Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Nerobro posted:

This has definitely gotten beyond the "you can't fly a wing without computers".

For practical purposes that is true though, no matter how much you hurf durf about semantics. Yes there are alternate ways of achieving yaw stability and even yaw control without a vertical stabilizer or a conventional rudder, and yes pitch stability without a conventional elevator isn't that hard to do, but in order to make an aircraft with neither a horizontal nor a vertical stabilizer controllable with the stick-and-rudder system a pilot of conventional aircraft will actually understand, you need something significantly more sophisticated than just direct manipulation of the flight control surfaces. It might not have to be a digital computer, and it might not have to be full fly-by-wire either, but you do need some kind of processing or translation of the pilot's control inputs. Even plain old tailless deltas also tend to have some pretty annoying oscillation issues so even many of the late 1950's ones have some kind of analog dampening autopilot going on.

e: tangentially related: without having any insight into any (probably classified) stability curves for real military aircraft with relaxed stability, it seems to me like calling them "unstable" isn't really the right term. They're almost certainly as close to neutrally stable as they can be (that is, disturbances do not lead to a correcting moment, but it doesn't lead to a reinforcing moment either), since if they were statically unstable they'd just have the same issues as a statically stable aircraft except in the other direction. You can also have local instabilities at certain angles of attack (or sideslip) without that restricting the entire flight envelope by those angles.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Ola posted:

Maybe it belongs best in a different thread, but flying military history goes well here and I think you will enjoy this animated map video of the battle of Midway from the japanese perspective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd8_vO5zrjo

I really enjoyed this video, very interesting and easy to understand. I've subscribed and look forward to more!

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Ola posted:

Maybe it belongs best in a different thread, but flying military history goes well here and I think you will enjoy this animated map video of the battle of Midway from the japanese perspective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd8_vO5zrjo

The Algorithm has been pimping this hard for the past few days, glad to hear it's actually worthwhile.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

TheFluff posted:

hurf durf

You too are confusing impractical with impossible, given that flying wings without computers did actually fly. The one that started the discussion is one example.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ola posted:

You too are confusing impractical with impossible, given that flying wings without computers did actually fly. The one that started the discussion is one example.

The one that started this fell out of the sky

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Jesus Mary and Joseph, obviously from the first use of "impossible" in this conversation it has been as an exaggeration for "difficult" or "impractical"

If a sense of an ambiguous word is nullified by a clear example openly acknowledged by the writer, then maaaaaaybe it's not the intended sense.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

The one that started this fell out of the sky

Yes, after flying for years. Impractical or impossible?

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Sometimes I feel like communication is impossible :(

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

vessbot posted:

Sometimes I feel like communication is impossible :(

If words have too ambiguous meanings, it's certainly impractical.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Ola posted:

If words have too ambiguous meanings, it's certainly impractical.

They're not too ambiguous though. Exaggeration is a very common manner of speech. And in any case, he clarified his intent many posts ago (as if it wasn't already clear enough by virtue of the other sense saying that the impossible has been occurring for decades.)

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Hyperbole is literally impossible to understand.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

vessbot posted:

They're not too ambiguous though. Exaggeration is a very common manner of speech. And in any case, he clarified his intent many posts ago (as if it wasn't already clear enough by virtue of the other sense saying that the impossible has been occurring for decades.)

I was responding to a post on this page by a different poster. Language isn't that hard.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

TheFluff posted:

e: tangentially related: without having any insight into any (probably classified) stability curves for real military aircraft with relaxed stability, it seems to me like calling them "unstable" isn't really the right term. They're almost certainly as close to neutrally stable as they can be (that is, disturbances do not lead to a correcting moment, but it doesn't lead to a reinforcing moment either), since if they were statically unstable they'd just have the same issues as a statically stable aircraft except in the other direction. You can also have local instabilities at certain angles of attack (or sideslip) without that restricting the entire flight envelope by those angles.

