Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Silent Hill crossover?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Diabetes Forecast posted:

all things considered the mod looks like a joke considering it was made by "Comrade Skeet" and "fat dong"
this post looks like a joke considering it was made by "Diabetes Forecast"

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

this post looks like a joke considering it was made by "Diabetes Forecast"

this post is too scary to read considering it was made by "Ghostlight"

Orv
May 4, 2011
Die.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits
It may be a terrible mod, but at least it didn’t explore the rim part of rimworld.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
ETA for Rimming World mod.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Search your feelings etc

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

Found some Red Dwarf mods, does that count?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Leal posted:

ETA for Rimming World mod.

Sorry it's called RimjobWorld and is available from the fine people of the 'slab, but you were pretty close.

:nws:https://www.loverslab.com/files/file/7257-rimjobworld-199f/:nws:

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Midnight Voyager posted:

Silent Hill crossover?

Just wanted to say how very, very much I appreciated this. Thank you, kind citizen.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hel posted:

Sorry it's called RimjobWorld and is available from the fine people of the 'slab, but you were pretty close.

Yeah if you want rimworld horror you want the mod that features insect oviposition pregnancy rape.

Because normal people like to wank to that.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Hel posted:

'heh, a mod where you can eat rear end seems practically wholesome by comparison'

*clicks*

'ohhh of course'

the asterisk in the disclaimer links to a post that's like, 'there are mods for serial killer poo poo, can't imagine someone being upset at a little sex' well maybe both are fuckin gross, dude

I for one reject the video game 'murderer'/'rapist' binary but maybe I'm the weird one here

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Peanut Butler posted:

the asterisk in the disclaimer links to a post that's like, 'there are mods for serial killer poo poo, can't imagine someone being upset at a little sex' well maybe both are fuckin gross, dude

I for one reject the video game 'murderer'/'rapist' binary but maybe I'm the weird one here

Imagine having enough intelligence to understand videogames are not reality and that morality is arbitrary and subjective, yet being so mentally stunted as to think playing pretend-rapist for giggles--just because you can--is normal and good and not a sign of serious brainproblems.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

quote:

Imagine having enough intelligence to understand videogames are not reality and that morality is arbitrary and subjective, yet being so mentally stunted as to think playing pretend-rapist for giggles--just because you can--is normal and good and not a sign of serious brainproblems.
On the one hand, I kind of agree. On the other hand, it is really a hilariously hypocritical thing to say. I'm pretty sure the only reason the "serial killer poo poo" seems any less disturbing is because the idea of casual killing as a central game mechanic of most video games is so pervasive that has it has become normalized to our perception.

I mean, really, when you think about it from the perspective of someone who isn't already desensitized to the thought, the idea that there is a actually whole series of games where people role-play a remorseless contract killer and act out an elaborate simulation of the experience of committing indiscriminate mass-murder for entertainment sounds just a little bit sociopathic.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Cardiovorax posted:

On the one hand, I kind of agree. On the other hand, it is really a hilariously hypocritical thing to say. I'm pretty sure the only reason the "serial killer poo poo" seems any less disturbing is because the idea of casual killing as a central game mechanic of most video games is so pervasive that has it has become normalized to our perception.

I mean, really, when you think about it from the perspective of someone who isn't already desensitized to the thought, the idea that there is a actually whole series of games where people role-play a remorseless contract killer and act out an elaborate simulation of the experience of committing indiscriminate mass-murder for entertainment sounds just a little bit sociopathic.

It's only hypocritical if you make a lot of incorrect assumptions about a person you don't know, but I'm sure in some alternate universe that's a powerful own. :v:

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

It should be noted it's kind of a weak defense anyway. You can kill innocent civilians in a bunch of games but it's not like any mainstream video game lets you kidnap and torture people for fun, or mutilate them with extreme detail. Sexual assault is considered a special kind of evil for a good reason, and I would argue it is far more comparable (for many reasons) to a serial killer kidnapping and torturing people than it is to wanton spree killings on the streets of Los Santos or whatever.

Like, if somebody did release a game like that there'd be a lot of noise made and we might see something like the Manhunt 2 case happen all over again where actual countries straight up ban the game. Games seem to have these surprisingly well-defined lines of good taste which generally aren't to be crossed - just look at the controversy that infamous mission in GTAV where you torture someone for information caused. And that mission specifically condemned the actions taken and pointed out how they were completely pointless.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

silentsnack posted:

It's only hypocritical if you make a lot of incorrect assumptions about a person you don't know, but I'm sure in some alternate universe that's a powerful own. :v:
Sorry if that came across as a personal attack or anything, it's just one of those pet peeve things. I completely understand being grossed out by rape mods and all that, I just don't really buy the idea that getting your gratification from non-sexual violence is actually any better. Desensitization is a real thing and I think gamers in general are kind of in denial about that.

quote:

It should be noted it's kind of a weak defense anyway. You can kill innocent civilians in a bunch of games but it's not like any mainstream video game lets you kidnap and torture people for fun, or mutilate them with extreme detail.
Kind of like this. "Brutalizing civilians for fun is perfectly fine because it's at least not extended torture" seems like a bit of an arbitrary line to draw when you're still pretend-murdering a bunch of random people just for the fun of it.

