Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Coolguye posted:

i really cannot think of a situation where i have had to kill a vassal. the oubliette is literally always a better option, because in that case you get some time to chill out with a neutered vassal.

remember: the best vassals are imprisoned vassals! while under house arrest, they will be the perfect little angels. they have full health and can be expected to live a full life. they suffer no penalties to their stewardship score, which is what directly relates to your tax income. they simply cannot:

- join factions
- plot
- breed
- whine about not being on the council
- join rebellions
- generally annoy you in any conceivable way

even if they're kin, if they've got an heir and i catch them plotting, they go under house arrest for the remainder of their natural lives. all of the other stuff will happen anyway, AIs will always marry for claims so you will always have supervassals at some point. just revoke and reland. the main way randos help is that they are guaranteed to not have nor ever have any claims of their own (whereas it's much more difficult to anticipate what will happen with your dynasts), which slows down the whole process by a good 2 generations or so.

Let's fondly remember the days of putting someone in house arrest basically guaranteeing an escape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

FreudianSlippers posted:

So apperently the Dutch took over Rutherania in a Crusade a while ago and then their descendants went native and became culturally Khazar. They are however in the process of being conquered by the Mongols.

I respect this man's headware choices.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Away all Goats posted:

I don't know how to check if I have exclave independence on. I thought I had passed a law that disallowed titles to pass from my realm, is that what you mean?

I'm King of Ireland (and Scotland) and the Crusader state is south west of where the Netherlands would normally be.

nah, exclave independence is a game rule. if you haven't set it, then it's off and it doesn't apply. the late feudal restrictions on realm inheritance stuff being disallowed doesn't apply to your dynasts, i think - i've had problems with that mess before too.

anyway, the crusader state is across the english channel, so the AI will be forced to use boats, which it is reasonably good at. you can't rely upon attrition to do your hard work for you. that leaves you with stabbing people until the duchy comes back to you or just flatly declaring a de jure war for the duchy as your primary options. if you don't have the dudes right now, i recommend starting some tributary wars with the crusader state's neighbors. when you declare war, call them to arms and tell them all to siege the enemy capitol. that'll give them a big thing to worry about that isn't ganking you.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Haha, gently caress. I decided to try out a new game as Duke of Spoleto in 867. Everything was going fine, I was just getting a hang of the location and the set up, then about a year into his reign he dies, of horrible diarrhea death caused by bad food. Now his half brother is Duke, a 15 year old kid with no remarkable traits, who was doing quite well growing up until one day he discovered the magical pixies in the garden and started following them!

Oh also, did I mention this lunatic looooooves Satan?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Duke Hot Topic is love.

Griffen
Aug 7, 2008
Has anyone noticed whether Holy Fury has increased the degree of randomness in the game? My current play through has had some of the wackiest outcomes thus far of my CK2 games. Highlights include a Taoist Byzantium repulsing a crusade with the help of the Western Protectorate, a Norse Syria created by an adventurer, who in turn subjugates a Norse Sicily created the same way, and constant large-scale norse raiders tanking Catholic MA and creating a sea of heretic revolts. The biggest power in the British Isles is a small Kingdom of Wales, with the Kingdom of England (created by a Catholic revolt) reduced to a rump state SPM in the English Channel. I'm playing as Karling Italy trying to reform the HRE. It's making for a fun game, but in previous play-throughs I'd only see one of these kinds of outcomes, not all of them. Anyone else noticing an uptick in unusual chain of events?

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Griffen posted:

Has anyone noticed whether Holy Fury has increased the degree of randomness in the game? My current play through has had some of the wackiest outcomes thus far of my CK2 games. Highlights include a Taoist Byzantium repulsing a crusade with the help of the Western Protectorate, a Norse Syria created by an adventurer, who in turn subjugates a Norse Sicily created the same way, and constant large-scale norse raiders tanking Catholic MA and creating a sea of heretic revolts. The biggest power in the British Isles is a small Kingdom of Wales, with the Kingdom of England (created by a Catholic revolt) reduced to a rump state SPM in the English Channel. I'm playing as Karling Italy trying to reform the HRE. It's making for a fun game, but in previous play-throughs I'd only see one of these kinds of outcomes, not all of them. Anyone else noticing an uptick in unusual chain of events?

The early start dates always end up like this. Old Gods isn’t as bad but Charlemagne is awful. Honestly I like the ahistorical stuff but it’s gotten to the point where it’s the norm rather than a fun event and I do wish they had a little more focus on making the world tend to turn out historical.

Anyway if you start in 1066 a lot of the randomness goes away.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Meanwhile in Ireland, I got in a position where I could declare war on England and plop my son in law on the throne. Happily, there was Yet Another Crusade, which left me rich and England short on troops. I win.

