Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Sonic will be the most faithful adaption of the videogame medium in that it will have massive crunch and post-launch patches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

100% :agreed:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

haha Danny McBride miming the jerk off and release motion and Adam Levine pretending to eat it up was even funnier when it's revealed he's playing his son.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Giving angry fans on the internet power over your movie is a great precedent, thanks Sonic movie!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I mean, didn't Alita go through the same thing when the internet reacted negatively to the big eyes?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

ruddiger posted:

I mean, didn't Alita go through the same thing when the internet reacted negatively to the big eyes?

They made them even bigger.

Not really, the VFX just needed more work done on them and the folks at Weta Digital knocked it out of the park on release.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I think they should make at least ten different version of the Sonic movie, each identical except that Sonic is in a different art style. They should then be randomly distributed to theaters.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

feedmyleg posted:

Giving angry fans on the internet power over your movie is a great precedent, thanks Sonic movie!

We’ll have CYOA movies where you can pick the actor you want for the roles you like in the future hellworld that awaits us.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

They're just going to give Sonic sunglasses.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ruddiger posted:

Basically, yeah. If you compare the first trailer to the final one (or the finished movie), the eyes look a lot less tarsier-esque in the latter.

This kind of edit basically just amounts to "pull a few vertices around on the model until it looks right, redo the material work to match."

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Re: Infranaut's video

I actually think the Pokemon being slightly horror-ish helps sell the setting. Given that they're magical, sentient, fighting creatures which are apparently okay being enslaved for blood sport, it totally makes sense they'd look... wrong.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

JazzFlight posted:

I'm sorry, what? Are they going to go back and re-render out all the scenes with Sonic in them with a new model? Is that a thing?

It's likely that not much more than the trailer's shots had completed effects at this stage, so it shouldn't be the hugest problem.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Gnome de plume posted:

Sonic will be the most faithful adaption of the videogame medium in that it will have massive crunch and post-launch patches

People will be sitting down in theaters watching a slowly filling load bar as the theater downloads the 23GB launch day patch

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
After the cinematic universe era, get ready for the cinematic DLC wasteland. :10bux: more to see the version where Jim Carrey does your favorite youtube poop memes.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
I think it'll be fine.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

davidspackage posted:

People will be sitting down in theaters watching a slowly filling load bar as the theater downloads the 23GB launch day patch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUFe5LpffHs

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Thank you for this.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's likely that not much more than the trailer's shots had completed effects at this stage, so it shouldn't be the hugest problem.

No it's a pretty huge deal. The post was likely very deep into production. These pipelines are huge and involve tons of people. Making changes like this has a gigantic impact.

Also, most trailer shots are final or near final VFX. They generally pay to expedite shots specifically for this reason. Doesn't mean sometimes things can't change but I hate always hearing "it's the trailer the shots aren't final" because that is actually rarely the case.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Speaking of Sonic:

https://twitter.com/fowltown/status/1124056098925944832?s=21

Can’t wait to see how they gently caress this up.

Two principle questions here; where is the money coming from and how will this impact release date?

It's not impossible, but I find it hard to believe that Paramount/Sega just decided to cough up another $10 million (or whatever) on this film. Honestly, the vocal people on the internet complaining about this film are not going to really impact the little kids who want to see the Funny Cartoon Animal, so I don't see them actually taking complaints too seriously. They're willing to spend Jim Carrey money, though, so who knows?

I would expect something small like they widen the eyes and move them closer together rather than completely overhaul the look of the body or anything drastic.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Oh, you're Infranaut? gently caress!

Are you the guy who keeps asking me to play rocket league

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

They’re going to deepfake the real sonichu over the movie one. Easier, cheaper, good enough results.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Calico Heart posted:

Are you the guy who keeps asking me to play rocket league

I would never ask anyone to play a game online with me.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Calico Heart posted:

I find it hard to believe that Paramount/Sega just decided to cough up another $10 million (or whatever) on this film.

