Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

This is cute. Have I heard yellow kid’s voice somewhere before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

readingatwork posted:

This is cute. Have I heard yellow kid’s voice somewhere before?

Depends. Does the word "honor" sound familiar?

Dante Basco

(I waited for the credits for the same reason)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm the only one who's seen the old Where's Wally cartoon, probably. I have seen a lot of old 90s cartoons no one's heard of before or since that I only remember when some barely relevant topic comes up, for that matter. It made a few jokes about whenever someone couldn't remember Wally's name Waldo would always come up.

Larryb posted:

Speaking of which, wasn’t he still Odlaw in the European version as well as opposed to Yllaw (I know this was the case for the original 90’s cartoon at any rate)? Though to be fair, "Odlaw" is a pretty good name in and of itself.

Yeah, he was. And it does make for a nice villain name.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I think I remember seeing an episode or two of that as a kid (it apparently only ran for 13 episodes), it seemed fun though and I remember the fourth wall being barely existent (the narrator was a character in his own right and would often speak directly to the main cast and they would respond to him).

Also is there a particular reason why the character is called Waldo in the US and Wally in the UK? It always seemed kind of arbitrary to me.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 27, 2019

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Larryb posted:

I think I remember seeing an episode or two of that as a kid (it apparently only ran for 13 episodes), it seemed fun though and I remember the fourth wall being barely existent (the narrator was a character in his own right and would often speak directly to the main cast and they would respond to him).

Also is there a particular reason why the character is called Waldo in the US and Wally in the UK? It always seemed kind of arbitrary to me.

the character was Wally to start, and they just decided to call him Waldo when bringing it over to the states cuz localizations Just Know Better.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Aw poo poo we've got actual Amphibia clips:

https://twitter.com/DisneyTVA/status/1122270903826563079

https://twitter.com/DisneyTVA/status/1122271748341235712

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I really dig how Amphibia looks so far, but it kinda feels like there's very little interest or excitement around it which is kind of a shame. Admittedly I don't think the clip shown is earth-shattering to begin with (just overall competent, with well-paced animation to boot), so that could be a contributing factor I suppose but there's definitely a distinct lack of any kind of buzz around the show and that makes me concerned this'll just end up buried beneath the crop of more high-profile upcoming shows.

Of course, Disney's only really starting their advertising for it so it's got plenty of time to build up hype but I still think the obvious comparison show The Owl House already has more interest despite that being much further out and having no footage released whatsoever so far.

Ruflux fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 29, 2019

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Rest in Peace Chris Reccardi

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Been watching Steven Universe again and it’s got me wondering. When do you think we’ll get a gay protagonist in a kid’s cartoon*? It has to be soon right? Hell, I’m almost tempted to toxx and say that something will at least be announced before 2021. The internet is already blowing up with comics staring queer or gender nonconforming characters so the demand is clearly there.

Bonus questions: Will the character be male or female (or other)? Which network will have the balls to do it first? When will we see a trans protagonist? Will anyone even care when it happens at this point?

*Im talking an openly gay main character with no obfuscation or ambiguity to protect the feels of bigot parents. Dropping the reveal at the rear end-end of the show also doesn’t count. Also it needs to be an American production because Japan probably beat us to the punch several times over by now.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Rest in Peace Chris Reccardi
That one's a real shocker, I can't believe it. Rest in peace dude. :/

e: when the thread was bumped I thought it was going to be talking about the allegations of Jim Cummings being a piece of poo poo Trump-loving animal-abusing rear end in a top hat

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

readingatwork posted:

Been watching Steven Universe again and it’s got me wondering. When do you think we’ll get a gay protagonist in a kid’s cartoon*? It has to be soon right? Hell, I’m almost tempted to toxx and say that something will at least be announced before 2021. The internet is already blowing up with comics staring queer or gender nonconforming characters so the demand is clearly there.

Bonus questions: Will the character be male or female (or other)? Which network will have the balls to do it first? When will we see a trans protagonist? Will anyone even care when it happens at this point?

*Im talking an openly gay main character with no obfuscation or ambiguity to protect the feels of bigot parents. Dropping the reveal at the rear end-end of the show also doesn’t count. Also it needs to be an American production because Japan probably beat us to the punch several times over by now.

Does Korra count? :v:

I'm willing to bet a lesbian main character will come before a gay male main character. Lesbians seem to be less controversial in kids' cartoons.

Trans we're probably further away from.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Marco in Star Vs could be trans but will never actually get to come out on the show itself

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The 7th Guest posted:

Marco in Star Vs could be trans but will never actually get to come out on the show itself

He's not, he literally grew to adulthood in an alternate dimension (long story) and showed no signs of dysphoria or attempts to transition and seems quite happy with his masculine features. He's just a dude who finds he feels comfortable wearing a dress and being called a princess.