Seems like a good time to post the YF-16's first flight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UR-48Kri0Tw

The voiceover is overly dramatic...the pilot intended to take off a little bit and test stick response over the runway, then land a few hundred feet down the runway. But the engine nozzle wouldn't open to reduce thrust, and the roll response was crazy, so he ended up powering up, then letting it fly itself in a slow left turn then landed.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

TheFluff posted:

For practical purposes that is true though, no matter how much you hurf durf about semantics. Yes there are alternate ways of achieving yaw stability and even yaw control without a vertical stabilizer or a conventional rudder, and yes pitch stability without a conventional elevator isn't that hard to do, but in order to make an aircraft with neither a horizontal nor a vertical stabilizer controllable with the stick-and-rudder system a pilot of conventional aircraft will actually understand, you need something significantly more sophisticated than just direct manipulation of the flight control surfaces. It might not have to be a digital computer, and it might not have to be full fly-by-wire either, but you do need some kind of processing or translation of the pilot's control inputs. Even plain old tailless deltas also tend to have some pretty annoying oscillation issues so even many of the late 1950's ones have some kind of analog dampening autopilot going on.

No they are dynamically unstable, the flight control computers make them flyable. The instability makes them more maneuverable.

Ex:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Dynamics_F-16_Fighting_Falcon#Negative_stability_and_fly-by-wire

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Ola posted:

The first sentence in my post: "for practical purposes"

Also, the XB-35 and YB-49 both had severe oscillation issues that they were hoping to resolve with a dampening autopilot.

I will admit though that the yaw control on those things was more clever than I thought.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

By the same criteria, and the modern safety expectation which is the subtext in all of this, the Sopwith Camel is also impractical to fly without computer control, but it's pretty absurd to assert that.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Ola posted:

By the same criteria, and the modern safety expectation which is the subtext in all of this, the Sopwith Camel is also impractical to fly without computer control, but it's pretty absurd to assert that.

WW I rotary airplane engines "The best ideas they'd had yet." Or possibly " Yeah, hindsight will do that to you."
:eng99:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

e.pilot posted:

No they are dynamically unstable, the flight control computers make them flyable. The instability makes them more maneuverable.

Ex:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Dynamics_F-16_Fighting_Falcon#Negative_stability_and_fly-by-wire

I skipped over that part, but you are right. The whole point is to give the tail as much leverage to point the nose as you dare. An intuitive way to look at it is to imagine balancing a broomstick in your palm. If you add a big weight to its bottom end, it's very easy to balance but it takes more force to push it over. If you add a weight to the top, it's very hard to balance it, but it tips over super fast when you want it to.

Another intuition is suspending a model aircraft from two strings. It's easy to balance it when the strings are far apart, but harder to move (rotate about the axis perpendicular to the strings). The closer the strings are, the harder it is to balance but the easier it is to move.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

e.pilot posted:

Ex:

I guess it depends on what you mean by negative stability or "unstable", and a more precise definition is exactly what I'm after here. Actual negative stability in the pitch axis to me means that any increase in the AoA leads to a pitch-up moment that works to further increase the AoA and further increase the pitch-up moment, which means that you have a positive feedback loop that works to very rapidly stall the aircraft at any disturbance. This is also what Ola's describing. The problem with this is that it's not actually beneficial. The reason you go for relaxed or neutral stability in the first place is that you want to get less drag from the control surfaces. If you have positive stability and you want to make a turn, you first need a bunch of control surface deflection just to counteract the increasing pitch-down moment that comes with increasing AoA. If you have static negative stability (pitch-up moment increases with increasing AoA) then you haven't actually gained anything - you have the same problem but in reverse.

What you actually want (and what I understand the F-16 to have) is neutral stability (or relaxed stability, if you want). If you have a better source than Wikipedia that says I'm wrong I'd love to see it, and I'd especially like to see a static stability diagram (pitching moment as a function of AoA).

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Here is a little bit of Aeronautical Insanity for you;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaR7Xr3Nf0k
One of his earlier attempts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sguCEWhXtWY
The actual plane he used to fly to Kenia

In the early 2000's a Dutch artist called Joost Conijn build an airplane himself and flew it (in a few stages during 4 months) all the way from the Netherlands to Kenia.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I don't have any literature on hand, but you are describing only static stability with convergence/divergence and there are more kinds than that. This says something about how sensitive it is, how easily a small control input can lead to a change in AoA. An F-16 gets more stable at speed because the center of lift moves backwards so the two strings are further apart.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Ola posted:

I don't have any literature on hand, but you are describing only static stability with convergence/divergence and there are more kinds than that. This says something about how sensitive it is, how easily a small control input can lead to a change in AoA. An F-16 gets more stable at speed because the center of lift moves backwards so the two strings are further apart.

