Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Rich people love parking their stuff in USA through off shore accounts and all. If you read random newsbit about previous influential foreign leaders dying in a hospital - it tends to happen in an American hospital.

I mean the American dollar is the world’s most stable currency

But this kind of special treatment does not apply to goons or most Americans. Hence the usual complaints about the general state of US healthcare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

The US has excellent health care... if you can afford it.

Problem is that is a gigantic loving if in that sentence.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Which are of course correct complaints. I'm not defending the US at all, the best healthcare I've ever had was South Korea's government system. I'm just saying there are things the US does well, it's not all trash top to bottom.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
So I spent 4 nights in Kyoto and 2 nights in Tokyo. It was a super fun trip and I ate a lot of food, watched miyako odori. Ran along different rivers everyday and hung out with goons in Tokyo.

I know I have been making GBS threads on Osaka all the time but its slowly growing on to me. I’m still too used to touristing kanto

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
It's just got a way different vibe imo

Also exactly how bad is the dental?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I have read that most Japanese people don't get orthodontia and consider crooked teeth charming, which is why so many "cute" anime characters have a fang

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Yeah I just mean like. General care and fillings and stuff

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Gaman is the most powerful anaesthetic.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Johnny Truant posted:

I told my partner all about the prevalence of bidets in Japan and she was as confused by me as them. I really hope she falls in love with them cause she sounded so horrified at a jet of water on your bum :lol:

The analogy I like to use is, imagine if you were barefoot outside and you stepped in some poo poo. Would you want to wash your food or would you be good with just wiping it down with some toilet paper?

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

caberham posted:

I mean the American dollar is the world’s most stable currency

That's incorrect, the Yen is the world's most stable currency.

American dollar is just the defacto world currency tho

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I didn’t really experience any culture shock, at least none that I wasn’t prepared for. I knew about trash, TP, paper towels, no walking while eating, cash-society, toilet bidets. I’m actually surprised I didn’t have more trouble.

The only issue I had was communicating, either in English or Japanese. My JP isn’t good enough at times and English is like pulling teeth depending on the person.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

ntan1 posted:

That's incorrect, the Yen is the world's most stable currency.

American dollar is just the defacto world currency tho

That's also incorrect, it's the Swiss Franc or Cayman Islands Dollar apparently, according to my Google-fu

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Pollyanna posted:

English is like pulling teeth depending on the person.

There's an art to speaking English in a way ESL people can understand and it's different for each person's native language. Once you get used to it, you start to figure out how to phrase your sentences in a way that minimizes confusion, to the point where it's easier to use somewhat-improper grammar.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

totalnewbie posted:

There's an art to speaking English in a way ESL people can understand and it's different for each person's native language. Once you get used to it, you start to figure out how to phrase your sentences in a way that minimizes confusion, to the point where it's easier to use somewhat-improper grammar.

this

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

if you pronounce english words the way they do in animes they understand you better (seriously)

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

d0s posted:

if you pronounce english words the way they do in animes they understand you better (seriously)

One of the reasons why this is so funny.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yep. In Korea you just add a shitload of extraneous syllables.

Sprite? Nope. Seupeuraiteu? Yep.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

The only issue I had was communicating, either in English or Japanese. My JP isn’t good enough at times and English is like pulling teeth depending on the person.

This is still culture shock, and probably the biggest possible. And as others pointed out, there’s a difference between speaking like a native to others from the same country and speaking the language to be understood. Vocabulary is a big part of it.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Doctor Zero posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq01SLa6tFg

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Question! My brother and I were looking to tour the Asahi brewery in Suita when we go to Osaka. Apparently you need to call ahead for an English guided tour. A) Is it a worthwhile tour, and B), would any kind goons be willing to help me make that reservation? Please PM if the answer to both is yes.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Japan has a very very strong reservation culture so be prepared to make reservations!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I toured the Asahi Brewery in Saijo, Ehime but there's not much to see because the process happens inside huge metal tanks. If there's a tasting portion, go for it. I was with 60 kindergarteners so we just got cans of juice :/

(ps. yes Japan is a place where a Buddhist kindergarten goes on field trips to a beer factory :iia:)

MoofOntario
Jan 10, 2007

To Maintain the System the Abusive Power is Sometimes Necessary
-Pappa Brittle

Blackchamber posted:

That's also incorrect, it's the Swiss Franc or Cayman Islands Dollar apparently, according to my Google-fu

I'm not sure the Cayman Islands Dollar can really count, since its pegged to $1.21 USD (so it fluctuates in values against other currencies at the same rate the USD does)

MoofOntario
Jan 10, 2007

-Pappa Brittle

caberham posted:

Japan has a very very strong reservation culture so be prepared to make reservations!

