Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

teen bear posted:

very happy to wake up and see every king crimson album up on apple music in addition to the weekly commentary/single

Are you mistaken friendo? I have no such catalogue. Still just the live stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

XBenedict posted:

This is what I'm seeing now:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

XBenedict posted:

It’s all there for me too.

I am sorry to inform you that you’re in frippatory, please expiate your prog sins before you pass into the holyfuckitsfinallyallonstreaming realm.

Seriously though it may be rolling out slowly. I’m in the US by the way, not sure if that matters.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

On Spotify I still only have the live stuff too :negative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wagkBedzwI8

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

teen bear posted:

This is what I'm seeing now:

I now have it on Apple Music. It looks like a few albums are already up on Qobuz. Nothing yet on Tidal or Spotify.

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

Hopefully the projekcts come online too

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I think Spotify wasn’t until later. Looking forward to having the KC albums easily available on my phone.

RDreamer
Apr 10, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
They'll be up on Spotify June 10.

It was in the announcement I posted last page.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
A two-part question regarding King Crimson, now that a lot of their stuff is on iTunes and a bit more easily acquired.

First, how is their music over the last 20-odd years? I grew up listening to my dad's vinyl copies of basically everything they did up through Three of a Perfect Pair, having practically destroyed the Frame by Frame CD set through 25+ years of overuse, and Red is one of my favorite albums. I've noticed a lot of people speaking highly of their stuff since the mid-90's, and that video someone posted of FraKctured seemed really interesting. Are there any albums or mixes that I should really look into (Or try and avoid) of their more recent stuff?

Second, where would one start with their live stuff? I'm a huge fan of live albums, but with King Crimson all I've heard is a handful of odds and ends on YouTube, the fourth disc of Frame by Frame, and my dad's original vinyl of Earthbound. I'd be particularly interested in anything from the Red and Discipline eras, as well as anything that's just generally regarded as having either great sound quality or great performance.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
1980-1984 era - Absent Lovers 2CD (Live in Montreal)

Current lineup: probably Live in Chicago CD

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
The heavy construction live album is good for the 4 piece aughts crimson.

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

I’ve always liked USA and Earthbound for their live albums but I don’t think either of those are streaming unfortunately

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
There's a ton of good live stuff from '72-'74, but here are the most essential, I think:

The Night Watch - As a whole, probably the single best recorded show from this era. More than half of the live material on Starless and Bible Black was taken from this show.

USA - Contains the excellent Asbury Park improv, the heavier version of Exiles the lineup performed in its later days, and most importantly—and not on the original release of the album—the best version of Starless ever.

Live at the Zoom Club, 1972 - A rough-sounding bootleg (maybe not quite as bad as Earthbound), but very listenable on a good stereo. This is this incarnation of King Crimson's very first show, and the best, most complete document of the band with Jamie Muir that exists. If it seems a bit daunting, you need to at least hear the Fallen Angel improv.

Rust Martialis posted:

1980-1984 era - Absent Lovers 2CD (Live in Montreal)

But if I had to pick a single best live album from the entire history of King Crimson, it's this. This performance is so magical that Waiting Man, a track from Beat that I did not particularly care for on the album, ended up being the best part of a show that has no weak moments.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 10, 2019

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The sound's a bit thin, but I've always really liked the Central Park `74 show, I forget what volume of the collector's club it was, but it's pretty commonly available iirc

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I really like Larks Tongues in Aspic (Part II) on the USA album.

Grudgerm
May 4, 2012

by Reene

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I really like Larks Tongues in Aspic (Part II) on the USA album.

I really liked the version on the 1984 Japan tour vhs.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
You *really* need to try to see them this tour if possible. Like, nothing on a CD compares to the Beast. Seriously.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Rust Martialis posted:

You *really* need to try to see them this tour if possible. Like, nothing on a CD compares to the Beast. Seriously.

just pulled the trigger for the september ny show, will be my first time seeing them so pretty stoked

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Rust Martialis posted:

I wish I could. They literally aren’t coming within a thousand miles of where I live.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Godley & Creme's Consequences sure is a thing, huh? I don't think I liked it but it's such an elaborate project I can't help but be impressed.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

DoubleCakes posted:

Godley & Creme's Consequences sure is a thing, huh? I don't think I liked it but it's such an elaborate project I can't help but be impressed.

