Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
sorry i just don't like ff12, it's far and away my least favorite ff.

i say this having finished ff2a and ff3-ds, and played enough of 11 to know it wasn't my thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I was also always irritated by the comparisons to SW. The similarities are clearly intentional but they're also superficial. Gabranth is nothing like Vader beyond "wears armor and is redeemed in the end."

To say nothing of the plot which has entirely different themes and context.

As for my favorite battle system? Probably IX or X. I like Classes and X pretty much has Classes until endgame.

Favorite story? That's tougher. VII or X maybe but it really depends on my mood.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

NikkolasKing posted:

I was also always irritated by the comparisons to SW. The similarities are clearly intentional but they're also superficial. Gabranth is nothing like Vader beyond "wears armor and is redeemed in the end."

To say nothing of the plot which has entirely different themes and context.

I apologize if I implied otherwise. The snark clearly didn't come through properly.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Star Wars wasted so much potential by not giving Chewbacca a sexy accent.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Bruceski posted:

I apologize if I implied otherwise. The snark clearly didn't come through properly.

Nah it's fine. It's just something other people have seriously said as an actual criticism for a long time.

Also can I just say I absolutely love the final boss theme in FFXII? It really is one of the best in the series IMO.
https://youtu.be/-eEGE98jW4M?t=249

I think one of XII's best strengths is its thematic consistency. Some people criticize it for the god stuff coming out of nowhere but it's all tied to this idea of being chained to the past. This idea runs through every aspect of the story and its character arcs and culminates in this amazing final boss and theme song. It truly is the ultimate battle for freedom; freedom from mortal and immortal tyrants alike as well as freedom from our own inner demons.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Speaking of, is revenant wings any good?

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Are there any points in FF7 where you’ll have to use multiple teams? Because I’m playing it for the first time and it doesn’t seem like there’s any reason to not just focus on your three favorite party members

Barudak
May 7, 2007

S.J. posted:

Mechanically: Not really, no
Story Wise: How do you feel about holding people hostage with bomb collars and forcing them to do your bidding?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Scrap Dragon posted:

Are there any points in FF7 where you’ll have to use multiple teams? Because I’m playing it for the first time and it doesn’t seem like there’s any reason to not just focus on your three favorite party members

there aren't any points where you have to use multiple teams but there are parts where you have to use certain characters. don't ignore cait sith and yuffie or you might have a hard time at one particular section

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Characters that aren't in your active party get a portion of battle XP, so it's not too hard to keep them up to speed.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Scrap Dragon posted:

As TWD said, there are times when you have to use certain characters and those can be really annoying if you have ignored them all game. I'm not sure where you are though so maybe you haven't even met these characters yet.

There is one specific fight though when you use multiple teams but I think it's optional.
I never understood Bizarro Sephiroth. You have multiple teams but you kill him with one team? The last time I completed FFVII it was with a mod and it forced you to use every team.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Scrap Dragon posted:

Exactly one, but it's past the point of no return, and you kinda need to work for it.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

NikkolasKing posted:

As TWD said, there are times when you have to use certain characters and those can be really annoying if you have ignored them all game. I'm not sure where you are though so maybe you haven't even met these characters yet.

There is one specific fight though when you use multiple teams but I think it's optional.
I never understood Bizarro Sephiroth. You have multiple teams but you kill him with one team? The last time I completed FFVII it was with a mod and it forced you to use every team.

I remember splitting my party into two teams but because the game never forced me to switch I just breezed through killing him with Cloud/Tifa/Cid, the team I had been using for most of the game :v:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Fister Roboto posted:

Every now and then I feel like replaying FF10, but then I remember that it has no cutscene skip in any version of it.

I'm half tempted to redownload FFX and use a save editor to give me a perfect sphere grid right off the bat, because fuuuuuuuuuuck making one of those legit.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BisbyWorl posted:

I'm half tempted to redownload FFX and use a save editor to give me a perfect sphere grid right off the bat, because fuuuuuuuuuuck making one of those legit.

If you have the PC version the cheats it comes with lets you do that.

The downside is of course you have to fill in the grid yourself which takes several hours for just three characters.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Fister Roboto posted:

Well poo poo, I guess every single work of fiction can be a ripoff of Star Wars if you fudge things around like that hard enough.

The thing is that these Star Wars similarities or references are entirely intentional.

Sometimes it's as on-the-nose as having two guys (who question their motivations) working for a scifi empire named Biggs and Wedge.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
They’re all D&D campaigns GMed by a huge Star Wars fan.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mega64 posted:

They’re all D&D campaigns GMed by a huge Star Wars fan.

Serious talk: I miss what people call Vancian magic. Stuff like how in Final Fantasy III magic was split off into levels and you had different number of uses for each level.

Lv 1 Magic you could use 5 times so cast Fire 5 times.
Lv 3 was like Fira and you might only be able to use it 4 times.
Lv. 5 was Firaga and you had 2 uses.
etc..

I think it's way more interesting than the MP system in later games and it's all taken from D&D apparently.

I was told this Vancian system was in FF1 and 2 as well but I could swear it wasn't in the version of FF2 I played.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

It’s not in FF2, they went with MP there due to how that magic system worked.

