Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Flopsy posted:

Detective Pikachu reviews rolling in and looking really good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Detective pikachu is just as much design by committee as Sonic is, they both def had reps working with animators to make sure thier respective properties were how they wanted. The main difference to me is that the Pokemon reps gave a poo poo, and the Sega rep was high as gently caress and okayed whatever happened without looking.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Eh, sounds like most 'critics' are giving it the 'Kids movie not made by Pixar or Dreamworks? Probably poo poo no one cares about and if I say I like it I'll get made fun of' treatment.

Like, I'm guessing the movie isn't incomprehensible if you aren't already familiar with every Pokemon, it's not like people were confused by How To Train Your Dragon because they didn't know what a Night Fury was.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

"You've played Pokemon Go, right? Call this one Pokemon Don't Go. :smug:"

Christ, I don't care how bad the movie is, that prick deserves a punch in the face.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Detective pikachu is just as much design by committee as Sonic is, they both def had reps working with animators to make sure thier respective properties were how they wanted. The main difference to me is that the Pokemon reps gave a poo poo, and the Sega rep was high as gently caress and okayed whatever happened without looking.

It helps if you have somebody on that committee who is passionate about more realistic looking designs: https://kotaku.com/realistic-pokemon-artist-got-a-job-on-the-detective-p-1830396116

When you look at that Sonic trailer you have to wonder if anyone passionate about the character is even working on that movie. Not somebody with influence anyway.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Detective Pikachu is sitting on 40+% on Metacritic. It’s been a while since I saw a popular mainstream franchise score that low.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Eh, sounds like most 'critics' are giving it the 'Kids movie not made by Pixar or Dreamworks? Probably poo poo no one cares about and if I say I like it I'll get made fun of' treatment.

Like, I'm guessing the movie isn't incomprehensible if you aren't already familiar with every Pokemon, it's not like people were confused by How To Train Your Dragon because they didn't know what a Night Fury was.

Having played and loved the Detective Pikachu game, the game's story leaves a ton to be desired, as it explains very little about the major plot and reveals nothing about Detective Pikachu's connection to Mewtwo. If the movie does the same with its 2-hour runtime, I will not be surprised at its negative reaction.

I'm still gonna see the hell out of it, though!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I don't understand why DexNav randomly fails sometimes. I tried chaining Heracross to get a HA one and I couldn't get a chain higher than ~5 because it would just stop working, I would walk around a bit, and a different hidden Pokemon would appear and break the chain. Is there a cooldown on hidden Pokemon tiles or something? Should I just stay in one spot and spam search until it works? I know there needs to be a tile in range for it to spawn in but DexNav would fail in a spot that worked previously so that can't be the problem.

I did find a HA Heracross though. Mega Heracross looks absurd.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I was under the impression that as long as it's a hidden Mon it still counts for your chain. If someone could confirm or deny that'd be cool.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Vegetable posted:

Detective Pikachu is sitting on 40+% on Metacritic. It’s been a while since I saw a popular mainstream franchise score that low.

FWIW Rotten Tomatoes has it at 72% with 29 scores counted.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Just SMH at anyone that goes to see a franchise movie and expects it to be a "good movie"
It's about seeing cute and cool Pokemon.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'm gonna stand on my pokemon anime soapbox for a sec and talk about XY, kthx

