Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Sorry, I haven't used backerkit before and wasn't planning to start now. Please do not worry about it, it's fine and I entirely understand. I appreciate your sentiments plenty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Oh, this is so good. I’m swooning, which is bad because I’m at work. :pusheen:

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

gnome7 posted:

I entirely understand, as someone who also has budget crunch and has had to pass up on many a kickstarter I've wanted to support. You take care of your own needs first, please! The kickstarter's funded and that's all I can ask for.

But it's not all I can give. The Horizon is here, and every day from now until we cross that finish line I'll be posting a new Inverse Fellowship playbook draft for kickstarter backers to make use of.

Very excited about this. Trying to run Inverse Fellowship / World at a con in California in July, really wanted to have this playbook before I begin!

I'll be sure to ask more questions about it as I get closer and congrats on the Kickstarter doing well, Gnome!

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Day two of the Countdown: The Beast is here.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
The countdown has been continuing but I assume anyone here who is checking up on that is following the kickstarter to get those.

So instead of talking about that, let's talk about how the 2nd Edition is finally available in print.

If you've backed at the Complete Physical Fellowship tier, you'll want to hold off on buying that until the campaign ends so I can send you the at-cost print coupons for that.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
If I really think you're not gonna hit 22k then I'll buy the highest tier and let the forums design the custom playbook. If you do hit 22k I'm gonna bug you to let the forums do one anyway. :getin:

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
That sounds fine by me. If we hit 22k and all the playbook slots aren't filled when the campaign ends, I'll let this thread decide on what one of the unbought playbooks should be.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Looks like book 4 is happening, awesome. I love seeing more playbooks for this game, they're all super interesting

if the thread gets to suggest a playbook i'm just gonna put it out there that i'd love to see some goku type fightman guy, who can mark stats to push themselves kaioken style and not worry about the damage they're doing to themselves until afterwards. or maybe during whatever they're doing if they push too hard carelessly, they suffer the downsides right then and there. like being able to temporarily become a Threat To The World for a brief period of time with a crash afterwards

unless there's something that can do this and i missed it, which might be the case with all these new playbooks

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Congrats on hitting all your goals, Gnome! Somehow I missed that all backers will get to make a Threat- I'm super psyched for it, but are you really going to make 430 new threats for this book? Yikes!

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Hey gnome7, congrats on the kickstarter! Seeing as book 4 is happening after all, are you collecting submissions on Kickstarter or through some other means?

I also had a question about playing the Overlord, specifically with the Greater Threat secret motive. Does that work like a true form the Fellowship is expected to defeat there and then, or is it more like revealing a final dungeon where they have time to prepare before taking it on? Can the greater threat have different overlord stats or should it keep similar ones to the old overlord?

Finally, I was going to see if my group would like to play Fellowship, and was wondering if it would be ok if I posted my prospective Overlord and/or Set Piece for review?

Agent Rush fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 28, 2019

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Agent Rush posted:

Hey gnome7, congrats on the kickstarter! Seeing as book 4 is happening after all, are you collecting submissions on Kickstarter or through some other means?

I also had a question about playing the Overlord, specifically with the Greater Threat secret motive. Does that work like a true form the Fellowship is expected to defeat there and then, or is it more like revealing a final dungeon where they have time to prepare before taking it on? Can the greater threat have different overlord stats or should it keep similar ones to the old overlord?

Finally, I was going to see if my group would like to play Fellowship, and was wondering if it would be ok if I posted my prospective Overlord and/or Set Piece for review?

Any answer to those questions is valid, the greater threat can be any of those things.

And sure, post away.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Sea Lily posted:

Looks like book 4 is happening, awesome. I love seeing more playbooks for this game, they're all super interesting

if the thread gets to suggest a playbook i'm just gonna put it out there that i'd love to see some goku type fightman guy,

Beastman, monkey mix style.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Looking at The Rain book, I know it's more heavily based off of the character from the podcast, but it seems to overlap more than a bit with the Elemental and possibly the Harbinger. The moves don't seem to combine into the sort of concept I think of an entity that is more environment than individual.

Speaking of tings that are less than individual, a sheet for a character that's part of a hivemind (but not the entire hive like what would fall under the Elemental) would be interesting.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

So I'm a huge idiot and while I largely understand how non-combat encounters in Panic at the Dojo work, I have absolutely no idea how to implement them in a game. Like, how do they work? I ran a one shot a while back and the non-combat completely eluded me.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Non-combat denietly feels like a "technically we need a way to resolve things that aren't punching, but this is an action movie. If you lose a noncombat scenario, your reward is punching dudes. If you win, you get a story victory and then you punch dudes."

