Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Measly Twerp posted:

A temporary workaround:

• Navigate to about :debugging
  • Click the Load Temporary Add-on button
  • Navigate to the .xpi file in your profile directory select it and click Open.

To find your profile directory:

Windows: C:\Users\your username\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\profile-id.default\extensions
Linux: ~/.mozilla/firefox/profile-id.default/extensions/
MacOS: ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/profile-id.default/extensions

This got ublock back up for now, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Measly Twerp posted:

A temporary workaround:

• Navigate to about :debugging
  • Click the Load Temporary Add-on button
  • Navigate to the .xpi file in your profile directory select it and click Open.

To find your profile directory:

Windows: C:\Users\your username\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\profile-id.default\extensions
Linux: ~/.mozilla/firefox/profile-id.default/extensions/
MacOS: ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/profile-id.default/extensions

Didn't work for me, do you need a specific version of Firefox?

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Dramicus posted:

Didn't work for me, do you need a specific version of Firefox?

At what step did it break? If there's an error loading an extension it should say so below the Load Temporary Addon button.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Measly Twerp posted:

At what step did it break? If there's an error loading an extension it should say so below the Load Temporary Addon button.

Nothing broke, I browsed to them, opened them and they appeared below in the config tab. Then I closed firefox and reopened it and they are still visible in the debugging tab, but don't function.

Edit: I'm an idiot, it works, it just doesn't persist after restarting the browser.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 4, 2019

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
You can set xpinstall.signatures.required to false temporary workaround depending on what options FF was compiled with. I don't think it'll work on normal Windows installs (you'll need dev/nightly) but at least on some linux distros they enable the relevant options in their regular builds.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

You can alternatively install the Unbranded builds, which do not have signature checks if you set the about :config flag:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Add-ons/Extension_Signing#Latest_Builds

astral fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 4, 2019

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Welcome to "cloud computing". Today it's your web browser, tomorrow, they'll disable your whole computer for some similar arbitrary BS reason. Don't say we didn't warn you!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
oh my god is this what the internet is like without the adblocker, jfc why do normal people use it again?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

*breaks glass, opens Chrome*

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
:chloe:

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Im_Special posted:

Welcome to "cloud computing". Today it's your web browser, tomorrow, they'll disable your whole computer for some similar arbitrary BS reason. Don't say we didn't warn you!
Code signing isn't cloud computing

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
no, but having your app poo poo the bed because it can't access the internet is extremely cloud computing.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Im_Special posted:

Since this is related to expired certificates for code signing, it doesn't really have to do with cloud computing. This would affect you even if you weren't connected to the internet.

Likely, Mozilla will update and resign all addons that they host. Then once the browser pulls down the new version, that will unlock them.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

just happened to me 5 minutes ago with almost all my extensions. only one i really cared about was ublock origin but this is a pain

edit: temporary add-on fix posted earlier worked but this is still insane that it's necessary and apparently no one had any idea that this was happening

Thauros fucked around with this message at 07:53 on May 4, 2019

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Here's a new fix: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=19824410

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It would be interesting to see if ad revenue spikes today. That spike would pretty accurately measure revenue lost to ad blocking.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
This morning I read an article that firefox had grown in browser market share to its highest in more than a year.

Life comes at you fast.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

PhazonLink posted:

oh my god is this what the internet is like without the adblocker, jfc why do normal people use it again?

loving hell thank you.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Overbite posted:

This got ublock back up for now, thanks

This worked for me, but only for umatrix not ublock. Ublock doesn't have an xpi file for me, probably because I panicked and tried to reinstall it before I realized it's a firefox wide problem.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Klyith posted:

This morning I read an article that firefox had grown in browser market share to its highest in more than a year.

Life comes at you fast.

Cant have that. The masters at Google must be satisfied.

Or utter shitwitted incompetence? Who can say?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

quote:

12:50 p.m. UTC / 03:50 a.m. PDT: We rolled-out a fix for release, beta and nightly users on Desktop. The fix will be automatically applied in the background within the next few hours, you don’t need to take active steps.

In order to be able to provide this fix on short notice, we are using the Studies system. You can check if you have studies enabled by going to Firefox Preferences -> Privacy & Security -> Allow Firefox to install and run studies.

You can disable studies again after your add-ons have been re-enabled.

We are working on a general fix that doesn’t need to rely on this and will keep you updated.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lol their clock is off too, it's only 11:10 UTC right now

EpicCodeMonkey
Feb 19, 2011
Studies would their their program for pushing out random experimental code into the browser, yes? The one that many people disabled after they used it to push out advertising for Mr Robot?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Big fan of them providing one route to getting my extensions re-enabled that involves me losing all my settings.
And oh now poo poo like this for every add-on:

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

I went to about:config, typed normandy, changed run_interval_seconds to 60, and a moment later my addons came back. Then i changed it back to 21600

ymmv

Passburger
May 4, 2013

where the red fern gropes posted:

I went to about :config, typed normandy, changed run_interval_seconds to 60, and a moment later my addons came back. Then i changed it back to 21600

ymmv

This worked for me. Thank you!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

PhazonLink posted:

I went to youtube and almost cried it was so bad.

Worklurker
Jan 2, 2014

That studies thing worked, the dark ages is over once again.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Ya know, this is something that seems like more of a Google thing. I'd expect this to happen to Chrome, and for Google to reply with :shrug:

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Kheldarn posted:

Ya know, this is something that seems like more of a Google thing. I'd expect this to happen to Chrome, and for Google to reply with :shrug:

Feature not a bug

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Working for me again as of this morning. I had to reinstall all my addons but all my settings, userscripts etc. were saved.

Kind of a big fuckup on Mozilla's part, but seeing as I've tried and hated every other browser, I'm going down with this ship I suppose.

larper
Apr 9, 2019
Always put those cert expirations on your google calendar folks.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

e: all good

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 5, 2019

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
This is what I did to fix my disabled addons, ymmv.

1) Close Browser

2) Open "extensions.json" with Notepad++ (@...AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\XXXXXXXX.default)

3) Replace all instances of "appDisabled":true with "appDisabled":false

4) Replace all instances of "signedState":-1 to "signedState":2

5) Save and start browser

6) Disable and re-enable all extensions in about:addons

7) Finally, make "extensions.json" Read only.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

where the red fern gropes posted:

I went to about :config, typed normandy, changed run_interval_seconds to 60, and a moment later my addons came back. Then i changed it back to 21600

ymmv

this worked for me as well, extensions are back.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

This is apparently the addon they're pushing in their studies based mitigation, you know, for people that don't want to enable those. Or wait for them to trigger, I guess.

https://storage.googleapis.com/moz-fx-normandy-prod-addons/extensions/hotfix-update-xpi-intermediate%40mozilla.com-1.0.2-signed.xpi

It worked instantly on my android.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Geemer posted:

This is apparently the addon they're pushing in their studies based mitigation, you know, for people that don't want to enable those. Or wait for them to trigger, I guess.

https://storage.googleapis.com/moz-fx-normandy-prod-addons/extensions/hotfix-update-xpi-intermediate%40mozilla.com-1.0.2-signed.xpi

This worked for me!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Geemer posted:

I love you.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Geemer posted:

Thanks, that was an immediate fix for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Geemer posted:

Does this drop any settings or themes? It's not a permanent fix right, they will send out some other update later?