Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
yeah the skin tone thing was a disappointment

Anyone know if there is a weapon that is really comparable to either the fork or the brandistock from chiv? those were my two fav weapons and they are absent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fox Cunning
Jun 21, 2006

salt-induced orgasm in the mouth
To be honest, the skin tones aren't that bad. The darkest one has a tone suggesting that the bearer might have seen a moor or similar at a point in his life.

ninja edit: there isn't a sling is there? It was the poo poo in chivalry. Both reloadable and perfect aim while running.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Fox Cunning posted:

To be honest, the skin tones aren't that bad. The darkest one has a tone suggesting that the bearer might have seen a moor or similar at a point in his life.

ninja edit: there isn't a sling is there? It was the poo poo in chivalry. Both reloadable and perfect aim while running.

The darkest one is a light tan on a swedish man.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

You can't be a dusky southern Italian condotierre, a failure of immersion.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Any tips for survival mode? I get totally owned and the hoe is very unwieldy

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Sharkopath posted:

You can't be a dusky southern Italian condotierre, a failure of immersion.

You can't even be a southern French chevalier with these tones. Can guarantee your dude has never even once heard of an olive, skin or fruit

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Jarvisi posted:

Any tips for survival mode? I get totally owned and the hoe is very unwieldy

Always have a good hoe by your side, A good tip is to drag closer during the swing so you make contact faster, the AI doesn't panic parry so it's more useful than against normal players. Instead of giving ground I charge towards groups of enemies and go towards their middle/flanks, pruning as I move around them and just out of reach.

You'll get mad kills until you finally make a mistake and a scythe sneaks up on you for a decapitation, and then you have to sit around while the smarter but also unbearably boring archer players kite the mobs and pick them off one by one for the next 15 minutes.

Pursued by bees
Jan 1, 2013

heartful of fire
with no one left to tell

Babe Magnet posted:

It tells you how to do that in the tutorial, I'd do it if you haven't you get like 10 decent matches worth of gold if you do.

It does? Huh. I must've missed that since I did do the tutorial first thing when I booted up the game. There's a lot to digest when you're starting out, but I'm slowly starting to get the hang of this.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
https://www.reddit.com/r/Mordhau/comments/bkbn8w/can_we_not/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Mighty Dicktron posted:

You can't even be a southern French chevalier with these tones. Can guarantee your dude has never even once heard of an olive, skin or fruit

Yeah gently caress this. Was having fun but just refunded until the devs address this with a patch.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Squeezy Farm posted:

Yeah gently caress this. Was having fun but just refunded until the devs address this with a patch.

lol, not that anyone wants you to play, but I'm pretty sure they said they were gonna add more tones and also add female models to the game.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
The fact that it didn't launch with extensive skin tones is fuckin' embarrassing. There's a lot of things in the creation of video game art that are in fact pretty hard, but you know? Hue shifting textures isn't one of them.

And their excuse that they'll be put in alongside the cultures' weapons and armor that they allegedly represent is, again, just perpetuating a (very common and very racist in origin) revisionist take on historical Europe, in that "of course no one outside of those cultures ever used them or traveled anywhere."

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the stick is surprisingly good, the one you can choose with the peasant perk. Both the 1h and 2h version. I don't know if it's the weird model throwing people off or if it has some weird swing properties but dudes just can't stop getting bonked in the head with it.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

People need to read a book. Maurice Druon's Accursed Kings series takes place in the 1320s and shows how Lombards (Italians) interacted with France and England, even the Holy Roman Empire etc. It's very well cited too.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

If you're with a group of teammates then I disagree. When two groups are squaring off and you get spooked off because you missed a parry it causes the rest of the group to die because the enemy just opened up a hole and they aren't going to chase you, they'll flank and wipe your group.. You'll live but your team will lose the fight, had you held a teammate could have opened up their line and you'd have relief.

I think I trust my teammates to not break immediately too much.

It's probably important to clarify what people mean by "disengage" here. Disengaging in teamfights is extremely important, but you should always stay very close to the fight. Far away enough to heal, but not so far that you can't step in to help if they catch on to any holes in the line.

Although when facing heavy weapon enemies with lighter armor it's kind of a wash. You may as well stick to the fight because the next hit will OHK you regardless of your health.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Chiv vets are just the worst lmao

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The more I learn about spacing and chambering, the more I prefer fighting lightly armored guys with heavy weapons. Sure they'll 2-hit you if you gently caress up (or 1-hit your lightly armored head) but they're also going to go down quickly once you start getting hits in. Heavy armor guys just hold you in place while you fight and then their team jumps you lol

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

The darkest one is a light tan on a swedish man.

