Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers

Colostomy Bag posted:

Is this Macross/Robotech poo poo?

Nope, he's just channeling his inner Archer

https://twitter.com/Avon_Cosplay/status/1124412443210416134

https://twitter.com/discolando/status/1124417415448686592

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/trueman832/status/1124403116462546944

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

Latest SC roadmap:

Latest SQ42 roadmap:

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Please tell me someone on twitter has access to the public records and will provide them to our little friend. Even odds he claims they are faked.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Reminder that so called kid doxxing was an imdb page for croberts kids that presumably he or sandi set up.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

big nipples big life posted:

Reminder that so called kid doxxing was an imdb page for croberts kids that presumably he or sandi set up.

Also that one time that one of the shitizens took a photo of them at the airport or some poo poo.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Lord Stimperor posted:

Wrong magazine, GameStar is the one with the rabid SC fan base (although by comparison, all Germans probably stand out with their receptiveness to the the space cult)

The Europeans always seem a few years behind the North American Citizenry in coming to terms with the project’s grim reality. It lends credence to the Agent’s prediction that the next Citcon (if they have one) will be in Europe.

While the citizenry here has been whittled down to its lunatic core and even they are entering the bargaining stage of grief “it’s fine if the game launches with 2 star systems!”. It always seems like the posts from Europeans are still crazy theory crafting about a space simulation of unprecedented scale and fidelity. Like I saw a post from a German dude the other day about how Chris isn’t really building a game, he’s building the first full universe simulation that will stretch from sea floor to nebulae and contains millions of hyper intelligent NPCs.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 4, 2019

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sarsapariller posted:

So how's that free fly week goin

I hear a lot of computers are choking on all the content.

There's probably a bottleneck somewhere that's causing all the problems.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Popete posted:

It's funny that there is this conspiracy that SA is some huge cabal lurking in the shadows instead of SC stuff being one small sub-section of this forum.

Like they could just come here and see for themselves. But I suppose it's easier to pretend that every problem with SC is the fault of SA and Derek Smart.

You know we have to have the cabel. I. Literally bought a blood red cape and cute knee high boots just for the occasion.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Titanic posted:

I hear a lot of computers are choking on all the content.

There's probably a bottleneck somewhere that's causing all the problems.

hold on I'm getting on the phone to amazon now so they can spin up more servers to handle the load.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Well this shill just lost a percentage because he forgot to link to CIGs job page.

Dumbass.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

MarcusSA posted:

Also that one time that one of the shitizens took a photo of them at the airport or some poo poo.

:lol:

which was way worse

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

colonelwest posted:

The Europeans always seem a few years behind the North American Citizenry in coming to terms with the project’s grim reality. It lends credence to the Agent’s prediction that the next Citcon (if they have one) will be in Europe.

While the citizenry here has been whittled down to its lunatic core and even they are entering the bargaining stage of grief “it’s fine if the game launches with 2 star systems!”. It always seems like the posts from Europeans are still crazy theory crafting about a space simulation of unprecedented scale and fidelity. Like I saw a post from a German dude the other day about how Chris isn’t really building a game, he’s building the first full universe simulation that will stretch from sea floor to nebulae and contains millions of hyper intelligent NPCs.

This is a curious byproduct of a mostly functioning universal health care system.

Nutbar edge cases can still function in society without bankrupting themselves and so still have disposable income to invest.

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.
I absolutely love how "Release date: gently caress you" is all the release date that the rabid backers need. And they'll get it, too.

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

Of course he's the type of douche that thumbs up his own videos.

Calling it: once the cash flow dries up on all fronts, CIG is just going to cobble together a space Garry's Mod/Goat Simulator, throw it out the door and call it finished. Dozens of spergs will praise it for being the truest space sandbox ever. Sandi will then strangle Chris for the last time.

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

The Citizen has paid to always be ahead of you but half way to nirvana. Forever.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

I'm glad there are some people out there still hoping for something that was promised.

Server meshing dude... you're going to be the most disappointed. :(

But there's some people who would settle for not much, which is interesting. I wonder if they pay $60 for a AAA game and go into it thinking "well drat... I'd be happy with just a bootup loading spinner for the low cost of $60!"

I'd love to get into some of these peoples heads who spent thousands on this video game, and what their expectations are and how low they go and then ask why. When I pay for a new game at $60, I'm pretty much expecting a full experience. Sometimes dozens of hours of gameplay or more.

I don't understand how you could spend $1000's on what was promised to you, and then go to being ok that you would basically get a bare minimum, almost nothing of a game.

