Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

S.J. posted:

But... she tells you who it is. It isn't ambiguous.

I know! I am just saying if the spoilers are accurate. I am not saying it makes sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

ImpAtom posted:

I know! I am just saying if the spoilers are accurate. I am not saying it makes sense

Sorry, it's just so loving stupid. ugh

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I was one of the ones who actually liked FFXV. But all the stuff that it keeps putting out just make it worse.

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"
I really like the way FFXV incorporates elements from previous final fantasy games, like the world of ruin, but in different and unexpected ways. The main flaw is it doesn’t necessarily tell you why things are important and certain parts of the story just happen off camera leaving you scratching your head. I remember watching the Kingsglaive movie when it came out and having no idea what was happening but after playing the game and being confused about what was happening I watched the movie and it made sense.

But there’s some stuff later in the story that just sort of happens and you really have no idea why it’s happening.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah I was also confused. I felt like there was a big cutscene I missed, but no. They just decided not to show things. And it's not like the characters are also figuring things out, it's like they also were a part of some cutscenes that we weren't privy to.

I still enjoyed the ending. There was just a really really weird gulf between the desert train station and driving the car into that fortress where I felt like I skipped a few chapters.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

jokes posted:

I still enjoyed the ending. There was just a really really weird gulf between the desert train station and driving the car into that fortress where I felt like I skipped a few chapters.

i didn't think it felt like they skipped many chapters starting from that point, but basically everything between meeting j*red and the end of altissia feels like 80% of the cutscenes were dropped

i was kind of bummed that the alternate chapter 13 was played pretty straight, instead of ignis and gladio's straight-man humor gears grinding against each other

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I guess I'll put this in spoilers.
Was it just the LP or is the whole reveal about Prompto just hollow and worthless in the game, too? It doesn't feel like it goes anywhere or Noctis has any meaningful reaction to it. It was...anticlimactic in the extreme.

My memory of everything at the end is that it felt incredibly rushed.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Was it just the LP or is the whole reveal about Prompto just hollow and worthless in the game, too? It doesn't feel like it goes anywhere or Noctis has any meaningful reaction to it. It was...anticlimactic in the extreme.

in the main game it's absolutely not a huge deal, either to the characters or to the story. it exists as a way to show that he can open the doors or whatever, but it doesn't carry a bunch of emotional weight that it probably ought to. I don't know if any of that is expounded upon in his DLC

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"
Prompto just tells them without fully explaining it - there is a memorable moment - but they just accept what he says without asking any questions, so it’s not entirely clear what he means. Clearly he is a Magitek Clone but they don’t clarify what that actually means until his DLC.

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
The reveal of Ardyn’s true identity is confusing and hinges on you remembering the family names of lore characters. In general once you leave the open world the whole game gets very confusing and it seems like the story is missing bits. For example the entire Niflheim empire is taken over offscreen by Ardyn while you are in transit from one place to another place.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I can sort of see what they were going for with the Prompto reveal, he's beaten up over being different but when he tells his friends they don't care and he should grow to accept himself. It ties into the backstory from the anime where he was an insecure fat kid, and that gets touched on in one of the inn cutscenes too. But it definitely could have been executed less clunkily.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

NikkolasKing posted:

If you play his DLC when you're supposed to (when he leaves the party) then it makes plenty of sense. Dunno why they tell you to wait until after you've played the game for that. Ignis' DLC is the only one that should be left to the post game, although I say that having not played Episode Ardyn yet

I've only played the windows version of XV so I can't imagine how confusing the game's initial story was on release, especially after seeing all the stuff they added

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

NikkolasKing posted:

his background is expanded on in the dlc, Metal Gear Prompto, but--and i must stress this is the best part of it--the 30s long epilogue says everything that needed to be said. prompto is like "noct you must hate me man i'm a magitek soldier" and noct is like "no brah you're just prompto"

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

So, I bit the bullet and bought the 12 remaster for Switch today, already a little bit in after exploring all over the starter city. Aside from watching the first few hours of it from an LP, I’m pretty much blind. Anything in particular I should be warned about in advance?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Regalingualius posted:

So, I bit the bullet and bought the 12 remaster for Switch today, already a little bit in after exploring all over the starter city. Aside from watching the first few hours of it from an LP, I’m pretty much blind. Anything in particular I should be warned about in advance?

Be careful casting magic around the big glowy ball dudes. Explore because there are a LOT of optional areas in the game. They'll often be way over your level when you can first access them, but if you're brave and run through the areas like a madman you can get some nice stuff early.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
what is up with bahamuts pretty eye flashes. you see it after ifrit and in ep ardyn

also was ardyn controlling ifrit or not

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Square you cowards. Put Final Fantasy 1-6 on the Switch!

And don't half them please!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
NES versions of 1 and 2, DS versions of 3 and 4, Steam versions of 5 and 6.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Final Fantasy: Grudge collection

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Mega64 posted:

I would be fine with NES FF1 & FFII (fat chance they would translate that) if it ends up on the Nintendo NES App.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Be Depressive posted:

The reveal of Ardyn’s true identity is confusing and hinges on you remembering the family names of lore characters. In general once you leave the open world the whole game gets very confusing and it seems like the story is missing bits. For example the entire Niflheim empire is taken over offscreen by Ardyn while you are in transit from one place to another place.

