Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Mindfulness and meditation apps can actually do a serious number on your mental health so

There was a really good article I read that basically was like yeah it's cool unless you're one of the people who get the weird thoughts and can't shut them off and meditation makes you insane

discussed previously in thread, already noted in op :)

nevertheless it helps a lot of people so it ought to be included

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I found a weed hookup and im feeling considerably better about life now, lol

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I was able to stop my internal monologue and self talk pretty successfully and I think that it's helped a lot with anxious thoughts. I think that a lot of CBT can be applied to that kind of stuff.

The stuff that does make me anxious isn't any less overwhelming, but just not thinking about it as often is very nice.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I picked up some stuff around the apartment today and spent an hour bagging and boarding my pile of alreadt-read 2000AD. It feels good to feel like I accomplished something, even if it was just some trash and then putting away comics

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
for some reason I'm able to cope with the climate thread here because I want to know what's going on and the fundamental reality of the situation isn't really changing, just getting worse faster. however, just reading articles on websites like futurism about new AI anime security guards in japan and burger king's brand of unhappy meals catering to anger and depression or, you know, the really bleak stuff like how ICE is going to be taking DNA samples from every refugee who claims asylum is grinding me down far harder. it feels like i can't keep up with the dystopia as everything keeps getting worse in fascinating and unpredictable ways that speak to a fundamental insanity at the root of our society

and i mean you can make jokes about how the mcdonalds AI that predicts your orders could be given a tsundere anime girl skin and set to bully you into ordering food you didn't necessarily want but that doesn't even seem improbable anymore

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
Any advice on how to keep at least somewhat together while working at a company that is failing? It's been months of poo poo morale, people quitting or being laid off, and terrible management. I've been searching/applying for jobs the last few months with little luck, many of them with ridiculous skill sets for terrible pay. I can't quit because I have no savings and a single income. I just need to pull through, but with the economy, politics, the climate going to poo poo, on top of ADHD and anxiety, I wake up dead and go to sleep crying. I'm starting to drink almost every night just to make that intense internal dread stop. I keep doing volunteer work for a local arts org and hang out with my friends to stay social, but those are becoming so hard to do, and I keep failing on keeping my promises. I'm doing all I can, and it doesn't feel like enough.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Sanguinary Novel posted:

Any advice on how to keep at least somewhat together while working at a company that is failing? It's been months of poo poo morale, people quitting or being laid off, and terrible management. I've been searching/applying for jobs the last few months with little luck, many of them with ridiculous skill sets for terrible pay. I can't quit because I have no savings and a single income. I just need to pull through, but with the economy, politics, the climate going to poo poo, on top of ADHD and anxiety, I wake up dead and go to sleep crying. I'm starting to drink almost every night just to make that intense internal dread stop. I keep doing volunteer work for a local arts org and hang out with my friends to stay social, but those are becoming so hard to do, and I keep failing on keeping my promises. I'm doing all I can, and it doesn't feel like enough.

hi op. this sounds incredibly similar to my nervous breakdown and that’s not good. :smith: the booze is self medicating but I understand why you’re doing it to help with the misery. do you have a therapist? or maybe a group to go to? getting a new job would be a big lift but you need some sort of pressure valve in the meantime before everything caves in.

I strongly strongly urge you to seek support of some kind and see them regularly. it would’ve made a big difference for me and potentially stopped the Very Bad Day from happening if I had the sense (well, and opportunity) to see a therapist at least once a week.

if nothing else, schedule a regular night or weekend to yourself where you tell everybody you’re busy and do poo poo you like to do. crafts are nice. so is music and coloring. whatever takes your mind off things and makes you happy that doesn’t come from a bottle. getting some breathing room can make all the difference in the world sometimes

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Sanguinary Novel posted:

Working at a failing company is incrediby draining. Ultimately, the only way to fix it is to either leave or be forced out. Since your situation doesn't allow for that, the best you can do is accept that you're not always going to be up for dealing with social poo poo and volunteering like you want to. Sometimes it's okay to just go full triage on yourself and focus on getting enough sleep, eating right, and getting some occasional sunshine (climate permitting).