Is there some kind of a spending threshold where the bar for excellence is super low, but when it exceeds a certain $$$ amount it transforms from "a game" into more like a lifestyle or an investment, and the end product or quality is no longer an issue?

Way back in the day I fangirled over Final Fantasy XII and stood in line and bought the collectors tin or whatever it was for some $20 extra. I was legitimately happy and I played the crap out of that game. But if it was terrible I would have been unhappy with my decision, because I also bought some other collector edition games like Bioshock and I forgot I didn't really like FPS games and I found the whole "save a girl or kill a girl" mechanic kind of dumb (but I still liked the twist at the end and still played it through). I just wasn't keen on spending the extra money for a silly Big Daddy figurine and such.

But those were full, totally playable games, with actual production quality and I don't recall either one ever crashing my system out. If I bought something like that and it was basically a junk product, barely stable, I'd be pissed, even if I only paid $60 for it without any extras.

Now you have people spending thousands, and they are somehow ok with it. I will probably never understand why, or understand why as time goes on these people don't get pissed off rather than ok with whatever junk CIG manages to cough out.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

The Titanic posted:

But those were full, totally playable games, with actual production quality and I don't recall either one ever crashing my system out. If I bought something like that and it was basically a junk product, barely stable, I'd be pissed, even if I only paid $60 for it without any extras.

Ahh, but if you bought FFXII at full price and it was garbage and you could not get refunded, you would kinda feel stupid for buying it right? Now what if you only pre-ordered FFXII, spent months not playing any other game while getting anyone who would listen to you to buy it too. Then it comes out and is utter garbage. You'd look foolish. Now imagine how stupid and humiliated you'd be if it was say a $5000 game instead of $60.

You aren't that stupid are you? Of course not, that's impossible!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

The Titanic posted:

I'm glad there are some people out there still hoping for something that was promised.

Server meshing dude... you're going to be the most disappointed. :(

But there's some people who would settle for not much, which is interesting. I wonder if they pay $60 for a AAA game and go into it thinking "well drat... I'd be happy with just a bootup loading spinner for the low cost of $60!"

I'd love to get into some of these peoples heads who spent thousands on this video game, and what their expectations are and how low they go and then ask why. When I pay for a new game at $60, I'm pretty much expecting a full experience. Sometimes dozens of hours of gameplay or more.

I don't understand how you could spend $1000's on what was promised to you, and then go to being ok that you would basically get a bare minimum, almost nothing of a game.

Is there some kind of a spending threshold where the bar for excellence is super low, but when it exceeds a certain $$$ amount it transforms from "a game" into more like a lifestyle or an investment, and the end product or quality is no longer an issue?

Way back in the day I fangirled over Final Fantasy XII and stood in line and bought the collectors tin or whatever it was for some $20 extra. I was legitimately happy and I played the crap out of that game. But if it was terrible I would have been unhappy with my decision, because I also bought some other collector edition games like Bioshock and I forgot I didn't really like FPS games and I found the whole "save a girl or kill a girl" mechanic kind of dumb (but I still liked the twist at the end and still played it through). I just wasn't keen on spending the extra money for a silly Big Daddy figurine and such.

Now you have people spending thousands, and they are somehow ok with it. I will probably never understand why, or understand why as time goes on these people don't get pissed off rather than ok with whatever junk CIG manages to cough out.

There are people out there that are broken beyond saving, in ways normal people can't possibly comprehend. Trying to put yourself in their shoes is wasteful and impossible. It would be easier to understand a jellyfish and its motivations than people this emotionally and mentally damaged. There are people who spend their careers studying this, and they get old and die while getting no closer to understanding it. Backer brains are as broken as CIG's code base.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Human desire is a really weird thing, and it's clear that there's some deep primal itch being scratched by Crobbers. In defense of that longing people do some bizarre things, like throw thousands of dollars at an underbaked project and attacking rabidly against any and all comers. The problem is viewing it as a commercial transaction when identity and longing are apparently wrapped around the project as tightly as it can be.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Golli posted:

The real story there is not that they are a couple of jumped-up bogans, it is the fact that when presented with official court documents detailing an embarrassing period in their lives, they both refused to acknowledge it. Which indicates a much deeper problem - lack of integrity (and perhaps a touch of insanity). Again, not news to us, but important to the readers of the article to help illustrate why the project is in such a state.

If they had owned the past problems, and gave a straightforward answer along the lines of "That was a long time ago, it was an admittedly difficult period in our personal lives, but we have learned from it and moved on," the stalker / strangler story would not have made the article.

