Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

finally got round to filling the bath tub, huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

This picture triggers me, not because the house is collapsing, but because the picture is tilted, yet doesn't match the tilt of the pillars.

My Lovely Horse posted:

finally got round to filling the bath tub, huh

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Bad Munki posted:

Bob's Building Co. is announcing it is declaring bankruptcy and will be closing immediately.

In entirely unrelated news, Bill's Bobding Co. is now open for business!

The new, sky-high insurance premiums for Bob to run any present/future contracting business will probably bankrupt him personally, but the homeowners will be made whole by InsuranceCo guaranteed by the bond.

That's why you make sure your contractors are licensed, bonded, and insured. Joe the handyman you found on Nextdoor would skate out of there faster than your homeowner's insurance would deny your claim, or worse, he'd be hurt/killed by the falling roof, and now him/his family are suing you personally as well. Since Joe isn't going to pull permits either, your local township/county is just going to laugh at you as you face complete destitution.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

B-Nasty posted:

Since Joe isn't going to pull permits either, your local township/county is just going to laugh at you as you face complete destitution.

Nope. They're going to tell you "you need 24x7 site security until you get a fence up, and you have 7 days to remove this, and you need a demo permit."

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Motronic posted:

Nope. They're going to tell you "you need 24x7 site security until you get a fence up, and you have 7 days to remove this, and you need a demo permit."

At which point *I* would declare bankruptcy and now the city owns the house.
I know it doesn't work this way.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Ashcans posted:

It didn't stop there!

Article with more pictures and information.

Whoops! Hope that contractor has the insurance to cover leveling a home, or that the home insurance provides coverage.

Most ISO HO-3 homeowner's insurance policies cover collapse while in the course of construction.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

Blindeye posted:

I asked this in the home ownership thread but may as well ask here. I have an attached garage and have only the fire barrier wall covered in drywall. The rest was unfinished, so I put in electrical and insulation, but I haven't made up my mind about cladding the walls. Drywall is the safest option but a pain in the rear end and plywood/osb would be easier for setting up my wall storage. The building code says walls adjacent to living spaces must be drywall, which I take to mean just the one wall.

Any thoughts on what you'd recommend? I use it for woodworking so the space will likely take some abuse but I already keep a fire extinguisher there and don't store liquid flammables in large quantities (<1gallon of solvents and stains).

This was mostly answered already, but keep in mind that type X drywall 5/8 thick will have a 1 hour burn through time, while regular 1/2 drywall has 30 minutes.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

The Gardenator posted:

This was mostly answered already, but keep in mind that type X drywall 5/8 thick will have a 1 hour burn through time, while regular 1/2 drywall has 30 minutes.

Can always put on multiple layers of drywall

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Can someone explain the diodes in parallel thing?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

technically explain? yes.

morally/logically? not a loving chance.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Queen Combat posted:

Can someone explain the diodes in parallel thing?

When the voltage between one side of a diode and the other reaches a certain threshold, the diode will allow current across.

Say this threshold is 0.7 V.

Put 0.69 V (nice) across the diode, and you’ll get 0 V on the otherwise.

Put 0.8 V across, and you’ll get 0.1 V on the other side.

Diodes are directional, and ideally they don’t let any current go the wrong way.

Key to understanding why wiring a bunch of diodes together is bad is

1) the threshold for every diode, even of the same model and batch, is slightly different

and

2) diodes present very little resistance to current once their threshold is crossed.

So what happens is that one of the diodes in that bundle will reach its threshold first and conduct all the current. The others will do nothing. They won’t share the load. The first diode will fail from overheating, and then the same cycle will continue with the diode that formerly had the second‐lowest threshold.

It’s like if you have a dyke along a river. Rising water isn’t going to overtop it all along its length simultaneously and gently trickle down a face a kilometre in length.. There’s going to be one spot that happens to be slightly lower, and that spot is going to get overtopped and quickly eroded.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Platystemon posted:

It’s like if you have a dyke along a river. Rising water isn’t going to overtop it all along its length simultaneously and gently trickle down a face a kilometre in length.. There’s going to be one spot that happens to be slightly lower, and that spot is going to get overtopped and quickly eroded.

