Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Silver Spooner posted:

Yeah a lot of people like to forget that Rae basically had four guns to his head before he was even sworn in. Globe and Mail piece about it here.

The problem is that Rae responded by trying to win over the business community and press - in large part by making both real and symbolic attacks on the labour unions that had worked like hell to get him into office. I get really tired of NDP complaining about their treatment under Rae. I mean of course they were attacked by the media, who would want to support a party that wasn't getting attacked by the media constantly? I'd rather talk about how the NDP hosed up the best chance it ever got instead of enabling them to cry about the mean old media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Some protestors at Queen's Park rolled out a guillotine prop. Ford called the cops on them and the government says they feel threatened by acts of violence.
Craven cowards.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

Arcsquad12 posted:

Some protestors at Queen's Park rolled out a guillotine prop. Ford called the cops on them and the government says they feel threatened by acts of violence.
Craven cowards.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

"COMMIES" lmao

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I wonder how long that poo poo is going to work for when young people can literally just look up what communism means

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

They're carrying a red hammer-and-sickle flag.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Arcsquad12 posted:

the government says they feel threatened by acts of violence.

Good. They loving should.

Maybe it's time they remembered that they live and work in the communities they're making GBS threads all over. If your response to 28 Ontario municipalities telling you not to cut public health funding because people will die is "No, this is happening, we will not delay it", maybe you need a reminder that the way this ultimately ends is getting dragged out of your house in the middle of the night by a mob.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 2, 2019

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Throw the goddamned OCP in the goddamned lake

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Definitely a new competitor for the title of all time greatest Toronto Sun cover, though I think this is still my favourite:

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Rags in the style of Toronto Sun offend me most for their graphic design.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Hey, so Alberta is currently undergoing syphilis and gonorrhea outbreaks (for syphilis, cases went from 160 in 2014 to 1500 in 2018). This reminds me specifically of the time that Health Minister Ron Liepert hushed up a syphilis outbreak and cancelled a public campaign because he felt it only affected prostitutes and oilfield workers.

Edmonton Journal posted:

Grimsrud noted many doctors were also in ignorance of the extent of the outbreak, and might therefore not recognize the symptoms.

“Most physicians and other health-care providers are either unaware of this outbreak or not familiar with the clinical picture of syphilis and are thus not testing,” she wrote.

Nonetheless, Liepert, on taking over as health minister, cancelled the provincewide advertising campaign to inform Albertans at large about the outbreak. At about the same time, Grimsrud and Singh, as well as two other senior public health doctors, left the employ of Alberta Health. None has spoken publicly about why they left.
(they were quit-fired)

quote:

Meanwhile, between 2005 and 2007, 14 babies in Alberta were born with congenital syphilis. Five of them died.

Ron Liepert is presently the Member of Parliament for Calgary-Signal Hill, and sadly shows no signs of an ironic, syphilis-induced demise.

Square Peg posted:

Well it's not like they're coming out and saying that's what they're doing.

It's fun to contrast with how the ANDP didn't even clear out most of the previous government's appointees and thus had to deal with their constant partisan ratfucking throughout the past 4 years in the name of decorum I guess.
The ANDP actually did fire/retire several appointees. In particular they extended very few appointments to various boards of public entities (traditionally it's for a three-year term plus extension), and then took forever and a day to get around to appointing replacements. All of whom will, of course, not be renewed by the current government.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ARACHTION posted:

Rags in the style of Toronto Sun offend me most for their graphic design.

I think there's like one dude that does all graphic design for every piece of right wing reactionary media.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I was there! The organizers were also distancing themselves from the prop on facebook and the collage students who brought it. They were sad that the media coverage from the Sun (Hah!) was negative and blamed that group. The students were also on stage and the purse clutching organizers got also felt the need to clarify after their words that this wasn't a violent protest and the organizers don't condone violence because: 'that's not what we're here for'. It was really disappointing because nothing transpired and the organizors seemed so scared about their protest privilege being taken away as it was granted by a permit.

E: The permit = legal protest thing has such a strong chilling effect on moderates. I also edited my post more because my grammar is so bad that it makes for a difficult read.

