Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

im still not able to be in servers for more than a map, on map change it just kicks me out with a server full warning

also im still not sure what the icons in the server browser mean, cheat protection and official? does it matter for unlocking stuff?

Davincie fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psikotik
Dec 17, 2002

Random more like ranDUMB
College Slice
Tried practicing some of the combat tips in that link from the OP and boy howdy, just seems like it's easier to flail wildy with wide swings cause parrying/blocking wasn't doing me any favors.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

PSA: You can invert the directions of the X/Y aiming so that your weapon ends on the direction you selected rather than starting there. It makes chambering easier since you just have to look at their weapon to get the right angle.

Psikotik posted:

Tried practicing some of the combat tips in that link from the OP and boy howdy, just seems like it's easier to flail wildy with wide swings cause parrying/blocking wasn't doing me any favors.

Yes, in a sense. The way that the stamina system works puts a heavy emphasis on offense, but at the same time wildly swinging in a repeated pattern is a good way to get countered to poo poo. You want to maintain the initiative but not overextend so far that you end up in a disadvantaged position. IMO footwork and positioning is more important to the game than any special attack like riposting

Aggressive is good, predictable is not. Mix up your attacks and angles for victory. Or just put on light armor and a short spear and stab people in the back.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Glenn Quebec posted:

The alpha nerds wearing light armor and zweihanding

Light armor zweihander guy in a hood is the first premade class on the list. I'm pretty sure these are just newbs not pro tier alpha nerds following some trend.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Light armor zweihander guy in a hood is the first premade class on the list. I'm pretty sure these are just newbs not pro tier alpha nerds following some trend.

:eyepop: hahaha I've never used anything premade I had no idea. I was like these idiots and their hoods.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
the only important thing is how cool you look
before you 💀

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The first cosmetic I bought was a pair of gloves because watching my dude hold the blade of his longsword with his bare hands was worrying.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

I've seen a lot of people running around with no shirt but they also don't appear to be running the peasant perk, since they have axes or zweihanders, so they aren't forced to have no armor.

Protip: this is a profoundly bad idea. You will get one shot by a lot of things. Even the light armor helps a ton.

Also, the cleaver owns. It is super fast and does respectable damage. The range is an issue but most people aren't great at keeping you at a distance.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I've seen a lot of people running around with no shirt but they also don't appear to be running the peasant perk, since they have axes or zweihanders, so they aren't forced to have no armor.

Protip: this is a profoundly bad idea. You will get one shot by a lot of things. Even the light armor helps a ton.

Also, the cleaver owns. It is super fast and does respectable damage. The range is an issue but most people aren't great at keeping you at a distance.

Gonna unlock a bow or xbow to specifically hunt these kind of people

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I know cavalry gets a boost to damage based on momentum, but it feels like it's one way only. That is, a footman's attack against a guy on horseback doesn't seem to benefit from the horse's momentum. I've had quite a few occasions where I've speared or thrown an axe in the face of a cavalryman galloping towards me and he just keeps on going.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

No shirt plus full helmet is high fashion. Shame it's so weak in this game.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Gobblecoque posted:

I know cavalry gets a boost to damage based on momentum, but it feels like it's one way only. That is, a footman's attack against a guy on horseback doesn't seem to benefit from the horse's momentum. I've had quite a few occasions where I've speared or thrown an axe in the face of a cavalryman galloping towards me and he just keeps on going.

hitting the rider with any polearm is supposed to dehorse them on the spot, so you probably hit the horse

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Gamerofthegame posted:

hitting the rider with any polearm is supposed to dehorse them on the spot, so you probably hit the horse

Oh poo poo I've been aiming for the horses. I blame mount and blade.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
oh no horses have a mountain of health, that just don't regen ever

Orv
May 4, 2011
Horses are literal vehicles like you'd find in Squad or something. Health, persistent, respawn eventually. It's pretty funny honestly.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Do bear traps work on horses?

Edit: devoid of context, this question makes me look horrible.

Mr.Unique-Name fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 3, 2019

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Gamerofthegame posted:

It's the billhook specifically that pulls them off. Polearms in general are good though because of their reach.

The other nice solution to horse problems is grabbing a toolbox and building a wall of spikes in a chokepoint somewhere. Running into them at horse speed means instant horse death.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

No it's definitely the rider I've been hitting. You can tell whether you're hitting the rider or horse because if it's the horse it'll say something like "+x vehicle damage."

