Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

willie_dee posted:

I wont be updating in this the grappling thread, its boxing.

:justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
Don't be a bitch Willie - you can't tease that out

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

My coach once said that he thinks about me whenever he thinks about BJJ, because I’m such a baffling combination of good and bad, and that he’s determined to fix me as an exercise in the improvement of his own teaching skills.

That’s the secret to free privates, losers! Just be so bad that it’s fascinating to others

This me

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

old.flv posted:

Don't be a bitch Willie - you can't tease that out

Thems fighting words, you want it next is it.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.

willie_dee posted:

I want closure on this anecdote

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
Loud pop and pain on the medial part of my knee. Feels more meniscus than mcl, especially with how locked my knee is feeling this morning. I was looking forward to my first IBJJF in two weeks...

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

FiestaDePantalones posted:

Loud pop and pain on the medial part of my knee. Feels more meniscus than mcl, especially with how locked my knee is feeling this morning. I was looking forward to my first IBJJF in two weeks...

MRI, then PRP, and physical therapy. Hopefully you can avoid the knife.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

willie_dee posted:

STREETBEEFS!

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Finally got a chance to train again. It's been probably a month or more. I took the first two weeks of April off because of tax season, then the next week was holy week (in LatAm they take most of the week before Easter off. At least in Costa Rica, but I think it's a thing in LatAm in general). Then the week after that was... I dunno. Holiday hangover? Nobody showed up for Tuesday or Wednesday morning classes, and I caught a small cold for the normal Thursday class, which was infuriating.

Now, finally, I got to train and it was a good class. The morning class has shrunk considerably because the black belt that taught it has an insane work project going on, but a few blues and purples are still getting together to keep it going.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Jesus...

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:smith:

How did you do it?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I hope it turns out to be a fast heal

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

awkward_turtle posted:

Just got back from a two week European vacation and got to do a couple drop ins, the highlight of which was definitely getting to the blue basement for Danahers no-gi afternoon class. I expected the quality of instruction, I wasn't prepared for the intangibles of that room, what a training environment.
You should have let me know you were coming by so I could introduce you to everyone. Also Danaher morning crew 4 life.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

JaySB posted:

STREETBEEFS!

Someone sponsor it and let's have a big goon meet up on street beefz

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC

CommonShore posted:

:smith:

How did you do it?

Was in half guard (top). He kicked through the knee shield and went for the Faria style single leg (which we'd been drilling) without actually clearing his bottom legs from mine. I based out and was starting to go for a darce choke when he decided he just needed to pull harder with his bottom leg and something popped.

A little hard to explain, really, but our legs were wrapped up and neither wanted to give in.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

when he decided he just needed to pull harder with his bottom leg and something popped.

Well sounds like he was right

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Yuns posted:

You should have let me know you were coming by so I could introduce you to everyone. Also Danaher morning crew 4 life.

I actually considered PMing you, but the whole New York stopover was a very last minute change of plans caused by bad weather loving up my flight out of JFK. That and being hella socially awkward. I didn't catch the name of the guy I ended up drilling with, kinda wiry, facial hair, wry new york kinda ball breaking attitude. Seemed to be a regular and I think black belt but it's hard for me to tell no gi. Even without introduction I felt more welcomed there, as a slightly late arriving tourist, than I did at Rogers when I was early.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

willie_dee posted:

Someone sponsor it and let's have a big goon meet up on street beefz

I can legit make it happen... Someone who writes about poker also did a story on Streetbeefs and is close with the people in charge.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

spb posted:

Are privates worth it? I've never done it.

I paid $60 an hour for my professor and he showed me a lot of back transitions that I ended up working into my game and now I use all the time. Def worth it imo, but know what your goals are going into it.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Started learning some basic Darce chokes last night

these things are sick

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
Sorry lads no video, I'll do an update in the martial arts thread after food. Also to my haters, of which there are many, NYAAAAAH EASY WORK CAN'T TOUCH THIS.

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

these things are sick

If the angle is right, they're TIGHT. I always have problems feeding my underarm past the uke's neck.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

these things are sick

They are good. The only sub I've gotten a purple with.

My favorite is to hit them as a counter when uke underhooks me from bottom side or half. Then go to gable grip while controlling uke's head. And only when you've wriggled your arm in far enough, then transfer to hand on bicep control for the finish.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Count Roland posted:

They are good. The only sub I've gotten a purple with.

My favorite is to hit them as a counter when uke underhooks me from bottom side or half. Then go to gable grip while controlling uke's head. And only when you've wriggled your arm in far enough, then transfer to hand on bicep control for the finish.

Yep, that's deffo the best way to finish. The gable grip to pry their head down into their chest to give you enough room to finish the choke is money.

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!
Thanks for the tips. I'll report next week after battle testing.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Good week so far. I went from a month of no activity so far to:

Monday: Cardio
Tuesday: BJJ
Wednesday: Lifting
Thursday: BJJ

Plan for the rest of the week is to do BJJ on Saturday and try out Judo again on Sunday.

e: Judo club responded to me, closed this Sunday for tournament, will check it out next weekend.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 2, 2019

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3790003&perpage=40&pagenumber=106#post494742360 - here you go lads.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

No STREETBEEFS, no sale. :colbert:

I'm very disappointed in you, Willie Stacy Francis Underscore Dee!

(congrats on proving to yourself how far you've come :unsmith:)

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

If there is one thing that martial arts has taught me is that I would never want to get into a scrap in the street.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Yeah to paraphrase a funny kid mero joke it’s nice to know basic self defense but a kimura or RNC are hard to apply when your face is slashed up from a razor

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Yeah to paraphrase a funny kid mero joke it’s nice to know basic self defense but a kimura or RNC are hard to apply when your face is slashed up from a razor

And the flip side is if you defend yourself and kimura someone in the street, the best case scenario is that you've maimed someone.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I look at it like this, I know I will never be in a street fight and would run away if a street fight ever happened

but its nice to know all things being equal I could probably take the dude

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I had to grapple someone on Tuesday who took a swing at my friend's wife. Also probably saved the kid from being killed by her husband as he's a MASSIVE individual.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

So, fun moment in "this poo poo is legit" there were these two eight year old who were checking out the school and a couple of us did big dumb dad rolls with them for fun

one of the kids locked in a RNC and it was loving legit. Little 50lb kid choked my rear end out

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

So, fun moment in "this poo poo is legit" there were these two eight year old who were checking out the school and a couple of us did big dumb dad rolls with them for fun

one of the kids locked in a RNC and it was loving legit. Little 50lb kid choked my rear end out

Kids are fun to roll with. But grey belt and up you better take that poo poo seriously, because you better believe that 9 year old will.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

spacetoaster posted:

Kids are fun to roll with. But grey belt and up you better take that poo poo seriously, because you better believe that 9 year old will.

Yeah I was just amazed that a kid I could shoulder press with one arm could choke me out like nothing if he got the hold in. Honestly I even let him do it because I figured "how bad could it be?" One of those things where you appreciate how much technique matters more than strength.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I got legit choked unconscious when a 12 yr old slapped a baseball choke on me from the bottom out of nowhere. Kids got no chill lol

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah I was just amazed that a kid I could shoulder press with one arm could choke me out like nothing if he got the hold in. Honestly I even let him do it because I figured "how bad could it be?" One of those things where you appreciate how much technique matters more than strength.

Give the 7 year old choke a try

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8vF9ktwsqI

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I got caught with that choke recently, but instead of a 7-year old with no clue it was a 27-year-old with no mercy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

I'm going to totally bust this out tomorrow (and then not give you credit for bringing it to my attention)!