I... am not sure if you understood what I said. I may have to MSpaint some stability diagrams.

e: what you're describing with the two strings close together is neutral stability btw

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 11:24 on May 3, 2019

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Q. Why did Lech Kaczyński's plane crash?

A. It was full of Poles, and they were all way out on the Right.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

TheFluff posted:

I... am not sure if you understood what I said. I may have to MSpaint some stability diagrams.

You said "any increase in the AoA leads to a pitch-up moment that works to further increase the AoA" which is not the correct flavor of stability the F-16 is renowned for having little of. "Stability" means more than simply a tendency to converge or diverge.

For instance, wanting to increase a pitch up is negative static stability, but you can for instance have positive static and negative dynamic, where the plane wants to return to center but does so at steeper and steeper angles.

TheFluff posted:

e: what you're describing with the two strings close together is neutral stability btw

No, all planes have these two virtual strings, it's just the center of lift and the center of gravity. What the F-16 designers wanted to exploit is what happens when the two strings get closer to one another.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Ola posted:

You said "any increase in the AoA leads to a pitch-up moment that works to further increase the AoA" which is not the correct flavor of stability the F-16 is renowned for having little of. "Stability" means more than simply a tendency to converge or diverge.

For instance, wanting to increase a pitch up is negative static stability, but you can for instance have positive static and negative dynamic, where the plane wants to return to center but does so at steeper and steeper angles.
Of course I'm talking about static stability, I even explicitly used the term in the original post. The Wikipedia article section e.pilot linked to also explicitly talks about relaxed static stability. Your analogies in the previous post both describe forms of static (in)stability. The entire point of my argument is that there's no point to making an aircraft with actually negative static stability, and I really don't think the F-16 actually has negative static stability in the ordinary flight envelope (so Wikipedia is wrong or at least confusing, as usual).

As far as I know dynamic instability isn't really interesting at all in this discussion, since it doesn't really have any benefits to maneuverability. I don't know why the F-16 (or any aircraft) would be renowned for being dynamically unstable - that just means it wants to oscillate really bad and that it needs some kind of dampening.

Ola posted:

No, all planes have these two virtual strings, it's just the center of lift and the center of gravity. What the F-16 designers wanted to exploit is what happens when the two strings get closer to one another.

Stop confusing things with these analogies if you know the appropriate terminology. Of course every plane has a CoL and a CoG. If the center of lift and the center of gravity are very close together then the aircraft is probably going to have a neutral (ish) static longitudinal stability (but of course things are complicated), which is why I said that your example with two strings close together describes an aircraft that is close to having neutral static stability. Again, the entire point of my argument is that this is desirable, while actual negative static stability isn't.

I don't think we disagree really, I'm just hurfing durf about terminology here (because of course).

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 13:27 on May 3, 2019

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Post a forward swept flying wing.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Had to go look up some actual citations because people are wrong on the internet, of course, and I believe I'm right (at least in terms of what is desirable, althoug the term neutral stability doesn't seem commonly used, so I guess I'll have to concede that one).

I found a paper on the most unstable plane that's ever flown: X-29 flight control system: lessons learned, where the conclusion is that excessive static instability actually makes you less maneuverable because it's hard to make the control surfaces react fast enough to the plane's strong desire to depart from controlled flight. The X-29 had like half the pitch rate (pitch change in degrees per second) of the F-18 below the transonic region, despite being touted as super-maneuverable. It would've needed control surfaces that were twice as fast to reach parity. Dynamic instability is also just a nuisance that further slows down the control system response.

quote:

