Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Booster Gold #1 (1986)

Bat-Thing #1 (1997)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

I really loving hate that "I don't believe in you" line. Tony has met Odin and lives in a world where magic is real, gods hang out in his living room, supernatural embodiments of concepts regularly appear, and all of this is testable and repeatable. As a "scientist" he should 100% believe in gods in that kind of world. But the writer just goes "scientist = atheist" without understanding either concept.

quote:

"I don’t hold with paddlin’ with the occult," said Granny firmly. "Once you start paddlin’ with the occult you start believing in spirits, and when you start believing in spirits you start believing in demons, and then before you know where you are you’re believing in gods. And then you’re in trouble."

"But all them things exist," said Nanny Ogg.

"That’s no call to go around believing in them. It only encourages ‘em."

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Coincidentally I was thinking about the golem in another of Pratchett's books who states that he doesn't believe gods exist, right afterwards he's struck by a lightning bolt which he shrugs off with, "That's Not Much Of An Argument."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Tony has repeatedly told Dr. Strange that he doesn't believe magic is a thing, it's just a clumsy unscientific way to channel existing scientific elements that we've yet to completely understand. That's perfectly consistent with how he views the world and the character's strengths and flaws.

Sometimes superhero skepticism is loving dumb, like in the 90s when Blade teamed up with Spider-man and Spidey was like "vampires aren't real, you crazy man" even though he's definitely seen enough to know they're real, including that time he fought Dracula. But I don't think Iron Man's interactions with Odin are on that level.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

"Vampires aren't real Blade, everyone knows that. Now come help me beat up my long time foe, Morbius!"

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Infinitum posted:

"Vampires aren't real Blade, everyone knows that. Now come help me beat up my long time foe, Morbius!"

It's no vampires, they're allowed to have one!

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Morbius is the result of a scientific treatment gone wrong, giving him superhuman abilities, aversion to light and the need for blood to survive, though.

Completely different to vampires.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

And Vampirella's just from a planet where there's just blood instead of water. What.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Tony has repeatedly told Dr. Strange that he doesn't believe magic is a thing, it's just a clumsy unscientific way to channel existing scientific elements that we've yet to completely understand. That's perfectly consistent with how he views the world and the character's strengths and flaws.

The problem is that's circular. "Magic doesn't exist. I just arbitrarily define it as something different and therefore it doesn't count even though magic is clearly performed in front of me every day." It requires defining magic as something in opposition of science, a common trope in lovely fantasy, as opposed to being just another part of the universe. If "magic" is saying the same words and performing the same gestures and getting the same results, then it's also science. It's the writer making distinctions that don't textually exist for the sake of making a point that doesn't make any sense in the context of the story, and typically it comes from the writer not understanding what science is.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

The problem is that's circular. "Magic doesn't exist. I just arbitrarily define it as something different and therefore it doesn't count."

Does that not sound like the kind of annoying poo poo Tony would pull to make himself sound smart for not changing his worldview?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Does that not sound like the kind of annoying poo poo Tony would pull to make himself sound smart for not changing his worldview?

Actually, yeah. I forgot Tony is the worst human being in the Marvel universe and that does put things into context.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Random Stranger posted:

Actually, yeah. I forgot Tony is the worst human being in the Marvel universe and that does put things into context.

Second worst. Beast is number one

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

He said "human".

:friendsofhumanity:

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Random Stranger posted:

The problem is that's circular. "Magic doesn't exist. I just arbitrarily define it as something different and therefore it doesn't count even though magic is clearly performed in front of me every day." It requires defining magic as something in opposition of science, a common trope in lovely fantasy, as opposed to being just another part of the universe. If "magic" is saying the same words and performing the same gestures and getting the same results, then it's also science. It's the writer making distinctions that don't textually exist for the sake of making a point that doesn't make any sense in the context of the story, and typically it comes from the writer not understanding what science is.

Ehhh, I can see it. I genuinely don't know the details of how a car engine works, but even in a universe with actual wizards I'm not likely to accept "it's magic" as an answer. Tony might not know why a particular set of runes, glyphs, hand motions and syllables cause a rift to tear open between dimensions, but he's also not likely to accept "it is the will of the vashanti" as an answer either; he's holding out for the right to say "Dr. Strange's gibberish and specific finger waggles manage to exploit X loophole in the physical anomalies caused by Y phenomena." ...And once he can, he gets to tell everyone to gently caress off when they call it magic. Consistency doesn't play into it--the sun rises every day, right on schedule, but we've (mostly) stopped calling that a miracle or attributing it to the will of Ra or whatever.