Given said grown-up form is basically a hispanic Chris Hemsworth with eyelashes, and the whole thing with the princess boarding school storyline that got him in a dress in the first place, it's pretty clearly a different message about how there is no shame for a man to be interested in feminine traits and outfits and it does not make him any lesser for it.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Pakled posted:

Does Korra count? :v:

No! :colbert:

Also if anyone mentions Shezow I swear to God I will nuke their house from orbit. I’ll find a way to do it damnit!

quote:

Trans we're probably further away from.

I agree but I don’t think we’re *that* far off. Trans rights is another issue where the Kids These Days already know what’s up. It’s just a matter of enough boomers dying/trans characters becoming visibly profitable enough to get the right exec to take the risk. My guess would be by 2025 though I’m not going to toxx on that one.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’d love for She-Ra’s Bow to complete the show’s gay thing and be fully gay too. It’s almost there. Everyone is super-gay already, but as someone said, lesbians are easier to swallow (the irony).

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

readingatwork posted:

Honestly I figure we're still a couple decades away from having a protagonist be openly gay from the beginning, and even when they do reach that point they'll have to have it be vague enough that they can hide the gayness with minimal editing for the international market

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Milo Murphy's Law has an old married couple of Murphy relatives who are nearly always together and both of them always talk at the same time while saying completely different things and thus are nearly impossible for anyone presumably not used to them to understand but seem to have no problem talking to each other, and I can only imagine that they're based on someone the writers know in real life.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Call me cynical but I seriously doubt we'll get a show where the main character is both gay/not straight from the start and has the shows relationship plotlines take up even 0.5% percent of the screentime as it does in most modern shows like Star vs, Adventure Time ect before the infrastructure required to both create and distribute children's cartoons collapses along with everything else.

Like not to be ungrateful but I kinda resent that we reached the end of history and the best we managed is tertiary and background characters and absolute last possible second and still somewhat ambiguous gays.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly I figure we're still a couple decades away from having a protagonist be openly gay from the beginning, and even when they do reach that point they'll have to have it be vague enough that they can hide the gayness with minimal editing for the international market

I respect the censorship trolling from Steven Universe by having Sapphire wear a dress and Ruby wear a suit, and then switching them.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

the allegations of Jim Cummings being a piece of poo poo Trump-loving animal-abusing rear end in a top hat

Wait what??

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

https://news.yahoo.com/winnie-pooh-disney-voice-star-164247601.html

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Call me cynical but I seriously doubt we'll get a show where the main character is both gay/not straight from the start and has the shows relationship plotlines take up even 0.5% percent of the screentime as it does in most modern shows like Star vs, Adventure Time ect before the infrastructure required to both create and distribute children's cartoons collapses along with everything else.

Like not to be ungrateful but I kinda resent that we reached the end of history and the best we managed is tertiary and background characters and absolute last possible second and still somewhat ambiguous gays.

Nah, we’re at least 2-3 more recessions from the Great American Collapse and global warming will take a while to kill us all. That gives us, like, two whole decades to do this poo poo. Plenty of time.

We mustn’t lose hope. It’s very important that the young gay wasteland reavers of tomorrow know that they too can solve supernatural middle school mysteries while learning important lessons about friendship, responsibility, and the virtues of capitalism.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Speaking of which Victor and Valentino just did a plot line where Victor learns that being the boss *might be harder than it looks* and I think I got a stroke from rolling my eyes so hard. How do you play that cliche straight ITYOOL 2019!? (It’s because animators tend to be upper-middle class)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

readingatwork posted:

Speaking of which Victor and Valentino just did a plot line where Victor learns that being the boss *might be harder than it looks* and I think I got a stroke from rolling my eyes so hard. How do you play that cliche straight ITYOOL 2019!? (It’s because animators tend to be upper-middle class)

Hell, Rocko's Modern Life had a better take 20 years ago, Rocko was completely overwhelmed by running the comic shop for an episode and turned into a tyrant due to it, and Ed Bighead when making executive finds himself losing perspective the further he gets promoted, and while the questions start off difficult enough he needs random guessing and luck to get him through them due to needing in depth knowledge of company finances, by the end of the episode the questions have become so basic a child could answer them, but he's become intellectually lazy and struggles even with "Increase Employee Parking? Y/N" Power Corrupts in both those situations, Rocko's morals rot and Ed Bighead's brain does the same.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

readingatwork posted:

Eoin from Total Drama Island might have been bi, but that was a Canadian show... :canada:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's hard to say, kids' cartoons are usually made by megacorporations who have an interest in not rocking the boat and any depiction of minorities is going to be firmly in line with, at best, the most safely acceptable style of rainbow capitalism. Star Vs has had a lot of nods but apparently Disney has nixed even references to the trans rights flags and most fall under either freeze-frame moments or plausible deniability. At best, cartoons at least aren't too aggressively heteronormative anymore, or at least don't have female characters be automatically be boy-crazy. (My Little Pony I think sidestepped the issue with only one main character having a confirmed interest in men while almost the entire primary cast was conspicuously absent during the not-Valentine's Day episode)