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Hey, I wrote up a couple of Overlords for an upcoming Fellowship game and would appreciate anyone looking them over to offer advice/ask questions, thanks:

Name:
Edena, Goddess of Desire

Look:
Shining Eyes
Elaborate Costumes
Shifting Beauty
Unnervingly Calming Voice

Agenda(Choice):
Watch The World Burn

Armies:
The Horde: The Glitterings(Glitterlings?), creatures made from various coins, gems, jewelry, and precious stones and metals to serve as Edena’s forces.

Stats:
Like the Wind: Edena cannot be touched against her will, but can touch the world and others as she chooses.
All That Glitters: Edena can always create as many Glitterings as she wants.
Wish Master: Edena can sense when wishes are made, and chooses to grant ones she can twist in ways she thinks are entertaining.

Weakness:
Shards from the bottle of Emerald Clay Edena had been imprisoned in.

Gear:
Weapons: Bare Hands, Magical Bolts, Destructive Lightning
Defenses: A Clever Plan, A Trick Up Your Sleeve

Secret Reason:
Tragic Backstory: Edena was once a benevolent spirit who used her powers to help others, but was often taken advantage of or blamed when things went poorly for the recipients of her gifts. She was sealed in a bottle of Emerald Clay, but was freed before the ritual to strip her powers could be completed. The experience led her to decide that if she was to be treated as a villain for giving people what they wanted, she would at least enjoy herself while doing so.

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Name:
Dendradas, Wrath of The Land

Look:
Hollow Eyes
Plant-like Armor
Vibrant Body
Constant Sprouting

Agenda(Choice):
World Is Mine

Armies:
The Scourge: Helheim, a ravenous and quickly spreading forest full of plants that are able to convert other creatures into more of themselves. The plants are many vibrant colors, and are able to produce enticing fruit to lure the unwary. It can be spread by seeds, spores, and fruits carried into new lands.

Stats:
Green Thumb: Dendradas is able to control plants, even ones that aren’t from Helheim.
Fruits Basket: Dendradas can grow new weapons from their body at a whim, letting them change weapon tags at will.
Endless Growth: Dendradas shrugs off most attacks, regenerating any damage taken instantaneously.

Weakness:
Halcyon Saranes, the only herbicide capable of harming Helheim plants.

Gear:
Weapons: An Elegant Sword(_______), A Massive Weapon, Bare Hands, Magical Bolts, Destructive Fire
Defenses: A Powerful Special Attack(Cornucopia Buster), A Trick Up Your Sleeve

Secret Reason:
No secret. One day Helheim appeared, Dendradas walked out from it, declared themselves the Wrath of the Land and set about the business of conquering the world.

For Edena I was thinking of the Wishmaster movies, while Dendradas came about from re-imagining the Scourge as plant-monsters.

EDIT: I made another Overlord, based around the greater threat. I figured Rula would act kind of like a Mid-boss, whereas Xenos would be the real final boss the fellowship has to take down.

||||||||||||||||||||||

Name:
Rula, Ultimate Adept

Look:
Wild Eyes
Bright Red Jacket & Yellow Scarf
Thin, but Muscular Body
A Smiling Mask

Agenda(Choice):
Ultimate Power

Armies:
The Organization: The Marauder Masks, a group of mercenaries Rula led prior to becoming the Ultimate Adept.

Stats:
Cross Counter: Anyone attempting to Overcome Rula’s attacks or Keep Her Busy takes damage in addition to any other prices paid.
Nobody Blink: Rula can move impossibly fast whenever she likes.
The Strongest: Rula is always strong enough to do anything she decides to do.

Weakness:
Home-made Dorian Sauce, the smell of it makes her homesick.

Gear:
Weapons: An Elegant Sword, A Massive Weapon, Bare Hands
Defenses: A Clever Plan, A Powerful Special Attack(World Cracker)

Secret Reason:
Greater Threat: Rula is possessed by the entity Xenos, Power Incarnate. When Rula is defeated in battle, Xenos will manifest fully.

Name:
Xenos, Power Incarnate

Look:
Empty Eyes
Amorphous Body
Vaguely Humanoid/Feminine Shape
Incredibly Serious Attitude

Agenda(Choice):
Ultimate Power

Armies:
The Organization: Xenos Offshoots, cast-off parts of Xenos that form into weaker but still dangerous entities.

Stats:
An Army of One: Xenos cannot be outnumbered or overpowered.
Perfect Counter: Xenos instantly develops countermeasures for any attack or obstacle she encounters.
Hyper Awareness: Nothing and no one can hide from Xenos’ attention.

Weakness:
Enochian Chants of Peace, the sound of them weakens Xenos greatly.