CR will absolve himself of anything!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

kw0134 posted:

Human desire is a really weird thing, and it's clear that there's some deep primal itch being scratched by Crobbers. In defense of that longing people do some bizarre things, like throw thousands of dollars at an underbaked project and attacking rabidly against any and all comers. The problem is viewing it as a commercial transaction when identity and longing are apparently wrapped around the project as tightly as it can be.

Maybe, but there's more than one underlying pathology here. Attacking a negative article won't make the game come out, but backers defend it as if it will. Saying "goons are behind the FUD" won't make the game come out, but backers repeat it regardless. E:D being bad doesn't make SC good, but they recite mantras as if it's true. This is basically barbaric, primitive, religious magical thinking, and it permeates every level of this project. Chris is the only one who is failing in epic fashion, he's the only one they should hold accountable, and he's the only one they never will. That's not just longing. These people are completely broken. I'm prepared to categorize them as a sub-species at this point.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Aqua Seafoam Shame posted:

I dunno, I tried Googling "Forbes", and all I get is picture of Steve Forbes as a hot bear. I think there's a bear conspiracy afoot.

Huh. Something must be broken, you should be seeing hairy gay men.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Looks more like he stole it wholesale from Homeworld 2 or some poo poo.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

peter gabriel posted:

I can be angry no more, Sandi has seized my crown

Don't let her hold you down by the neck!

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

super :lol:

Poison Taco is a god drat Q anon nut

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

MarcusSA posted:

No no no, get the lore right you jerk.

That photo in the airport when they were on their way to Maui Maui or whatever island in the pacific that went totally unannounced and received no special attemtiom from backers was a candid shot that had nothing to do with anything related to stalking or doxxing.

You see, the photo was taken by a backer who graciously pledged over 500$ to see his dream g*drones on for hours*

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

No no no, get the lore right you jerk.

That photo in the airport when they were on their way to Maui Maui or whatever island in the pacific that went totally unannounced and received no special attemtiom from backers was a candid shot that had nothing to do with anything related to stalking or doxxing.

You see, the photo was taken by a backer who graciously pledged over 500$ to see his dream g*drones on for hours*

This is now cannon.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
How do you "respond in time to catch them afterwards"?

If you responded in time, you wouldnt catch them afterwards.

But I digress, lets get back to the grounded realism of my spaceship that can't do mach 2 in space and has GRAVITY GOO.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Or is Ground In Realism a codeword for the movie industry's Based On A True Story.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

big nipples big life posted:

super :lol:

Poison Taco is a god drat Q anon nut

A shitizen being a Q-head is entirely unsurprising yet still pretty hilarious.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

The Titanic posted:

Way back in the day I fangirled over Final Fantasy XII and stood in line and bought the collectors tin or whatever it was for some $20 extra.

Final Fantasy XII came out “way back in the day” now? :negative:

Last FF that I played was X. Gah.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

kw0134 posted:

But that's exactly how marketing works. You work to establish a brand that people can identify with and attach value to. You're either a Coke person or a Pepsi person. You're a Ford guy or a Chevy guy. Starbucks or Dunkin' Donuts. In a world where social media allows you to connect with anyone, people struggle to find what they're going to connect over. Star Citizen was a promise; an opportunity to experience your own personal Star Wars in a massively immersive environment where you could be something. You'd have an experience you could share with your friends, doing something ambitious and amazing. People will gladly pay hundreds or even thousands to achieve that dream. Escapism is incredibly powerful.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Scruffpuff posted:

There are people out there that are broken beyond saving, in ways normal people can't possibly comprehend. Trying to put yourself in their shoes is wasteful and impossible. It would be easier to understand a jellyfish and its motivations than people this emotionally and mentally damaged. There are people who spend their careers studying this, and they get old and die while getting no closer to understanding it. Backer brains are as broken as CIG's code base.

I just don't get it. It's like buying a house, and the original blueprint is amazing. But as it goes, the walls are cardboard, the foundation is mud, and I'm still getting more pictures of what more rooms are going to look like but the rooms I have already are nothing like the old pictures I already paid for. And the whole time I'm somehow not getting super pissed off but instead I keep funding construction.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Although it's a completely bullshit grift, Q's predictions are more likely to occur than Star Citizen's release.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

skaboomizzy posted:

A shitizen being a Q-head is entirely unsurprising yet still pretty hilarious.

It’s just the same game of SOON

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

Final Fantasy XII came out “way back in the day” now? :negative:

Last FF that I played was X. Gah.

I hate to say, but 2006 was a while ago now. :(