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 01:13 on May 3, 2019

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
What a bunch of :decorum: cowards.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Toalpaz posted:

I was there! The organizers are also distancing themselves from the prop on facebook, and the collage students who brought it. They were sad that the media coverage from the Sun (Hah!) was negative and blamed that group.They was also on stage and the purse clutching organizers got also felt the need to clarify after that this wasn't a violent protest and they don't condone violence and 'that's not what we're here for'. It was really disappointing because nothing transpired, and they seemed so scared about their protest privilege being taken away as it was granted by a permit .

Well, let's be fair, we wouldn't want them to accidentally make a point or shake things up any. That's not why we're protesting.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Postess with the Mostest posted:

He can be both at the same time. He's effectively implementing conservative policies while doing enough left wing stuff to make sure the bad conservatives don't get in power and literally destroy the country. He's the best left wing pm and the best right wing pm.

Semi-Automated™ Business-Class Radical Centrism®

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Toalpaz posted:

I was there! The organizers were also distancing themselves from the prop on facebook and the collage students who brought it. They were sad that the media coverage from the Sun (Hah!) was negative and blamed that group. The students were also on stage and the purse clutching organizers got also felt the need to clarify after their words that this wasn't a violent protest and the organizers don't condone violence because: 'that's not what we're here for'. It was really disappointing because nothing transpired and the organizors seemed so scared about their protest privilege being taken away as it was granted by a permit.

E: The permit = legal protest thing has such a strong chilling effect on moderates. I also edited my post more because my grammar is so bad that it makes for a difficult read.

Anyone who is reticent to march in a non-permitted May Day parade doesn't belong there in the first place.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
The students weren't really even calling for violence either, to clarify things further. The gist of their speech was asking for the group of 2-300+ people or so to walk into the Ontario legislature building so that they'd be heard. It may have resulted in violence because of the resulting confrontation with police/security, but that's really up to Ontario/Toronto and their response. The whole thing is a lovely framing that The Sun (because they're The Sun) and organizers (because they were just so shocked) leaped to produce for their own reasons.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
drat, Helsing. You've gotten surly.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/mattjdh/status/1124013927292112897?s=21
https://twitter.com/tim_ell/status/1124027085293543431?s=21
https://twitter.com/lauriethroness/status/1124048358962868230?s=21

Libs: Not Even Once

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I need more context

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

BC Liberal MLA said we don’t need universal daycare because we already have it in the form of stay-at-home parents. He’s climbing up onto his cross because people are responding negatively

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
he's not even technically right either, like are there no orphans in BC?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

RBC posted:

THATS ON THE PARENTS. PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Oh also today, former BC Liberal cabinet minister and dirty cop Rich Coal Man compared a farmland protection bill to the Holocaust:

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNnVD_tLDzg

I'm not a marketing whiz so maybe this is some 4-D chess I don't understand but I wouldn't think the ideal advertising tactic would be to reinforce to the viewer how much worse than Trudeau it could get. Or spending money advertising to people who like Trump.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Waiting for a picture to appear online of a dipshit with a republic of Alberta decal across his back bumper, parked in front of Amerjeet Sohi’s office, with his licence blocked out (it said heaman btw).

What is this loving province hahaha

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Kenneys speech to Parliament today on c69 was a disgustingly transparent attempt to further stoke Alberta separatist populism.

He's really gunning for a dictatorship.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I assume there’s as much weight behind those words as there was behind his threat to turn off the taps to BC

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Cross over Canada debt bubble content:

https://twitter.com/steeletalk/status/1123731449734205441

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Tories In Teslas Getting Tax Breaks

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The cuts just keep coming.https://twitter.com/coteau/status/1124128046720491520?s=19

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
lol the Liberals killed a paltry transit pass non-refundable tax credit so we can give $5k to people buying $45k cars. :cool:

quote:

Sure, the credit sounds like a nice idea. A tax credit to encourage Canadians to adopt greener transportation choices, relinquishing polluting private vehicles for eco-friendly public transit. The non-refundable tax credit worth 15 per cent of the amount spent on monthly transit passes was one of Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s few actions on climate change.

But Finance Minister Bill Morneau looked at the evidence, and it’s damning. A comprehensive study by University of Ottawa economist Nic Rivers revealed that the public transit tax credit is a policy boondoggle —environmentally, economically, and socially.

Three criteria are generally employed to evaluate public policies: effectiveness, efficiency and equity. Excellent public policies achieve their objectives at the lowest possible cost, while reducing, or at least not worsening, societal inequalities.