A month later, he's lost the entire thing to some random usurper. Jeez, kid, you play this game as badly as I do.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck2-dev-diary-121-court-improvements.1173849/

More events good. General court changes are a terrible idea. It's already too loving common to end up with like 100 dudes in your court for various reasons, and manual pruning is already a pita. And you can't even do that without a DLC.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Prisoners by showing up in the court tab is good

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Griffen posted:

Has anyone noticed whether Holy Fury has increased the degree of randomness in the game?

I've seen a bunch of kingdoms formed from child of destiny events that are making things weirder than normal.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

lurksion posted:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck2-dev-diary-121-court-improvements.1173849/

More events good. General court changes are a terrible idea. It's already too loving common to end up with like 100 dudes in your court for various reasons, and manual pruning is already a pita. And you can't even do that without a DLC.

Seems the ability to ask someone to leave your court will no longer require Reaper's Due after this update hits, and the requirements have been eased up a little too.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Griffen posted:

In short, yes.

There are several reasons. Most obviously, unreformed pagans are now more likely to reform. The main reason is likely the addition of Warrior Lodges (except for African pagans, who got a their biggest boost due to the additional African provinces, and the much more advantageous holy site distribution). And due to the reformation overhaul in Holy Fury, those reformed religions are even more powerful than they were before. So pagans reform more often, and get bigger advantages out of it.

Then you also have the Child of Destiny event, which can further lead to strange outcomes.

The main problem here is the Charlemagne start. It's honestly the worst of the main starts (Charlemagne, Old Gods, Vanilla 1066). Christianity is at it's weakest, the Abbasids are huge and just a few special subjugation CBs removed from ruling an empire that has Spain as it's western border, and the Indus as it's eastern border. You have mega-Tibet, and it's basically a coin flip whether the Western Protectorate will subjugate them, at which point the WP is likely to run rampant in India, if not further. This is also the high point for unreformed pagans as well.

If you want a less crazy game, start in the Old Gods start, and/or disable AI pagan reformation, turn off the child of destiny events, restrict interactions with China to India, Tibet and the Eastern Steppes/disable Chinese tributary wars, perhaps lower the exclave independence threshold. Just poke around in the game rules if you want a more "historical" experience.

Griffen
Aug 7, 2008

Torrannor posted:

In short, yes.

There are several reasons. Most obviously, unreformed pagans are now more likely to reform. The main reason is likely the addition of Warrior Lodges (except for African pagans, who got a their biggest boost due to the additional African provinces, and the much more advantageous holy site distribution). And due to the reformation overhaul in Holy Fury, those reformed religions are even more powerful than they were before. So pagans reform more often, and get bigger advantages out of it.

Then you also have the Child of Destiny event, which can further lead to strange outcomes.

The main problem here is the Charlemagne start. It's honestly the worst of the main starts (Charlemagne, Old Gods, Vanilla 1066). Christianity is at it's weakest, the Abbasids are huge and just a few special subjugation CBs removed from ruling an empire that has Spain as it's western border, and the Indus as it's eastern border. You have mega-Tibet, and it's basically a coin flip whether the Western Protectorate will subjugate them, at which point the WP is likely to run rampant in India, if not further. This is also the high point for unreformed pagans as well.

If you want a less crazy game, start in the Old Gods start, and/or disable AI pagan reformation, turn off the child of destiny events, restrict interactions with China to India, Tibet and the Eastern Steppes/disable Chinese tributary wars, perhaps lower the exclave independence threshold. Just poke around in the game rules if you want a more "historical" experience.

Its interesting you say that, as I started at the 867 date (I hate both the Abbasid blob and the easy blobbing of the horse lords) and none of the pagans have reformed. Scandinavia is going Catholic, and the stongest Germanic nations are in the Mediterranean. I think the Romuva religion might reform, as either Pruthenia or Estonia need to just subjugate the other and they have the 3 holy sites. I think a lot of the deviations stem from individual character actions. Norse adventurers and wandering bands had 6K+ stacks wandering through southern Europe pillaging as they went without challenge, which resulted in near permanent Catholic MA loss due to temple looting. I think the Byzantine Empire went Taoism due to a Chinese character in the court converting the Emperor which in turn forced conversions on the entire nobility. I've also seen an uptick in adventurers winning their invasions (might be linked to constantly looting temples) which led to a short-lived Norse Hungary and later Syria and Sicily. All this without any pagan reformations, though I shudder to think what a reformed Germanic religion could do in Syria.

