Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Hiveswap will not be redeemed until they add terrible inventory management systems and 90s Sierra-level puzzles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Hiveswap pt1 was fun and cute, so if we're finally getting pt2 I'm still looking forward to it. I do hope it doesn't take quite as long to get the other half of the game though.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
I played like two hours of Hiveswap and then an update broke my save (it wouldn't let me use the phone), and the prospect of having to replay the beginning of the game again sounded so painful that I never went back.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I thought Hiveswap was really well designed in that respect. If you wanted to speed-run it, you can do the whole thing in like fifteen minutes. But if you wanted value for your money, there was a ridiculous amount of side-dialogue written. Thousands and thousands of missable comments based on using every item with every other item and every background object, whereas most games would just have like a "I can't use that with that" message.

They were even thematic! The key was a keepsake from your mom, so using the key on anything would either produce a memory about your mother, or foreshadowing about Doc Scratch.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
On the one hand I absolutely respect the work that went into writing all that but on the other hand every time I got a new item I had to go back and use it on every other item in every previous location and it was awful and momentum-sapping.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

If you're the kind of person whom is compelled to do that, it's unavoidable. Paper Mario similarly changed the dialog of every NPC after each chapter, sometimes even after visiting a minor town, and once you realize it, there's a fuckton of dialog. Undertale too. I appreciate it

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Spellman posted:

If you're the kind of person whom is compelled to do that, it's unavoidable. Paper Mario similarly changed the dialog of every NPC after each chapter, sometimes even after visiting a minor town, and once you realize it, there's a fuckton of dialog. Undertale too. I appreciate it

Honestly these are my favorite parts of games when they happen.

I like they idea of every NPC you meet having their own life and journey that's happening independently of you.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
one of the finer points of the meta-narrative of Homestuck's creation is the sublimely Icarusian arc that is Hiveswap (the sun in this metaphor is launching a video game kickstarter in 2012, the ocean is getting scammed out of several million dollars).

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Remember the Sburb Glitch FAQ? And the like two or three good fanfics/fanprojects?

Oh, and Freak Futanari's hilarious alternate ending?

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Remember the Sburb Glitch FAQ? And the like two or three good fanfics/fanprojects?

The "two or three good fanfics/fanprojects" had better include Detective Pony.

Also, Hiveswap Act 1 was cute and funny and definitely Homestuck, but if I could trade Hiveswap Act 1 for either not having all the pauses in Homestuck proper or the entirety of what was planned for Hiveswap in comic form, I'd do it in an instant.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

anything dorroile makes is unfunnily bad, sorry.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
What the absolute motherfuck is going on

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
I mean, with the Jake cuckolding scene

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
And well, everythihng

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Yeah Candy's a bit of a ride, hold on tight.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
Is Candy supposed to be non-canon and meat's canon? Is that what they mean?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Its Coke posted:

Look, each one is as real as the other let's leave it at that.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Its Coke posted:

That is the perfect question to be asking right now. One might say the best loving question anybody ever loving asked.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Candy's definitely "non-canon" but in a silly metaphysical rather than a literal way, because events in Candy cause things to happen in Meat. Whether Meat is canon or not is sort of up for debate, I guess. Arguably not because of the link to Candy? But arguably so, because it's the timeline that actually closes the book on Lord English.

But yeah, it's explicit from Alt Calliope that the defining factor of the Candy universe is that nothing that transpires there can be all three of relevant, essential, and true - Rose's three defining factors of what is "canon". If something relevant, true, and essential to the story were to happen in the Candy universe, the entire place would begin to collapse under the weight of the time paradox caused by John's failure to defeat Lord English.

As is, it's insulated from that time paradox by a sort of unreality field that limits everyone within it to doing, saying, thinking and feeling things that aren't real, necessary and important. It's sort of like Calliope took a trimming of a doomed timeline and deposited it in a plastic aquarium where it could wind its way out forever, but the oxygen mix is wrong in the plastic aquarium and now all the fish are freaking out.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Relevant, essential, and true....look, I know trying to predict Homestuck plot twists is a suckers game, but the three factors of canon lend themselves so well to the "secret third epilogue" theory.

Candy = Relevant (a contemporary look at the characters lives as they grow)

Meat = Essential (filling in the plot-holes of the story)

Pumpkin = True (????????)

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
sucking the dick of man's best friend: truest?????

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Sucking your own dick like some sort of glorious mobius ouroboros: The Ultimate Truth

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Sucking your own dick like some sort of glorious mobius ouroboros: The Ultimate Truth

:hmmyes:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Something about this "true, relevant, essential" thing is unclear just because it's hard to really grasp something being essential but irrelevant. I can see something being relevant without being essential, but not the reverse.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

GunnerJ posted:

Something about this "true, relevant, essential" thing is unclear just because it's hard to really grasp something being essential but irrelevant. I can see something being relevant without being essential, but not the reverse.

The birth of your great great great ancestor

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

GunnerJ posted:

Yeah, I've had the same thought. Maybe it covers what we'd normally consider to be assumed knowledge? Like, it's essential for the story to unfold as it does that Dave has a working circulatory system, but we don't need that fact clarified for us anywhere (and if we were to be told about Dave's healthy blood vessels by the narrative, we would find it strange and irrelevant).

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Android Blues posted:

Yeah, I've had the same thought. Maybe it covers what we'd normally consider to be assumed knowledge? Like, it's essential for the story to unfold as it does that Dave has a working circulatory system, but we don't need that fact clarified for us anywhere (and if we were to be told about Dave's healthy blood vessels by the narrative, we would find it strange and irrelevant).