Gear:
Weapons: An Elegant Sword(_______), A Massive Weapon, Bare Hands, Magical Bolts, Destructive Fire
Defenses: A Powerful Special Attack(Enigma Force), A Traitor

Secret Reason:
N/A: Xenos, Power Incarnate is the Greater Threat behind Rula, Ultimate Adapt

Agent Rush fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 7, 2019

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Hey, I had a question for Gnome: Have there been any recent updates to the PDF of Fellowship 2E? I downloaded it a few weeks ago and want to be sure I have the most recent version of it.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
If you downloaded them after April 23rd, you currently have the most recent version of the files.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

gnome7 posted:

If you downloaded them after April 23rd, you currently have the most recent version of the files.

Thanks, I went and downloaded them all again to be sure.

Some friends and I are planning to start a game of Fellowship soon, does anyone have any advice on running the game or Overlord creation they'd like to share?

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Dont be shy about having the Overlord or their generals show up in person: generals especially are a lot more easier to dispatch than you might imagine. The Overlord showing up during the campaign and kicking the fellowships teeth in makes it that much more satisfying when they finally defeat him.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Also: have a rough outline about the Overlord and the world theyre screwing up before character creation, in my experience this helps the players get their creative juices flowing and tie their characters to both

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Thanks for the tips, HerraS! I'll do some world outlining tonight or tomorrow. I also posted some Overlords I'd written up in the thread earlier, am I on the right track for making/playing an interesting one? Are their stats too good/too weak or just boring?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I'd say all four of those overlords are extremely good. I especially like the genie, she rules.

Xenos would probably be too strong as a starting Overlord, especially his hyper-awareness, but as a second Overlord for after they've beaten the first one he's probably fine. If he shows up after someone's gotten a Destiny rolling, the players should be able to match his ridiculous power with their combined strength.

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2
Really enjoying playing with my friends over discord, in a world where the Overlord has bent the Harbringers to their will and has created a world where it's always stormy and rainy.

I love using the formatting to spice up the stat blocks of the enemy wizards a bit like I've done with these two who might show up together. The descriptions could use some work but the stats were really fun to think about how to use them in different ways:

It's great because I've created macros for all of the standard moves, and when a stat is damaged, you can just use spoiler tags to obfuscate it!

I appreciate 2nd Ed's extra rules around monster creation, it's really given me more unexpected agency and creativity as a GM.

Edit: Got my Hardcover copy of Fellowship today. It's great! Congrats again on the Kickstarter Gnome!

OfChristandMen fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 15, 2019

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Do you just pin those to the chat?

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

Apocron posted:

Do you just pin those to the chat?

Not generally, now that you mention it I could put the Overlord or knowledge items pinned to the chat, but if they're actually fighting an Enemy / General, the enemy changes so often, it's not worth pinning it. When a stat is damaged though, I'll just repost the block with spoiler tags around damaged stats when an update is needed.

It does make my notes somewhat messy, but I think it's worth it for the payoff in the chat.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Hey, I've listened to a bit of the Six Feats Under fellowship actual play, so I know this is more than plausible, but I have a player that wants to do sort of bending things as the Halfling- we were looking at the Exile and their stuff for that, what would be the best way to have a firebender/airbender/ect type as the Halfling?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Neopie posted:

Hey, I've listened to a bit of the Six Feats Under fellowship actual play, so I know this is more than plausible, but I have a player that wants to do sort of bending things as the Halfling- we were looking at the Exile and their stuff for that, what would be the best way to have a firebender/airbender/ect type as the Halfling?

Well the main thing about the playbooks is that while the details and culture are all up to the player, the playbook still has mechanical things it does or doesn't do well. The halfling is very good at being a dodgy, sneaky sort who plays tricks, so they're a pretty natural fit for an Airbender. You could grab moves like the spider's Pounce or the dragon's Wings of a Dragon to add flight or mobility to their moveset, and you'd be in a pretty good spot for making halflings as Air Nomads. Sting Like A Bee would let you do a lot of Aang's tricks without hurting anyone, which was a very big part of his combat style.

However, I don't think they'd fit very well as other kinds of benders. The halfling isn't a big damage-dealy type playbook. Part of why Joey gets away with halflings being so much more in the podcast is because, while all those OTHER halflings have crazy powers and abilities, the one she's playing as sticks directly to the Halfling playbook's strengths - small, sneaky, clever, brave. If you wanted Halfling culture to be Bending culture in general, I'd make your personal halfling probably an Airbender and leave the other bending types to other halflings, who you could maybe take as companions.

If I were to pick playbooks for the other bender types, out of all the ones available, they'd be:

Exile: Any of em, they pick an element as one of their things and the Crime of Witchcraft is explicitly bending.

Airbending: The Halfling, Elf, or the Angel. The Elf and Angel both have a cool mobility core move that lets them evade danger, and they both have weird magic powers to help them solve their problems. The Angel would be a very different take on Airbenders than Avatar's Air Nomads, though.

