Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

game

GOOD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Glenn Quebec posted:

I STRONGLY recommend that you rebind your right click to feint or parry. I infact recommend that everyone do this.

If you hold it down after the feint does it become a parry? That's what I'm hoping for and exactly what I want.

Also yeah, in FPS games the name of the game is typically to have a low sensitivity for better precision and tracking. I normally set it so a 180 is about 2/3 of my mouse pad width. For games like this having it a bit higher makes sense but you still want some precision.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ryEG5vwJTE

I had really fun Horde mode run.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

If you hold it down after the feint does it become a parry? That's what I'm hoping for and exactly what I want.

Also yeah, in FPS games the name of the game is typically to have a low sensitivity for better precision and tracking. I normally set it so a 180 is about 2/3 of my mouse pad width. For games like this having it a bit higher makes sense but you still want some precision.

You would have to press right click again after the feint.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
While we're posting media, I suppose I might as well throw in this stupid little montage I made of my first day in Mordhau.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EcdhGO5C0g

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Maybe. But being shirtless and using a zweihander or estoc or battle axe, which a lot of people seem to do, will get you turned into a red mist by an archer you're trying to jump because of how fast the cleaver is and your lack of protection. That's assuming you make it to the archer.

I'm really starting to feel like the cleaver's broken. Maybe it's just because people aren't good at fighting against fast weapons yet or what, but its damage against armor isn't horrible and you can just go nuts on somebody and they can't do much if they can't properly chamber one of your attacks, which is really hard to do against something that swings that fast. I added it to my short spear loadout instead of one the perks (I think the jumping stamina reduction one) and now my short spear is basically just a javelin I use on approaching.

It's probably just people being bad but the number of times I've had somebody with a zweihander parry a cleaver attack then start a swing only to discover it's actually still my turn and get shredded is impressive.

Edit: What does the "Feint or Parry" hotkey that isn't bound by default do? I'm guessing it cancels attacks into feint if you hit it while swinging, or just parries if you aren't swinging. That's kind of tempting to use ( especially since I ALWAYS try to right click to cancel attacks) but there's times when you want to take an attack into a parry, not just feint.

I wonder if you could just right click twice to go from attack to feint to parry, and how much delay you would add doing that.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Captain Beans posted:

I wonder if you could just right click twice to go from attack to feint to parry, and how much delay you would add doing that.

Probably not enough to make it a lot worse than effectively never feinting. Feints may also have a longer window to cancel into than parries do so it would be a lot better for cancelling.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
One thing that is exactly the same as Chivalry, the players on duel servers are far higher tier and far more polite than the regular servers. I was getting wrecked by a few people last night on a duel server

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

eonwe posted:

One thing that is exactly the same as Chivalry, the players on duel servers are far higher tier and far more polite than the regular servers. I was getting wrecked by a few people last night on a duel server

This has been the case since at least the Jedi Knight games. I'm guessing it's because people treating it as a contest of skill are a bit more eager to recognize something somebody does as being impressive or difficult to pull off, rather than bullshit that killed them and it's bullshit because it killed then.

There's also the RPers, which can be kinda off-putting sometimes. They're normally polite though.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

psyman posted:

In practically every multiplayer game I’ve played, the pros all use high sensitivity and can whip around in an instant, which is really common in FPS.

????

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

Armor and weapons are unmanly. The only acceptable weapon is a throwable to eliminate the dishonorable, cowardly archers

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
I haven't played MnB in a long time but playing a few hours as a naked peasant, two parts bear trap, one part frying pan has wishing me it could decapitate people.

Are any of the preset loadouts good? I haven't used any while unlocking and rotating through the selection of blunt and polearms.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Delacroix posted:

I haven't played MnB in a long time but playing a few hours as a naked peasant, two parts bear trap, one part frying pan has wishing me it could decapitate people.

Are any of the preset loadouts good? I haven't used any while unlocking and rotating through the selection of blunt and polearms.

Footman is good, so is the Archer one. Knight is okay. I'm honestly not a fan of the one with a zweihander because it has a hood instead of helmet. Protector feels too slow and even his mace feels slower than it should.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The halberd is real, and strong, and my friend.
https://i.imgur.com/tSyvGFb.mp4

Seriously, I knew it was the weapon for me when I looked at its stats and saw it had two modes: Murder, and Murder.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Perestroika posted:

The halberd is real, and strong, and my friend.
https://i.imgur.com/tSyvGFb.mp4

Seriously, I knew it was the weapon for me when I looked at its stats and saw it had two modes: Murder, and Murder.

Yeah, I was using a spear then I tried the halberd for the hell of it and I don't think I'm going back to the spear.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
also im sorry to the person I disarmed last night and killed instead of letting you pick your weapon up, its a habit :ohdear:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah spent a bunch of time on a duel server last night too, just running around whomping people with the quarterstaff. I love it a lot. Getting pretty good at leaning back and forward to dodge head-level swings

Pursued by bees
Jan 1, 2013

heartful of fire
with no one left to tell
What am I supposed to do against dudes with shields in this game, just keep hitting them until they run out of stamina? Fake them out with feints? Throw bombs?

