Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Skyl3lazer posted:

I want what you're on
in your opinion what was the beast league?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
it's bizarre that league bosses have been consistently so rare. i wouldn't mind the rewards being a little less impressive if i just had a snowballs chance in hell of getting to experience new content without buying a clear from a powergamer to get highly specific challenge completion

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Venuz Patrol posted:

it's bizarre that league bosses have been consistently so rare. i wouldn't mind the rewards being a little less impressive if i just had a snowballs chance in hell of getting to experience new content without buying a clear from a powergamer to get highly specific challenge completion

The bosses aren't meant for casuals to play, they are for streamers and top tier players. GGG calls it "aspirational content." But yeah it does suck to tie them into challenges.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Synthesis league bosses weren't that rare. You get one every 8 maps you do if you clear as many reward nodes as you can. Getting the boss you want to spawn... now that part is hard.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Lechtansi posted:

The bosses aren't meant for casuals to play, they are for streamers and top tier players. GGG calls it "aspirational content." But yeah it does suck to tie them into challenges.

Well that's a nicer way to phrase that then I would.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

megalodong posted:

Hopefully this league will result in them pulling away from the management sim trend and going back to leagues where you just do the league mechanic.

And maybe spending some drat time playtesting things, because so many of the issues here remind me of bestiary in that a week of playtesting would have shown them.

thankful that they seem to be doing the above. Delve is about the limit of what level of management i find enjoyable.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I think Delve gets away with being a lot more complicated than most leagues because of how when you make a choice the other options don't go away, so it doesn't feel bad if you do something that's not "optimal" according to a diagram on the internet

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I think a greatly, greatly streamlined version of Synthesis would be ok in core.

You see Cavas 3 times (because that's how these mechanics work now, I guess) and each encounter gives you a piece with 3 charges and is rare. The nexus map is considerably smaller and the reward nodes rotate, maybe determined by the number of times you see Cavas kind of like how Syndicate encounters 'turn'. Doing the 4 bosses results in a Cortex.

On the crafting side, make considerably less synthesis tiers / make it chance based success rather than threshold / nerf the top tiers if they're too good this way. Maybe.

It's doable, but it'll probably take three leagues of time to strip it down while working on other poo poo.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Remove the Nexus. 3 Cavas per map, each encounter gets you a piece. Once you hit 9 pieces, you get to run those 9, plus a reward node and a boss node. No tile placement or anything, just 9 linked fragments into reward node and boss node.

Synthesised items can only have 1 inherent mod, picked from only fractured mods. Fractured items can still have 3 fractured mods. Remove the vast majority of garbage tier inherents and lock fractured mods at t1-t3.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Q/A part 1 got posted

little preview:

quote:

Do you have a stash tab planned for fossils and resonators?

We plan to make fossils stack game-wide and then evaluate whether a tab is still needed. There are some small technical hurdles we need to first overcome before this stacking is possible.

Chris please, just take my money, stop fighting it

quote:

Can we get Cross Play between console platforms?

That'd be awesome. Players should let Sony know that they're interested in Cross Play being enabled for Path of Exile.

lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The Q&A is good, and there's a lot of people who are fuckin' salted about it. lol

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Captain Foo posted:

The Q&A is good, and there's a lot of people who are fuckin' salted about it. lol

I had a huge thing here but you know gently caress it lol

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Honestly I just can't believe that they're fine with the state of currency trading being hope you find a bot so you can actually complete a trade, you would assume that they'd be trying to ban those bots

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

It's not really that frustrating or difficult to currency trade, there is no problem

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Sure, if you quickly identify one of the bots it's an easy and painless transaction, it's that they're fine with this that confuses me

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
We really need to put "Heavy Friction in Trading is a Core Design Philosophy" back in the thread title.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Red Red Blue posted:

Sure, if you quickly identify one of the bots it's an easy and painless transaction, it's that they're fine with this that confuses me

If you just skip the lowest like ten to twenty listings, you'll get a response almost immediately. Alternatively just message the first twenty listings and accept the first invite.