I mean, I don't actually think it turns people into psychopaths, but it's not any less hosed up either. You're still getting your jollies from victimizing innocent little pixel mans. Doesn't really seem like it would matter how, specifically.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 1, 2019

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Sorry if that came across as a personal attack or anything, it's just one of those pet peeve things. I completely understand being grossed out by rape mods and all that, I just don't really buy the idea that getting your gratification from non-sexual violence is actually any better. Desensitization is a real thing and I think gamers in general are kind of in denial about that.

Likewise that wasn't really meant to be combative, just smartassing for my own (pointless) amusement.

Also I'm not disagreeing with your point. Seeking entertainment/gratification by immersing oneself in acting out simulated violence is not exactly good for mental health, and it probably isn't strictly better than fantasizing about incest/rape/etc.

But the thing with "violent games" is that maybe there should be some distinction because at least with some combat-related games there is a layer of strategy/tactics (generally more important than the combat itself, even if that is the core gameplay the purpose of combat is to get resources or win missions for some goal) so there's the possibility of outsmarting an opponent or making use of the game's systems to progress through the game, vs how the moral-panicking types always pretend every game is Mass Shooting Simulator 2019 or Child Murder Studio Pro or whatev.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

But the thing with "violent games" is that maybe there should be some distinction because at least with some combat-related games there is a layer of strategy/tactics (generally more important than the combat itself, even if that is the core gameplay the purpose of combat is to get resources or win missions for some goal) so there's the possibility of outsmarting an opponent or making use of the game's systems to progress through the game, vs how the moral-panicking types always pretend every game is Mass Shooting Simulator 2019 or Child Murder Studio Pro or whatev.
Yeah, you're of course right that there's a difference between enjoying the challenge of the combat and getting off on the violence in and of itself. Still, when I see things like the "non-lethal" hand to hand combat of Sleeping Dogs that somehow still features literal rains of blood and gore gratuitously spraying all over the place when you do things like shoving people face-first into rooftop ventilation fans, I do kind of have to wonder just how much of the appeal for some people really does come just from getting to brutalize someone. It's kind of telling that this kind of thing is so normal these days that many games treat graphic and realistic gore and violence as a selling point in its own right.

Then again I found systematically de-limbing zombies in RE2make a lot more fun than is probably entirely healthy, so it's not like I'm any better.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 1, 2019

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Look. I can grab the next customer who demands I pull ~*~fresher~*~ broccoli from the back and kick their kneecap in. Or I can play a video game where I'm an undercover cop in Hong Kong and kick in the kneecaps of traid gang members.

One of these is extremely illegal.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Violence is hella cool that's why we used to make people fight to the death.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Leal posted:

One of these is extremely illegal.
Is it video games? Please tell me it's video games. There are so many people I want to kick, and I don't even work retail.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

I don't like realistically violent video games- GTA comes the closest, and its a cartoon where you get to fight cops-

but also, and maybe this isn't everyone, I rarely fear being murdered on a day-to-day basis, compared to a fear being sexually assaulted- murder for arbitrary reasons is really quite rare, and almost universally met with disgust; sexual assault irl is largely normalized in a lot of spaces

so I'm a lot more comfortable in general with murder sims than rape sims

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Cardiovorax posted:

This is the logic behind the Drakengard series, for what it's worth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD6xCLlF5dY

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Violence in videogames is super weird and comparing violence against civilians in games/violence against innocents IRL and torture in games/torture IRL is not as direct a comparison as it first appears.

'Defeating' enemies in videogames has a long historical context. When you gun down somebody in a videogame, it hearkens to other acts of videogame violence, for which there is a context. It fails to shock the way it 'should' because you've got a big file folder full of 'things I've shot in videogames' and it gets filed under that.

Heinous acts do not have that context and instead go straight into the folder marked, 'wow hosed up, like what'.

When a game manages to bypass the very filters we've created to make videogames okay, it's becomes super bad. Whether or not the things that go into the 'things I've shot in videogames' folder is therefore 'okay' is up for debate but it's why some things seem worse than others.

I think the reason why it's 'okay' to shoot random passerby in GTA but it's not 'okay' to do a torture QTE is mostly because of this, but it's worth noting that the pointless violence in GTA got a lot of attention as well, back in the day.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Peanut Butler posted:

but also, and maybe this isn't everyone, I rarely fear being murdered on a day-to-day basis, compared to a fear being sexually assaulted- murder for arbitrary reasons is really quite rare, and almost universally met with disgust; sexual assault irl is largely normalized in a lot of spaces

so I'm a lot more comfortable in general with murder sims than rape sims
I can completely understand that and I really don't blame you.