The X-29 pilots consistently found the maximum pitch rate capability of the airplane inadequate. Figure 12 shows the pre- dicted maximum nose up and nose down pitch rates of the X-29 as a function of Mach number (altitude varied from 10,000 to 20,000 ft). Several flight data points (both nose up and nose down) from the maneuver shown in figure 11 are also included as well as F-18 pitch rate data for comparison purposes. The simulation maneuvers consisted of two types of maneuvers: a full aft stick step input and a doublet type input which consisted of a full aft stick input followed by a full forward stick input timed to try to force the control surfaces to maximum rates.
It is clear from the data that the X-29 requires approximately 50 percent higher rates to be comparable with an F-18 at low- speed conditions. Examination of the peak canard actuator rates shows that the X-29 was using nearly all of the capability (104°/sec no load rate limit) with the current control system gains. Increases in the canard actuator rates commensurate with the increases in pitch rate would be required for any improvement.
The simulation showed that most of the actuator rate was used in controlling the unstable airplane response. Figure 11 shows this in detail. Close examination of the canard response shows that during the full aft stick input the initial response of the ca- nard is trailing edge down (and trailing edge up for the flaperon and strake flap). As is typical for an unstable pitch response the surfaces then move quickly in the opposite direction to unload and control the unstable response. The second motion is typi- cally much larger than the initial motion and in most cases is more demanding of the actuator rates especially at low dynamic pressure where large control surface motion is required. This agrees very well with data presented in reference 4.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

TheFluff posted:

Of course I'm talking about static stability

Yeah, and I'm saying that's not the kind of stability relevant to the F-16s maneuverability. "Short coupled" would be a good description of the F-16, like having a short wheelbase. Which General Dynamics marketing genius came up with "relaxed stability" I don't know, it was probably to calm down some Air Force generals who didn't like the sound of "unstable".

TheFluff posted:

As far as I know dynamic instability isn't really interesting at all in this discussion...

It was just an example of different flavors of stability. You're stuck on this static stability thing where any plane called "unstable" exhibits diverging characteristics, i.e. a dive wants to be a steeper dive, but that is not the case. There are different kinds of stability. But a plane with relaxed stability will probably have negative dynamic stability, even if it has positive static stability.

TheFluff posted:

If the center of lift and the center of gravity are very close together then the aircraft is probably going to have a neutral (ish) static longitudinal stability

No not at all. They can be very far apart and still have any flavor of static longitudinal stability. Negative is for instance a plane where increasing speed from diving causes a steeper dive, and slowing speed from climbing causes a steeper climb. Typically this is more of a thing in the roll axis than in pitch, where a moment's distraction lets a slight bank run away into a steep one.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Ola posted:

Yeah, and I'm saying that's not the kind of stability relevant to the F-16s maneuverability. "Short coupled" would be a good description of the F-16, like having a short wheelbase. Which General Dynamics marketing genius came up with "relaxed stability" I don't know, it was probably to calm down some Air Force generals who didn't like the sound of "unstable".
I... what? Low (or slightly negative, I guess) static longitudinal stability is absolutely what gets you increased maneuverability. Relaxed static stability is the correct terminology. I have no idea what you mean by "short coupled".

Ola posted:

It was just an example of different flavors of stability. You're stuck on this static stability thing where any plane called "unstable" exhibits diverging characteristics, i.e. a dive wants to be a steeper dive, but that is not the case. There are different kinds of stability.
I'm talking about one specific thing with a precise definition and I have been for this entire discussion, and it's the only one that really matters when it comes to maneuverability. The fact that there are many different kinds of stability is true, but only trivially so. Discussing the aircraft attitude with regards to the horizon (dive/climb) is completely meaningless in this context too, the only parameter that matters for aerodynamic pitch stability is angle of attack.

Ola posted:

But a plane with relaxed stability will probably have negative dynamic stability, even if it has positive static stability.
Probably yes, but again this isn't really interesting because dynamic instability doesn't have any benefits.

Ola posted:

No not at all. They can be very far apart and still have any flavor of static longitudinal stability.
As long as the CoG is ahead of the CoL, sure. In general the static longitudinal stability increases the further ahead of the CoL the CoG is, but I was specifically talking about the opposite case: the closer they are together, the closer to neutral stability you get. If you move the CoG aft of the CoL you get negative static stability.

Ola posted:

Negative is for instance a plane where increasing speed from diving causes a steeper dive, and slowing speed from climbing causes a steeper climb. Typically this is more of a thing in the roll axis than in pitch, where a moment's distraction lets a slight bank run away into a steep one.