It's easy to fall into this trap of believing that you need to be actively working towards happiness or else you're not doing enough. The truth is, when you've got bad poo poo going on in your life and you can't control it, working towards happiness can be so daunting that it actually makes you worse. Those are the times when you lower your bar for yourself to something you can clear, which is meeting your basic needs. It might sound defeatest, but when you think about it, allowing yourself to simply 'maintain' during periods of difficulty can be really liberating.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
^ this. it’s not only ok but a good idea to downshift. keep yourself healthy first and foremost and then worry about what you can do for others, even if it takes a long rear end time. it doesn’t benefit anyone if you try to push through and collapse from the strain.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Sanguinary Novel posted:

I'm going through something similar except I have about 6mo savings and a month paid vacation which I'm just going to jump into and hope I land on my feet. I'd prefer not to under normal circumstances, but it is by far my best option.

To tie into mental health and vent, the place I joined two years ago I think has been quietly in some trouble for a while and, in what I now see was an act of desperation, promoted someone that I think is a narcissist (or at the very least a major bully and emotionally broken) far above her level of capability. This has in turn brought in an outside different-kind-of-narcissist that is now my immediate supervisor with no experience of managing a group like mine. It has fully twisted my career into a toxic daily nightmare. I went overnight from years of "we love what you're doing, keep up the hard work, you're on an obvious track to success" (because I do work hard and like to do a good job and know some extra work to make a good helpful environment benefits everyone) to being told to my face "you bring problems and make us look weak and I'm here to fix it". That kind of stuff that you know isn't true but now comes from the person who influence on major life events is just devastating. Of course people that can play up to narcissists (those closer to them on the spectrum) or along (the scared and easily bullyable and overloadable) are now being promoted too fast and given disproportionate resources and attention, like far too junior and emotionally immature people being told they can hire their own staff. I'm marginalized and starved of what I need to do my job because I'm "too nice" and they've drawn the false dichotomy that nice people can't win.

They've been trying to hide these issues and their bad, daily-shifting strategy but when I talk to people on the outside they're like "we know, we're appalled, and we're just waiting for it to go up in flames." It's really draining to deal with my outside friends and collaborators who become confused and alarmed when I describe what's happening and that I can't work with them anymore because many of my projects are now "forbidden" and that I'm leaving because of it. I at least have those points of reference which let me know I'm not imagining this. I've had a few people tell me I need to get out of there before I even get to the worst parts of my story. I made a director a couple levels above me in my chain who's also trapped deeply in this have to hold back tears when I told him at an informal dinner I was probably out within a couple weeks. He didn't even ask me to reconsider. This has been my daily life for months now and I never expected quitting to be so much loving work.

Liberal use of sick days if you can use them can help a lot. Places like that are horribly taxing on emotional energy and will beat down the best of people. Helping others get through it too, listening to their stories, and building internal support has become something I go out of my way to do to try and give myself a better feeling of control of my life and help where I can, even if it's just taking someone to lunch (but holy poo poo there has been so much crying). I had to do a performance report over the last six months as this has blown up and I'm just like "gently caress, I really haven't done anything except manage this struggle with my comrades and position myself to walk out"

Taking that plunge tomorrow and handing in my intent to leave. Not even scared.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
if it's that bad just bail. don't bother even giving them an intent to leave, just pick a date and ghost them, gently caress it. do it in a way that fucks your boss maximally if possible.

you get references from people you work with who like you, companies only confirm employment dates nowadays so who gives a poo poo unless you're in some kind of tiny, incestous industry.

spend the time the next week or two collecting contact info for the people who actually give a poo poo about your success

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
i know that my post doesn't seem particularly desperate and it's silly that tech bullshit should be more worrying to me than climate change but it's something that i find almost impossible to mentally immunize myself against and i'd really appreciate other people's perspectives

and as hilarious as it would be for raytheon to release a new AI mascot that explains why its targets were identified via a partnership with palantir and each and every last warhead used in lethal kinetic engagement was built by female prisoners this is all a loving mad libs at this point and nothing is more improbable than anything else