Maps are a lot more frustrating because each of those people with the lowest listing have like twenty maps listed, but the same strategy applies.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Lechtansi posted:

We really need to put "Heavy Friction in Trading is a Core Design Philosophy" back in the thread title.

We really do.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

Lechtansi posted:

Eh, the current title says the same thing in fewer words.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

How about "Shut up about trade you tedious little poo poo" ?

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.
Path of Exile: Synthesis - TheRat approved complaints ONLY

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

How dare people talk about a video game in the way i don't want them to!!! I'm so upset about it!!!

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Lechtansi posted:

We really need to put "No lubrication Trading is a Core Design Philosophy" back in the thread title.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

TheRat posted:

How about "Shut up about trade you tedious little poo poo" ?

doesn't fit, shorten it to "Shut up about trade you trade"

DawnOfMinstrel
Jun 27, 2013
Is trading really that bad at high levels of play? I'm curious because I've never experienced it: I play this game casually (or maybe a bit more than casually) and the only thing I find frustrating is how I can't split stacks while the trading window is open.

I have had no problem buying currency (mostly chromes for chaos) and maps (white and yellow mostly). I sometimes have to ask 3-5 different people, but that's the only friction I've encountered.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s not bad it’s just not instant and you may have to spam trade requests every once in awhile.

And do research which means check Poe ninja before you sell something.

Rares are hard.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
Trade is mostly fine including maps. Promoting the wiki, not making Betrayal account bound, not addressing the lack of player agency are much bigger issues.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Map trading is bad if you are dumb and try to buy them one at a time. Once I started bulk buying it got a lot smoother. For currency I don't really have issues. Just find someone who has a large stock and is not in the cheapest 20 or so listings and you usually get a response fairly quickly.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Last league I got to Maps for the first time.

This league I got to Red Maps, which was my goal.

I look forward to the next league where I can avoid the mistakes I made mapping and hit T15/16 and above. (Also, I hope the mechanic is more fun. :)

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

I finished all the red maps yesterday and am now working on completing all the maps to get the trophy. Unfortunately, I think this means I need to do Hall of Grandmasters (which I tried yesterday and OMG ffffffff) and the super expensive ones like Perandus' Manor. :/

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Also NOBODY had a price listed for Hall of Grandmasters map so without doing any research (dumb) I likely greatly overpaid for it greatly since apparently everyone hates it.

... but on my last portal an exalted dropped so I didn't feel too bad about it anymore.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I tried hogm last league because someone said it wasn't that bad as rf. Didn't even get close to beating it.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

hawowanlawow posted:

I tried hogm last league because someone said it wasn't that bad as rf. Didn't even get close to beating it.

I soloed it as Arc traps last league, but it involved luring all the tanky bastards a pile of all my traps so they didn't get to regen.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

hawowanlawow posted:

I've only tried with a handful of builds but the only one I beat it with was a cold DoT Occultist last league. Actually, my CoC Ice Nova+Frostbolt Assassin did all of it except the stupid Demi spider queen one which my Occultist tagged in and easily destroyed.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Even if it was easy, it's still kind of a slog.

I didn't get any good loot either :(

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
I have never done a league before, so this is my first one. I still suck pretty bad and haven't managed to get to red maps yet (currently stuck in a never ending loop of getting almost to level 85 then dying a whole bunch and losing all my exp).

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Eminai posted:

Path of Exile: Synthesis - TheRat approved complaints ONLY

Seconded.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mischalaniouse posted:

I have never done a league before, so this is my first one. I still suck pretty bad and haven't managed to get to red maps yet (currently stuck in a never ending loop of getting almost to level 85 then dying a whole bunch and losing all my exp).

post a link to your character and someone can help you :)

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
I literally can't do HOGM because Spectres die instantly :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

Captain Foo posted:

post a link to your character and someone can help you :)

Oh, I actually already have, I just haven't taken most of the advice I was given to heart yet.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account...tavo/characters

Like I know I need more defensive flasks and not just all life flasks, and I need more life. Some of that requires trading with people and I just haven't done that at all in PoE yet.