One of the pieces of art from the sleeve is the cover of the latest chemical brothers album, so it's been on my mind of late. I think what it comes down to for me is that they're not as clever as they think they are. This goes for 10cc proper as well; the productions are great, the songs range from dire to would-be-great-if-they-didn't-add-that-one-last-stupid-over-the-top-bit-that's-making-me-roll-my-eyes-and-sigh-heavily-i'm-looking-at-you-the-bridge-to-i'm-not-in-love

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Rollersnake posted:

But if I had to pick a single best live album from the entire history of King Crimson, it's this. This performance is so magical that Waiting Man, a track from Beat that I did not particularly care for on the album, ended up being the best part of a show that has no weak moments.

yeah I would say exactly the same thing - something about "Waiting Man" on record feels so lifeless, but man is it great on here. hell, even the Discipline stuff...I remember putting the LP on a couple weeks after hearing Absent Lovers and swearing that my turntable was busted, because the album felt so slow in comparison.

also..gonna second the Heavy ConstruKction set. I did not like the studio album much but nearly everything that irritated me about it was taken away on the live disc. They pull some real gems out of their back catalogue and the improv disc is stellar (though the recording of Fripp snatching away someone's camera felt a bit gratuitous)

as far as recent stuff goes I like the "Radical Action" boxset a lot - I recall hearing that an insane amount of mixing went into that album, what you were hear is 'live' but also mixed from dozens of audio channels, so it sounds just like a studio album. I don't think you really need to hear the crowd on a KC live album so this really works for me.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

fartknocker posted:

A two-part question regarding King Crimson, now that a lot of their stuff is on iTunes and a bit more easily acquired.

First, how is their music over the last 20-odd years? I grew up listening to my dad's vinyl copies of basically everything they did up through Three of a Perfect Pair, having practically destroyed the Frame by Frame CD set through 25+ years of overuse, and Red is one of my favorite albums. I've noticed a lot of people speaking highly of their stuff since the mid-90's, and that video someone posted of FraKctured seemed really interesting. Are there any albums or mixes that I should really look into (Or try and avoid) of their more recent stuff?

King Crimson is one of the few prog bands who has been consistently good throughout their entire career. That being said, not everyone likes all eras of King Crimson equally. After the double trio period (Thrak), the band split up into four separate ProjeKcts and performed free form improvisational sets throughout the late 90s and early 2000s. Officially this wasn't King Crimson, but it did capitalize heavily off the brand. Some people hated this period, others loved it. It was definitely the most experimental period the band had ever gone through. What emerged was ProjeKct X, the four piece that would eventually become the King Crimson lineup on The ConstruKction of Light and The Power to Believe. Both these albums are quite good, tPtB is the stronger of the two.

There were tons of live albums from this period, some are only available on the Collectors Club. But Heavy ConstruKction is the official live album from the ConstruKction of Light tour and it's very good (but not as good as Absent Lovers). You can probably skip most of the ProjeKct albums, but ProjeKct X: Heaven and Earth is quite good, and The Deception of the Thrush gives you a taste of all the other ProjeKcts.

Later in 2011 they released "A Scarcity of Miracles: A King Crimson ProjeKct" which is a studio album with a whole new lineup. It's a huge departure from the heavy 90's / early 2000s sound. Gone is Adrian Belew, replaced by Jakko M. Jakszyk, lead singer of classic King Crimson tribute band "21st Century Schizoid Band". They also brought back Mel Collins: sax and woodwind player from the early 70s lineup, and also from that same tribute band. The sound is closer to that early 70s sound, but with a modern flavor. It's a lot more chill. This was the beginning of the current lineup they have now.

quote:

Second, where would one start with their live stuff? I'm a huge fan of live albums, but with King Crimson all I've heard is a handful of odds and ends on YouTube, the fourth disc of Frame by Frame, and my dad's original vinyl of Earthbound. I'd be particularly interested in anything from the Red and Discipline eras, as well as anything that's just generally regarded as having either great sound quality or great performance.

Absent Lovers is probably their best live album. It's from the 80s lineup. If you like the original lineup, get Epitaph. The sound quality isn't great, but it's probably the best you're going to get of original King Crimson. For the early 70s lineup, get Ladies of the Road. And for the mid 70s lineup, there's tons of live albums (mostly from the collectors club), but the most accessible one is probably USA. The 90s double trio lineup has a ton of live albums as well, the one I bought at the time was B'Boom, which is quite good. I already talked about the ProjeKcts and Heavy ConstruKction, but for the most recent King Crimson, check out Meltdown.