Sing Along has issued a correction as of 13:23 on May 2, 2019

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

if it's that bad just bail. don't bother even giving them an intent to leave, just pick a date and ghost them, gently caress it. do it in a way that fucks your boss maximally if possible.

you get references from people you work with who like you, companies only confirm employment dates nowadays so who gives a poo poo unless you're in some kind of tiny, incestous industry.

spend the time the next week or two collecting contact info for the people who actually give a poo poo about your success

Way ahead of you! The intent to leave will be followed with a "I'm going on vacation immediately and will telecommute two days week. You'll never see me professionally again. I assume that's fine". I'm timing this because he had a mysterious meeting to our-equivalent-of-corporate pop up following someone walk out in a similar fashion last week and, well, I'd just like this meeting to be as efficient as possible for him.

DrPossum has issued a correction as of 13:46 on May 2, 2019

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
edit: quote is not edit

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
*bursts into thread drenched with sweat*

I am happy to report my dick has resumed it's normal functioning

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
Thanks Chokes McGee and Nae! for responding. I did have a therapist six months ago or so, but was put on probation because of too many late call ins (ironically because of work). I guess it's long past time I find another therapist while I still have the luxury of health insurance.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
https://twitter.com/BurgerKing/status/1123637774773575681

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Sanguinary Novel posted:

Thanks Chokes McGee and Nae! for responding. I did have a therapist six months ago or so, but was put on probation because of too many late call ins (ironically because of work). I guess it's long past time I find another therapist while I still have the luxury of health insurance.

(PATIENT WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(seriously though, that's a good idea, hope everything works out :) )

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

If you are living paycheck to paycheck and especially need health insurance this may not be the best of ideas

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Feeling mega sadbrains the last few days so I'm doing the thing I do when that happens: comic books

Someone's going Dickeye you're always doing comics and yes but also not like this, "distract myself from sadbrains" comics is like, I pick a semi obscure story from some British magazine that ran for thirty years and go on a wild hunt to figure out which issues it ran in and then find scans online

So I spent the first hour of my shift working on finding the issues of Battle (which had like five different names at various points, making it harder) that Invasion 1984 ran in, and then finding those

It makes me feel like I accomplished something

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Feeling mega sadbrains the last few days so I'm doing the thing I do when that happens: comic books

Someone's going Dickeye you're always doing comics and yes but also not like this, "distract myself from sadbrains" comics is like, I pick a semi obscure story from some British magazine that ran for thirty years and go on a wild hunt to figure out which issues it ran in and then find scans online

So I spent the first hour of my shift working on finding the issues of Battle (which had like five different names at various points, making it harder) that Invasion 1984 ran in, and then finding those

That's actually a pretty cool hobby dickeye

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
It's a side effect of my hare brained "read all of 2000ad" scheme, I ended up just getting into Britcom as a whole and none of it is documented well at all

So I end up cross referencing vague dates on Wikipedia with thumbnails on say libgen and then checking a weird British guys lovely blog and there's an hour there

I also get to figure out how to look up "Darkie's Mob" without google thinking I'm racist

Edit if y'all wanna find some cool poo poo that you can feel like the smart guy who knows obscure poo poo about, google the treasury of British comics, there's a couple that haven't shown up on the store yet that just got announced but it's really cool that they're doing this at all

BENGHAZI 2 has issued a correction as of 22:26 on May 2, 2019

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I'm getting discharged from my anxiety treatment program tomorrow because my insurance won't pay for it anymore. :negative:

I only had two weeks left in the program. This is stupid.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mill Village posted:

I'm getting discharged from my anxiety treatment program tomorrow because my insurance won't pay for it anymore. :negative:

I only had two weeks left in the program. This is stupid.
Talk to whoever you've been working with about developing at-home strategies, if you have a chance. It sounds like you've made progress, and I don't think that last two weeks is irreplaceable.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I have a therapist I will be working with weekly to help reinforce what I learned. I will find out more tomorrow.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Things are going rough right now. There's a big flare up of self-hate, thinking about doing things leads to me hitting and yelling at myself. It's not DID, but my parts don't get along too well either.

E.g., deciding to clean the fridge caused a part of me to react by hitting myself in the face over and over. The implicit reasoning was that would mean going outside while taking out the trash and, um, yeah. That bit doesn't want me getting out of bed, much less going outside.