When the tax credit was introduced in 2006, Prime Minister Harper claimed that the policy could increase transit use by 25 to 50 per cent. This would reduce greenhouse gas emissions, air pollution and traffic congestion.

Prof. Rivers revealed that the transit tax credit increased transit ridership by between 0.25 per cent and one per cent.

Many Canadians already commuting on transit took advantage of the tax break. These people are what economists call “free riders,” rewarded with subsidies for actions they were already taking. The annual cost to the government is more than $200 million, and rising every year.

Prof. Rivers calculated the cost of greenhouse gas emission reductions as exceeding $1,000 per tonne. Other climate change policies have costs ranging from negative (meaning it’s actually profitable to make changes) to $200/tonne. B.C.’s carbon tax is $30 per tonne. The cost of closing Ontario’s coal-fired power plants was roughly $100 per tonne. Rivers concluded that the transit tax credit “is an extremely expensive mechanism for government to achieve reductions in greenhouse gases.”

So far, the transit tax credit has failed two of the three tests used to evaluate public policies. It’s utterly ineffective in achieving its goals of increasing ridership and reducing pollution. It’s grossly inefficient in attempting to achieve those goals at the lowest possible cost.

The third public policy litmus test asks whether a given policy is fair. Does it alleviate existing inequality or exacerbate it?

Strike three. The non-refundable nature of the transit tax credit means that low-income Canadians receive no benefit.

Imagine two individuals. Maria is a wealthy stockbroker who buys monthly transit passes and takes the subway to work. Her annual salary exceeds $100,000. Joe could be a university student or a guy who works night shifts for minimum wage. He takes the bus to and from school or work but makes less than $18,000.

Maria will claim the full transit tax credit, saving several hundred dollars on her tax bill. Joe spends the same amount on public transit but doesn’t earn enough income to benefit from the non-refundable credit.

The latest data show that roughly 1.8 million Canadians claim the credit, but only about 1.3 million people make enough money for the credit to actually reduce their taxes. That’s half a million transit riding Canadians left out in the cold by this policy. Hundreds of thousands more Canadians can’t even try to claim the credit because they can’t afford to shell out for monthly passes, buying single tickets instead.

This tax credit is ineffective, inefficient and socially regressive. It’s also useless for rural Canadians.

All of the evidence indicated killing the public transit tax credit would be the right move. But the Liberal government obviously knew people would complain about losing their subsidy. The question was whether they would make their decision based on evidence or political popularity.

Minister Morneau deserves praise for doing the right thing. Eliminating the transit tax credit will save more than $2 billion over the next decade. The Liberal federal budget pledged to invest $20 billion to improve transit service over the next decade, from Victoria to Halifax. That’s good public policy, and will benefit everyone who takes transit, not just middle and upper class Canadians.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

loving liberals man I swear to god.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

RBC posted:

Don't even need to go all the way to orphans, how are single parents supposed to stay at home with their kids and also afford food?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

vyelkin posted:

Don't even need to go all the way to orphans, how are single parents supposed to stay at home with their kids and also afford food?

Divorce is a selfish choice and a luxury maybe the working poor shouldn't feel entitled to.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

vyelkin posted:

Yeah, I always wondered how conservatives squared that with opposition to birth control.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Divorce is a selfish choice and a luxury maybe the working poor shouldn't feel entitled to.

Now do widows and widowers.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Albino Squirrel posted:

Yeah, I always wondered how conservatives squared that with opposition to birth control.

It's not about saving children, it's about punishing/controlling women. loving over single mom's aligns with the punishing women angle.\

And of course the poor of any gender. So long as the policy fucks them over, even if it benefits no one else and is just pointlessly spiteful, it's good conservative policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

THC posted:

Oh also today, former BC Liberal cabinet minister and dirty cop Rich Coal Man compared a farmland protection bill to the Holocaust:

If you ever think to yourself that it seems disproportional even by Canada's usual standards watching the Canadian media put out three or four pieces a day laughing at John Horgan for daring to defy the oil industry and now gas prices--objectively the only thing anybody ever cares about--are high, and now Horgan is screwed and it's all his fault because he wasn't nice enough to Alberta, and now the people of BC will definitely throw him out... consider what the BC Liberals are doing to get re-elected on their own.