It's incredible how much of a marked improvement it is to BW, but how it's still not quite there. Back when it started, I watched about three episodes after people kept telling me it's the best. And it kinda was, everything was way more vibrant, fights were crazy and pokemon had a ton more personality... but it was still pokemon with the same plots once you get into the rhythm of things. The twitch marathon is now on the last year of the XY anime and while waiting on another stream that never happened, I saw a few episodes of it. And yeah, people that are introduced into the stories are way more interesting, everything looks vibrant, stories take interesting turns... but it still misses the mark because those characters get seven minutes and then are gone forever, every episode starts with the Narrator going "Ash and his friends are on their way to something city, where Ash will fight for his last gym battle" and it sounded like the narrator was getting tired of that poo poo along with me, the look is great but it's still a weekly shonen just with good composting and colors so a ton of recycling or pretty frames with mouthflaps, the stories still devolve into "and then Team Rocket does a bad thing and the heroes battle them", and for three episodes in a row they have essentially the same battle: Jessie sends out the pumpkin and james the squid, there's a back and forth and then thunderbolt. In one of these episodes everything stops for about two minutes for TR to do a special intro that looks like it would've been a ton of fun in japanese, but the localization didn't bother coming up with a fun way to localize it and just had them go "oh yeahhhhhhhhhhhh" a bunch.
I tuned out while watching one of the Ash-Greninja episodes, they were trying to figure out what it was and all that, so it was mostly a battle episode and then TR got involved I think. Ash began a little subplot of being obsessed with power that felt pretty lame.

So many elements were coming together and almost worked. SM really is the natural next step to this show, XY's best features are held back by a need to make every episode involve pokemon battles and having the show revolve around a globetrotting journey with no apparent progress. Get rid of those two and it all finally became a good children's anime.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
While I disagree with the notion that a pokemon movie can't be good for adults, I do think most of us seeing it care way less about the plot then seeing the Pokemon in a realistic setting, and we already know it's gonna deliver on that

Or maybe that's just me idk

E:this is in response to nasgate, phone posting is hard okay

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm going to Pokemon Go to Detective Pikachu

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Nasgate posted:

Just SMH at anyone that goes to see a franchise movie and expects it to be a "good movie"
It's about seeing cute and cool Pokemon.

This but all anime.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

I'm usually not one to bash critics for not liking a thing that I like, but "Pokemon Don't Go to this Movie" is one of the lamest things I've ever heard

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

loving disgraceful, not knowing the difference between Bulbasaur and Squirtle in the year of our lord 2019.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
No one:

Me: i used to think johto was "johnto" (john-toe)

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Yeaahhh a lot of these guys sound like super smug cunts who don't give a poo poo about pokemon anyway. That's my two cents.

edit: The "tell a Squirtle from a Bulbasaur" guy is so loving insufferable I'm gonna see this thing if only to spite him

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 3, 2019

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I never had the illusion that the movie was going to be universally praised by movie critics who weren't fans of the franchise in the first place.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

RatHat posted:

I don't understand why DexNav randomly fails sometimes. I tried chaining Heracross to get a HA one and I couldn't get a chain higher than ~5 because it would just stop working, I would walk around a bit, and a different hidden Pokemon would appear and break the chain.

Chaining as in meeting the same thing repeatedly doesn't affect HA. Far as I know chaining just boosts the level of the encounter, which hardly matters. Chance to get HA is entirely by Search Level, which is simply how many times you've met the Pokémon. Once you get to 18 or 20 Search Level you'll see HAs. DexNav is really, really cool.

Others: where do you find out the IVs/EVs/natures of a trainer Pokémon? I got a real itch to know whether that Chandelure had anything going for it.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Zuzie posted:

I never had the illusion that the movie was going to be universally praised by movie critics who weren't fans of the franchise in the first place.

I mean, most of the previous 20 Pokémon movies are garbage so I'm not sure why being a fan of the franchise would automatically make this movie good.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Zuzie posted:

It's also possible the movie isn't that good.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
When you factor for "I dont understand this kid poo poo?!" , the consistent complaint is that the plot is predictable, which doesn't seem that damning. It's looking like it's not a bad movie, just without surprises if you're above 9 years old.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Those are looking like pre-Avengers superhero movie reviews, aka "we don't care about the source material and it's not a phenomenon so bleh".

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

https://kotaku.com/detective-pikachu-is-a-good-movie-1834466412/amp

Kotaku says it’s mostly good other than a couple small things.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The Pokemon Company made sure we didn't give any pokemon more than 4 moves when battling, and had to approve which ones were used, because they wanted to make sure kids could replicate them in the games.

