Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

XIII posted:

I thought it was a big step back from his last one. Had a few really good jokes, but overall meh

there werent as many laughs as thought and prayers and the audience seemed weird but i still loled and i enjoy his schtick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
Is there more to Jeselnik than “I’m saying terrible things but in an ironic way?” That sort of 4chan edgelord humor is pretty stale and tends to attract a disgusting audience that takes it at face value.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I thought the special was funny

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jurgan posted:

Is there more to Jeselnik than “I’m saying terrible things but in an ironic way?” That sort of 4chan edgelord humor is pretty stale and tends to attract a disgusting audience that takes it at face value.

He's admitted that he's just doing "Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey, but darker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1PG6If8cSM

EugeneJ fucked around with this message at 01:01 on May 3, 2019

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Jurgan posted:

That's how I felt about him when I tried listening. Just repellent stuff and I don't really care if he means it ironically or not, it's depressing.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://tvline.com/2019/05/02/blind-item-standup-comic-special-announcement/

quote:

When is a comedy special more than just a run-of-the-mill comedy special? When the headliner of said comedy special breaks a major piece of news (in the form of a personal declaration) during said comedy special.

Yep, if the buzz circulating around Hollywood is to be believed, that’s the provocative twist at the center of a forthcoming, tightly-guarded — and potentially groundbreaking — standalone TV event starring a very notable stand-up comic/TV star. As if that wasn’t a dramatic enough hook for a comedy offering, an insider tells me that among the folks who will be first to learn of this development are members of the entertainer’s own family (although it’s unknown if they would be present/participating in the special).

It’s also unclear if the rumored TV special is of the traditional standup variety or something more hybrid-y. But as one insider tells me, if this event comes together — and it’s looking like it will — it will have lotsa folks talking.

:question:

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

Von Linus posted:

That's how I felt about him when I tried listening. Just repellent stuff and I don't really care if he means it ironically or not, it's depressing.

Totally respect everyone who has that read on it. I am a fan and think there's a bit more nuance to it, and I think this Vulture article is the best put version of it, but don't expect it to change any minds.

https://www.vulture.com/2019/04/anthony-jeselnik-fire-in-the-maternity-ward-review.html

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

can't believe Jerry Seinfeld finally admitted he changes the tag of his pants to read size 31 instead of 32

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jurgan posted:

I like him a lot better than the Tosh types who do it because his thing is just 100% deadpan kinda sociopath persona and not smirky 'aren't I so naughty?' stuff. Like, it's still edgelord shock humor so if it's not your bag he probably won't win you over but I think he is on the better side of that genre.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I don't see Jim Jeffries mentioned much in this thread which is odd to me.

Not just because I think he's loving great but he's also really popular, "edgy", contemporary and fucks around with "taboo" things that generate debate using language in ways that can piss off just about anyone.

Usually that combination: the popularity (TV show, viral bits, physical assault on stage) and the sort of touchy "off limits" poo poo (misogyny, religion) brings out opinions one way or the other but not too many goons toss him out here.

I think he's an example of a really funny person who comes from a place of of honesty but whose material might not age too great over time - like Murphy, Pryor, Carlin and several other greats who dealt in unapologetic ways with subject matter specifically relevant to their time that was often dangerous to talk about. I also think his last special was a little lacking and that he's starting to become victim to the "has to be outrageous and say 'oval office'" sort of stereotyping that always goes on.

He seems like another in a long line of comedians for which things might not end too well but burns bright while he lasts.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

This had better not be Louis C.K. trying another surprise comeback.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Rogan's coming out party?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Ellen's following in Anne Heche's footsteps and coming out as hetero.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't see Jim Jeffries mentioned much in this thread which is odd to me.

Not just because I think he's loving great but he's also really popular, "edgy", contemporary and fucks around with "taboo" things that generate debate using language in ways that can piss off just about anyone.

Usually that combination: the popularity (TV show, viral bits, physical assault on stage) and the sort of touchy "off limits" poo poo (misogyny, religion) brings out opinions one way or the other but not too many goons toss him out here.

I think he's an example of a really funny person who comes from a place of of honesty but whose material might not age too great over time - like Murphy, Pryor, Carlin and several other greats who dealt in unapologetic ways with subject matter specifically relevant to their time that was often dangerous to talk about. I also think his last special was a little lacking and that he's starting to become victim to the "has to be outrageous and say 'oval office'" sort of stereotyping that always goes on.

He seems like another in a long line of comedians for which things might not end too well but burns bright while he lasts.