All this isn't to complain, I like the fact that events are now much more character driven, I'm just surprised at how much is occurring in a single game. Hopefully Romuva reforms, as I've yet to see a pagan reformation done by the AI since pre Horse Lords.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Holy Fury & Shattered World make for a pretty hellish combination of randomness.
Nomads & Pagans seem to get Event Troops pouring out of their rear end, way beyond the ability of any non-Nomad/Pagan realm to deal with.
I formed a King-level Republic and then a Norse Pagan in Holland - who already had 4500 Event Troops - started preparing for an Invasion (where he'll get another rear end-load of troops).

It's not as bad in my Zun game, since the holy order provides 9k-10k troops as insurance, but it really needs to be toned down a few notches.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I've been listening to a lot of the History of Byzantium podcast. What's a good start time/place in the East as Byzantium or the Caliphate?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Holy Fury gave already-powerful pagans a bunch of buffs (although yeah you can disable some of them in the game rules) but it also gave them a mechanic to entirely flip to an organized religion all at once, so it's a mixed bag. Either they'll all disappear or they'll create an unstoppable snowball.

Vengarr posted:

I've been listening to a lot of the History of Byzantium podcast. What's a good start time/place in the East as Byzantium or the Caliphate?

They're at their height of power in the Charlemagne start if you're into that, but if you're not, I recommend Baudouin I van Vlaanderen in 1205. :getin:

I've never had much fun with starts within a caliphate, but that's also because vassals are hard to sort out in the game start screen. The Emirate of Sicily in 1066 is a fun one, although you may end up spending more time with catholics than Byzantines.

I don't know if the CK2 Wiki interesting characters guide is in the OP, but it could be helpful.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Vengarr posted:

For Byzantium, the Alexiad start. You're pretty much reduced to just Greece, but your emperor is a badass and the Varangian Guard let you punch way above your weight. Alternatively, it can be fun to start as a humble Doux in one of the more powerful starts and try to seize the throne from the inside.

For the Caliphate, I think 1066 is probably best, for similar reasons -- you're pretty much just Baghdad and the surrounding provinces, but once you get some momentum going you can subjugate all of your Sunni neighbors and start rolling into Europe or India. Just be prepared for the Mongols.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I recommend Baudouin I van Vlaanderen in 1205. :getin:

This too. You've got 10,000 event troops and claims on most of the Nicene Empire and Bulgaria. Show those filthy schismatics the fury of real Rome.

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010

I love this game lmao

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Man, I just got that for the first time the other night and thought goddamn, the McPoyle dynasty is old.

That being said, someone needs to do a ruler designer house of mcpoyle. Start at 769 and the bloodline must remain pure.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Ive started this game like 5 times and stopped within 20 minutes because it's just too much to take in. But some GoT mod LP's popped up on my youtube and I think I am gonna try again. It seems playing as and against characters I know might help me get immersed. Is the game harder to learn when you start modded?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If your problem is too many things going on at once, play over in Ireland. It's isolated from most of the rest of the map with no big states nearby to threaten you, so you can be safe to putter around until you're more comfortable or more powerful and want to start conquering Britain. Italy is a great step up from that, a few more big contenders to worry about, maybe some HRE or Byzantine fooling around, still geographically simple to deal with.

If you're annoyed by how slow everything is in Ireland, the Iberian peninsula allows for some pretty quick expansion to really get into wars fast.

If you're just totally lost and the in-game tutorial is too brokenfor you to deal with (it hasn't been updated in a long while), try reading some LPs to get an idea of how things are supposed to go. https://lparchive.org/Crusader-Kings-2/

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"Skulking -as I often do-" always makes me laugh. :unsmith:

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Torrannor posted:

In short, yes.

Yeah. Warrior Lodges pretty much let pagan rulers become invincible, unstoppable juggernauts who slaughter enemy commanders left and right, rack up tons of Prestige which lets them develop their holdings fast, get elite combat traits, summon commanders with huge Martial trait, call forth thousands of minions and get a guaranteed bloodline if they manage to become a leader and fill up the Legend bar. I don't think even the Satanists in the first versions of the Reaper's Due were as powerful. This is pretty much what lets pagans reform so easily, especially the Norse who are one or two conquests away from getting their fifth Holy Place.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Holy poo poo this game costs 300 dollars if you get the complete bundle. Wow. That's more than even the grognardiest games I have seen in the past.

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010
I started up my first game in a while in Canarias in the Charlemagne start. After playing along for a few years I noticed I had a 14 year old Bon girl at court and I have no idea why. I think she's a refugee from the Bon area of the map but no idea how she got to me. She just hit 16 and became my concubine, so I could become the Bon count of Canarias if I want. Is there anything fun I can do with that? Bon religion sounds like it would be a tough sell on the opposite side of the world from normal.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Vengarr posted:

The Old Gods starts you as Basil I at the start of what become the big early medieval resurgence of the Byzantine State.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The Dregs posted:

Holy poo poo this game costs 300 dollars if you get the complete bundle. Wow. That's more than even the grognardiest games I have seen in the past.