Robot Style fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 3, 2019

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Robot Style posted:

The Pokemon Company made sure we didn't give any pokemon more than 4 moves when battling, and had to approve which ones were used, because they wanted to make sure kids could replicate them in the games.

You quoting this from somewhere or did you actually work on the movie?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

less laughter posted:

I mean, most of the previous 20 Pokémon movies are garbage so I'm not sure why being a fan of the franchise would automatically make this movie good.

Pokemon movie plot generator:

A human does something {stupid|evil} that {enrages|controls} a {Legendary|Legendary-ish} Pokemon, causing it to go on a rampage. The day is saved by {Ash|one of Ash's friends|a different Legendary-ish Pokemon}, who {makes a self-sacrificing grand gesture|performs a ritual|destroys the human antagonist's machine}.

OK, I haven't gotten to all the movies yet, but this is more or less the plot of the first 7 movies, plus Mewtwo Returns, and I can make educated guesses about how most of the remaining movies fit into this formula based on their titles alone.

Occasionally this plotline is executed well enough to actually work (e.g., Spell of the Unown), but usually it isn't.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Kurieg posted:

I worked on the movie (and a lot of us are now working on Sonic, as well).

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Robot Style posted:

You poor poor man.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Kurieg posted:

he's Ryan Reynolds

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Apparently Bill Nighy became a Pokemon fan working on Detective Pikachu so clearly the movie does it's job.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

A lot of movie critics also feel like it's in their interest to do down anything to do with video games. Older media looks down on newer media, that's how it goes.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Robot Style posted:

Sweet baby jesus I'm so sorry dude. It's bullshit that they're making you redesign Sonic this late in the game. All I heard when I saw that announcement was a bunch of unpaid overtime charging up.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 3, 2019

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

SuperKlaus posted:

Chaining as in meeting the same thing repeatedly doesn't affect HA. Far as I know chaining just boosts the level of the encounter, which hardly matters. Chance to get HA is entirely by Search Level, which is simply how many times you've met the Pokémon. Once you get to 18 or 20 Search Level you'll see HAs. DexNav is really, really cool.

Yeah I wasn't sure if it affected HA chance or not but either way chaining is the fastest way to increase Search Level.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

While I disagree with the notion that a pokemon movie can't be good for adults, I do think most of us seeing it care way less about the plot then seeing the Pokemon in a realistic setting, and we already know it's gonna deliver on that

cosign.

does anyone know what the budget for the movie was? I can't seem to find it in the top google search result so I stopped looking

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Robot Style posted:

That's actually really cool, and a good idea on their part.

Robot Style posted:

The animation in Detective Pikachu looks amazing, good job.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Robot Style posted:

Are you allowed to say if you knew the redesign would happen before the tweet got posted?

Silver2195 posted:

Pokemon movie plot generator:

A human does something {stupid|evil} that {enrages|controls} a {Legendary|Legendary-ish} Pokemon, causing it to go on a rampage. The day is saved by {Ash|one of Ash's friends|a different Legendary-ish Pokemon}, who {makes a self-sacrificing grand gesture|performs a ritual|destroys the human antagonist's machine}.

OK, I haven't gotten to all the movies yet, but this is more or less the plot of the first 7 movies, plus Mewtwo Returns, and I can make educated guesses about how most of the remaining movies fit into this formula based on their titles alone.

Occasionally this plotline is executed well enough to actually work (e.g., Spell of the Unown), but usually it isn't.

You pretty much got it nailed to a T. They started sorta mixing it up this generation, with Movie 20 sorta recreating the Kanto journey (sorta, not really, it's the same plot as ever but there are a few highlight scenes from the first season sprinkled in). Movie 21 is actually good because it just has the first part of a legendary being pissed off because humans, but the story ends up not involving it and is mostly about a community of people learning to work together and it's just really great. Movie 22 is a remake of the first one, so back to square one. :T

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Robot Style posted:

Legit sorry the reception for Sonic was so bad, but hey I personally am pretty happy with the work on detective pikachu. Absolutely hilarious they made you keep to the 4 moves paradigm but it makes some sense I guess