Fighting them with the eveningstar (my preferred weapon) is just a huge loving slog since neither side can get an attack through before some other dingdongs burst in and start flailing around with zweihanders

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Kick them. That’s exactly what it is meant to be used for.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

To expand upon that, bait them in close, such as letting them get a swing in and then parrying it, and instead of reposting, kick. As soon as you throw the kick, bring down an overhead and it should connect before they can block again, especially if you accelerate it by aiming down.

Big, slow, obvious weapons are especially difficult to use against shield users, so they've got you at a disadvantage (so pack a backup weapon like a shortsword or an axe or something fast and light), but 90% of the people using shields in this game thing they've invincible while holding right click so just keep slapping the shield. You regain a little stamina every time a hit connects, and they'll lose all their stamina before you will if you play patient and careful.

You can get around them though with hyper-aggressive play. Be in their poo poo at all times, swing wide and try and bring it around on them while you hug their face as close as possible.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 3, 2019

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

If you want to stick with your two handed weapons then you can also just practice circle strafing. People with shields aren't great at tracking your movements, especially in team fights, and it's usually not that hard to get to the side of them and hit them in the back by accelerating a horizontal into their back.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Also don't be afraid to disengage if you aren't at an advantage.

Pursued by bees
Jan 1, 2013

heartful of fire
with no one left to tell
Good advice, thanks guys. I've been ignoring kicking entirely because getting it to connect has been kinda difficult. Accelerating my swings with aiming is also something I hadn't even considered.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

It tells you how to do that in the tutorial, I'd do it if you haven't you get like 10 decent matches worth of gold if you do.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Glenn Quebec posted:

Also don't be afraid to disengage if you aren't at an advantage.

If you're with a group of teammates then I disagree. When two groups are squaring off and you get spooked off because you missed a parry it causes the rest of the group to die because the enemy just opened up a hole and they aren't going to chase you, they'll flank and wipe your group.. You'll live but your team will lose the fight, had you held a teammate could have opened up their line and you'd have relief.

I think I trust my teammates to not break immediately too much.

Mr.Unique-Name fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 3, 2019

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

If you're with a group of teammates then I disagree. When two groups are squaring off and somebody on one of the flanks gets spooked off because they missed a parry it cause the rest of the group to die because they just opened up a hole and the enemy isn't going to chase you. You'll live but your team will lose the fight, had you held a teammate could have opened up their line and you'd have relief.

I think I trust my teammates to not break immediately too much.

Yeah sure.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Coward!

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

psyman posted:

It sounds like a solution could be to put a cap on aiming sensitivity?

In practically every multiplayer game I’ve played, the pros all use high sensitivity and can whip around in an instant, which is really common in FPS. I don’t think it’s fair to people like me who prefer low sens for more natural motion, and I think it would be uncomfortable for a low sens player to be forced to play at high sens.

I don’t understand why most games even support super fast aiming speed, it just seems to be exploited every time.
Just popping in to say this is extremely false. Pro players will whip their entire arm to get the fast rotations. I'm at work so can't link it but you can find say r6:siege pro players settings and they're all around 1k dpi with 8-12 (out of 100) in game sensitivity.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

But I agreed!!

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Glenn Quebec posted:

But I agreed!!

I read it as dismissal. I am quite insecure. That is why I will not retreat. I must prove my mettle.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Imagine 4 players with spear and shield and 4 players with 2 handed spears backing them up.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I am imagining them all dying at the same time to a friendly catapult

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
lol these are seriously the only skin tone options gently caress this game

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
They need to add more skin tones but also work on the color swatches for picking colors on skin/metal/whatever because the indistinguishable swatches of slightly silvery white do not represent what your chain mail looks like at all.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
They actually differ a lot more on the character than those boxes seem. Like, the darkest one is really pretty dusky.

But yeah, it would be great if we could go full black just to hopefully give some chuds an aneurysm.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
Your skin tone options are: white, cream, eggshell, mayo, snow, pearl, chalk, and off-white

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
In their language there are sixty different words for subtle differences on white skin tones and yet not a single one for anything else

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
I have never heard of the sun nor would I ever allow it to pierce my solid steel plates coating my body.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Skin tone thing sucks. The Deus Vult chuds who hide their racism beneath a veneer of "historical sccuracy" (but don't give a gently caress about 8th century viking swords with 16th cent zweihanders) loving suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
It's just yet another instance in the perpetuated myth that Europe in its middle history was exclusively white and not like there were people of other cultures were all over the place. The same white supremacist pieces of poo poo who champion things like Kingdom: Come Deliverance as historically accurate. I just really wish there was one of these first-person knight-and-sword-havers games that wasn't so loving up its own rear end. Bannerlord please where are you my family is dying