Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

actually3raccoons posted:

As I was telling one of my friends who actively hates 5e, despite it's flaws, it's probably the best gateway RPG to date. The question is whether or not those people stick with the hobby long enough to branch out to other games, or if that even interests them. The (bigger) downside is that the higher sales of 5e don't encourage FLGS'-who are usually on a razor thin margin-to stock other materials.

There's a difference between being a gateway because the decades of industry dominance and cultural penetration make it statically anomalous for you not to start on it, and being a gateway because its intended to be an easy introduction to a wider hobby it expects you to eventually engage with.

D&D has never had any interest in being a gateway and 5e is no different. D&D is the default. It's also designed (both on a conscious and unconscious level) to retain customers, not train them to experiment with other games.

E-

Flavivirus posted:

Honestly? I have been hearing some pretty worrying reports from others in the industry of a significant sales dip for anything that’s not 5e, with even major IP licenses having trouble.

Remains to be seen if it’s going to be an ongoing trend or a minor blip, though. And the shuttering of G+ has driven indie discussion to a lot of semi-private slacks/discords.

I know that Facebook is just as evil as Google, but is there any reason to opt for a discord over a public Facebook group? Or have both and promote the discord there? You'd have a larger platform to post news and stuff on at least.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Nuns with Guns posted:

There's a difference between being a gateway because the decades of industry dominance and cultural penetration make it statically anomalous for you not to start on it, and being a gateway because its intended to be an easy introduction to a wider hobby it expects you to eventually engage with.

D&D has never had any interest in being a gateway and 5e is no different. D&D is the default. It's also designed (both on a conscious and unconscious level) to retain customers, not train them to experiment with other games.

E-

I know that Facebook is just as evil as Google, but is there any reason to opt for a discord over a public Facebook group? Or have both and promote the discord there? You'd have a larger platform to post news and stuff on at least.

Demographics, mainly. Facebook is the domain of dads and moms, Doscords aim somewhat younger.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Is that sales dip confounded?

It would seem perfectly feasible that the only thing that sells statistically significant amounts and isn’t 5E is Pathfinder, and that’s dipping because players are either waiting for the new edition or quitting for 5E because of it.

I guess the “major IP” is Star Wars? But that’s a kinda wonky system and is potentially unappealing for supplementation.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Paizo announced that they're doing a compiled edition of Kingmaker, one of their most popular adventure path series, for Pathfinder 2e - and D&D 5e, their direct competitor. (But not Pathfinder 1e!) Things are getting weird.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Nuns with Guns posted:

Facebook loving sucks and I'm already on discord so that's probably the main reason. And hell, I'm an old man, statistically speaking.

It would make sense to have a promotional channel on FB tho.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Dawgstar posted:

I still think it's impressive not a single one of the two-dozen-ish pregens are made according to the chargen rules, possibly because they were made under different iterations of the rules and nobody ever bothered to finalize things.

What's more impressive is the same thing happened with the 5e core book. It's not like they didn't know that could be a problem, when they were publishing Anarchy.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Arivia posted:

Paizo announced that they're doing a compiled edition of Kingmaker, one of their most popular adventure path series, for Pathfinder 2e - and D&D 5e, their direct competitor. (But not Pathfinder 1e!) Things are getting weird.

is 5e even much of a competitor to paizo's business model these days though? the amount of 5e content has been real anemic, i kinda get why paizo would think about slipping back into doing d&d third party stuff to fill in that niche that wizards themselves stopped providing

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Arivia posted:

What the gently caress

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Arivia posted:

Lol if Paizo goes back to just sponging entirely off of D&D

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Liquid Communism posted:

What's more impressive is the same thing happened with the 5e core book. It's not like they didn't know that could be a problem, when they were publishing Anarchy.

It's been that way at least as far back as 2e. It's a tradition at this point.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Mors Rattus posted:

Demographics, mainly. Facebook is the domain of dads and moms, Doscords aim somewhat younger.

I mean, fair point, Facebook has settled into being that place The Youths only use to share conservative prom night photos for their grandmas and great-aunts to like, but that can't be much worse than whatever Google+ settled into after the first year-ish it was released.

Nessus posted:

Facebook loving sucks and I'm already on discord so that's probably the main reason. And hell, I'm an old man, statistically speaking.

It would make sense to have a promotional channel on FB tho.

Pretty much. I'm not surprised at a discord existing for more active conversations, but there's not a built in networking community without getting the invites to the right channels.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
For those interested in what the gently caress was going on in the early TSR days, Ernie Gygax has posted a hell of a thing

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

xiw posted:

For those interested in what the gently caress was going on in the early TSR days, Ernie Gygax has posted a hell of a thing
Wow. That's a hell of a yarn.

Well, good on him.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

xiw posted:

quote:

By 10 years of age while hanging out with my Dad, I would get a glass of beer as we watched a Bears football game (real grounding as the team was sub-par), if I could stay still long enough, more glasses of beer would be the reward

Jesus christ.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
That's Gary Gygax's kid, right? Jesus christ.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

is 5e even much of a competitor to paizo's business model these days though? the amount of 5e content has been real anemic, i kinda get why paizo would think about slipping back into doing d&d third party stuff to fill in that niche that wizards themselves stopped providing

Yes. There are differences but they’re still both high production value fantasy RPGs with a bunch of splatbooks.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Arivia posted:

Yes. There are differences but they’re still both high production value fantasy RPGs with a bunch of splatbooks.

People don't use "Pathfinder" as a shorthand for 'Fantasy RPG', so, yeah, they're definitely competitors. Biggest difference being that Paizo is willing to sell all kinds of random poo poo through their online store and tends to make more ancillary products.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Ratoslov posted:

It's been that way at least as far back as 2e. It's a tradition at this point.