So Rose made a big deal about "essential" being the more important part of the good/evil binary, with "evil" replaced by something unspeakable to her. I could see a world full of hosed up alternative circulatory systems and such being pretty horrible so I guess that works. What about this: it's essential to know what actually happened to Lord English in terms of how the plot unfolds, but irrelevant to the context where Rose bizarrely claims that Vriska killed him just because it seemed likely/fitting? Relevant vs. essential could also be about subjective vs. objective importance but I don't know what the epilogues consider an objective point of view, especially since it seems to be a lot about how important subjectivity is.

Stormgale posted:

The birth of your great great great ancestor

This works too but it just reminds me of the hosed up alt history story about the characters' ancestors and Hitler and sex slaves and whatever people were talking about a while back. Possibly it was all essential to the plot in some convoluted way but why would anyone ever need to really reflect on that.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 13:35 on May 3, 2019

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

If you meet the Canon on the road, you must kiill the Canon.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

GunnerJ posted:

This works too but it just reminds me of the hosed up alt history story about the characters' ancestors and Hitler and sex slaves and whatever people were talking about a while back. Possibly it was all essential to the plot in some convoluted way but why would anyone ever need to really reflect on that.

I'd argue that all that information is relevant to the plot, but it's not essential that you know it.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

Its Coke posted:

Scrree fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 3, 2019

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

"I am not meaningless because I told you I am not meaningless," says meaningless character

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Clawtopsy posted:

"I am not meaningless because I told you I am not meaningless," says meaningless character

don't talk about my clown husband that way. i won't stand for it

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Clawtopsy posted:

get a load of this little green toilet elf that thinks he’s prince of the lilypod

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Most of the discussion of canonicity, essentiality, relevance and so on that occurs within the text is just sort of playing around and exploring ideas, they don't actually control what we perceive as the "real" story. The reason the epilogues matter to us is because they've got Hussie's name on them, they're on his site, and he seems to be somewhat involved in writing them or putting his approval on them or whatever - otherwise we wouldn't think of them as much different than anything else you could read on the very fanfiction websites it's parodying.

So accepting that the reason we care about the epilogues is the imprimatur of the author and that they're presented as some sort of continuation to Homestuck, the framing of Meat and Candy as being a split between canon and non-canon is really just a theme used to explore what those ideas mean rather than actual properties they have.

That the split was itself a necessary event probably instigated by Dead Calliope, Rose, and Roxy to defeat Dirk and escape the bonds of Lord English's morass of causality shows that the actual story (the thing Hussie & Co. are presenting) incorporates both branches as a whole. The overall story is about highly meta-narrative-sensitive characters shaping and weaponizing concepts like canon as part of their final evolution from subjects of narrative to authors of it.

Meat is only "essential" because it closes the loop on events within Homestuck proper, things like how Lord English is defeated. This epilogue could, hypothetically, just be the story in Meat, grinding through Rose's list of loose ends. But within the context of the epilogues, Candy is also made "essential", because that's the narrative pocket from which Calliope is operating, and she's fighting a metanarrative war with Dirk over control of the main timeline. This metanarrative conflict is part of what gives this story tension and makes it worth telling over just being a dry recounting of how John closes the last causal loop.

Even if we need Candy as a metanarrative staging ground, none of the events going on inside the bubble matter to anyone outside of it - a bubble which only survives thanks to Calliope's sense of duty. Instead, it's a space for the authors to explore what the characters might get up to unburdened from the obligations of Homestuck's "main plot", so obviously those events end up being bittersweet and full of introspection and existential musing. The events within Candy aren't "essential" in in-universe terms, but they're certainly essential to the story the authors are telling to provide a counterpoint to the story told in Meat.

Side note: it's kind of odd to think that Calliope was just hanging around Candy and seems to not mind people like Aradia or Sollux hanging out with her if they want to be close to the action. For all John's existential angst, if he was actually able to think through what was going on in the multiverse and followed up on leads he had like the events at teen Jade's funeral, he might've actually gotten the chance to be relevant again, if he wanted.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Do you think Caliborn dancing with Lil' Cal was kind of like him trying to masturbate? I mean, he was basically raised by Leprechauns (or at the very least spent his most formative teenage years around The Felt) and in Homestuck lore Leprechauns use dancing to form both romantic and sexual relationships. So, when Caliborn danced with that puppet was it the alien equivalent of a teenager trying to jerk-off into a sock? Is that what John poofed in on? "The final battle" (that isn't actually that final at all) being proceeded by a failed attempt at masturbation feels somehow thematically appropriate for the epilogues given they also contain quite a few anti-climaxes.

Anyway, I thought of this and I decided to post it. I feel like if it has to be in my brain it should have to be in yours too. I'm kind of an rear end in a top hat like that.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

what in tarnation

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

My hunch was correct, v was ipgd all along, and hoo LORDY are teenagers mad about it

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I don't know what those letters mean.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I don't know what those letters mean.

v is a writer who worked on a couple of Friendsim episodes and the epilogues, and is also ipgd, who leaked the info about The Odd Gentlemen and what they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Plom Bar posted:

v is a writer who worked on a couple of Friendsim episodes and the epilogues, and is also ipgd, who leaked the info about The Odd Gentlemen and what they did.

Oh. Why are teenagers mad about that?