I may have to start calling my bluff and start doing things with my fingers crossed that it doesn't lead to part of me doing something that hurts all of me.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

wanna be my hero? here's a seriously rare thing!

Find me scans of the entire series of Flying Warriors.

A manga adaptation based on the game was translated and published in the early issues of GamePro magazine.

there's somewhere around 10 chapters i believe.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I've got a group therapy thing for ACT next Wednesday and I want to go but also don't because anxiety sucks

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Zyla posted:

wanna be my hero? here's a seriously rare thing!

Find me scans of the entire series of Flying Warriors.

A manga adaptation based on the game was translated and published in the early issues of GamePro magazine.

there's somewhere around 10 chapters i believe.

Got a year or anything? A lot of gaming magazines have been scanned as a preservation thing, it'll probably be in there

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I've got an actual job interview in person today, only the third one I've gotten in a year and a half. It's the first one for a job that would actually work well, like, solve most of my problems in one fell swoop if I got it, working in a university admissions office for a MSW program. It's $30-$35k hiring range. I'm trying not to feel hopeful but I've been preparing pretty extensively so here's hoping my long period of crushing unemployment causing terminal depression might not last forever.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Frog Act posted:

I've got an actual job interview in person today, only the third one I've gotten in a year and a half. It's the first one for a job that would actually work well, like, solve most of my problems in one fell swoop if I got it, working in a university admissions office for a MSW program. It's $30-$35k hiring range. I'm trying not to feel hopeful but I've been preparing pretty extensively so here's hoping my long period of crushing unemployment causing terminal depression might not last forever.

good luck op! :)

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Frog Act posted:

good luck, friend!

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

thanks cspam posters. the interview went really well and we talked for the full hour, they laughed at my jokes and said I asked really good questions and was well-qualified. so there's basically no chance I'll get the job because I've had this exact experience before and didn't end up getting it, so I'm ready for more soul-crushing disappointment

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

I asked someone out today! They politely declined. I'm proud of myself anyway. This is the first time I've felt capable of dating in over a year :)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Frog Act posted:

thanks cspam posters. the interview went really well and we talked for the full hour, they laughed at my jokes and said I asked really good questions and was well-qualified. so there's basically no chance I'll get the job because I've had this exact experience before and didn't end up getting it, so I'm ready for more soul-crushing disappointment

you make a strong case, but I’m going to be hopeful for you anyway

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Got a year or anything? A lot of gaming magazines have been scanned as a preservation thing, it'll probably be in there

it was an insert, i wanna say like somewhere between 93-95? there are a couple pages on some pintrests, but not the whole thing :(

there was also a manga for another game that was some kind of ninja that cooks or theres a food theme to it

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Dreddout posted:

I asked someone out today! They politely declined. I'm proud of myself anyway. This is the first time I've felt capable of dating in over a year :)

:snoo:

just keep putting yourself out there, and I hope you find someone eventually

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Frog Act posted:

Glad it went well. I had a job interview for a PBS affiliate last week and it did a number on me... Firing squad style interview, 3 people rotating through printed questions all writing down as I talked. No walk-and-talk check out our work culture stuff at all. Literally the worst style of interview. It went OK though and I didn't gently caress up any answers or ramble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

larper
Apr 9, 2019
Love doing these online screening things lol

I find it easy to talk with people I do not know. I sometimes have thoughts that I would not like other people to know about. I like most people. I have sometimes been forced to ignore or break minor rules to get the job done right. If I got caught stealing, I would tell on the people who helped me. If I follow all work rules, I can prevent on-the-job accidents. I want this to be a long-term job. Most supervisors put in a full day of hard work. I have fewer accidents than most people. Sadly, I will most likely have to change jobs a lot in the next few years. I can help customers see the value of a product or service. I have sometimes thought about taking something from a store without paying for it. I get mad easily. I have been at least a little interested in stealing something. I have known people who have taken money from where they work without getting caught. When another person is angry with me, I usually get mad right back. There is little I can do to avoid tripping and falling while on the job. From what I know about this job, I would spend a good part of my working life here.