Taciturn Tactician posted:

The Dark Id LPs were a real trip. It's not often that you see a game where every character is so utterly, irredeemably awful that the pedophile is the indisputably least horrible person of the entire cast.

quote:

'Defeating' enemies in videogames has a long historical context. When you gun down somebody in a videogame, it hearkens to other acts of videogame violence, for which there is a context. It fails to shock the way it 'should' because you've got a big file folder full of 'things I've shot in videogames' and it gets filed under that.
Pretty much. That's why I said it has become normalized, but not necessarily any more psychologically healthy.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Taciturn Tactician posted:

What's this annoying puppet gimmick youtuber going to tell me about draken...... ohhhhhh it's the director. Nier's existence suddenly making a lot more sense

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Flannelette posted:

What's this annoying puppet gimmick youtuber going to tell me about draken...... ohhhhhh it's the director. Nier's existence suddenly making a lot more sense

I see you are experiencing Yoko Taro firsthand for the first time. That confusion is normal and healthy.

Honestly there's no real "good" answer to violence vs sexuality in games; American culture - and probably culture in a lot of other places - is so inconcievably hosed that trying to reach any sort of consensus where things make sense and don't contradict each other is likely impossible. The hypocrisy is baked in to humanity, at this point.

I feel like the big problem with sexual violence - which is to say, rape - in a lot of media is that it's not presented as something "sick" and "wrong" as often as it should be unless there's actual torture or nonsexual violence involved. Nonsexualized violence has largely been something we've been desensitized to, but in general people can still see a fountain of blood and have a visceral "oh, that's not a good thing to happen" reaction. Contrast sexual abuse and rape, where the reaction is either abject denial or victim blaming and justification. Not "oh, that's awful" but "it didn't happen" or "you're getting your just desserts". There are a lot of people who act like that sort of thing is okay in the world, which is why there needs to be that much more outcry about it.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Flannelette posted:

Yoko Taro doesn't like being on camera, the sock puppet was before he picked up his now signature look from the Nier Automata reveal at Square's E3 press conference.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

Honestly there's no real "good" answer to violence vs sexuality in games; American culture - and probably culture in a lot of other places - is so inconcievably hosed that trying to reach any sort of consensus where things make sense and don't contradict each other is likely impossible.
It's also incongrously permissive about depictions of violence specifically. Where I live you can see full frontal nudity on daytime TV sometimes and boy, wouldn't that have the whole nation up in arms #nipplegate, but any game that would get an 18+ rating in the US can't even be openly sold where minors could see it, never mind buy it.

Not gonna lie, I know more than a few people who find it kind of disturbing that you can own like a million guns but God help you if you put your tits out on the beach.

KataraniSword posted:

Contrast sexual abuse and rape, where the reaction is either abject denial or victim blaming and justification. Not "oh, that's awful" but "it didn't happen" or "you're getting your just desserts". There are a lot of people who act like that sort of thing is okay in the world, which is why there needs to be that much more outcry about it.
Depressingly enough, this is an attitude I probably see more often in real life than in works of fiction.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Cardiovorax posted:

The Dark Id LPs were a real trip. It's not often that you see a game where every character is so utterly, irredeemably awful that the pedophile is the indisputably least horrible person of the entire cast.

Said pedophile even recognized that his urges were hosed up and dangerous, and hated himself for having them, because he could not bear the thought of actually harming a child. :smith:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The ethics of depictions of objectionable material in media are...complicated, especially if your ethical analysis includes the actual effects of the product. Intended design by the developer is significant, but effect and construction by the media recipient is even harder to suss out and is a part of the calculus.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Schubalts posted:

Said pedophile even recognized that his urges were hosed up and dangerous, and hated himself for having them, because he could not bear the thought of actually harming a child. :smith:
Which is surprisingly nuanced for a game about dragons, cannibal elves and evil space babies. Credit where it's due.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/manfightdragon/status/1123820880281391104

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
I presume all-star was the music playing (didn't click)

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

Depressingly enough, this is an attitude I probably see more often in real life than in works of fiction.

yeah :smith:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Cardiovorax posted:

Therein lies the problem, yes.

People are generally able to look at a violent thing, even in fiction, and go "yes, this is a bad thing". In the other situation, so many people refuse to acknowledge it's even there.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Schubalts posted:

Hell, when we first see him, he’s just tried and failed to kill himself by cutting his own throat. He joins the party because he’s certain he’ll get killed going along with the violent madman that is the main character.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8avAIcwk9Qg

here have another link as well

https://www.siliconera.com/2019/05/03/fallout-4-gets-a-sweet-anime-mod-that-lets-you-make-cute-characters-and-npcs/

General Morden fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Even when they're animated they still have the vacant look of death.