And that's not even getting into networks and merchandisers, who literally threatened not to carry much My Little Pony merchandise because the centrepiece pony wasn't pink. Probably a reason why there's not much Steven Universe merchandise. (Though that might as much be because Cartoon Network is stingy and dysfunctional)

Basically, if you want more LGBT media, it's probably futile to try to get it through established corporate media and franchises, who'll give tokenism at best and consider that to be a magnanimous gesture. Best to promote alternate channels whenever possible for independent creators.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
In case anyone cares, Mighty Magiswords' new episodes are getting dumped at 11:30 am pacific and OK KO is back in NuPPG's timeslot on Sunday.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

No.1 Special posted:

In case anyone cares, Mighty Magiswords' new episodes are getting dumped at 11:30 am pacific and OK KO is back in NuPPG's timeslot on Sunday.

Is NuPPG still ongoing?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Is NuPPG still ongoing?

According to the wiki it has at least 7 episodes left to air, although I wouldn't be surprised if it gets more episodes because despite being a complete mess it apparently does well in the foreign market, especially for merchandise

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013
So hey, if you’re wondering what happened to that Invader Zim movie and that Rockos Modern Life movie that was supposed to air years ago, well they both just got sold to Netflix.

http://nickalive.blogspot.com/2019/05/netflix-acquires-nickelodeons-rockos.html

This was expected honestly, I don’t think that Hey Arnold movie did great ratings wise. Which makes sense considering the kids who are meant to watch that had no idea what Hey Arnold was.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Oh man I’ve been wondering why Enter the Florpus never materialized. I sure hope Netflix releases them soon, we were going to marathon the whole series in preparation for its release. :smith:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

cartoons123 posted:

So hey, if you’re wondering what happened to that Invader Zim movie and that Rockos Modern Life movie that was supposed to air years ago, well they both just got sold to Netflix.

This was expected honestly, I don’t think that Hey Arnold movie did great ratings wise. Which makes sense considering the kids who are meant to watch that had no idea what Hey Arnold was.

Well that sucks. The movie was pretty good and was exactly the kind of thing I’d like to see more of. Hopefully these projects will thrive on Netflix where they can reach their intended audience.

Edit: Ungh... according to that article The Loud House is getting a movie. I guess it could be fine if they get an entirely new writing staff.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 10, 2019

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

cartoons123 posted:

Yeah I was kinda wondering why Nick would be releasing all this stuff pandering to the children of the 90s instead of the children of... well, now. Netflix makes way more sense as a distribution platform for those. Good to see they're coming out somewhere.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Ive been watching Moominvalley. Its so delightful. I love it.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Who voiced the computer in Dexter's Lab?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Mraagvpeine posted:

Who voiced the computer in Dexter's Lab?

Kath Soucie

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Thanks, tried IMDB with no luck. I didn't expect the voice actor of his mom to also be the computer and many other voices.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

TwoPair posted:

Yeah I was kinda wondering why Nick would be releasing all this stuff pandering to the children of the 90s instead of the children of... well, now. Netflix makes way more sense as a distribution platform for those. Good to see they're coming out somewhere.

Agreed. Though I wonder/hope if more of these nostalgia bait movies will get made.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Agreed. Though I wonder/hope if more of these nostalgia bait movies will get made.

You never know. Probably helps to keep old creators around and ignite some interest to make money off old shows.

Time travel ending up in the Wild West seems like such a cliche already that Milo Murphy's Law parodies it with proto-Danville possibly being descended from time travellers who found themselves stranded because of the presence of a Murphy. (which explains a LOT)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think it makes a lot of business sense to try to see if any older 90s properties can have a bit of second life to be redeveloped into a greater franchise, although the particular 90s shows they picked are a bit weird. Also I was under the impression Nickelodeon had really moved away from cartoons as a whole.

Some 60s IPs are still pumping out money even today, a slew of 80s IPs largely managed to transcend their generations to become heinously popular franchises. It's a little weird how much of the 90s just kinda faded away in comparison. I think it might have to do with the merchandising boom of the 80s dying down after a few big failures and then a surge in original programming keeping reruns down (seriously, if you poke around the history of older show, there's tons of repackaging older episodes and shorts into new programming blocks that doesn't start to fade until the 90s). It might be interesting if streaming services start turning that around by readily displaying older content, but that remains to be seen. I think a lot of discoverability on streaming services is bullshit.

Of course, on the other side of things, long-reaching franchises can be super lucrative for the businesses that own them, but they stifle creativity (and representation) and maybe all IPs must die.