Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Here's hoping Shadowrun 6th drops at Gen Con!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.

OB_Juan posted:

Here's hoping Shadowrun 6th drops at Gen Con!

gently caress yes. This is the first I heard of it and google showed me the glorious news.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I've been told they are shooting for October but I haven't checked to confirm.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Says here that Beginner's Box will drop at Origins and Core Rulebook will be at GenCon.
http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?6259-Shadowrun-6th-Edition-Announced

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

I've heard about Shots Wednesday a couple of times but never went to it. Is it just...Goons doing shots? I'm going to be there with three friends, two of which are sort-of-Goons (they haven't read or posted in forever) so I figure we should probably do that.

Also definitely showing up on Tuesday this year. That'll give me time to see family and friends, mentally prepare myself, and also my job has unlimited vacation so why the gently caress not

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Necronomicon posted:

I've heard about Shots Wednesday a couple of times but never went to it. Is it just...Goons doing shots? I'm going to be there with three friends, two of which are sort-of-Goons (they haven't read or posted in forever) so I figure we should probably do that.

Also definitely showing up on Tuesday this year. That'll give me time to see family and friends, mentally prepare myself, and also my job has unlimited vacation so why the gently caress not

Shots Wednesday is actually a trip to the local outdoor range where we get our Yee Haw on and empty about 5000 rounds into stacks of old boardgames and sourcebooks that didn't sell in last year's auction.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Necronomicon posted:

Theres also bratwurst and such!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Necronomicon posted:

shots wednesday was borne out of a dinner i organized on my first year at gencon when Mudcrab told me "deviant, the gencon goons are cool, but it's not a drunken shitshow like dragoncon" and i said "well i'll fuckin' fix that."

we all went to the tilted kilt because it was the only thing that didnt have a wait. they patiently allowed our group of 8 to grow into a group of 20, and i bought a round of shots. things rapidly escalated.

now we go to the Rathskeller, because it has an outdoor patio that can support one Failure(tm) of goons, has food, and will happily let us drink ourselves even stupider as long as we don't stand on the tables.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 2, 2019

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Originally there was a goon bar trivia meetup but the place folded in-between gencons, so it just became a drinking meetup. It mostly serves to let you put faces to the names in the groupme chat in a low-key environment. Rathskellar is a Beer Garden so you just order from the window and there’s no fuss over checks/waitstaff and rapidly increasing amounts of people.

Highly reccommend, even if you don’t drink. Plus you can make plans and hear about stuff at Gencon you might not know about

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Everything food related seems to be failing at Indianapolis. I am pretty sure all that is open right now is the RAM, the Rathskeller, and the Steak and Shake. Pretty sure Steak and Shake survives due to the Lovecraftian beast that drives its shake machine from the sewers below.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

nesbit37 posted:

Everything food related seems to be failing at Indianapolis. I am pretty sure all that is open right now is the RAM, the Rathskeller, and the Steak and Shake. Pretty sure Steak and Shake survives due to the Lovecraftian beast that drives its shake machine from the sewers below.

There's a TON of great places to eat in downtown Indy! Some of them are a short Uber ride away, but all are easily doable during an hour or two break in your schedule if you need to get away. It's in the OP, but my friend and I wrote up a list of places convenient to the Con to get food.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Sun King has food now too. And there’s all the places on Mass Ave.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

CyberPunk Red will have a GenCon release this year.

Praise.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Agrias120 posted:

There's a TON of great places to eat in downtown Indy! Some of them are a short Uber ride away, but all are easily doable during an hour or two break in your schedule if you need to get away. It's in the OP, but my friend and I wrote up a list of places convenient to the Con to get food.

Maybe, but a larger than usual number of them (at least as far as Gen Con goers are concerned) have closed this past year. And uber to food? Never! That takes up valuable gaming, drinking, and sleeping time.

Some of the ones closed in the last 12 months of note, I am sure there are more:

Scotty's
Shula's (apparently there were 15 downtown steakhouses, now there are 10)
Red the Steakhouse
Hard Rock Cafe
Noodles & Co
Crispy-bird Fried Chicken
King David Dogs
Broken English (pretty sure this place opened up after Gen Con last year and is already closed)

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

nesbit37 posted:

Maybe, but a larger than usual number of them (at least as far as Gen Con goers are concerned) have closed this past year. And uber to food? Never! That takes up valuable gaming, drinking, and sleeping time.

Some of the ones closed in the last 12 months of note, I am sure there are more:

Scotty's
Red the Steakhouse
Hard Rock Cafe
Noodles & Co
King David Dogs
Broken English (pretty sure this place opened up after Gen Con last year and is already closed)

RIP Havali :(

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I really wish I could remember the name of the bar with the racist owner. This was probably 9 years ago, but we ventured out for lunch and ended up at a sports bar on the back (from the convention center) of one of the local high-rises. Sat down for lunch, everything was on Cartoon Network and they had GenCon themed stuff around. We had decent burgers and most of the way through the meal the owner came up said Hi, and how happy he was that it was GenCon because it's the only local convention that doesn't bring black people in. We (three mid 20s white guys) were all so stunned that we didn't respond at all, and then left.