Then again, we do still say "the sun rises" even though we know it's not literally rising anymore, and natural disasters are still called "acts of god" in insurance and liability parlance, so gently caress me I don't know maybe Tony is just a dick

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
Actually the sun rising every day IS a miracle you cynical bastard

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

theflyingorc posted:

Actually the sun rising every day IS a miracle you cynical bastard

music is all magic
you can't even hold it

edit: it's just there in the air

double edit: I should have just posted this

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 06:23 on May 3, 2019

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Gnome de plume posted:

Morbius is the result of a scientific treatment gone wrong, giving him superhuman abilities, aversion to light and the need for blood to survive, though.

Completely different to vampires.

He doesn't even need blood, just this "plasma" thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBN1uDbVN1Y

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Mierenneuker posted:

Noone told me Morbius was a Jehovas Witness!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Went looking up the old Deadpool issue where he impersonates Tony Stark and goes on a bender in an Ironman suit.

The whole issue is delightful :allears:

(Deadpool 2013 - #7)

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Mierenneuker posted:

Morbius crawling home to his bedroom just covered in pictures of Havoc from his X-force days.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Infinitum posted:

Went looking up the old Deadpool issue where he impersonates Tony Stark and goes on a bender in an Ironman suit.

Doesn't someone around here have that terrifying last-panel Jonah as an av? Or am I thinking of a different equally-terrifying Jonah?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Great job, colorist.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures #3 (1988)

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Phy posted:

Doesn't someone around here have that terrifying last-panel Jonah as an av? Or am I thinking of a different equally-terrifying Jonah?

A bunch of people did for a while, myself included

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
It's the second-best Jonah someone can have as an avatar.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

hup posted:

A bunch of people did for a while, myself included

Was that before or after a bunch of us had the Spidey Hard Hat avatar? I think that's still kicking around on a goon or two.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Elfface posted:

It's the second-best Jonah someone can have as an avatar.

As a guy with the 3rd best, you would know right?

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Lobok posted:

Was that before or after a bunch of us had the Spidey Hard Hat avatar? I think that's still kicking around on a goon or two.

I think that was about the one time I contributed something to the forums.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/saladinahmed/status/1124678013877141504?s=19

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Then again, we do still say "the sun rises" even though we know it's not literally rising anymore, and natural disasters are still called "acts of god" in insurance and liability parlance, so gently caress me I don't know maybe Tony is just a dick
Again, Terry Pratchett has got you covered.

quote:

WHAT WOULD HAVE HAPPENED IF YOU HADN'T SAVED HIM?
"Yes! The sun would have risen just the same, yes?"
NO
"Oh, come on. You can't expect me to believe that. It's an astronomical fact."
THE SUN WOULD NOT HAVE RISEN.
"Really? Then what would have happened, pray?"
A MERE BALL OF FLAMING GAS WOULD HAVE ILLUMINATED THE WORLD.

The rest of this conversation is even better and high on my list of all time favorite Terry Pratchett passages but doesn't directly apply to the discussion.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Terminator® / Robocop™: Kill Human #1 (2011)

Terminator® / Robocop™: Kill Human #3 (2011)

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

/banging fists on table

KIRBY! FACES!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I like that the device is shooting waves of solid white. It looks weird and good.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its a whipped cream dispenser

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Its a whipped cream dispenser

Or Shaving Cream, the one thing that could stop a norseman, removing their beards.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
It's shooting Ink Remover, erasing characters for good

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Samuringa posted:

It's shooting Ink Remover, erasing characters for good

??

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

NoneMoreNegative posted:

/banging fists on table

KIRBY! FACES!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
What's the greatest Kirby mouth of all?

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

What's the greatest Kirby mouth of all?

I was gonna do a joke post, but ended up spending about 30 minutes looking at Kirby double page spreads. In any case, here are my nominations for best Kirby mouth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I always liked how Kirby drew the Thing's mouth.