Earthbending: The Dwarf or the Spider. The Dwarf's Earth Friend move explicitly gives them Earthbending, and the Spider's Webspinning options let them do a lot of the things that Toph liked to do, including catching opponents running at her and tossing them away like they were nothing.

Firebending: The Lantern or the Dragon, depending on if you want to emphasize the strength of your magic (Lantern) or yourself (Dragon). Paradoxically, The Rain could also be a firebender, if you choose Fire for what your Rain is. That makes all your water burn to the touch, which is very easy to fluff as being a walking fire-person who throws fire everywhere.

Waterbending: The Rain. Maybe Heir or Elf? This one's tricky, not a lot of waterbending talents have made it into the playbooks as they are. You'd need to do some stretching here, but it should be doable.

Avatar: Harbinger or Angel for sure. No other playbook has quite the flexibility they do to just whip out anything at any time.

I might be forgetting some stuff but hopefully that helps.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
I ran the sample Stone Colossus set piece as a one shot of Fellowship today with my regular group and we're considering a full campaign.

If we pick up where we left off the Overlord is getting a Bond that reads: "Regina dropped a mecha on me."

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I really want to do an Overlord who is the CEO of some intergalactic megacorp who is invading the planet the Fellowship is from for its resources (think Haltmann, Handsome Jack, etc.) How would I build that? Or would I be better off waiting for Fellowship in Rebellion and using The Empire? I'm thinking of using World Is Mine and reskinning The Horde as various sci-fi military forces (robots, soldiers, etc.)

E2: Also, could players still use the extra playbooks from 1e not in 2e yet or would it be better to keep those off limits?

Mikedawson fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 26, 2019

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Someone posted the “corporation” earlier in this thread, it’s pretty awesome.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Mikedawson posted:

I really want to do an Overlord who is the CEO of some intergalactic megacorp who is invading the planet the Fellowship is from for its resources (think Haltmann, Handsome Jack, etc.) How would I build that? Or would I be better off waiting for Fellowship in Rebellion and using The Empire? I'm thinking of using World Is Mine and reskinning The Horde as various sci-fi military forces (robots, soldiers, etc.)

The Empire would do a pretty good job for a megacorp, but for like Handsome Jack specifically you could definitely do a corporate Overlord. Some stats worth looking at:

Rich - You can buy anyone and anything that can be bought
Philanthropist - The public thinks you're a force for good
Manipulative - You can convince any NPC to join you
Mastermind - You have traps installed everywhere around you at all times

quote:

E2: Also, could players still use the extra playbooks from 1e not in 2e yet or would it be better to keep those off limits?

The two editions are similar enough that you can use the old playbooks, but just know that updates are coming (and some of them are fairly major).

A few of the bigger changes: The Dragon has a new tag, Dragon-Made, which is given to items immune to elemental damage (fire, acid, lightning, ice, etc), and they have a new Core move that makes them Dragon-Made. The Spider's core move is being changed to work more like Sting Like A Bee - you get Webs by rolling 7+ on Look Closely or Get Away, instead of rolling a discreet move. The Remnant is losing their weird People's Move stat stuff and changing to just get a +1 to assign as they like. The Ogre is a Courage-based class and basically the big strong dumb opposite to the little weak sneaky Halfling.

The Constructed and the Pair are almost entirely unchanged, though. So if you're worried about changes mid-game, those are the playbooks to pick.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Just got my hardcover Fellowship 2nd Ed. If you're on the fence about whether to get the softcover or spend the extra for the HC, get the HC (I previously bought the paperback Fellowship 1ed).

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
I went in for the deluxe editions in the KS, does that mean I won't see any books until they're all done?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Agent Rush posted:

I went in for the deluxe editions in the KS, does that mean I won't see any books until they're all done?

That's correct. It's much cheaper on my end to ship them all together.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

gnome7 posted:

That's correct. It's much cheaper on my end to ship them all together.

Ok then. So if I pick up any books in the meantime for reference, they'll be softcover.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
I've got a question about the Overlord's weakness: If it changes because of a greater threat/Now Who Told You That?, does the new weakness become part of the player's gear automatically if they selected one of the options that gives it to them?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I would rule no, players should be powerful enough to quest for a new weakness. But maybe let them pick another piece of gear to replace it.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

How unbalancing do people find the Powerful playbooks in a group? My group is usually 2 players and me, so I'd worry that the distinction would be pretty obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Actually, how well does Fellowship work with 2 players/GM in general? Our planned game stalled because of timing issues and it looks like we might have to make do with that.

Golden Bee posted:

I would rule no, players should be powerful enough to quest for a new weakness. But maybe let them pick another piece of gear to replace it.

Thanks for the suggestion, that sounds like a good way to handle that situation. Would you go with another piece of gear in that section of their playbook or from any of them?