Really should have remembered the name so no one would go there.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Toshimo posted:

Shots Wednesday is actually a trip to the local outdoor range where we get our Yee Haw on and empty about 5000 rounds into stacks of old boardgames and sourcebooks that didn't sell in last year's auction.
Yes this is certainly how I remember it

Though now that I think of it I have never actually gone

So it really could be anything, but yeah that sounds totally right to me

Necronomicon posted:

I am also aiming to go for the first time this year, and though I have never gone as I am the head of the Pushmi-Pullyu who only speaks the truth you can believe me here, since I am continually surprised by how cool basically every GenGoon is, it is definitely worth attending. In like 2015 there was one Goon who seemed incapable of taking a breath while talking (ever, I can still hear him) and then there was the one-person-not-paying-a-portion-of-the-bill debacle from 2017? but considering the stereotypes of bad Internet People In Real Life, it has been definitively fun hanging out with everyone from these threads.

nesbit37 posted:

Scotty's
Red the Steakhouse
Hard Rock Cafe
Noodles & Co
King David Dogs
Oh good, I said something on the OFFICIAL FORUMS about this, in response to someone saying there were really no fewer places to eat now than a few years ago, and I was like ARE YOU IGNORING THE FOODPOCALYPSE

Havali is clearly the greatest Goon Restaurant Loss of the past two years, alongside Colts Grille, though I have to say Scotty's Brewhouse closing really throws me for a loop as that was the last place I knew of where my specific secret Gen-Con Elder Cabal groups went for their official dinners.

I suppose I can, you know, contact the high priest in the usual methods to ascertain the location of the new restaurant, but where am I going to find a virgin in 2019? :(

OgreNoah posted:

I really wish I could remember the name of the bar with the racist owner. This was probably 9 years ago, but we ventured out for lunch and ended up at a sports bar on the back (from the convention center) of one of the local high-rises. Sat down for lunch, everything was on Cartoon Network and they had GenCon themed stuff around. We had decent burgers and most of the way through the meal the owner came up said Hi, and how happy he was that it was GenCon because it's the only local convention that doesn't bring black people in. We (three mid 20s white guys) were all so stunned that we didn't respond at all, and then left.

Really should have remembered the name so no one would go there.
I know this is every sports bar at Gen-Con, but are you 100% sure it was not ... oh you know what, I forgot the Champps in the Marriott moved and changed to Conner's Kitchen and Pub, which is surely not the same thing anyway so I suppose it would be irrelevant now even if it was that one.

Still, wow. Nice reminder about Indiana's important role in Midwest racism for sure! He belongs in a museum! Maybe all the fascist shitpeople angry about Gen-Con embracing diversity instead of a sabaton stamping on an orc face forever can find that guy and spend all their time there instead

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Dr. Quarex posted:

I know this is every sports bar at Gen-Con, but are you 100% sure it was not ... oh you know what, I forgot the Champps in the Marriott moved and changed to Conner's Kitchen and Pub, which is surely not the same thing anyway so I suppose it would be irrelevant now even if it was that one.

Still, wow. Nice reminder about Indiana's important role in Midwest racism for sure! He belongs in a museum! Maybe all the fascist shitpeople angry about Gen-Con embracing diversity instead of a sabaton stamping on an orc face forever can find that guy and spend all their time there instead

It wasn't Champspspspsps or however many consonants they choose to use. It wasn't a chain, that would have made it easier to remember.

We all sorta stared at each other wondering if what he said was what we actually heard. Could barely believe the casual racism issuing from his mouth.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I wonder how many racists think people agree with them just because they drop their race bomb and run away without a response leaving the people too shocked to respond.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I can vouch for Shots Wednesday. I showed up with my girlfriend and didn't say anything until the shots started coming. Then I kept running into goons in the halls and even played some board games.

Join the GroupMe, you'll get constant updates of stupid poo poo and also where goons are congregating.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
The most important part of groupme is pics of sleepy gamers taking naps which starts on friday/saturday afternoon and peaks sunday morning

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

And the running tally of utilikilts.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

And the friends you made along the way.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
I'm hoping to attend shots Wednesday, but may have my luggage with me as I can't check into the hotel until the guys I'm rooming with get in ( Which is projected for ~11pm apparently ).

I'm debating on if this is going to be a shitshow to have my messenger bag carry on and a small suit case with me...

Also of note, those goons traveling, better to wait on getting a flight sorted closer to the event or farther out? I haven't booked my flight as of yet, but also don't want to get stuck with a 8 hour flight that could be less than 2.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Drowning Rabbit posted:

I'm hoping to attend shots Wednesday, but may have my luggage with me as I can't check into the hotel until the guys I'm rooming with get in ( Which is projected for ~11pm apparently ).

I'm debating on if this is going to be a shitshow to have my messenger bag carry on and a small suit case with me...