Diodes also are weird in that they'll want .7 volts across them no matter what, so when they get hot, they conduct less, so they steal more current to keep that 0.7 volt drop, so they get hotter so they steal more current, and very rapidly end up releasing the magical blue smoke in rapid progression.

The picture is less a useful thing that'll work and more a really creative incense burner if you really love the smell of fried power electronics.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

for those of you with lots of smaller sized screwdrivers and bits - try a roll-up pencil or brush case. that's helped me keep track of all my small screwdrivers including the torx and pentalobe and security and that one bit where I think part of it is in a dimension that doesn't exist

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Platystemon posted:

When the voltage between one side of a diode and the other reaches a certain threshold, the diode will allow current across.

Say this threshold is 0.7 V.

Put 0.69 V (nice) across the diode, and you’ll get 0 V on the otherwise.

Put 0.8 V across, and you’ll get 0.1 V on the other side.

Diodes are directional, and ideally they don’t let any current go the wrong way.

Key to understanding why wiring a bunch of diodes together is bad is

1) the threshold for every diode, even of the same model and batch, is slightly different

and

2) diodes present very little resistance to current once their threshold is crossed.

So what happens is that one of the diodes in that bundle will reach its threshold first and conduct all the current. The others will do nothing. They won’t share the load. The first diode will fail from overheating, and then the same cycle will continue with the diode that formerly had the second‐lowest threshold.

Unfortunately, this is simplification is actually incorrect for a few reasons:

1. You can't just consider the nominal forward voltage of the diode, you need to look at the IV curve. If you have two slightly-mismatched diodes, one won't be fully on and the other fully off--they'll both conduct, but they'll conduct unequally.

2. The diodes have series resistance, which allows an even larger range of mismatched diodes to conduct. The resistance comes from the wire leads, the wire-to-die bond resistance, stuff like that. The more current through an individual diode, the greater the voltage drop--this helps normalize the equivalent impedance of each diode at a given voltage.

This was obviously implemented in an awful way here and seems a great way to cause a short. Paralleling a bunch of diodes is something that gets done (presumably because it's sometimes cheaper than buying actual power rectifiers connected to actual heatsinks), but it has limitations afaik:

1. The diodes need to be strongly thermally coupled with each other. If there's a significant temperature difference, it can make the current sharing even worse.

2. You need to either design for the worst mismatch (taking into account temperature mismatch too) based on the diode specs, use matched sets of diodes, or use a lot more diodes than is necessary as a factor of safety (ensuring that at least a certain portion are reasonably matched).

EDIT: Slight correction--thermal coupling is of largest concern with schottky diodes, since their forward voltage will drop with temperature, leading to increased current when paralled (which leads their temperature increasing even faster, which also increases the current and then you get thermal runaway i guess)

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 29, 2019

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Diodes also are weird in that they'll want .7 volts across them no matter what, so when they get hot, they conduct less, so they steal more current to keep that 0.7 volt drop, so they get hotter so they steal more current, and very rapidly end up releasing the magical blue smoke in rapid progression.

The picture is less a useful thing that'll work and more a really creative incense burner if you really love the smell of fried power electronics.

That's just fuckin' poetic right there.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My friend's road is getting all dug up because ti's developed a bunch of sink holes and a few houses can't flush their toilets so something has gotten hosed up. Turns out what's happened is rats. Hundreds, thousands of rats have made burrows under the road, some how tunneled through old concrete, and have now broken pipes due to the shifting ground.

From the city worker's description almost the entirety of the road is resting on a carpet of rats.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Baronjutter posted:

My friend's road is getting all dug up because ti's developed a bunch of sink holes and a few houses can't flush their toilets so something has gotten hosed up. Turns out what's happened is rats. Hundreds, thousands of rats have made burrows under the road, some how tunneled through old concrete, and have now broken pipes due to the shifting ground.

