Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

feedmegin posted:

If there's any hint that a hard Brexit is 'a forceful economic treatment', i.e. something that can be framed as desired and deliberately applied by people like you, the end result of that is not going to be a whole bunch of economically devastated people 'learning the error of their ways', it's going to be literal fascism and Chancellor Farage, hth. Do your 'British friends' know you think it's a good idea for them to starve?

Your theory that no matter what happens Farage is likely to take a more and more central role in British politics really does reaffirm my "the EU will be much better without the UK's retardation" thesis.

My British friends have mostly either moved, or are moving, to Dublin/Amsterdam/Frankfurt, or to Dubai/Hong Kong/Singapore. Because instead of getting angry on the internet and ranting at European people for being mean for not wanting the UK to stay in the EU, they've realized which way UK politics, and the white collar MNC jobs market in the UK, are going and made life changes to account for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
After a hard Brexit when Russian "volunteers" show up to protect the Russian citizens in Britain with their tanks, would Farage & friends be pro-Russian enough to welcome them, or just run away with the money and blame something/someone else?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
‘Some of my best friends are British’. That’s what’s so crazy about this!

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

feedmegin posted:

Na, Farage and their ilk will happily just blame any and all problems on either the Tories being incompetent and not assertive enough or the EU being out to get us. 'Britain's economy will collapse and therefore the far right will lose support and everyone will become more reasonable and realise the error of their ways like naughty schoolchildren' is just not how actual politics or people work. I don't disagree backing down from Brexit is going to empower him too, mind you; it's kind of lovely but he wins both ways, just differently.

I mean, you say that, but Farage quit UKIP for a reason. And that reason is that he, his political movement, cannot sustain themselves if they are actually achieving their goals. After Brexit the most likely scenario is that the Tories will absorb most of UKIP/Brexit party folks - which isn't to say that they'll go away, but faced with their newfound sovreignty will have to come to terms with actually governing instead of complaining. This, I assert, is a task they are not equiped or prepared for, and regardless of whether they think that Brexit was good or bad, it will be in the past and the issues of the day will be different. Now has that stopped anyone in British politics? Not really, but I think your best bet at getting rid of them is to let them fail than allowing them to sell a future they never have to deliver on.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Blut posted:

Your theory that no matter what happens Farage is likely to take a more and more central role in British politics really does reaffirm my "the EU will be much better without the UK's retardation" thesis.

My British friends have mostly either moved, or are moving, to Dublin/Amsterdam/Frankfurt, or to Dubai/Hong Kong/Singapore. Because instead of getting angry on the internet and ranting at European people for being mean for not wanting the UK to stay in the EU, they've realized which way UK politics, and the white collar MNC jobs market in the UK, are going and made life changes to account for that.
The people moving to noted slave state Dubai are probably not doing it for reasons of political principle

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Blut posted:

My British friends have mostly either moved, or are moving, to Dubai

Out of the frying pan into the fire, eh?

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

The people moving to noted slave state Dubai are probably not doing it for reasons of political principle

They'll at least get a headstart on adjusting to life as it'll be when they move back to the Singapore of Europe I suppose.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Should I go to Singapore and get sentenced to death for smoking weed or Dubai and go to prison if I get raped.
Hard choices 🤔

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
It's good enough for James Dyson, it should be good enough for you.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
What an awful prick that guy is. Complains that the UK isn't more like Singapore, supports Brexit, leaves Britain for Singapore anyway.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Celexi posted:

Should I go to Singapore and get sentenced to death for smoking weed or Dubai and go to prison if I get raped.
Hard choices 🤔

lol if you can just move to singapore or dubai like that you're rich enough that that poo poo doesn't apply

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

YF-23 posted:

I mean, you say that, but Farage quit UKIP for a reason. And that reason is that he, his political movement, cannot sustain themselves if they are actually achieving their goals. After Brexit the most likely scenario is that the Tories will absorb most of UKIP/Brexit party folks - which isn't to say that they'll go away, but faced with their newfound sovreignty will have to come to terms with actually governing instead of complaining. This, I assert, is a task they are not equiped or prepared for, and regardless of whether they think that Brexit was good or bad, it will be in the past and the issues of the day will be different. Now has that stopped anyone in British politics? Not really, but I think your best bet at getting rid of them is to let them fail than allowing them to sell a future they never have to deliver on.

Farage is counting on Brexit being dragged down it until a second referendum happens and that is what is going to give him a tremendous amount of political power in the future and I think it is s smart bet that London would have and never will allow Brexit to happen.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Truga posted:

lol if you can just move to singapore or dubai like that you're rich enough that that poo poo doesn't apply

Ah its incredibly easy to move to one of the expat hubs, if you want to, if you have a UK or EU passport. There are absolutely shitloads of white collar jobs that are easy to apply for from a distance and get, and even working class ones like cabin crew for Emirates.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Well I'm going to vote greens in the EUlections and smdh as only 5% of my countrymen show up to vote. We really, really need more non-rightwing people voting in the Netherlands.

scumaliom
Feb 8, 2019

Opferwurst posted:

Does anyone have opinions on the Volt movement?