I was very shocked that I needed a reservation to walk around the Yamazaki Distillery museum (not even the guided tour of where the whiskey is made). Of course I made a reservation and did the tour and promptly found out all the good whiskey is sold out...

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Doctor Zero posted:

please don't be mean to reina she's trying her best

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

MoofOntario posted:

I was very shocked that I needed a reservation to walk around the Yamazaki Distillery museum (not even the guided tour of where the whiskey is made). Of course I made a reservation and did the tour and promptly found out all the good whiskey is sold out...

its too close to stuff, to famous. go to yoichi up in hokkaido you just show up its free entry, no reservations and they give you like 4 glasses of whiskey. the sendai one i've also heard is good but i've not been.

bought 2 bottles of coffey malt and 1 apple brandy was good.

The only bad thing about yoichi was the ride there from Sapporo or Otaru. It the worst train ride I've ever ridden on, and I live in China.

It was packed with tourists, and I think I was the only white person on that train not going to niseko to ski. Because everyone had skis and giant suitcases and poo poo and no idea how to properly store them on the tiny-ish train, every local stop when people who lived around there had to get on and off was a huge loving thing. I remember 2 high school kids pushed through everyone's poo poo to get off to go home or whatever and 2 aussie dudes swore at them for touching their skis that had been blocking the door.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
The train ride to yoichi wasn’t so bad for me

MoofOntario
Jan 10, 2007

-Pappa Brittle

Magna Kaser posted:

its too close to stuff, to famous. go to yoichi up in hokkaido you just show up its free entry, no reservations and they give you like 4 glasses of whiskey. the sendai one i've also heard is good but i've not been.

I didn't make it up to Hokkaido this trip.. Next time I will dedicate time for it for sure. That sounds awesome btw, I will add it to my must visit list

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Speaking of whiskey in Hokkaido, Bar Gyu+ in Niseko is one of my favorite bars on the planet. Great whiskey, constant stream of jazz & hip hop on vinyl, and especially on snowy nights, the view out that window is amazing.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

caberham posted:

The train ride to yoichi wasn’t so bad for me

:agreed: I don't remember the train being that bad at all, aside from the large contingent of Chinese people that wouldn't shut up for the majority of the ride.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

highme posted:

Speaking of whiskey in Hokkaido, Bar Gyu+ in Niseko is one of my favorite bars on the planet. Great whiskey, constant stream of jazz & hip hop on vinyl, and especially on snowy nights, the view out that window is amazing.

Wow, I legit thought that window was a painting.

Here's a random question: when visiting the Imperial Gardens/Palace, is there something to reserve ahead of time? I seem to recall goons saying you need tickets to see part of it, but can just kind of wander into other parts? I kind of peeked at the official Japanese website but didn't find much; I'm going to do a bit more research tonight but anything else is helpful!

Next question: anything cool to do up around Itabashi? I'm meeting a friend of mine at her laboratory there, wondering if we should hang out in the area beforehand. I also realized we have like, nothing marked down for anything East of Sumida River, anything cool over there?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Magna Kaser posted:

It was packed with tourists, and I think I was the only white person on that train not going to niseko to ski. Because everyone had skis and giant suitcases and poo poo and no idea how to properly store them on the tiny-ish train, every local stop when people who lived around there had to get on and off was a huge loving thing. I remember 2 high school kids pushed through everyone's poo poo to get off to go home or whatever and 2 aussie dudes swore at them for touching their skis that had been blocking the door.

1. That shouldn’t be a shock going in winter anymore

2. Just call tell the Aussies “Move your facken sticks, ya deadset cunts”. That’s like politely asking them to clean up after themselves.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Johnny Truant posted:

Next question: anything cool to do up around Itabashi?
Nope!

Johnny Truant posted:

I also realized we have like, nothing marked down for anything East of Sumida River, anything cool over there?
Nope!

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Johnny Truant posted:

Here's a random question: when visiting the Imperial Gardens/Palace, is there something to reserve ahead of time? I seem to recall goons saying you need tickets to see part of it, but can just kind of wander into other parts? I kind of peeked at the official Japanese website but didn't find much; I'm going to do a bit more research tonight but anything else is helpful!

This might have the info you're looking for:
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3017.html

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Bofast posted:

This might have the info you're looking for:
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3017.html

Perfect, thanks!

Stringent posted:

Nope!

Nope!

:sax:

Good to know!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

harperdc posted:

2. Just call tell the Aussies “Move your facken sticks, ya deadset cunts”. That’s like politely asking them to clean up after themselves.

please do this

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Anyone have any good recommendation for zoos in/around Tokyo? One of my friends' favorite animal is red pandas and I was thinking we could go to the Ueno zoo

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
If I lived in Japan, how likely would it be that I could date a Japanese woman?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
0%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Define woman