If $10M is the difference between "Hard pass" and "morbid curiosity," I'd think they'd make that deal all day long. :shrug:

And last I'd heard, Carrey's price had plummeted. Still probably a more expensive alternative to other potentials, but still.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

BonoMan posted:

t I hate always hearing "it's the trailer the shots aren't final" because that is actually rarely the case.

I'm saying the trailer probably has most of the film's only finalized (at the time) effects, so altering now isn't gonna be as huge a problem than if they finished the thing and had to go back after it tested poorly.
The person I was quoting was talking about re-rendering all of the scenes in the movie as if they'd've been done.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 3, 2019

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm saying the trailer probably has most of the film's only finalized (at the time) effects, so altering now isn't gonna be as huge a problem than if they finished the thing and had to go back after it tested poorly.

Gotcha. Although, as someone that works in the field, I disagree... it's still a huge huge effort because even the shots that aren't finalized are way deep into the pipeline and starting over is gonna be tough. I imagine, to try to minimize changing other assets, they'll try to keep hand, feet, and eyes all at the exact same level to not affect peripheral objects that rely on those placements.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
They're just gonna have to tighten up the graphics on scene three. It won't be a problem at all.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

In crazy-conspiracy-land, I could imagine the movie makers leaking the early poster/design doc/bad trailer to create intentional bad PR so that when they reveal the real movie they've been working on, everyone loves it in comparison.

Kinda like the conspiracy behind the New Coke -> Coke Classic relaunch.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

JazzFlight posted:

In crazy-conspiracy-land, I could imagine the movie makers leaking the early poster/design doc/bad trailer to create intentional bad PR so that when they reveal the real movie they've been working on, everyone loves it in comparison.

That was my first thought too. Not saying it was an intentional conspiracy, but they can only go up from here. Also the end of the trailer has a completely different, much more Robotnik-esque look for Jim with giant mushrooms in the background so I wondered if this was the human-world version of Sonic and he would look more normal when he teleported back to his world, but they were saving that for trailer 2.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Friend posted:

That was my first thought too. Not saying it was an intentional conspiracy, but they can only go up from here. Also the end of the trailer has a completely different, much more Robotnik-esque look for Jim with giant mushrooms in the background so I wondered if this was the human-world version of Sonic and he would look more normal when he teleported back to his world, but they were saving that for trailer 2.

What a twist. The end is in the Mushroom Kingdom. To open up the SSBCU. Super Smash Bros. Cinematic Universe.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 3, 2019

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

JazzFlight posted:

I was kinda thinking along these lines in the sense they seem to have fans fixated on a character design rather than the fact the movie looks like reheated garbage (tho to be fair, it's a loving sonic the hedgehog movie). So maybe now they can "fix" Sonic and act like that was the main problem all along.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Reminder that this was the studio that "fixed" Monster Trucks.

JazzFlight posted:

I'm sorry, what? Are they going to go back and re-render out all the scenes with Sonic in them with a new model? Is that a thing?

Yes. Heard it from someone working on post production today. It's happening.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 3, 2019

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
Just re-cast Sonic with Christopher Plummer and call it a day.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

kiimo posted:

Same VFX studio too.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

kiimo posted:

Yes. Heard it from someone working on post production today. It's happening.

Oh my GOD it just hit me the same people have had to do this again hahaha

Although I doubt this will delay the film by over a year, cost anywhere near as much and at least its for a known IP

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Just get Ben Schwartz in a blue hedgehog costume against green screen

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

whydirt posted:

Just get Ben Schwartz in a blue hedgehog costume against green screen

Make sure it's an assless costume, too

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's supposed to be a new Spider-Man trailer hitting Monday with a preroll video attached warning that the trailer will have Endgame spoilers.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

muscles like this! posted:

There's supposed to be a new Spider-Man trailer hitting Monday with a preroll video attached warning that the trailer will have Endgame spoilers.

Spoiler Spider Man lived.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

And the director of Sonic has only one credit

An animated short called Gopher Broke

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He animated on Where The Wild Things Are. I'd give him a movie for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Peanut President posted:

Spoiler Spider Man lived.

We'll find out that the Spider-Man: Far From Home Peter Parker is actually Ben Reilly