The other annoying thing with horses is that you can use pretty much any weapon while riding them without any issue, even stuff like zweihanders, halberds, etc.

Gobblecoque fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 2, 2019

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
If you liked chivalry you will like this game, it is really good!

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Looks like the chronic lag issues are about to be addressed: https://www.reddit.com/r/Mordhau/comments/bk2tp7/official_server_improvements_being_rolled_out/

dogsupremacy
Dec 3, 2012
is there a goon server

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Literal slowest weapon in the game at "Half the zweihander's speed". Only the length the shortsword I keep as a backup that probably has as much if not more kills.

But oh man, the feeling of splattering someone's head like a tin grapefruit makes the Maul worth it :allears: Figures I first got the Highlander cheevo with a blunt object.

Hitstop is a bit of a buzzkill though. Because despite it's glacial speeds and short length, people still somehow manage to wedge themselves in front of my overhands at the last second.

That's the big thing I'm jealous people just swinging boat paddles of death. Not the reach. Not the speed greater than glacial formation. The fact they get to windmill through their teammates and still kill something in the process.

Babe Magnet posted:

spend it on friendly so you only take 60% of your total match damage from your own teammates instead of 70%
Because I am a huge softy, I take friendly so I've only ended up obliterating two whole people who don't take warnings "This thing has 100/100/100/100 headshot damage" seriously and make it their life mission to test that claim.

I got the points to spare if I wanna move faster with the worlds slowest and shortest weapon. While legs seem to have near zero impact on your speed, a rank 2/3 helmet all by itself slows you down more than an al 1/1/1 outfit.

Perestroika posted:

I'm starting to really like the humble warhammer as a backup weapon. It's cheap as hell at just 2 points, but it's still capable of killing even max-armoured tin cans in just three hits (two if you hit the head). It's reasonably quick to swing and even has an alternate mode that offers a decent damage boost against people with light/no armour. Only downside is its short range, though usually when I'm using a class with several weapons I'm at medium/fast speed anyway.
I noticed the Warhammer alt mode stats against torso and legs is not worth it unless they are wearing a cloth T-shirts and shorts, because even flimsy rank 1 leather pants and vests cause a significant damage loss.

But headshots have crazy boosted damage across the board for the pointy end, according to the stat screen anyways. Heavy armor torso drops from 35 to 20. Heavy armor headshots raises from 50 to 70. And, against the rare "Not even a cloth hood or hat" fellow, claims to be 100 headshot damage :gibs:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 3, 2019

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Can you riposte with any of the shields if you block just as the attack hits? What about the smaller ones? Or are ripostes only for parrying with weapons?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The smaller shields just add to your parry window I think, so definitely with them.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Diogines posted:

Can you riposte with any of the shields if you block just as the attack hits? What about the smaller ones? Or are ripostes only for parrying with weapons?

You can riposte off of any block, including with shields.
Well i'm not sure about the pavise. I think rather than holding that one to block you have to physically set it down on the ground? The intended medieval purpose being cover from archer fire while you plink at things with crossbows.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You can riposte off of any block, including with shields.
Well i'm not sure about the pavise. I think rather than holding that one to block you have to physically set it down on the ground? The intended medieval purpose being cover from archer fire while you plink at things with crossbows.

Yeah, the pavise is basically a deployable that you set down and huddle behind. Though I think it still blocks ranged attacks even when you're just holding it in your hands.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Pulcinella di Bund posted:

hitting somebody with a flying falchion right in the face before they can hit you with their stupid pole arm or giant sword and getting the kill for yourself instead is very satisfying and pretty funny when you retrieve it out of their dead body

I'm stealing this move and calling it the Falchion Punch

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

I ran at a dude as he threw axes at me, parrying every one with my bill hook and feeling like a total badass.

Then he brutally destroyed me with his arming sword and I was unable to land a hit. I did not feel like a badass.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Of all the weapons, the one that gives me the most trouble to parry is the Executioner Sword. It has such an awkward swing timing.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Stokes posted:

Of all the weapons, the one that gives me the most trouble to parry is the Executioner Sword. It has such an awkward swing timing.