Lanyard nerds. They started around the idea of a Macron-like moment being the answer for all of Europe (before he got into office and his approval ratings tanked) and they don't really have any policy positions and they seem to think a united/federal Europe would solve everything. They've had some big red flags for me, they state that they are neither left-wing nor right-wing which usually means we're going to be right-wing but we'd prefer if you didn't notice.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

scumaliom posted:

Lanyard nerds. They started around the idea of a Macron-like moment being the answer for all of Europe (before he got into office and his approval ratings tanked) and they don't really have any policy positions and they seem to think a united/federal Europe would solve everything. They've had some big red flags for me, they state that they are neither left-wing nor right-wing which usually means we're going to be right-wing but we'd prefer if you didn't notice.

Honestly, I have become more skeptical of supranationalism over time, it isn’t that the nation itself is s thing that should be protected but that there generally seems to be even less accountability with the more structure you add on top. It isn’t that it can work in some regards but the last decade has been pretty humbling to the idea.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

An insane mind posted:

Well I'm going to vote greens in the EUlections and smdh as only 5% of my countrymen show up to vote. We really, really need more non-rightwing people voting in the Netherlands.
I already saw a bunch of torn-up voting passes in the bin here (student housing). They really couldn't care less. I didn't even receive mine yet!

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Ardennes posted:

Honestly, I have become more skeptical of supranationalism over time, it isn’t that the nation itself is s thing that should be protected but that there generally seems to be even less accountability with the more structure you add on top. It isn’t that it can work in some regards but the last decade has been pretty humbling to the idea.

The thing is, stuff like climate change can only be solved via supranational means (having countries go their own way leads to the Prisoner's Dilemma that has been screwing us all this whole time), so I will vote for anyone who suggests more Federalization as long as they aren't Nazis.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ardennes posted:

Ah yes when national entities sabotage supranational entities, the supranational entities have problems... clearly the problem is the existence of the supranational entity.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

fishmech posted:

Ah yes when national entities sabotage supranational entities, the supranational entities have problems... clearly the problem is the existence of the supranational entity.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Another issue is that most of the Eu is stuck inside the eurozone, which is great if you're part of the rentier classes and sucks for everyone else. Breaking up the euro is an option, but an exceptionally difficult one and will require vastly more animosity towards the current situation than is present. An other option is to build left-wing eurozone coalitions to rebuild the welfare state at the international level. Which is also a herculean task and makes you go into full conflict with those who profit off of the system as it exists today.

poo poo's hosed is what I'm saying, and while I'm happy that center-left is kind of winning over in the uk, portugal and spain, we're nowhere near what we need to get poo poo done.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

double nine posted:

Another issue is that most of the Eu is stuck inside the eurozone, which is great if you're part of the rentier classes and sucks for everyone else. Breaking up the euro is an option, but an exceptionally difficult one and will require vastly more animosity towards the current situation than is present. An other option is to build left-wing eurozone coalitions to rebuild the welfare state at the international level. Which is also a herculean task and makes you go into full conflict with those who profit off of the system as it exists today.

This is a reckoning that needs to happen anyway to achieve any kind of good outcome in the 21st century. Climate change is only the most pressing of the various environmental calamities created by unconstrained capitalis, and the billionaire class isn't going to spontaneously decide by itself to initiate global redistribution. If people can't even make the EU work then its hard to see how we're going to collectively deal with the much harder global technological and humanitarian problems related to a rapidly changing climate.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Nocturtle posted:

This is a reckoning that needs to happen anyway to achieve any kind of good outcome in the 21st century. Climate change is only the most pressing of the various environmental calamities created by unconstrained capitalis, and the billionaire class isn't going to spontaneously decide by itself to initiate global redistribution. If people can't even make the EU work then its hard to see how we're going to collectively deal with the much harder global technological and humanitarian problems related to a rapidly changing climate.

:agreed:, and it would have to be done on a country by country basis otherwise, and I'd be surprised if we didn't get free trade deals with all the capitalism and none of the labour and environmental standards overnight if the EU went poof.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

fishmech posted:

It is certainly a problem with them at least especially if they have increased control over another nation's affairs because of that entity. Also, if a nation(s) can easily sabotage that entity or use it for their own desires, maybe there is a flaw in your organization.

As far as climate change, you don't necessarily need a federal state to accomplish action even if you still need some other entity.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 11:26 on May 6, 2019

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ardennes posted:

It is certainly a problem with them at least especially if they have increased control over another nation's affairs because of that entity. Also, if a nation(s) can easily sabotage that entity or use it for their own desires, maybe there is a flaw in your organization.