And, now for a shameless plug, I posted a music video for my song, Drakus. It has some early King Crimson influences.
https://youtu.be/j_1cV7mTqZY

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 16, 2019

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Ugh with all this Crimson talk I can't wait for the show in September. I think I bought the tickets in February, so the wait is almost halfway done! Time flies ! :D

I'm seeing the new Musical Box tour this Saturday, can't wait to pretend I'm not crying for 3 hours.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Home just now from Steve Hackett. June 9 is Crimson in Leipzig F&F show. Anyone else there, or on the 10th, or the 20th in London? I'm doing 4QM on the 10th.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

teen bear posted:

very happy to wake up and see every king crimson album up on apple music in addition to the weekly commentary/single

The catalogue is now available on Qobuz.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/consequence/status/1132502957130436608

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
drat how old is that picture of Cedric ^^^

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Any Spock's Beard fans? They're the corniest band on earth but they've always been a huge guilty pleasure for me, so I was thrilled to discover they did a live DVD of the whole Snow double album with Neal Morse back on vocals. But...

I busted out laughing when the lights go up at 1:30 in this video and you can see that it's filmed in a literal church in front of a crowd of like 200 people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1juPj3YEiTw

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I enjoy Spocks Beard and agree they are corny as gently caress. I don't really like the term guilty pleasure, but I guess they'd qualify. I've mostly listened to their old stuff, with Morse on vocals, and there are some good tracks there and I like the sound they have. Gotta love how the bass sounds. Beware of Darkness is probably my favorite album of theirs.
I have one of their live DVD's from back in the day, and they seem like a band who really enjoys what they're doing. Goofing around on stage, switching instruments and having fun.

Makes sense for that show to be filmed in a church though. Snow is, of course, a very religious album and Morse has basically been doing christian rock for years now, even if it is higher quality than most other artists using that term.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Attitude Indicator posted:

I enjoy Spocks Beard and agree they are corny as gently caress. I don't really like the term guilty pleasure, but I guess they'd qualify. I've mostly listened to their old stuff, with Morse on vocals, and there are some good tracks there and I like the sound they have. Gotta love how the bass sounds. Beware of Darkness is probably my favorite album of theirs.
I have one of their live DVD's from back in the day, and they seem like a band who really enjoys what they're doing. Goofing around on stage, switching instruments and having fun.

Makes sense for that show to be filmed in a church though. Snow is, of course, a very religious album and Morse has basically been doing christian rock for years now, even if it is higher quality than most other artists using that term.
I came in ready to defend all the bands who have done acoustic sets in Union Chapel and other venues because of the fantastic acoustics, but this is apparently Neal Morse's actual church?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Vulture Culture posted:

I came in ready to defend all the bands who have done acoustic sets in Union Chapel and other venues because of the fantastic acoustics, but this is apparently Neal Morse's actual church?

Huh, I was sure he was Lutheran. At least his album about Luther has lead me to believe that.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Nah, he's some form of non-denominational charismatic/evangelical protestant. I mean, most non-catholic/orthodox Christians can be considered Lutheran if you trace the lineage but it's a whole different thing in modern terms.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Apparently a GroupOn for KC RAH concerts?

Trying to verify

https://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/gl-an-evening-with-king-crimson-1

ed: confirmed legit by DGM to me

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jun 6, 2019

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Here in Leipzig to see Crim play and the city is hosting a massive Goth festival.

Ed: THEY PLAYED CAT FOOD

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jun 10, 2019

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

FYI: King Crimson catalogue has now fully populated on Spotify, Amazon Music, and Tidal. Qobuz and Apple Music were available weeks ago.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

XBenedict posted:

FYI: King Crimson catalogue has now fully populated on Spotify, Amazon Music, and Tidal. Qobuz and Apple Music were available weeks ago.

Apparently Spotify missed publishing some of the studio albums. Might be fixed now.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Rust Martialis posted:

Apparently Spotify missed publishing some of the studio albums. Might be fixed now.
It is!

:getin:

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Rust Martialis posted:

It only took them a day. Took Qobuz a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I'm seeing King Crimson in Frankfurt tonight. Anyone know if I should grab earplugs?