Also of note, those goons traveling, better to wait on getting a flight sorted closer to the event or farther out? I haven't booked my flight as of yet, but also don't want to get stuck with a 8 hour flight that could be less than 2.

any decent hotel will hold your luggage for you and give you a claim ticket even if you havent checked in yet

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

CellBlock posted:

With the success of their kickstarter, I'd imagine they'll probably just be ticketed this year. (Then again, they may have been ticketed last year and most people still just showed up with generics.)

Goddamn I wish the manufacturing wasn't going to take so long; I want to storytell goon games of this.

I think they have some print and play stuff we could do in the mean time.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Deviant posted:

any decent hotel will hold your luggage for you and give you a claim ticket even if you havent checked in yet

Even if the room isn’t in my name?

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Even if the room isn’t in my name?

Yep, also they should be able to put additional names on the room. Ask them to put yours because you’ll be there early and you should be able to check in yourself

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Dr. Quarex posted:

I suppose I can, you know, contact the high priest in the usual methods to ascertain the location of the new restaurant, but where am I going to find a virgin in 2019? :(

There's this event happening around the same time absolutely FILLED TO THE BRIM with non sex havers. Maybe you've heard of it?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

I wonder how many racists think people agree with them just because they drop their race bomb and run away without a response leaving the people too shocked to respond.
*inserts Seinfeld "going out on a high note" clip where George proposes murdering all Slavs*

Drowning Rabbit posted:

I would check flight prices on like Google Flights and as soon as a non-stop flight (assuming there is one, sounds like it) was at a reasonable price I would book it, because you know, layovers increase your chances of flight cancellations or delays if nothing else.

Carteret posted:

There's this event happening around the same time absolutely FILLED TO THE BRIM with non sex havers. Maybe you've heard of it?
Lollapalooza? Huh, would not have thought of it, but good point

(also hilarious to see A. Lollapalooza still exists apparently and B. it is the exact same days as Gen-Con; probably more overlap there than with other big events actually)

(also a good time to remind myself that thanks to Lollapalooza I once saw a show co-headlined by Devo and Tool which was clearly a twofer of more interest to me than just about anyone else in the audience)

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

It's kind of off the beaten path, on the street between the stadium and the convention center to the east, but The Slippery Noodle had good food and big portions. When we went last year, I brought some fettuccine Alfredo back to the hotel.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
The Eiteljorg Museum is like one block from the convention center, and it's cafe offers a somewhat limited menu of southwestern-style food, local craft beer, and a changing "quesadilla of the day." You don't need to pay any admission to eat there.

You're welcome.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
Last year, I liked the Punch Bowl Social on Meridian Street, on the far side of the mall from the convention. Just outside of the range most con-goers are willing to walk for food, and seldom busy outside of exactly lunchtime. Decent food, some good veggie-friendly options, and the owner and staff are really cordial to out-of-town dorks like me and my group.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Indianapolis is a small airport. Personally, I would not wait to get a plane ticket.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Dr. Quarex posted:

(also a good time to remind myself that thanks to Lollapalooza I once saw a show co-headlined by Devo and Tool which was clearly a twofer of more interest to me than just about anyone else in the audience)
The one I went to was headed up by Soundgarden, Ministry, and the Red Hot Chili Peppers. No joke, probably the best concert I've ever attended.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Event catalogue Sunday at noon.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
And... this is what they were talking about with Project Galileo apparently.

(picture of announcement because whatever)

I do not think I have strong feelings about the idea of a Pop-Up Gen-Con one way or another. Though ironically I suspect this will be the precise kind of thing that takes place entirely outside parts of the country I am likely to be (well, O.K., I do work in Chicago during the week and I would be shocked if there were nothing there, but I doubt Iowa is gonna be popping)

Ilor posted:

The one I went to was headed up by Soundgarden, Ministry, and the Red Hot Chili Peppers. No joke, probably the best concert I've ever attended.
Yeah that sounds extraordinarily Good-MTV-Era. Also unrelated but I was just thinking about dead 90s rock icons the other day and it is shocking for many reasons that Al Jourgensen is still alive (and still capable of speech and thought, I suppose, for that matter).

Also I am gonna add those food suggestions to the original post, especially the Slippery Noodle because hell yeah

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Thanks to a side conversation I had with apparent Ancient Gamingsman Black August in the TG Chat Thread, I discovered that the Traditional Games subforum is actually older than I realized when using Archives to dig before--it turns out what happened is the original Traditional Games subforum was changed into the "The Game Room" subforum, so that is where the threads dating back to 2003 currently reside.

AND, LO AND BEHOLD, even in 2003, there was a Gen-Con thread. HOW. ABOUT. THAT.

:siren: THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING :siren: and now I am going to review another maybe-six years of threads

more on this as it develops

Quarex nobody cares but you

when has this stopped me before

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Quarex posted:

Quarex nobody cares but you

I care Quarex... I care...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

I care Quarex... I care...
I believe it. You are objectively more dedicated to any remotely interesting Gen-Con history than I am even!

You will be astounded to learn I have already found six threads in 2003 and 2004 alone, though it helps that one of them is hilariously about Gen Con So Cal