Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

flatluigi posted:

I'm familiar with the quote and the astrophysicist in question, which is why I'm laughing at you and why I'm laughing at you even harder for doubling down

In what context is that NOT mocking scientists? Just loving tell me how I'm wrong instead of going "haha look at the idiot".
Maybe you're misunderstanding me. At this point I am aware of who he is. I just don't know why he said those things, because it sounds really bad.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Apr 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
this isn't really the place for deep Witness discussion and remaking/resurrecting a thread for the game would just end up having a lot of discussion around noted actual idiot JBlow but one of the better choices he made was to select quotes from actual famous thinkers to use in the game instead of writing deep thoughts himself

who you're making GBS threads on is literally one of the most famous and well-respected astrophysicists known for helping explain Einstein's theory of relativity to the masses. the quote is about the incomprehensibility of all the fine actions we take for granted in the simple action of moving through a door and how many things have to be exactly right and come together for it to be possible. you have to have zero reading comprehension (or I guess audio comprehension?) for that to not be entirely clear

it's as if your professor joked that it's possible to walk through a wall if all the gaps in your respective atoms aligned exactly right and you pipe up in the back to go 'lol idiot why did I take this class'

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n
He's saying that it is often a good idea to disregard all the complex minutia that go into doing something in favor of just getting it done. It's a reminder not to get lost in the weeds of analysis—which is a very real pitfall one can fall into—not a potshot at scientists.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

flatluigi posted:

this isn't really the place for deep Witness discussion and remaking/resurrecting a thread for the game would just end up having a lot of discussion around noted actual idiot JBlow but one of the better choices he made was to select quotes from actual famous thinkers to use in the game instead of writing deep thoughts himself

who you're making GBS threads on is literally one of the most famous and well-respected astrophysicists known for helping explain Einstein's theory of relativity to the masses. the quote is about the incomprehensibility of all the fine actions we take for granted in the simple action of moving through a door and how many things have to be exactly right and come together for it to be possible. you have to have zero reading comprehension (or I guess audio comprehension?) for that to not be entirely clear

it's as if your professor joked that it's possible to walk through a wall if all the gaps in your respective atoms aligned exactly right and you pipe up in the back to go 'lol idiot why did I take this class'

Except that's wrong? These things don't have to be exactly right. Almost everything he mentioned is irrelevant due to momentum or other forces, or glaringly inaccurate(like atomic forces being compared to a swarm of flies... and was the aether still a thing back then?). If it's meant to be a joke (maybe a self-effacing one?) then I guess I just didn't find it funny.

Bloody Emissary posted:

He's saying that it is often a good idea to disregard all the complex minutia that go into doing something in favor of just getting it done. It's a reminder not to get lost in the weeds of analysis—which is a very real pitfall one can fall into—not a potshot at scientists.

I can accept that interpretation, I suppose.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

McFrugal posted:

Except that's wrong? These things don't have to be exactly right. Almost everything he mentioned is irrelevant due to momentum or other forces, or glaringly inaccurate(like atomic forces being compared to a swarm of flies... and was the aether still a thing back then?). If it's meant to be a joke (maybe a self-effacing one?) then I guess I just didn't find it funny.

I can accept that interpretation, I suppose.

are you asking if people still believed in the aether when albert einstein came up with the theory of relativity

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames
For fucks sake, the witness is pretentious crap, it's creator is a pretentious sexist creep, and it sucks.

BABA Is You Is AMAZING. the witness Is poo poo Is Pretentious.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the witness is a good game worth playing in spite of jblow being an awful person and I'm glad it came up in this thread at the very least for Fedule's posts about it. as much as McFrugal is hilarious, it's probably best to end the posting about it here

thankfully baba is you is recommendable without any caveats! it is a great game!

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

flatluigi posted:

are you asking if people still believed in the aether when albert einstein came up with the theory of relativity

You should watch the video because he literally says aether in the quotation.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

McFrugal posted:

You should watch the video because he literally says aether in the quotation.

People say things that they don't mean

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
The guy who realized the sun makes energy through fusion probably knew about the experiments that disproved aether's existence 40 years prior.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

TheNamedSavior posted:

For fucks sake, the witness is pretentious crap, it's creator is a pretentious sexist creep, and it sucks.

BABA Is You Is AMAZING. the witness Is poo poo Is Pretentious.

ok, fine, but it's still really silly to claim arthur eddington hated scientists lol

next mcfrugal is gonna say that schroedinger believed a cat can be both alive and dead

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Apr 29, 2019

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Guys I found this quote by some shmuck saying that he's only a member of the society of true searchers but I looked him up and like, he was in a university? "Al" Einstein clearly doesn't know what he's talking about :smuggo:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
elevators wouldn't work in space, einstein is a moron

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Holy gently caress I just solved Out at Sea.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

NRVNQSR posted:

You can stop belt being shift. You can later make it be shift again.