As far as climate change, you don't necessarily need a federal state to accomplish action even if you still need some other entity.

Yes the flaw is that Europeans are allowed to hold nation states in the 21st century.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

fishmech posted:

Yes the flaw is that Europeans are allowed to hold nation states in the 21st century.

Says the American.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Shibawanko posted:

Says the American.

Alabama isn't its own country anymore, qed

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

suck my woke dick posted:

Alabama isn't its own country anymore, qed
Mexico still is, and this is why:

quote:

The next reason assigned is, that either holding Mexico as a province, or incorporating her into the Union, would be unprecedented by any example in our history. We have conquered many of the neighboring tribes of Indians, but we have never thought of holding them in subjection, or of incorporating them into our Union. They have been left as an independent people in the midst of us, or have been driven back into the forests. Nor have we ever incorporated into the Union any but the Caucasian race. To incorporate Mexico, would be the first departure of the kind; for more than half of its population are pure Indians, and by far the larger portion of the residue mixed blood. I protest against the incorporation of such a people. Ours is the Government of the white man. The great misfortune of what was formerly Spanish America, is to be traced to the fatal error of placing the colored race on an equality with the white. That error destroyed the social arrangement which formed the basis of their society. This error we have wholly escaped; the Brazilians, formerly a province of Portugal, have escaped also, to a considerable extent, and they and we are the only people of this continent who have made revolutions without anarchy. And yet, with this example before them, and our uniform practice, there are those among us who talk about erecting these Mexicans into territorial Governments, and placing them on an equality with the people of these States. I utterly protest against the project.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Yay EU-wide VAT fraud!

Correctiv posted:

• It is the largest ongoing tax fraud in Europe: criminal gangs are stealing €50 billion every year from EU members states, according to the EU commission.
  • The losses are made worse by a lack of cooperation between EU members. Germany in particular is obstructing joint measures in fighting the tax fraud.
  • Fraudsters are now eyeing the market for green power certificates.
  • Islamist networks have used the fraud to finance terror.
  • CORRECTIV has followed in the footsteps of one fraudster who played a major role in a high profile VAT fraud carousel. Our investigation reveals how this type of organized crime works and how governments in Europe struggle to combat it.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
Amazing. It funds terrorism and criminals but ho boy, better not do anything about it, because it might inconvenience corporations!

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

9-Volt Assault posted:

Amazing. It funds terrorism and criminals but ho boy, better not do anything about it, because it might inconvenience corporations!

If corporations do it, it must be good. Imagine doing anything vaguely shady with your personal taxes and see how hard they would come down on you.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So... How does one theoretically get in on that??

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

mobby_6kl posted:

There's literally an explanatory video on how to do it in the article quoted.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

mobby_6kl posted:

As far as I've been able to ascertain, you just ask for example the Danish tax agency to transfer a couple billion to your accounts, then boom! But it's totally unrelated to various governing coalitions laying off 40% of the staff over the past decade and wasting obscene amounts of money on brand new, totally broken IT systems.

The systems that garnish your tax refunds when you're on welfare work just fine, though, incidentally.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

SplitSoul posted:

The systems that garnish your tax refunds when you're on welfare work just fine, though, incidentally.

Gentlemen, to evil!

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Junior G-man posted:

There's literally an explanatory video on how to do it in the article quoted.

You don't unless you're already have a powerful network of shady people with money. The entire scheme is about siphoning off as much money as possible before the house of cards inevitably collapses. Unless you have like false identities and/or a way to launder the money, eventually the state is knocking on your door. Your only shield is how many layers of obfuscation and middlemen there are between you and the tax people.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
LOL the US will put sanctions on Federica Mogherini because a tiny portion of the EU defense money will be put out of reach of LockMart.

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/united-states/us-warns-eu-over-poison-pill-defence-plans

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Yeah, a dude I know made its master thesis on this vat carrousel back in 2011!.reverse charging dampens it, but the only way to eliminate it is full vat and fiscal integration and since German states rather not collect taxes than have say,Bulgaria collect and then send it back I'm just sitting here and loling

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Hello fellow Europeans,

With the EP elections coming-up I realised I haven't got a loving clue about what the next parliament is going to be discussing/debating/deciding on. Is there anything like the Queen's speech where the legislative agenda is set out?

As I understand it the national parties join together in coalitions along the general left/right divide. Who are they and do they have manifestos?

How do I keep myself abreast of what is happening after the election so that I can be informed properly for the next one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

notaspy posted:

As I understand it the national parties join together in coalitions along the general left/right divide. Who are they and do they have manifestos?

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/about-parliament/en/organisation-and-rules/organisation/political-groups