None of these are relevant to this discussion. I don't think stability around the roll axis even is a thing that exists at all. You're confusing a whole bunch of different dynamic modes here that don't really have anything to do with the discussion. Like, sure, speed instability is a thing that exists, sure - the Draken for example is very hard to fly on final approach because any reduction in speed leads to an increase in AoA which leads to more drag which leads to a speed reduction, so you can call it "unstable in airspeed", but it's not what I'm talking about and it's not relevant to maneuverability.

Like, you're using some words that have meanings but almost nothing you're saying makes any sense.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 14:47 on May 3, 2019

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Ola posted:

Yeah, and I'm saying that's not the kind of stability relevant to the F-16s maneuverability.

And in saying that you're incorrect, the F-16 has reduced static stability, that's the whole thing about it.

quote:

It was just an example of different flavors of stability. You're stuck on this static stability thing where any plane called "unstable" exhibits diverging characteristics, i.e. a dive wants to be a steeper dive, but that is not the case.
Yes it is the case, that's the definition of statically unstable.

quote:

No not at all. They can be very far apart and still have any flavor of static longitudinal stability.

How so?

E: aaaaand beaten

E2: interesting fact: early in the F-16 design they left themselves the ability to move the wing one bulkhead aft and thereby have positive static stability like a normal plane, in case the FBW didn't work out.

vessbot fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 3, 2019

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I'm not going to do the massive quotathon thing. Here is a summary of static/dynamic: https://www.boldmethod.com/learn-to-fly/aerodynamics/3-types-of-static-and-dynamic-stability-in-aircraft/ Have fun.

TheFluff posted:

I don't think stability around the roll axis even is a thing that exists at all.

Oh c'mon...

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

blugu64 posted:

Post a forward swept flying wing.

When they're tumbling, the wing sweep is forward about half the time.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

It would help support your point if you say what you're addressing with this, because right now that's not clear.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Ola posted:

I'm not going to do the massive quotathon thing. Here is a summary of static/dynamic: https://www.boldmethod.com/learn-to-fly/aerodynamics/3-types-of-static-and-dynamic-stability-in-aircraft/ Have fun.

Okay, I'll do an effortpost to explain why you're wrong and what static stability analysis is when I get home because I'm clearly not getting through.

Ola posted:

Oh c'mon...

No I'm serious, I don't think any aircraft exist that are anything other than neutrally stable around the roll axis (that is, neither stable nor unstable). I believe you may be thinking of the natural tendency to spiral, but that's actually a yaw coupling. As far as my understanding of aerodynamics goes, a disturbance that causes movement around the roll axis cannot on its own cause any further movement around that same axis - it will neither lead to a further roll nor return to the initial state.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 3, 2019

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

TheFluff posted:

Okay, I'll do an effortpost to explain why you're wrong and what static stability analysis is when I get home because I'm clearly not getting through.

No I'm serious, I don't think any aircraft exist that are anything other than neutrally stable around the roll axis (that is, neither stable nor unstable). I believe you may be thinking of the natural tendency to spiral, but that's actually a yaw coupling. As far as my understanding of aerodynamics goes, a disturbance that causes movement around the roll axis cannot on its own cause any further movement around that same axis - it will neither lead to a further roll nor return to the initial state.

Not as in "suddenly falls away to the left" but: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_dynamic_modes#Spiral_divergence

vessbot posted:

It would help support your point if you say what you're addressing with this, because right now that's not clear.

His original post basically calls out General Dynamics et al for being wrong:

TheFluff posted:

But either he has got the terms mixed up or he's putting the cart before the horse. Having the center of lift near the center of gravity means the aircraft responds quickly, but as a side effect it gets undesirable characteristics that the computer can handle.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I didn't catch the edit:

Yes it was spiral divergence I was thinking of. If it's yaw coupling, then yaw coupled to what? Roll. There are three axes, longitudinal, lateral and directional and stability can pertain to any one or any combination. Sloshing fuel tanks and bad load management can cause roll instability, if not an aerodynamic instability.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Ola posted:

I didn't catch the edit:

