Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'd turnout broke 30% I'd be surprised but I can't wait for all the columns about labour being punished and people being mad about brexit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
imagine voting for the lib dems lol

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Jose posted:

I'd turnout broke 30% I'd be surprised but I can't wait for all the columns about labour being punished and people being mad about brexit

i mean it's not an unreasonable interpretation, though limited to the 30% most likely to vote

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ayn Randi posted:

imagine voting for the lib dems lol

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

What even is a lib dems?

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Elevator Screamer posted:

What even is a lib dems?

we just don't know

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

what a helmet m8

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/joncstone/statu...ingawful.com%2F

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Yeah this is my local council. They got totally destroyed by the Greens and now I can't wait for the unilateral nuclear disarmament of Colchester.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Wait a sec.... all of those are good things!

:monocle:

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1123940873442680832

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Fried Watermelon posted:

Wait a sec.... all of those are good things!

:monocle:

NATO is the only way GB can hope to stay relevant, why would you want to leave.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Dance Officer posted:

You can still read about how important you are in your own papers, if it means so much to you. Small countries manage.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

why pay for the nukes if we’re a member of nato, and visa versa

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Missionary Positron posted:

bill hicks was the prototypical edgelord piece of poo poo who masks banal observations in trite "oh I'm sorry did I offend you :smug:" style of comedy

His new material with all the conspiracy theories is kind of entertaining.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Dance Officer posted:

The UK would become far more relevant if it attempted to rebel against the US.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The UK would become far more relevant if it attempted to rebel against the US.

yeah Corbyn going full anti-america/NATO as PM would make the UK more geopolitically important than it's been since 1945.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Bill Hicks' stuff is so underwhelming. Guess he must have been a breath of fresh air back in the day because my mum thinks he was great :shrug:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

marktheando posted:

Bill Hicks' stuff is so underwhelming. Guess he must have been a breath of fresh air back in the day because my mum thinks he was great :shrug:

I mean, if you're a birdbrained millenial with zero historical context, sure. Maybe.

In the early 2000s it was loving blasphemy to suggest that the war in Iraq was built on false pretenses. Now loving imagine saying this poo poo in the late 80s/early 90s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_whePVoqOY

Stick to the end where he is directly comparing casualty numbers, which is pretty fuckin' horrific just to think about. If you're an American kid coming up through the literal decades of social studies brainwashing, Bill Hicks was like coming out of the Matrix for the first time, because oh god, what the gently caress

Taintrunner has issued a correction as of 13:04 on May 3, 2019

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Taintrunner posted:

In the early 2000s it was loving blasphemy to suggest that the war in Iraq was built on false pretenses.

The second Gulf war brought out the biggest anti-war protests in british history. I think you meant the first gulf war in the 90's.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Valko posted:

The second Gulf war brought out the biggest anti-war protests in british history. I think you meant the first gulf war in the 90's.

I grew up in rural America. Those protests just like the ones in America accomplished nothing and not a single talking head on either side of the Atlantic made a bit of difference. So yes, it was blasphemy.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i don’t think you know what blasphemy means m8

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Yeah it didn't really become acceptable until people got tired of the war in 2005 or so

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jesus WEP posted:

if you spoke ill of the war in iraq in america you were demanded to explain precisely why you hated our troops, or in large parts of america, why you supported saddam doing 9/11

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

jesus WEP posted:

Capitalism is a religion, friend.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

jesus WEP posted:

Unless you lived in liberal enclaves, in America being critical of the war made you a terrorist sympathizer. It was absolutely blasphemy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Flayer posted:

Capitalism is a religion, friend.

Hell, at this point capitalism has bought most of Christianity.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Trump's biggest mistake is he hasn't started a war yet. Would coast to reelection.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Taintrunner posted:

if you spoke ill of the war in iraq in america you were demanded to explain precisely why you hated our troops, or in large parts of america, why you supported saddam doing 9/11

This is the British thread pal, being against the iraq war was a very very normal position

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So loving normal you never pulled out, much like your absentee father

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

It was very normal to be anti-war in Britain at the time. The leader of the house of commons resigned in protest of it.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Taintrunner posted:

So loving normal you never pulled out, much like your absentee father

just admit you were wrong fatty

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I remember specifically being in computer class in middle school, like 04-05, getting into a loud and angry argument with a kid over the fact that I had to explain that no, Saddam and bin-Laden hated each other, and no, Saddam did not do 9/11, and if you really don't believe me, then turn around and loving google who did 9/11

and they angrily refused. just awe inspiring levels of stupidity

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

the dixe chicks got in trouble in america for saying bush sucked in 2003 in London idk if this helps

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

yes we all know americans are ignorant loudmouths

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
anyways this is a derail besides the original point of how bill hicks was speaking the forbidden words of how american imperialism was bad long before the internet made it popular

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

I remember specifically being in computer class in middle school, like 04-05, getting into a loud and angry argument with a kid over the fact that I had to explain that no, Saddam and bin-Laden hated each other, and no, Saddam did not do 9/11, and if you really don't believe me, then turn around and loving google who did 9/11

and they angrily refused. just awe inspiring levels of stupidity

Yeah you were in middle school

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
I wonder if the greens are at a disadvantage in the UK because of subconscious association of the color with Ireland

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

the uk would have more viable parties if they used two color combos for the parties instead of one color each

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jose posted:

Yeah you were in middle school

The adults weren't any loving better