I dunno, he gets discussed like everyone else in this thread, for like five posts when he releases a new special. I thought the last one was weak-ish, yeah. I had to actually Google a transcript to see if I watched it. But I'm still looking forward to the next one. Also, tbh, I think his problem might actually be that the Comedy Central gig is polishing his edges off. I expect the next special to be 60% Trump material.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
This seems like a pointless waste of a legal fees, but here we are.

https://twitter.com/jamesdshotwell/status/1124766832546787328

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Man he's really unhappy that his Rush Limbaugh material didn't go over well.

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

does anybody tape their shows and then sell the tapes afterwards like pearl jam

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

An Apple A Gay posted:

does anybody tape their shows and then sell the tapes afterwards like pearl jam

I don't think anyone that's a big name does that. They will have CD's and merch of previous material but usually they want to keep that stuff under wraps and sell it as a special to netflix or other networks once it's killer.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Yeah once a comedy set is released it's pretty much dead. You'd have to do just crowd work for that to work I'd think.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Not Operator posted:

This seems like a pointless waste of a legal fees, but here we are.

https://twitter.com/jamesdshotwell/status/1124766832546787328

imagine being the jackoff guy and making demands like this

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

imagine being the jackoff guy and making demands like this

Bold of him to demand people ask for his consent.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
https://twitter.com/andylevy/status/1124843242535706624

UncleButts
Sep 25, 2003

pure of heart
dumb of ass

This tweet deserves a lot of love

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
tweet would make more sense if people asked to film his set and he said yes because he thought they could help his career

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

bango skank posted:

tweet would make more sense if people asked to film his set and he said yes because he thought they could help his career

He definitely thinks these people will help his career.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
oh Nick DiPaolo is doing his usual act of 'I peaked when Colin Quinn was a thing but here's my edgy opinions'.

The black lives matter dude is the guy who jumped police tape to steal the confederate flag during protests, he also got murdered last year. To be fair I'm positive Nick just had someone google 'black lives matter' for a pic to use but that kinda is 100% on brand for what kinda dude he is too.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Crosspost from the O&A thread:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

sexpig by night posted:

oh Nick DiPaolo is doing his usual act of 'I peaked when Colin Quinn was a thing but here's my edgy opinions'.

The black lives matter dude is the guy who jumped police tape to steal the confederate flag during protests, he also got murdered last year. To be fair I'm positive Nick just had someone google 'black lives matter' for a pic to use but that kinda is 100% on brand for what kinda dude he is too.

Rogan on a recent podcast mentioned that DiPaolo is, like, the only stand-up comedian he knows who's a) really into politics and b) is a conservative.

Personally, I don't really... care? If he's actually funny about it, then, like, whatever, good for him - but I somehow doubt he is.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
idk what you guys are talking about my mans is a comedic genius!

https://twitter.com/NickDiPaolo/status/1125759834224308229

lmfao at conservatives in comedy

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

The trophy you win during the biggest advertising event of the year is literally named after the guy.

sick sandusky reference too. nick's references are out of control everyone knows that

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Megazver posted:

Rogan on a recent podcast mentioned that DiPaolo is, like, the only stand-up comedian he knows who's a) really into politics and b) is a conservative.

Personally, I don't really... care? If he's actually funny about it, then, like, whatever, good for him - but I somehow doubt he is.

Haha yea gently caress sexual assault survivors

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
DiPaolo has stated that yes in fact they did just grab that image without knowing who it was. And apologised, and is changing it. It's a weird approach to take given that his whole thing is about people being too sensitive these days.

Anyway, gently caress me the clips from his show are bad but it's interesting to see him shoehorn in language he knows will favour an alt-right audience before he awkwardly transitions to a joke that has nothing to do with what he just said.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
New York comedy guys are almost universally terrible

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Nick DiPaolo is one of the most desperate people in comedy. He wants his thing to be a thing and so few care.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

I imagine him riding a lawn mower in this picture.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

Megazver posted:

Steven Crowder, past JRE guest, wept a single tear when Joe said this.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Nick DiPaolo is one of the most desperate people in comedy. He wants his thing to be a thing and so few care.

Well he lost his writing job on a show because of something he wrote on twitter that I don't remember, people got mad and so he just decided to go all in with the conservative humor because a liberal audience will never like him anyways even if he tries to atone for something.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Odddzy posted:

Well he lost his writing job on a show because of something he wrote on twitter that I don't remember, people got mad and so he just decided to go all in with the conservative humor because a liberal audience will never like him anyways even if he tries to atone for something.

Was it this?

https://twitter.com/NickDiPaolo/status/1519999834

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

nah, it was something a few months ago.