Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
The only stuff I listen on Earwolf is CBB and HH, and CBB can be iffy. As for comedic stuff, I've been listen to more Headgum stuff recently with Doughboys, High & Mighty (can be iffy at times), and Dumbbells. There's something about mid-level (in terms of career) LA improv comedians talking about life in between other stuff that does it for me I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I just wish that any of those mid-level LA improv comics had an idea for a podcast that was more than getting one or two other comics with incredibly similar sensibilities and talking around a subject that neither of them knows much about but has a lot of enthusiasm for. Like, would it kill 'em to hook up with someone who is an expert in the field? Or do a little research? Or put in any effort beyond just showing up? Don't get me wrong, I love HH and I know a lot of folks love the Doughboys but I'm so tired of fuckaround podcasts.

For the handful of episodes of How Did This Get Made that I enjoyed it was always because it was a bunch of goofballs and Scheer who actually did a decent amount of research beforehand, so it makes sense that he jumped onto a podcast that required a modicum of knowledge about film. In that vein, with the brilliance of ADPPP and Superego in mind I just really want Matt Gourley to drop the dead weight that is Matt Mira and start any other podcast.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'm one of the few people here who still likes HDTGM (though I hope they stop having Seth Rogan on) but on Unspooled it's clear he actually has a lot of knowledge and a lot of interest in movies and movie-making, and I wasn't really expecting that from him just from HDTGM alone.

Also, given that Unspooled essentially replaced The Canon, Scheer is leagues beyond Devin Faraci. I actually think the format of Unspooled is a much better fit for Amy Nicholson, too.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
Gourley and LeMarche are so funny together on James Bonding, that's a podcast right there

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Hollywood Handbook, the Pro Version, and Teachers Lounge are auto listens for me. I always get around to catching up on the Flagrant Ones and I4H eventually. And then there are the seasonal/limited run shows that I also always listen to all of....but since I never know when they are coming around....I usually have to catch up. These include Hollywood Masterclass, Andy Daly PPP, Superego, Mission to Zyxx, and other much shorter things like Strictly Business and Stolen Idea.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I keep dipping in and out of CBB, it's a vicious cycle.

Somehow I'm good enough at that to have caught all but like two of the eps featured in the best of 2018 though, so I guess I'm doing something right. After using the premium RSS feeds I find I've been skipping fewer and fewer weeks, I used to think I didn't mind the ads but maybe they were low-key getting on my nerves?

Chairman Capone posted:

I'm one of the few people here who still likes HDTGM (though I hope they stop having Seth Rogan on) but on Unspooled it's clear he actually has a lot of knowledge and a lot of interest in movies and movie-making, and I wasn't really expecting that from him just from HDTGM alone.

Also, given that Unspooled essentially replaced The Canon, Scheer is leagues beyond Devin Faraci. I actually think the format of Unspooled is a much better fit for Amy Nicholson, too.

I only recently dove into Unspooled but I've been liking it a lot. I enjoyed The Canon to some degree but Unspooled is way better + none of the hosts are sexpests. Have they talked about what their plans are once they get through the AFI 100? I'd love for them to keep doing the show with whatever movies they think are interesting enough to dedicate a full episode to.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Srice posted:

I only recently dove into Unspooled but I've been liking it a lot. I enjoyed The Canon to some degree but Unspooled is way better + none of the hosts are sexpests. Have they talked about what their plans are once they get through the AFI 100? I'd love for them to keep doing the show with whatever movies they think are interesting enough to dedicate a full episode to.
There's always the episodes that dropped off the list when it was updated in 2007 after the initial list in 1997. And the AFI does have too ten lists of various genres that include movies not on the main list.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Fezz posted:

There's always the episodes that dropped off the list when it was updated in 2007 after the initial list in 1997. And the AFI does have too ten lists of various genres that include movies not on the main list.

Oh cool, that's good to hear.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I just listen to Dash Grabum clips on YouTube.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
:stare: Superego on Off Book

e: also HH was amazing today.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Apr 30, 2019

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Tony Hale was electric. What a performer.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

UP AND ADAM posted:

Tony Hale was electric. What a performer.

It's been quite some time since they've had a guest who's really leaned so hard into the antagonism. Love it.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Magissima posted:

For me CBB is still the funniest podcast out there, but it just takes so long to get to the good stuff and Scott's intros have gotten beyond tedious.

Yeah, I think it's still a great format and he often has great guests and I even like Scott, but I wish he'd dial back on some of his corny bits and let the guests shine. The show's running time could probably stand to be trimmed a bit in general imo, but despite my complaints I'm glad Scott's heart still seems to be in it and he plans to do it for a long time. Even if I won't be a weekly listener, I agree that at its best it's probably still the funniest podcast, and from reading recent reviews with him it seems like he's aware that bringing in new voices is a big part of what keeps the show relevant.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I read the title if this week's pro version and I just knew Anastasia Vigo was going to get name dropped.

I wasn't disappointed.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

feedmyleg posted:

It's been quite some time since they've had a guest who's really leaned so hard into the antagonism. Love it.