The 2e tradition, as I recall, was the glossy sample character pages falling out of the book if you breathed too hard around them.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

The 2e tradition, as I recall, was the glossy sample character pages falling out of the book if you breathed too hard around them.

Can confirm.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I had my original 2e book cut and spiral-bound to stop it, then bought a hardback off a buddy.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I bought Core Rules and then Core Rules II and never had to buy a physical 2nd edition book, plus the CD-Roms I think had a character generator on them IIRC

come to think of it those might have been the first official PDFs in the RPG industry?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

come to think of it those might have been the first official PDFs in the RPG industry?

IIRC, they were so early they weren’t even PDFs. I remember mine having the books in both .RTF and chaptered Windows help file format.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Comrade Koba posted:

IIRC, they were so early they weren’t even PDFs. I remember mine having the books in both .RTF and chaptered Windows help file format.

Yep. I was cleaning out my mom's basement sometime in the last couple of years, and found my old Core Rules CD-ROM. On top of the RTFs, it also had a map editor! I think there was also an automated character sheet.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Arivia posted:

The 5e work is a Bestiary based on Kingmaker, not a conversion of Kingmaker as a whole

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

gradenko_2000 posted:

The 5e work is a Bestiary based on Kingmaker, not a conversion of Kingmaker as a whole

What else do you really even need to convert though? The monsters are where all the stats are for the DM, all that’s left is using the 5E version of whatever items get rewarded and adjusting the difficulty of checks slightly, all of which is basically just find/replace.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Well. Here's a thing.

Reading between the lines, it looks like: a) whatever lawsuit Frog God had been threatening BJ with has been settled out of court and b) it's been settled broadly in BJ's favour, given that it's Frog God voluntarily giving money to RAINN and acknowledging fault on Bill Webb's part.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Comrade Gorbash posted:

What else do you really even need to convert though? The monsters are where all the stats are for the DM, all that’s left is using the 5E version of whatever items get rewarded and adjusting the difficulty of checks slightly, all of which is basically just find/replace.

I get your point, I just wanted to distinguish that someone who wanted to run Kingmaker wouldn't be able to do it with just the 5e book - they'd also have to have the Kingmaker AP separately.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

I get your point, I just wanted to distinguish that someone who wanted to run Kingmaker wouldn't be able to do it with just the 5e book - they'd also have to have the Kingmaker AP separately.

It does feel like Paizo are leaving money on the table there. I guess their core "no change thanks" customer base would rebel if they were seen to be pandering too much to the current edition of D&D, but their bottom line can't justify entirely ignoring 5E, so this is the awkward compromise.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

xiw posted:

Jesus Christ.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I wasn't expecting it to go so... entrepreneurial.

I noticed that the Coke was pure bunk and over priced, so I perceived a way to spend my parting capital and start a business.

As the new venture grew, I used my CEO Management Schooling and people skills as well as getting the best product far closer to the source in South America.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I wasn't expecting it to go so... entrepreneurial.

I noticed that the Coke was pure bunk and over priced, so I perceived a way to spend my parting capital and start a business.

As the new venture grew, I used my CEO Management Schooling and people skills as well as getting the best product far closer to the source in South America.

Narcos fifth season confirmed

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It sure looks like the Gygax kid had some problems along the way.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Kids love beer, it's full of vitamin E.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
The "family giving beers to kids" bit was somewhat common among my cohort growing up white trash in rural America in the 70s and 80s. Especially around hunting.

Mind you, I'm not suggesting this is good or healthy or anything. There's a reason I can count my years of sobriety these days. But I do remember the culture shock moving out of that environment and finding out that no, most people did not get a can of schlitz as a reward for shooting squirrels futzing around the neighbor's garden.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Warthur posted:

Well. Here's a thing.

Reading between the lines, it looks like: a) whatever lawsuit Frog God had been threatening BJ with has been settled out of court and b) it's been settled broadly in BJ's favour, given that it's Frog God voluntarily giving money to RAINN and acknowledging fault on Bill Webb's part.

I'm still not clear on if the lawsuit was real or was some alt-right lawyers posturing without any actual involvement. It doesn't mean Frog God's any less awful, because they still are and Bill Webb has still been trying to rewrite history.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

It's a shame they're not completely adapting Kingmaker, I would have actually bought that. It's more work than I'd care to do to get the original AP and cross reference it constantly with a bestiary and the 5e DMG, let alone converting everything mechanical that isn't a monster or magic item myself.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Desiden posted:

The "family giving beers to kids" bit was somewhat common among my cohort growing up white trash in rural America in the 70s and 80s. Especially around hunting.

Mind you, I'm not suggesting this is good or healthy or anything. There's a reason I can count my years of sobriety these days. But I do remember the culture shock moving out of that environment and finding out that no, most people did not get a can of schlitz as a reward for shooting squirrels futzing around the neighbor's garden.

Yeah. I am from the area and time period in question (SE Wisconsin, 70s and 80s) and was routinely offered beer by relatives.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Warthur posted:

Well. Here's a thing.

Another win for Blackface Lawyer!

Monokeros deAstris
Nov 7, 2006
which means Magical Space Unicorn

Warthur posted:

Well. Here's a thing.

I don't like it because if I, for example, declare that I don't feel safe attending a con with Bill Webb in it or that I will continue to boycott Frog God -- both of which are still true -- his defenders are going to point to that and say that I'm "attacking" him against the wishes of his [singular, of course] victim. That said, I don't begrudge her protecting herself by negotiating this, it's just that it isn't going to convince anyone with an opinion to change that opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I asked for a sip of beer, and my dad let me drink his "beer" which was actually Famous Grouse, because my dad is cool.