Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't seen any full reviews, but there's a few brief impressions of it and they seem to be universally positive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The point of these early preview reviews is to generate hype. They’re a marketing stunt, you’ll never hear people attending these screenings and tweeting about how they sucked.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The suicide squad ones gave pretty bad impressions before real reviews were out.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I think we can count "Better than Suicide Squad" as a win for a video game adaptation.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Vegetable posted:

The point of these early preview reviews is to generate hype. They’re a marketing stunt, you’ll never hear people attending these screenings and tweeting about how they sucked.

No, negative buzz happens occasionally after these kinds of things if the movie is truly awful, that's why sometimes studios just bite the bullet and have no early screenings of a movie at all. That's kind of the Hail Mary pass of the film world, anyone who pays attention will know right away that "No early screening = huge red flag", but the studios still think (hope) they can trick enough people into going to the theater so that they can make some kind of profit before word of mouth gets out about what a stinker they've made.

So, if nothing else, we now know the Detective Pikachu movie won't be COMPLETELY terrible.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

That’s not accurate in my experience. I used to program at a movie theater and we got preview screenings of everything from garbage zombie comedies to medium-budget Oscar hopefuls. The only common factor was that the movies weren’t tracking well (in terms of expected box office) and they thought the audience could generate some organic buzz.

The more consistently damning indicator is the review embargo. They still have one week to lift it so I don’t think this movie is necessarily getting that treatment.

e: yup, just read that embargo will be lifted Thursday this week.

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 12:14 on May 2, 2019

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
They’re also really leaning I to Ryan Reynolds' charisma and charm to promote the movie which totally works

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

They’re probably waiting until the last minute to let the reviews out because they need as much distance from Avengers as they can get.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

here’s my review: detective pikachu is “Super Effective”

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

oddium posted:

here’s my review: detective pikachu is “Super Effective”

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Nth Doctor posted:

They do happen on occasion, but sweet scent is the fuckin' way to go. I spent so many weeks trying to catch a goddamned Taillow in X before learning about sweet scent.

I'm playing through second gen and there's an NPC in Ilex Forest that explains how Sweet Scent can be used out of battle. Second gen! Summoning horde encounters with it in 6th gen blew my mind.

Hamethyst
Apr 2, 2019

I'm playing ORAS, my first real Pokemon game (I'm also playing GO and Let's Go Eevee)! Anybody wanna be friends? 1564-5336-4476

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Hamethyst posted:

I'm playing ORAS, my first real Pokemon game (I'm also playing GO and Let's Go Eevee)! Anybody wanna be friends? 1564-5336-4476

I'm about to start up OR again after my copy was stolen few years back, sure. 3883-6060-4109. I'll add when I'm out of work and have internet on my 3ds.

Hamethyst
Apr 2, 2019

Oyster posted:

I'm about to start up OR again after my copy was stolen few years back, sure. 3883-6060-4109. I'll add when I'm out of work and have internet on my 3ds.

Hell yeah! Thanks Oyster.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Speaking of ORAS, got a bunch of Aron's yesterday. Highlights include Steel Head, Superpower, a couple HAs, but most importantly a Head Smash/Rocky head combo.

Then I went and got mad at Dad's gym and its inverted difficulty. Those Delicatty trainers were way more threatening than the tough linoones. The Zangoose were ohko fodder, and lmao slaking has Truant.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

SuperKlaus posted:

Is there any trick to catching the Gen 1 legendary birb in X or am I really stuck roaming Kalos forever praying the annoying thing doesn't decide to change routes across the country before I can reach its location?

If you're still having trouble with this, yeah there's a trick.

Head to the first town (the one with the bug gym - sorry, I forgot its name) and hop on your bike. The upper exit of the town is a gate that is conveniently next to several patches of grass and has no load screen to exit/enter. Put a Pokémon below the birb's level (50 iirc) but above the wild Pokémon of the area's level and use a repel. Bike around in the grass for a bit, cycle down, reset the birb's location, cycle up, repeat.

Carry lots of repels. Don't even bother checking the location honestly. Just repeat this process until you get the encounter. I did it three times, one for each birb, and it never takes more than about 20 minutes.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

The biggest thing about Detective Pikachu is that all the Pokemon designs at least look like someone gave a poo poo about the source material. As stated before by previous goons, it feels like a labor of love, and it feels like at least SOMEONE working on it looks like they gave at least a bit of a poo poo about the end product.

Sonic, on the other hand, you can feel the design-by-committee and execs giving it the Poochy treatment. Nothing in any of the film's material released so far leads me to believe anyone cared anything about the franchise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6t_CyLNnZo&t=507s

This guy sums it up pretty well.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

The biggest thing about Detective Pikachu is that all the Pokemon designs at least look like someone gave a poo poo about the source material. As stated before by previous goons, it feels like a labor of love, and it feels like at least SOMEONE working on it looks like they gave at least a bit of a poo poo about the end product.