Yeah, even the darkest option is super pasty. Even aside from having a selection of natural skin tones, you can't even get the look of someone who actually works outside which y'know, was the overwhelming majority of the medieval population.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Babe Magnet posted:

The more I learn about spacing and chambering, the more I prefer fighting lightly armored guys with heavy weapons. Sure they'll 2-hit you if you gently caress up (or 1-hit your lightly armored head) but they're also going to go down quickly once you start getting hits in. Heavy armor guys just hold you in place while you fight and then their team jumps you lol

I honestly cannot consistently chamber anything but stabs and I cannot figure out the timing for the life of me

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I want them to add turkish stuff so I can shoot racists with guns while wearing a big funnyhat. Being black would also be good, too

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

eonwe posted:

I honestly cannot consistently chamber anything but stabs and I cannot figure out the timing for the life of me

It varies a lot not just by weapon and reach and all that but every once in a while you'll come across someone who actually knows how to drag and accelerate and that just throws the whole thing off. I can only really deal with those people on duel servers because there's just too much going on in the other game modes lol

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Stokes posted:

Of all the weapons, the one that gives me the most trouble to parry is the Executioner Sword. It has such an awkward swing timing.

That one trips me up too sometimes, but what really messes me up is the war axe (the one with two heads). I underestimate it's reach almost every time.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah the flanged mace hits a lot further than it looks like it would too.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

CuddleCryptid posted:

It's probably important to clarify what people mean by "disengage" here. Disengaging in teamfights is extremely important, but you should always stay very close to the fight. Far away enough to heal, but not so far that you can't step in to help if they catch on to any holes in the line.

Although when facing heavy weapon enemies with lighter armor it's kind of a wash. You may as well stick to the fight because the next hit will OHK you regardless of your health.

I'm just bitter because the most common thing I scream at my monitor is "STAY IN THE FIGHT YOU COWARDS" strangely, a close second is "STOP loving RUNNING INTO MY SWING/FIRING LINE"

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I like the little dialogues you can have with the basic voice lines.

Enemy engineer set up a ballista overlooking our point and took aim at me, I managed to zig and zag and get out of the arc and ran up to him but then instead of just attacking did a greeting, pointed at the ballista and said no a bunch, they replied sorry, and then i broke it and ran back down to the point while they ran off.

A small play in 1 act.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Sharkopath posted:

I like the little dialogues you can have with the basic voice lines.

Enemy engineer set up a ballista overlooking our point and took aim at me, I managed to zig and zag and get out of the arc and ran up to him but then instead of just attacking did a greeting, pointed at the ballista and said no a bunch, they replied sorry, and then i broke it and ran back down to the point while they ran off.

A small play in 1 act.

Is there a way to inform other players about the upcoming harvesting season?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

eonwe posted:

The people who do it consistently have been playing Mordhau EA for 2 years and however many years of Mount and Blade before that. At the beginning you should really on focus on parrying and stab chambers.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

if you want to have a good time, buy yourself a crossbow and make an enemy archer hunting build with the bonus damage to enemies with quivers and some heavy armor to fight off them doing the same do you. Your team with thank you, the enemy team will be upset because not only do they have a ton of archers but the archers are just dying constantly, and there will be a net loss of archers which is a good thing.

I got to 20 before a horseman ran me down last night.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

I really loving hate horses in this game.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

It sucks that they get a speed bonus to their damage but you don't get the same, like in M&B. At least horse HP doesn't regenerate.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Babe Magnet posted:

It sucks that they get a speed bonus to their damage but you don't get the same, like in M&B. At least horse HP doesn't regenerate.

They should totally eat poo poo when they get speared or the like and they should be able to be spawned with a loadout. Let people horse it up and let them die to spears. It worked great in War of the Roses.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah and make it so more than just the billhook dismounts them. Like the halberd should totally be ripping dudes off the horse.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah and make it so more than just the billhook dismounts them. Like the halberd should totally be ripping dudes off the horse.

100%, polearms with few exceptions should absolutely loving ruin a horseman's day. Add the ability to ready for a charge too. Also add horse armor so that little poo poo can't hard counter horses but slow them down, etc etc.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The exception to that, that you mentioned, should definitely be the short spear. It does not need to be stronger lol

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Horses feel like such an anomaly because so much of the game is so tightly tuned and balanced but it feels like they just dropped horses in without much thought. What's especially funny is that lances feel kinda irrelevant. Most polearms can couch just as well but with the added benefit of also being able to attack normally, which is brutally effective with slashing polearms like the halberd or poleaxe.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
If you pick the peasant perk does it give a damage bonus to the weapons you can use as a peasant or is it a straight RP style debuff.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

debuff, though the peasant weapons can be okay in their own right. The sticks are surprisingly effective, and the scythe has pole-arm reach with a good swing speed. Frying pan makes fun sounds when you bonk people with it.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Babe Magnet posted:

debuff, though the peasant weapons can be okay in their own right. The sticks are surprisingly effective, and the scythe has pole-arm reach with a good swing speed. Frying pan makes fun sounds when you bonk people with it.

Can the scythe get around shields? I could have sworn I took somebody's head off when he had his shield up, but he may have dropped it right as the hit landed.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

oh gently caress I didn't even think about that, gonna have to do some research

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Can the scythe get around shields? I could have sworn I took somebody's head off when he had his shield up, but he may have dropped it right as the hit landed.

You can swing over shields unlike most games, it's just the shield not a magic hitbox, depending on the elevations involved you can totally behead somebody over their shield.