It’s in the NES and PS1 (and Wonderswan) versions of FF1, with GBA and later swapping to the MP system.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Well I finally got off my butt and finished XII TZA. I really like that ending. Boss was a bit anticlimactic due to me grinding out the ultimate dagger ages ago, but hey, great music.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vancian magic is miserable for tabletop and not really any better for the sort of game final fantasy is/has become which is why not only did they ditch vancian casting they have also not even used MP for almost a fourth of the mainline series entries.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Barudak posted:

Vancian magic is miserable for tabletop and not really any better for the sort of game final fantasy is/has become which is why not only did they ditch vancian casting they have also not even used MP for almost a fourth of the mainline series entries.

Do you actually prefer FFVIII's system of stocking magic? Lots of people already criticize magic for being less efficient than mashing X in these games and having your supply of magic tied to your stats - which means your stats go down as you use said magic - didn't help matters.

I remember asking about RPGs with something like Vancian magic or at least what FF3 did and was told Suikoden had similar stuff.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I dont like FFVIII's system a ton, but it exists because both mp and vancian magic dont accomplish how FF games work in their design. It was an experiment, albeit one that didnt really succeed.

Edit: Also regarding your request for Vancian casting: Wizardry and a ton of its descendents

Barudak fucked around with this message at 12:34 on May 4, 2019

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I remember liking a few of the things FFIII DS did with the spell charge system, which kinda showed me that it's got some interesting potential uses if done right. I recall Scholars getting a really impressive amount of low-level spell charges but not much at all for higher levels, making them good for dungeon runs and sustainability but bad at the boss fight at the end.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I found this old photo from my twitter and it reminded me how much fun FFXV was

https://twitter.com/wlthrfeng/status/817136878134718472

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
My only problem with FFIX, an otherwise terrific game, is that Trance has to be used as soon as it comes up.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Which is dumber, Trance or Tetra Master?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Which is dumber, Trance or Tetra Master?

on the one hand, Tetra Master is hella dumb, but you also never have to engage with it for anything of importance (even when you play it, you don't have to win, I don't think, right?)

on the other, you never need trance to win, and I always liked that it was integrated into the story better than most other desperation attacks/limit breaks

so probably Tetra Master

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Barudak posted:

13 is the best mechanically, followed by X-2, followed by V.

a good list, that i agree with

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Serious talk: I miss what people call Vancian magic. Stuff like how in Final Fantasy III magic was split off into levels and you had different number of uses for each level.

Lv 1 Magic you could use 5 times so cast Fire 5 times.
Lv 3 was like Fira and you might only be able to use it 4 times.
Lv. 5 was Firaga and you had 2 uses.
etc..

I think it's way more interesting than the MP system in later games and it's all taken from D&D apparently.

I was told this Vancian system was in FF1 and 2 as well but I could swear it wasn't in the version of FF2 I played.

Vancian Magic works best as a story conceit, like i think it has a lot of cool narrative tension when you can only use a spell so many times, so you have to make sure you only use it when you need it, but as a gameplay mechanic it feels terrible to play with, like wretched

so you know, it works best in the original context it was created for (stories about wizards fighting) and gary gygax is a hack

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its sort of alright within the context of first edition where dungeon runs were random in length and killing things was something you tried to avoid since they were nothing but resource drains and playing table top means having fiddly resource pools like MP ads tons of book keeping so simplicity can trump elegance.

Devoid of such context theyre absolutely miserable for no real payoff.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

NikkolasKing posted:

I remember asking about RPGs with something like Vancian magic or at least what FF3 did and was told Suikoden had similar stuff.

Suikoden does have a similar system. Characters will have various numbers of slots of magic, then you equip a rune with different levels of magic. So for instance your hero has 3/2/1/1 slots, and he equips a Fire rune. He gets three shots of the basic fire magic, 2 of the next level, and one each of the last two levels. There are later, more powerful runes that drop the first level and drop all the others down, so you effectively get three shots of the second-level Fire magic and one shot of a brand-new more powerful magic for the fourth slot.

It gets a little weird later when they start adding more stuff to the system and have more runes that aren't just magic, but the first two games are the best anyway. If you dig that system, I'd recommend giving Suikoden 1 and 2 a try. If nothing else S1 is like 10-15 hours long so you can breeze through it in a weekend and see if you like it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
the reason suikoden does vancian casting right is, the dungeons are short enough that if you spammed your spells you'll still have plenty left over. the only time you'll run out is when you're fighting a really powerful boss.

final fantasy vancian casting is like, cast fire? i sure hope you don't need to cast cure later

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"
If I remember correctly either Pillars of Erernity of Baludur’s Gate uses vancian magic.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Baldurs Gate, and by extension any game directly based on the Dungeons and Dragons license for every edition except 4th will use it. So that means Icewind Dale and Planescape: Torment, obviously as well. Pillars of Eternity uses it for most, but not all, casters.

Edit: If you have a spell system where dungeons are short enough youll be able to safely blast through spells Vancian is not the right system for you.

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"
Final Fantasy VX would be made a thousand times better with a right wing radio channel to listen to.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

S.J. posted:

Bad gameplay bad story

S.J.
May 19, 2008

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Bad gameplay bad story

But why :(

Barudak
May 7, 2007

S.J. posted:

But why :(

Its a strategy game where strategy is irrelevant and the main characters make a person their slave by attaching a bomb collar to his neck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Barudak posted:

Its a strategy game where strategy is irrelevant and the main characters make a person their slave by attaching a bomb collar to his neck.

Okay. Good answer.