Sonic, on the other hand, you can feel the design-by-committee and execs giving it the Poochy treatment. Nothing in any of the film's material released so far leads me to believe anyone cared anything about the franchise.

the writer is a frequent guest on Doughboys and he definitely cares. he’s just also a really boring and unfunny loser

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

indigi posted:

the writer is a frequent guest on Doughboys and he definitely cares. he’s just also a really boring and unfunny loser

For Pikachu or Sonic?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Sonic

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Anyway we should stop pitting Sonic and Pikachu they are clearly friends

https://twitter.com/Cleytito_/status/1058007846422376449

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Electric Phantasm posted:

Anyway we should stop pitting Sonic and Pikachu they are clearly friends

https://twitter.com/Cleytito_/status/1058007846422376449

https://twitter.com/akioco/status/1123875751688843265

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

All I see is that Detective Pikachu, much like his voice over DeVito, is too fat to run.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Do NPC Pokemon ever have EV bonuses? And their Natures are random right? I was feeling pretty good about how one of my team took a super effective Flamethrower from an equal-level Chandelure and (barely) lived because that's a solid move from a very high Special Attack user. Then I realized it probably had no EVs or helpful Nature and with those would have killed my guy.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

SuperKlaus posted:

Do NPC Pokemon ever have EV bonuses? And their Natures are random right? I was feeling pretty good about how one of my team took a super effective Flamethrower from an equal-level Chandelure and (barely) lived because that's a solid move from a very high Special Attack user. Then I realized it probably had no EVs or helpful Nature and with those would have killed my guy.

Usually only the E4 and stuff in the Battle Tree/tower/etc have EVs. They usually also have set natures.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Sonic, on the other hand, you can feel the design-by-committee

this is what sonic has been since literally 1991

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Oyster posted:

Added you both. Feel free to hit me up if you want to evolve a trade evo Pokemon or something

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Hamethyst posted:

Oyster posted:

Added you both. I'm 3798-2728-5770.

Xander B Coolridge posted:

If you're still having trouble with this, yeah there's a trick.

Awesome! Thanks!

Zore posted:

Usually only the E4 and stuff in the Battle Tree/tower/etc have EVs. They usually also have set natures.

That actually makes me feel better because the Chandelure was Phoebe's in the OR E4 rematch battle, so maybe it *did* have some Special Attack EVs and/or Nature and I soaked the hit anyway! Thanks a lot for the information.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Huh, I always thought of Venusaur as slow but it actually has a decent speed(and is actually slightly faster than Blastoise).

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Zore posted:

While not the same, Cynthia's team has perfect IVs for all her champion fights in DPPt. She also has pretty good coverage in both pokemon and moves. I remember way back then a lot of people being caught off guard by this.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Anyone play Pokémon Rumble World? How is it, and how heavy are the freemium parts? I really enjoyed the original Rumble on Wii when it came out but I haven’t played one since.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Zore posted:

I don't know if recent games are any different but no Elite Four I've ever fought has had EVs. (You'd be able to tell drat near immediately if they did. EVs can make even regular trainers substantially more threatening.)

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Sun and Moon were the first games with any non-battle tower trainers having EVs.

Most games have had IV spreads. 250 is typical for Elite 4. Though from what I can tell the IVs are spread mostly evenly.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Crosscontaminant posted:

I don't know if recent games are any different but no Elite Four I've ever fought has had EVs. (You'd be able to tell drat near immediately if they did. EVs can make even regular trainers substantially more threatening.)

Ah, I checked into it some more and its specifically a thing only in Gen VII where they gave EVs to a ton of poo poo.

So like the E4, Trial Captains, Guzma, and a bunch of the other storyline bosses have EVs (along with all those optional 'beat everyone else on the route' trainers).

In previous gens it was just the Battle Tower/Tree/Subway/Facility/Whatever

Hamethyst
Apr 2, 2019

RatHat posted:

Added you both. Feel free to hit me up if you want to evolve a trade evo Pokemon or something

Thank you!

Hamethyst
Apr 2, 2019

SuperKlaus posted:

Added you both. I'm 3798-2728-5770.

Awesome! Thanks!

That actually makes me feel better because the Chandelure was Phoebe's in the OR E4 rematch battle, so maybe it *did* have some Special Attack EVs and/or Nature and I soaked the hit anyway! Thanks a lot for the information.

Thank you, friend!

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Detective Pikachu reviews rolling in and looking really good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlFvAJswzVE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAAzdII3W8A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WngVLufaUmM

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 3, 2019

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

In that same vein I think that Coach Trainers juice up their mons with candy compared to normal trainers that don't in Let's Go..

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Of note, Nanu's Persian-A has a Timid nature and EVs and IVs maxed out to be as fast as possible.

Which made it really weird when I sauntered up to him with a Ribombee (that had been outspeeding everything I'd met up until now, even had a speed boosting nature and, I eventually learned, a natural 31 Speed IV) expecting to one-shot it and it instead one-shot me with Power Gem.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 06:50 on May 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bleck posted:

this is what sonic has been since literally 1991

But back then he was just Felix the Cat recoloured with spikes.

Design by committee comes in a few different forms; the lazy 'rip off what works and make token changes' result and the platypus result.