Agreed. It's great when the boys have to think on the spot when the guest stops playing along. It usually ends with them playing the superior which always leads to major laughs.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I've definitely dipped out on CBB, but will still listen if I recognize a guest or like one of the performers. I think I might be sick of Scott though, or at least the character of Scott because I still like Threedom pretty well.

I'm really liking Hollywood Handbook now that I've started listening to it more regularly, but it still takes having a guest I know to make a point of listening to it. They've been really killing it with the guests the last few months though.

The pro version is also incredibly good.

I'm catching up on The Teachers' Lounge too, and I can't believe I slept on it for so long. It's so good.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

SpacePig posted:

I'm catching up on The Teachers' Lounge too, and I can't believe I slept on it for so long. It's so good.
I'm on my third relisten of the whole thing right now, I love it so much.

Hopefully we got more eps coming soon!

https://twitter.com/BigGrandeUCB/status/1123702378056884224

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

N-thing the love of Teachers Lounge. The best ultra long form podcast I've ever listened to. There's nothing quite like someone in the room saying in like episode 2 that Todd Padre is 72 years old and Dan having to run with that concept for the remainder of the show.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Yeah but he looks a 103

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I wish they didn't immediately shift the setting from Hell to a Mall last season.
It was fine, but if there's any setting you can go crazy in, it's probably Hell.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Teachers lounge is so good

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Speakin' of teacher's lounge, Special Guest With Lapkus is comin' back on the eleventh on stitcher premium, hell yeah

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I wish they didn't immediately shift the setting from Hell to a Mall last season.
It was fine, but if there's any setting you can go crazy in, it's probably Hell.

I thought they pretty clearly had no ideas for Hell. I could see how there might be range, but if inspiration isn't striking best to jump off.

My favourite bit is when they break into high pitched tears about how their daddys don't love them. Crying laughing at that.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I was at work yesterday, listening to Ego's first episode of Teacher's Lounge where she's the irate parent. I thought "I've heard this 10 times, minimum, it can't make me break into a belly laugh anymore."

And then Ego said "I swear to God, I'll get outta here so fast, you'll never see my face again," Drew shot back with "GOOD. GO." and something about the intensity in his (ridiculous) voice sent me into a fit. It's the show that keeps on giving.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
The Ego episode is on the same level as The Travel Bug with August Lindt, they make me cry laughing no matter how many times I've heard them.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

The Peccadillo posted:

Speakin' of teacher's lounge, Special Guest With Lapkus is comin' back on the eleventh on stitcher premium, hell yeah
If you unsubscribed to the old feed, there's a 2 minute episode where Lauren announces it and some of the guests... for a minute, then Aukerman has a minute-long ad for his 10 hour long anniversary special.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

EL BROMANCE posted:

N-thing the love of Teachers Lounge. The best ultra long form podcast I've ever listened to. There's nothing quite like someone in the room saying in like episode 2 that Todd Padre is 72 years old and Dan having to run with that concept for the remainder of the show.

It's amazing. Those guys are crazy good.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Just a reminder that if you've never listened to the Andy Daly L Ron Hubbard episodes of The Dead Authors Podcast, you're missing out on what may be the funniest podcast episodes of all time.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

feedmyleg posted:

Just a reminder that if you've never listened to the Andy Daly L Ron Hubbard episodes of The Dead Authors Podcast, you're missing out on what may be the funniest podcast episodes of all time.

are you trying to enturbulate me

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I started listening to a few Off Book episodes. The Flula Borg one was really good. I'd recommend that one if anyone wants to try Off Book.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Chairman Capone posted:

I started listening to a few Off Book episodes. The Flula Borg one was really good. I'd recommend that one if anyone wants to try Off Book.

First one's the best one, which is so weird for a podcast

E: I just went to go listened to it and apparently the pilot "Shrugging Destiny with PFT" is the second episode now

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 5, 2019

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBRqfdMDbvw

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I cant remember laughing at a podcast harder than Chief's "What?" after BoneQueef's name explanation in the 10th anniversary episode.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Paul Zuvella posted:

I cant remember laughing at a podcast harder than Chief's "What?" after BoneQueef's name explanation in the 10th anniversary episode.

Yeah that sticks out so much as such a perfect response.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I wonder how the 10th Anniversary episode will be handled when it comes to the end of year rundown.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I haven't listened to the episode, and I'm sure it's funny, but I just realized how much I don't like Doug Benson when I saw his name for the HH episode.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I haven't listened to the episode, and I'm sure it's funny, but I just realized how much I don't like Doug Benson when I saw his name for the HH episode.

First time i didn't want to listen to HH

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

SunshineDanceParty posted:

This is how I feel any time I see Sean and Hayes listed on shows I like.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
Get that poo poo out of the HH thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Get 'im, boys! We'll show him who is the most annoying fanbase in podcasting!

Also, Doug isn't so bad on the ep even though I usually find him grating (though the Doug Loves Movies series with PFT as Herzog is worth powering through). Some good sponsor talk that makes it worth it, at least.