From the city worker's description almost the entirety of the road is resting on a carpet of rats.

The stuff nightmares are made up. Where is this?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

GreenNight posted:

The stuff nightmares are made up. Where is this?

Victoria BC. We have some extremely old and poorly kept infrastructure under our roads. Like wooden pipes and 100+ year old masonry storm drains that haven't been touched since they were built and a lot of it is falling apart at the same time now.

Most of the city is fairly rocky, but my friend's neighbourhood is mostly clay and her road is easily 100+ years old and was basically just paved over and over on top of a foundation of a lovely clay and gravel wagon trail.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Baronjutter posted:

Victoria BC. We have some extremely old and poorly kept infrastructure under our roads. Like wooden pipes and 100+ year old masonry storm drains that haven't been touched since they were built and a lot of it is falling apart at the same time now.

Most of the city is fairly rocky, but my friend's neighbourhood is mostly clay and her road is easily 100+ years old and was basically just paved over and over on top of a foundation of a lovely clay and gravel wagon trail.

This is how the Ratpocalypse happens isn't it? Millions of rat-creature type aliens are going to flood out of that road when they open it up and then will head south, sweeping the entire west coast and devouring everything and everyone. Any survivors will succumb to plague.Then, instead of heading to Mexico, the will hit the border wall and start working their way east, where they will meet up with the colonies of rats living under the East Coast cities. With a the Rat King already occupying the white house, there will be no effective resistance effort. The entirety of the US and Canada (below the arctic circle) will be devoured.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

therobit posted:

This is how the Ratpocalypse happens isn't it? Millions of rat-creature type aliens are going to flood out of that road when they open it up and then will head south, sweeping the entire west coast and devouring everything and everyone. Any survivors will succumb to plague.Then, instead of heading to Mexico, the will hit the border wall and start working their way east, where they will meet up with the colonies of rats living under the East Coast cities. With a the Rat King already occupying the white house, there will be no effective resistance effort. The entirety of the US and Canada (below the arctic circle) will be devoured.

It's called the Vermintide.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Plastik posted:

Do I get to be a flamethrower dwarf?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://i.imgur.com/Q2pw4v6.gifv

e: I thought I was in the OSHA thread but I’m leaving it.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

https://i.imgur.com/Q2pw4v6.gifv

e: I thought I was in the OSHA thread but Im leaving it.

That is hella fuckin cool though

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

lmao :sadpeanut:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Plastik posted:

Zerg rush.

Nuevo posted:

That is hella fuckin cool though

It is, it's just the amazing lack of safety gear while handling molten metal. Grinding face mask that will melt instantly, no apron, no gloves. Yikes.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I thought molten metal plus water equals explosion???

BRB

E: :supaburn:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Wasabi the J posted:

I thought molten metal plus water equals explosion???

BRB

E: :supaburn:

I think there's not actually water in there, just the spheres themselves are water-gel-things?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Also it's aluminium, which melts at a relatively low temperature (as you can tell from the lack of glowing redness).

If you poured molten iron into a tank of gel beads your life would get exciting.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Let's just douse poo poo in lox and set it on fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ab3hyDKsj0

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Are they just wearing nitrile gloves, or is there some similar product that might actually provide (some) protection? I mean I think I know the answer but I'm hoping...

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
The pyromaniac in me is fascinated by this. I do love how their safety and science adviser is a an undergrad student still working on their degree.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Aluminum coral?

Them fishes gon' get alzheimers.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

wesleywillis posted:

Aluminum coral?

Them fishes gon' get alzheimers.

it doesn't seem like a smart thing to do...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

It looks like an ugly building on piers. What am I missing?

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Motronic posted:

I don't know if this is what Platystemon was thinking about, but holy hell is that a weird window setup on that side of the building. There are like, five different types of windows used and the entire left half has zero windows for some reason.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Groverhotel

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Turtlicious posted:

Let's just douse poo poo in lox and set it on fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ab3hyDKsj0

Ugh, the king of random. Can’t stand that channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Motronic posted:

Is that not enough? It's hideous!