It doesn't help that the sound mix of when Ardyn does his grand reveal is absolute poo poo, I had to rewatch the cutscene later with subtitles to know what he was saying.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Regalingualius posted:

Loot is pretty random because each chest is set to one of a couple items which may just be gold, and they may not spawn at all. Don't go grinding for 10% rare drops, that way lies madness, just play the items you're dealt. Still go for chests and steals and such, just don't get bent out of shape if you don't get anything.

You get one item (Diamond Armlet) that changes the loot tables of chests. In the original the chests where this was worth it were scattered all over the place and pretty much needed a guide. In the Zodiac version it's just the Cerobi Steppe, and it's everything in the Steppe, so no need to get bent out of shape.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I didn't know until today but Monteblanc will let you respec for free and you can save multiple gambit loadouts in the Switch and Bone ports from this week and both are amazing qol features

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Rirse posted:

I would be fine with NES FF1 & FFII (fat chance they would translate that) if it ends up on the Nintendo NES App.

Honestly I think the ideal way to experience FF1 is to play the NES version until you get annoyed enough to quit, and then just play one of the remakes if you absolutely must experience the first rudimentary FF story. I will always appreciate the NES Final Fantasy for blowing my mind as a child and showing me that games could be more complex than platformers and shooters, and could engage with my imagination.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Bruceski posted:

Loot is pretty random because each chest is set to one of a couple items which may just be gold, and they may not spawn at all. Don't go grinding for 10% rare drops, that way lies madness, just play the items you're dealt. Still go for chests and steals and such, just don't get bent out of shape if you don't get anything.

You get one item (Diamond Armlet) that changes the loot tables of chests. In the original the chests where this was worth it were scattered all over the place and pretty much needed a guide. In the Zodiac version it's just the Cerobi Steppe, and it's everything in the Steppe, so no need to get bent out of shape.

In the Zodiac Age version there are a lot of fixed chests that contain important things like spells, so it's definitely worthwhile to explore to seek out chests. But yeah, don't keep zoning back and forth trying to farm the random respawning chests.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Yeah, just use cure to find where you are on the RNG instead to get exactly what you want

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
FFXII is the only game in the series that I never tire of playing. This is my third time buying it and I have no regrets. It’s just so good.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Up to chapter 8 in FFXV and this game has weird rear end pacing. Chapter 3 obviously goes on awhile if you eat your vegetables do your side quests, but since I've moved on I feel like half the game has been devoted to either finding a boat or fixing said boat. It just feels weird that a game with such an epic scope is so willing to slam on the brakes and send you on macguffin patrol for like three chapters rather than just letting you go on to the next area.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/hyssand/status/1123954695981105153

amano retire bitch

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I beat FFX today, which man Yuna ultimate weapon plus her using a lot of Lulu's grid sphere just made her so broken that the final boss didn't even get more then a single attack off. I picked up FFXII on the Switch, but wonder if I should play X-2 next since I never played it and X is fresh in my memory to remember characters. If I play X-2, what some tips?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Endorph posted:

amano retire bitch

i've reread his answer to question 4 like 5 times and trying to figure out what the problem with it is (which this tweeter person pointed out for some reason)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Phantasium posted:

i've reread his answer to question 4 like 5 times and trying to figure out what the problem with it is (which this tweeter person pointed out for some reason)
attributing a basically functioning society with fire fighters and public services to the LDP

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Endorph posted:

attributing a basically functioning society with fire fighters and public services to the LDP

it looked more like he just liked those things and was asking them to provide those things but i can see that too i guess. i also have no loving clue what this was translated from or what nuance would be lost there so eh.

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006

DrNutt posted:

It just feels weird that a game with such an epic scope is so willing to slam on the brakes and send you on macguffin patrol for like three chapters rather than just letting you go on to the next area.

The first two times it says “you may not be able to return” it doesn’t mean much but after that it really does, and the rest of the game is accelerated or skipped plot line combined with several macguffin patrol areas which are actually kinda cool little tributes to previous final fantasy games. You can return to the open world in the latter part of the game and after the story is done, but it doesn’t quite make sense how or why you do that.

I don’t dislike the game but there’s this awesome open world and you leave it about halfway through. Like, you’re still collecting minerals to change your car color towards the end of the game even though your car is long gone.

Also you spend a ridiculous amount of time learning all this cooking and collecting ingredients and you can’t use them at the end of the game because there’s only dorm beds.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Mega64 posted:

I'd prefer the PSP versions of 1&2&4 and the GBA version of 6.

3 and 5 can be whatever version since I won't buy them.

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
I must be the one person who really liked the 3 remake. My only complaint is the lack of save points in the last hour of the game but you can use a cheat on the DS version that lets you save anywhere.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

OhFunny posted:

I'd prefer the PSP versions of 1&2&4 and the GBA version of 6.

3 and 5 can be whatever version since I won't buy them.

... Mega intentionally picked the "worst" port of each of these.

Although I will admit to liking FF4 3DS and, despite all its' issues, playing a version of FF1 with MP seems wrong. Still, the PS version still has spell slots, with most of the equipment / magic / other bugs resolved?

derra fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 2, 2019

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Welp, I guess Amano is also going into the celebrity garbage dump.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Man Crestholm Channels can suck my loving dick, pardon my French.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DrNutt posted:

Man Crestholm Channels can suck my loving dick, pardon my French.

the location of the headlights in that place is downright mean