Yes it was spiral divergence I was thinking of. If it's yaw coupling, then yaw coupled to what? Roll. There are three axes, longitudinal, lateral and directional and stability can pertain to any one or any combination. Sloshing fuel tanks and bad load management can cause roll instability, if not an aerodynamic instability.
The roll disturbance causes a yaw disturbance, but it does not in itself cause a further roll disturbance. That's what I mean by yaw coupling. The roll axis is different from the pitch and yaw axes because the latter two cannot be made fully neutrally stable in a fixed wing aircraft - a change in pitch attitude will always cause a torque that works to change the pitch attitude, and the same goes for yaw. They affect themselves, so to speak. The roll axis on the other hand does not work like that - a change in attitude in the roll axis does not cause any torque that works to change the roll attitude, so for the purposes of static stability analysis it might as well not exist. It's neither statically stable nor statically unstable.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 3, 2019

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
No offense but you sound like someone that plays a lot of flight sims that knows enough to sound like they know what they’re talking about, but have literally no idea what you’re talking about.

Aircraft, specifically militarily aircraft (and I guess the MAX8 :dadjoke:) can and are built to be unstable and are only flyable with computers making adjustments faster than a human can to keep the instability in check and make them fly like normal airplanes. There are advantages to maneuverability that come with doing that. I don’t know what’s so hard to understand about this.

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 3, 2019

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

e.pilot posted:

No offense but you sound like someone that plays a lot of flight sims that knows enough to sound like they know what they’re talking about, but have literally no idea what you’re talking about.

I'm not gonna lie, most of what I've learned about aerodynamics and stability analysis came from Kerbal Space Program, or were at least initiated by Kerbal Space Program. If you disagree with what I'm saying though you're welcome to make an argument any time you like.

I know we do have some actual knowledgeable people in here and I'm certainly not claiming to be an expert, but I'm pretty sure I know what I don't know.

e:

e.pilot posted:

Aircraft, specifically militarily aircraft (and I guess the MAX8 :dadjoke:) can and are built to be unstable and are only flyable with computers making adjustments faster than a human can to keep the instability in check and make them fly like normal airplanes. There are advantages to maneuverability that come with doing that. I don’t know what’s so hard to understand about this.

I guess I must be really bad at making my point, or maybe nobody except vessbot understands the words I'm using, because this is orthogonal to the entire discussion. The only thing I'm talking about is that I find "unstable" to be a misleading term that really doesn't help understanding of how or why that maneuverability advantage exists.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Imagine you’ve built some silly rocket in Kerbal that flies beautifully and is amazingly stable, but turns like garbage because it is so stable and is next to useless.

Now imagine you’ve built one that you can turn, but turns too easily and is a handful to fly and frequently loses control, but it is controllable for a little bit you just can’t physically keep up with the control inputs to keep it flying straight.

Now imagine you put a computer in charge of making it fly straight, it makes all the little adjustments for you so it appears to fly like the normal stable rocket you built before, but when you want to turn, it relaxes all those hundreds of little inputs it had been doing and allows the rocket to turn really well in the direction you’ve asked the computer to turn, taking advantage of the instability. When you decide you’re done with the turn and return the controls back to normal the computer resumes making the constant adjustments to make it fly straight.

Now let’s take this a step further:

You’ve built an airplane that’s amazingly stable, the best, let’s call it an F4 Phantom. It’s not a bad plane, but man it really sucks at turning, especially at speed, what can be done to fix that? Bigger control surfaces maybe? Now it weighs more and the stresses on the control surfaces are greater. Less payload and less reliability. And since it weighs more, now it needs bigger engines to have the same performance, those weigh more too, and use more fuel so now the plane needs to carry more fuel. Now the handling characteristics are even worse than what they were before since it’s so much heavier and bigger.

So what do you do? You build a plane that turns so well it normally wouldn’t be able to fly without losing control because the plane would want to turn itself if not for making control inputs to counter the turning tendencies. But that would be fatiguing to fly, and if it were made really unstable maybe even impossible to fly, because control inputs couldn’t be put in fast enough. So what if we put one of those newfangled computers in charge of keeping it stable? These computers can keep the oscillations of the instability in check faster than the pilot can even notice them. In fact the computer will be so important to keeping the plane flying we’ll put four of them in for redundancy. We’ll call this one the F-16. It works great and is very maneuverable but flies intuitively like a normal airplane because of the computers, even though it is an unstable design.

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 3, 2019