Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tired Moritz posted:

Also playing Spirit for the first time and this new prosecutor sucks rear end.

i like sadhmadhi about as much as i like apollo

hopeandjoy posted:

But then you get backstory dump and don’t you feel bad for him now.

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I always felt Kristoph was the worst written bad guy of the series because he really doesn't have a motivation to do what he did other than getting slighted just once.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

SardonicTyrant posted:

I always felt Kristoph was the worst written bad guy of the series because he really doesn't have a motivation to do what he did other than getting slighted just once.

I mean that was basically Manfred's entire motivation as well.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I loved Nahyuta as a prosecutor because he was objectively a horrible person and it felt good to make him eat poo poo

SardonicTyrant posted:

that's an extremely realistic motivation for any person with a law degree imo

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Honestly, after all the "tragic past" sort of villains turned good, I did sort of like how Kristoph's deal was that he was just extremely petty.

Hell, might be one of the most realistic motivations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

SardonicTyrant posted:

Sociopathy is a hell of an illness

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SardonicTyrant posted:

I liked him because he is just an opaque gently caress to the point where even his Psyche-Locks match up with it.

Dude got turned down for his lifetime chance at fame and riches, used the fake evidence he was going to bring to trial to ruin many lives, including his own, and spent the rest of his life going mad with fear as poo poo snowballed wildly.

Gavin is actually one of my favorite villains because of how impenetrably miserable and sinister he is, and his theme reeeeeally pairs well with it,

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

What if a lawyer was a Cthulhu

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Better hope he doesn’t have a case involving a boat.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

U-DO Burger posted:

I loved Nahyuta as a prosecutor because he was objectively a horrible person and it felt good to make him eat poo poo

That would feel better if he acknowledged that I just made him eat poo poo.

As opposed to continuing from trial to trial telling everyone they’re going to Hell just the same as his first appearance.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Funky Valentine posted:

Japan in the real world continues to use the death penalty and only does it by hanging.
I probably knew that at some point but that is also, surprising!

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
drat, holy, I knew they had the death penalty but I didnt know it was hanging.

DGS never hides the politically commentary, but when I think about it, AA was always loaded. But since the western release changes the country it's set on, you sometimes forget how much of a scathing commentary the OG series was, too.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Meallan posted:

drat, holy, I knew they had the death penalty but I didnt know it was hanging.

yeah, dahlia mentions it at one point

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Oh yeah, I knew it was like that in AA, just didnt associate it with being also true to life.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I loved Nahyuta because he was the best looking character in the series :allears:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

U-DO Burger posted:

Always loved approaching the end of his cases because he always goes into his breakdown animation where he shatters his beads which proceeds to give him a loving beatdown to the max. :allears:

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
them using that same breakdown animation 3-4 times in the game felt really dumb to me

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

somepartsareme posted:

them using that same breakdown animation 3-4 times in the game felt really dumb to me

TieTuesday is playing the Switch release of the AA Trilogy for the first time and I’d forgotten how we only see 1-3’s breakdown once. It’s pretty subtle as far as breakdowns go but it’s a favorite and makes the moment incredible effective.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Only sort of related but the topic reminded me: I think it's weird how much both the fandom and recently the devs themselves focus on the characters' breakdowns. Like, yes, it is satisfying to see the witness lose it after you expose them, but it would be satisfying even without incredibly over-the-top theatrics being involved. They have the opposite effect of completely taking me out of the experience. I think you only need something small like, exactly, Vasquez breaking her pipe instead of the whole minute freakouts that have kind of become standard.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The two 3D ones kind of over-ritualized it, especially with SoJ giving Nahyuta one that gets used every case. It doesn't bother me that much but it does feel more artificial.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I kind of like it, it's basically an anime transformation sequence

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I like the freakouts

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I kinda like 'em, but not everyone needs one, and Nahyuta repeating his big freakout every case was too much, especially since it didn't actually seem to affect him afterwards.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Spirit of Justice breakdowns are definitely too much imo

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Yea Vazquez pipe breaking and smiley characters going into evil scowls or grins are way more effective to me than hats flying away and the stand becoming a sinking boat etc

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Remember how DD's final boss has like two whole minutes devoted to their flailing around on the stand as incredibly melodramatic dialogue scrolls by

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Amppelix posted:

Remember how DD's final boss has like two whole minutes devoted to their flailing around on the stand as incredibly melodramatic dialogue scrolls by

To be fair that one was 100% “look what we can do with models now!”

They really should dial a bunch of things back though, I miss when characters resembled actual people.

Roger Retinz was one of my favorite recent designs in that regard. Case 6-2 in general was fantastic.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I want the next prosecutor to saw the bench in half when he first eats poo poo in a trial.

The bench is of course miraculously fixed the next time you see it.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

The breakdown depends on the character and the motive imo, but absolutely some get too overused which deflates some climatic tension at times. I love seeing a real bastard of a man, especially one in a lot of power, being shattered (DD Case 3 is really satisfying in this regard).

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Yeah I was also found of the more subtle breakdowns.

I also think that it made the few ott ones pack more of a punch.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

To be fair that one was 100% “look what we can do with models now!”

They really should dial a bunch of things back though, I miss when characters resembled actual people.

Roger Retinz was one of my favorite recent designs in that regard. Case 6-2 in general was fantastic.

I liked Trucy's fangirls, and yeah Roger was pretty good.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Roger Retinz kinda reminds me of Spark Brushel, but not absolutely awful in every way, end quote.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Spark Brushel is the most genuinely helpful and good witness in the entire series.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

chumbler posted:

Spark Brushel is the most genuinely helpful and good witness in the entire series.

That's nice and all, but you have to look at him.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Ridiculous breakdowns are sometimes good and sometimes bad imo.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I don't have a problem with Gavin's motivation, but his whole arc in the game fell very flat with me. Plus, I honestly expected the developers to mine the relationship with his brother for dramatic potential and they just did not.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Momomo posted:

That's nice and all, but you have to look at him.

Turn on your DS screen

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The Virgin Sadhmadhi vs The Chad Blackquil

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Blackquill loving rules he might be my favorite prosecutor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
the 2nd prosecutor of a trilogy is always the best, mhm.