Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Rime posted:

Kenneys speech to Parliament today on c69 was a disgustingly transparent attempt to further stoke Alberta separatist populism.

He's really gunning for a dictatorship.

Mod edit: extremely nope

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

I was really surprised that Kenney could speak French, let alone really well.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I have an electric car, it's pretty great. Payback time in decreased fuel and maintenance is pretty quick, too - just a few years, and that's even without ascribing any time saving value to the HOV lane access.

Hydro Quebec put out a PDF that shows how long it took to come out ahead on hybrid and EV by model... before the addition of the federal subsidy.

For most cars, it was 2-4 years... Even faster now in BC/QC.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I was legitimately planning to ditch my van for Subaru's new hybrid, which gets fantastic range, but they've deliberately delayed launching it in Canada until late 2020 when these rebates expire.

And yes, the left in this country absolutely needs to put down the peace pipe and start picking up guns, either metaphorical or physical.

Rime fucked around with this message at 12:58 on May 3, 2019

Silver Spooner
Jun 10, 2013

Helsing posted:

The problem is that Rae responded by trying to win over the business community and press - in large part by making both real and symbolic attacks on the labour unions that had worked like hell to get him into office. I get really tired of NDP complaining about their treatment under Rae. I mean of course they were attacked by the media, who would want to support a party that wasn't getting attacked by the media constantly? I'd rather talk about how the NDP hosed up the best chance it ever got instead of enabling them to cry about the mean old media.

Yeah I do have trouble squaring that - my dad was OPSEU at the time and had to take that hit. Appeasement policy never does seem to work around businesses and media so you may as well do what you plan to do as a left party and not let everyone else try to drag you into the centre. I am firmly in the 'austerity kills' camp for sure.

Of course, all of the good that was done by the NDP in terms of policy and public works were pissed away by the Harris PCs and having been a student through those years I got opinions about them. The 407 is basically a trigger word for a buddy of mine. Rae still managed to hand them a solid economic recovery on a plate despite it all, I remember reading that Ontario recovered from that recession faster than the rest of the world.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
https://twitter.com/MaximeBernier/status/1124303245868969984

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

*squeeky wet fart*

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Boy oh boy is Max Bernier ever a gigantic piece of poo poo.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

vyelkin posted:

Now do widows and widowers.

"You failed to keep your wife/husband alive so you better work harder with the kids now. It's your last shot at not being a complete failure." - Some stupid politician

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

"I looked at the comments, Ray."

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Please tell me this brain damaged goober is gonna bleed votes off the Cons in the election.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If Bernier gets the Jordy Pooperson voters then I will forgive him

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

It's getting him to miss all the other CPC voters that'll be the trick.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
The people for whom, despite his best efforts, Andy Scheer isn't a big enough sack of poo poo.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
While I shudder to think what a Bernier led CPC would be like, I'm loving his blackjack and hookers party shenanigans ruffling conservative feathers.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Madkal posted:

Please tell me this brain damaged goober is gonna bleed votes off the Cons in the election.

He's polling at like less than a single percent

It also doesn't matter, Scheer and the CPC are definitely going to strip Gender Identity out of the list of things you can't discriminate against when they win their majority later this year

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DariusLikewise posted:

He's polling at like less than a single percent

His party name sounds like something running a 50’s Soviet block nation. I don’t think he is going to get the conservative voter base.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

This election is going to be absolutely and completely emotionally draining, isn't it?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

This election is going to be absolutely and completely emotionally draining, isn't it?

Welcome to being an adult who cares about important things. If they are emotionally draining, you're fighting for something you care about and are worried that it is going to be taken away. That's a good thing right? :unsmith:

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Helps explain why he didn't want to run again.

https://twitter.com/acoyne/status/1124359748579512321

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

https://globalnews.ca/news/5231958/ontario-government-opp-queens-park-protest-guillotine/amp/

lmao

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Drewjitsu posted:

Welcome to being an adult who cares about important things. If they are emotionally draining, you're fighting for something you care about and are worried that it is going to be taken away. That's a good thing right? :unsmith:

You think the Liberals could have at least got rid of FPP before they self destructed. :sigh:

I wonder if they're kicking themselves over that now. As much I don't care for the liberals, I will always infinitely hate the cons more.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I guarantee you the only regret they have is not forcing through AV.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
These numbers are brutal for the Liberals

Other recent polls aren't necessarily quite that bad but do also show an uptick for the Greens and NDP (though the NDP is firmly back in pre-2011 territory and doesn't seem to be doing well in Quebec).