This hint I don't get. I can see how to break up "BELT IS SHIFT", but remaking this rule seems to trap Baba, since that part of the level is cordoned off by a belt. Do I need to start with "BELT IS PUSH", push the belt out of the way, then get "IS PUSH" back out?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Davin Valkri posted:

This hint I don't get. I can see how to break up "BELT IS SHIFT", but remaking this rule seems to trap Baba, since that part of the level is cordoned off by a belt. Do I need to start with "BELT IS PUSH", push the belt out of the way, then get "IS PUSH" back out?

You don't need to do that, but it's an idea worth pursuing. The solution I used did indeed do that.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Davin Valkri posted:

You’re absolutely right. Whoever remakes the BELT IS SHIFT rule does end up trapped.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Davin Valkri posted:

Is "A Way Out?" supposed to be noticeably harder (conceptually) than prior levels? I'm not even sure where to start! I figure I need to make "ROCK IS PUSH" somehow in order to access the lower areas, but all of the ways I can see to interact with "ROCK" end with it in a blind corner. The best I can figure, "IS" and "PUSH" also get stuck in the vertical part of that area, with no way to get them down.

I didn't understand how "belt", "shift", and "push" were supposed to operate together because I insisted on doing it asap so I looked up the interaction and then it made sense lol

Baba is Good but it breaks my brain a lot

The forest extra level is currently my ruin. I think I get what I have to do use Push to move Babas to position, then somehow get Keke to the otherside along with Keke Is You, but offset so I am not Keke until over there but I can't work the execution out.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

RBA Starblade posted:

I didn't understand how "belt", "shift", and "push" were supposed to operate together because I insisted on doing it asap so I looked up the interaction and then it made sense lol

You did the finale first? Jeez.

In the future, I recommend you grow accustomed to doing levels out of order. It took me a while to get over the compulsion to do each level in each world in order. However, I started to enjoy the game a lot more when I let go of that. When you’re stuck on a level, it actually helps a lot to go try a different level and come back.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ariong posted:

You did the finale first? Jeez.

In the future, I recommend you grow accustomed to doing levels out of order. It took me a while to get over the compulsion to do each level in each world in order. However, I started to enjoy the game a lot more when I let go of that. When you’re stuck on a level, it actually helps a lot to go try a different level and come back.

I thought it was a fakeout lol

It's a puzzle game though so it's not really a big deal, I'm solvin' puzzles still either way

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeqwb3-vENo

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

:perfect:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Found some more levels :stare:

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Hahahah, that's amazing, thanks for linking it! :tipshat: People have been doing some really wild stuff via modding.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Can anyone give me some hints for Parade? Been stuck on that one for a long time and feels like there's a lot of content behind it.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Hey anyone else who's messed with the level editor or Lua files or whatever should make LEVEL IS TELE because it's mildly amusing

to me anyway

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I'm on Garden 10 Adventurers and kinda stuck but when I went to look it up there's no video of the version of the level I have. It's the one with Flowers on it. It looks like this has been patched a few times because there's two versions on Youtube and neither one is the one I have on Switch currently.

Garden's my last world to finish up so I don't really have anything else to do except the Finale level which I've spent hours not solving already. Gah.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

mistaya posted:

Garden's my last world to finish up

*chortles knowingly*

Big, big spoilers in that regard: Have you ever noticed how the world map has rules?

I know you've already made baba on the world map. what if you make Flag as well?

Arrhythmia fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 3, 2019

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I haven't seen a way to make flag yet but I was trying to finish up the standard worlds first. I think I've only got three maps left...

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Item Getter posted:

Can anyone give me some hints for Parade? Been stuck on that one for a long time and feels like there's a lot of content behind it.

I'll try to give a couple progressive hints:

1. You can't relocate/remove either Me from where they are.

2. You'll want to hinder the upper Me indefinitely so that the other one can do its job.

3. Remember how the level "Tours" in Volcanic Cavern worked.

These might still be quite vague, I might not be very good at hints. Parade is a level where I like the idea a lot but am worried that it utilizes stuff that a relatively large chunk of players might find obtuse.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I beat the game! All the way!

...but then I went to show someone the game on my laptop and it overwrote the complete file with the last time I'd played on the laptop, and my desktop downloaded the incomplete cloud save. :smith:

Love the game, Hempuli!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Now you've really made it!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

NYT Crossword?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Jonesin' Crosswords

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abOt8nNf3KU
"Good Game Design - Baba is You"

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

Pronounces Baba wrong, disqualified

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Arrhythmia posted:

Holy gently caress I just solved Out at Sea.

I had tried some complicated solution of alternating control of the hand manually (heh) and having it move automatically but I got stuck on the second last island with both baba and hand. I'm certain it could be done that way but I spoiled myself on the intended solution.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

lil level i made for fun <3

The worst submarine fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 6, 2019

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

i see a way to break it just after posting, testing the game must have been a nightmare.

e: fixed it up?!

The worst submarine fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Whens the next switch patch?
Kinda curious since I heard there was some stuff added on pc and stuff.