Same here. For all the zweihander vs new players talk every time I have seen some shirtless guy murdering everyone it has been the executioners sword and they always get me because I parry too early. I try to seek those guys out and plant throwing axes in their back while they fight someone else whenever I can.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Counterpoint: It is amusing and therefore the best idea.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I really enjoy people's stupid poo poo builds that get arched immediately. I mean this sincerely.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Dagger+firebomb+firebomb is actually 4 throwables if I ever make it to an ammo chest

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

No armor and short spear only has been my default build

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I've been trying out different weapons, but my attire of kettle helmet and rags will go unchanged.

Well, I did create a couple more armoured dudes to change things up once in a while, but honestly I get loving rekt with them all the same, so :shrug:

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Being shirtless will cause a lot of players to fight irrationally against you, recklessly rushing you for what they think will be an easy kill. If you’re good enough you can pull it off but for most players I’d recommend at least light armor.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

VulgarandStupid posted:

Being shirtless will cause a lot of players to fight irrationally against you, recklessly rushing you for what they think will be an easy kill. If you’re good enough you can pull it off but for most players I’d recommend at least light armor.

Maybe. But being shirtless and using a zweihander or estoc or battle axe, which a lot of people seem to do, will get you turned into a red mist by an archer you're trying to jump because of how fast the cleaver is and your lack of protection. That's assuming you make it to the archer.

I'm really starting to feel like the cleaver's broken. Maybe it's just because people aren't good at fighting against fast weapons yet or what, but its damage against armor isn't horrible and you can just go nuts on somebody and they can't do much if they can't properly chamber one of your attacks, which is really hard to do against something that swings that fast. I added it to my short spear loadout instead of one the perks (I think the jumping stamina reduction one) and now my short spear is basically just a javelin I use on approaching.

It's probably just people being bad but the number of times I've had somebody with a zweihander parry a cleaver attack then start a swing only to discover it's actually still my turn and get shredded is impressive.

Edit: What does the "Feint or Parry" hotkey that isn't bound by default do? I'm guessing it cancels attacks into feint if you hit it while swinging, or just parries if you aren't swinging. That's kind of tempting to use ( especially since I ALWAYS try to right click to cancel attacks) but there's times when you want to take an attack into a parry, not just feint.

Mr.Unique-Name fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 3, 2019

psyman
Nov 1, 2008

Babe Magnet posted:

the thing in chivalry where you equip a zweihander, and turn around the exact moment your overhead attack begins so you hit them at full strength instantly with the startup

Also know as the thing, alongside helicoptering, that completely ruined Chivalry combat lol

It sounds like a solution could be to put a cap on aiming sensitivity?

In practically every multiplayer game I’ve played, the pros all use high sensitivity and can whip around in an instant, which is really common in FPS. I don’t think it’s fair to people like me who prefer low sens for more natural motion, and I think it would be uncomfortable for a low sens player to be forced to play at high sens.

I don’t understand why most games even support super fast aiming speed, it just seems to be exploited every time.

psyman fucked around with this message at 16:48 on May 3, 2019

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

psyman posted:

It sounds like a solution could be to put a cap on aiming sensitivity?

In practically every multiplayer game I’ve played, the pros all use high sensitivity and can whip around in an instant, which is really common in FPS. I don’t think it’s fair to people who use low sens and I think it would be more uncomfortable for a low sens player to be forced to play at high sens.

I don’t understand why most games even support super fast aiming speed, it just seems to be exploited every time.

From my understanding of the Counterstrike days, the pros actually used hilariously low sensitivity because it helps massively with the sort of precise aim that was required. Then they also played on enormous mousepads so if they needed to turn around quickly they could do so by throwing their whole arm across the table. Different games have different priorities though - high sensitivity makes it easier to turn around quickly but interferes with fine precision, while low sensitivity has the opposite set of tradeoffs.

If you're suggesting a blanket limitation on mouse sensitivity / turning speed, that would absolutely ruin a game not designed around it from the ground up and generally make it feel like poo poo just to walk around. Like, good good, just imagine trying to play a first person game that didn't let you glance around corners and poo poo while you were walking by. I didn't play Chiv and haven't played Mordhau yet, but it sounds like there are already less drastic solutions to those problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Edit: What does the "Feint or Parry" hotkey that isn't bound by default do? I'm guessing it cancels attacks into feint if you hit it while swinging, or just parries if you aren't swinging. That's kind of tempting to use ( especially since I ALWAYS try to right click to cancel attacks) but there's times when you want to take an attack into a parry, not just feint.

I STRONGLY recommend that you rebind your right click to feint or parry. I infact recommend that everyone do this.