Also, based on the Angus Reid poll:

Angus Reid posted:

--Currently, one-in-three voters (35%) say that they are planning to vote for a party because they
dislike another party even more and want to prevent that party from winning. This sentiment is
equally high among Liberals (40%) and Conservatives (40%)

--Conservative leader Andrew Scheer (40% approve, 46% disapprove), NDP leader Jagmeet
Singh (34% vs 45%) and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau (28% vs 67) all have negative net
approval scores. Only Green Party leader Elizabeth May is approved of by more Canadians than
disapprove of her (45% vs 34%)

--Once again, Canadians identify health care (24%) and the deficit (18%) as high priorities heading
into the 2019 election, but environmental issues (27%) now top the list of priorities. Priorities vary
significantly across generations and by party support

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Queen's Park is basically part of U of T campus so I'm pretty sure that counts as campus free speech, your move DoFo.

Helsing posted:

These numbers are brutal for the Liberals

Other recent polls aren't necessarily quite that bad but do also show an uptick for the Greens and NDP (though the NDP is firmly back in pre-2011 territory and doesn't seem to be doing well in Quebec).

Also, based on the Angus Reid poll:

the one encouraging thing in here is the environment topping the list of priorities, not that it will matter when Andrew "drill baby drill" Scheer takes office with a CPC majority.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

You think the Liberals could have at least got rid of FPP before they self destructed. :sigh:

I wonder if they're kicking themselves over that now. As much I don't care for the liberals, I will always infinitely hate the cons more.

They're not kicking themselves and you wouldn't think they'd have done that. The Liberals are opposed to electoral reform.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

vyelkin posted:

the one encouraging thing in here is the environment topping the list of priorities, not that it will matter when Andrew "drill baby drill" Scheer takes office with a CPC majority.

Honestly, having a superficially progressive government in power often seems to paralyze a big part of the activist community and creates a lot of reluctance to fully commit to criticizing the government. Given how woefully inadequate any of the actual legislative solutions being presented are I am not convinced that we'd be that much worse off with the Liberals losing. Up until his current dive in the polls Trudeau was a very effective spokesperson for pretending to care about the environment while materially contributing to its destruction.

With the conservatives in power at least the sheer inadequacy of an incrementalist legislative approach is made clear and the antagonism between activists and the government is heightened. What do we have to show after almost a full term under the Liberals?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Helsing posted:

What do we have to show after almost a full term under the Liberals?

$5k off an EV up to $55k!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Helsing posted:

Honestly, having a superficially progressive government in power often seems to paralyze a big part of the activist community and creates a lot of reluctance to fully commit to criticizing the government. Given how woefully inadequate any of the actual legislative solutions being presented are I am not convinced that we'd be that much worse off with the Liberals losing. Up until his current dive in the polls Trudeau was a very effective spokesperson for pretending to care about the environment while materially contributing to its destruction.

With the conservatives in power at least the sheer inadequacy of an incrementalist legislative approach is made clear and the antagonism between activists and the government is heightened. What do we have to show after almost a full term under the Liberals?

Well, we gave billions of dollars to an American oil company in exchange for nothing, so that's definitely built up a lot of political capital to buy support for our weak as poo poo carbon tax that will get repealed in six months anyway.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Looks like this is gonna be our Reichstag

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

vyelkin posted:

Well, we gave billions of dollars to an American oil company in exchange for nothing, so that's definitely built up a lot of political capital to buy support for our weak as poo poo carbon tax that will get repealed in six months anyway.

Well not exactly nothing, we did get the existing pipeline. But we still had no business buying it, especially at that price.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

*Texan oil company.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

I really despise those MPs.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Rich Loleman
https://twitter.com/DailyHiveVan/status/1124370774100533248

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I wanna start a Guillotine Party. That way all the people showing up to rallies with guillotines are just turning up in support for getting me elected.

My platform will be a place where the 1% get guillotined.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is Doug Ford face a degenerative disease among middle aged white politicians?

Saskatchewan court of appeals declared the federal carbon tax is constitutional today, can't wait to see how other provinces twist their hair trying to fight it.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 3, 2019

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is Doug Ford face a degenerative disease among middle aged white politicians?

there was a law passed a while ago that mandated all populist assholes have to look like Biff Tannen

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Saskatchewan Court of Appeal rules that the carbon tax is constitutional

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/carbon-tax-is-constitutional-saskatchewan-court-of-appeal-rules-1.5121414

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

The revamped child care benefit has done some pretty high level amounts of good, no? It seems like a pretty clear lesson that “well-funded social welfare programs are, in fact, A Good Thing”. But that seems like that’s about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

The Rule of Law types are not gonna like this.