It’ll be probably 1/3rd of that when the game goes on summer sale in a few weeks. Also, regarding learning, I’ve been doing a let’s learn stream the last few weeks that might make sense to join up on or something.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The Dregs posted:

Now, now. It's just a mere $200 if you get the bundle without stuff like portrait and music packs.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Played a bit earlier tonight, took a break, and now the game won't finish loading. It hangs with the loading bar full on "Loading Graphics..."

what do I do

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

verify your files through steam

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I did, no errors

I even reinstalled for good measure

e: no mods

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Now, now. It's just a mere $200 if you get the bundle without stuff like portrait and music packs.

The portrait packs are the best part though!?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I full admit I'm a whale but I couldn't imagine playing without the graphical dlc, it adds a lot. The base game art assets are oooooold, and they show it. I hate playing as western culture where you're stuck with the terrible western councilor models. At least you can get rid of those if you up the status of women.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

The Dregs posted:

Take a look at the train simulator game.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

This game has gone insane. Haraldr here is stomping about the place pretty much laying waste to everything around him. He declared some sort of Viking conquest of Lotharingia and because the King at the time was an imbecile child he took all of my titles, all of the Pope's titles and stomped off back home. Now he's the King of Romagna and i'm a lowly Count.

I'm not sure there's anything I can do here. The games gone nuts. I have a potential claim to Tuscany through a betrothal with a strong claim to the throne, but that's a long game and I might not survive that long.

I might restart. This is insane. :smith:

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Coolguye posted:

It’ll be probably 1/3rd of that when the game goes on summer sale in a few weeks. Also, regarding learning, I’ve been doing a let’s learn stream the last few weeks that might make sense to join up on or something.

Do you have any links to the stuff you've already gone over?

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Take a look at the train simulator game.

9k. I had no idea.

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 12:08 on May 4, 2019

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

The Dregs posted:

Do you have any links to the stuff you've already gone over?

9k. I had no idea.

Just ask what you want to know, man, nobody will jump down your throat. If they do, gently caress 'em they're dicks.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Just ask what you want to know, man, nobody will jump down your throat. If they do, gently caress 'em they're dicks.

Nah. it is too early for that. I just started to tutorial and spent five minutes yelling at it when it told me to get married because no matter how many times I clicked on the chick I wanted, nothing happened. I didn't realize that all I had to do was click "got it!" and the next pop would tell me how I needed to bring up her portrait and right click it. That is the kind of stuff I am dealing with. I'd be asking questions every 7 seconds. I am determined this time, though. I just poured myself a triple coffe and I am gonna get this fucker going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
The best advice I can give you, is if you're independent, make your weaker neighbour's your tributary state. They have to give you their full army in defensive wars and if they dont have a pact with the nation you're attacking. They also have to give you 40% of their income. The problems with tributaries, are that if anyone but their heir takes power(revolts, claimant factions, etc), or your ruler dies, you lose suzerain status over your now former tributary.

Using tributaries also allows you to sort of control the realm. For example, you're the suzerain of Liex and Laigin decides to try and take Liex, you can offer to join your tributary's war. Or if you aren't the suzerain of Liex and want Laigin, you can declare tributary war on Liex and because Laigin is attacking Liex, Laigin's troops will be hostile, allowing you to thin out their troops, and claim Liex as a tributary. So you've gained some offensive ability with your new tributary's troops, an income source, stopped Laigin's expansion, and destroyed Laigin's garrison paving the way to declare tributary war on Laigin.

Before you declare war, you want to look at the defense's character sheet and hover over his levy number. It will give you a breakdown of exactly how many troops he can raise. If you're fighting a big tribal ruler, you really, really have to check that. Tribal rulers call in vassals as allies, rather than levies, so it might look like he can only raise 1k troops, but he might have 10 tribal vassals who he can call in who can each raise another 1k.

If you hit e, I think, I'm not home right now, it'll bring up the diplomatic relations map and any county that is yellow can be made a tributary. And some who aren't. It's weird but the yellow is a good guide because you can always make those guys tributaries.

The reddit discord is pretty good. I stick to the ck2 channel and have everything else muted, so I cant speak to the quality of the other channels.

The ck2 room is real good, however. Very active and filled with knowledgable people. I've learned a lot from it.

https://discord.gg/Tuud2Ks

Ultimate Shrek Fan fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 4, 2019