Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I made it about a third of the way into The Lies of Locke Lamora when I was 18 before realizing that I was too old for it. It honestly reads like a YA novel.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Apr 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Lynch is good. He's fast paced, moves the story along, and isn't up his own rear end with prose.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Lies of Locke Lamora owns. Especially if as your measuring stick you're using Rothfart.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I made it about a third of the way into The Lies of Locke Lamora when I was 18 before realizing that I was too old for it. It honestly reads like a YA novel.

You're never too old for Animorphs.

Also those quotes are pretty laughable because we really don't learn poo poo of value. We know currency, yeah, because that's what the entire drat books are about, and it isn't even very consistent with that one thing. We don't know anything about the world outside of the Four Corners, and hell, we barely know anything about the world INSIDE the Four Corners. It's set in a small continent with only a few nations and we know very little about most of those nations as is.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Sham bam bamina! posted:

You say "criteria" as if there's some sort of judgement going on. You can throw any old horseshit you want into a fantasy world, and the readers will eat it right up.

That was more the point of my statement. Good writing, interesting characters, interesting plot? No, what they want is a map that shows where castle Belzenlock is in comparison to The Northlands.

Hint: to the South.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Reene posted:

I will fight you Lynch is way better :colbert:

:agreed:

ElGroucho posted:

Lynch is good. He's fast paced, moves the story along, and isn't up his own rear end with prose.

Benson Cunningham posted:

Lies of Locke Lamora owns. Especially if as your measuring stick you're using Rothfart.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
High praise indeed. Unencumbered by trifles like "prose", the fast-paced, quickly-moving Gentleman Bastard series surpasses even the standard set by the Kingkiller Chronicle.

You guys could seriously be talking about Dean Koontz here.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 27, 2019

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Lynch rules because his hero fails every now and then

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

High praise indeed. Unencumbered by trifles like "prose", the fast-paced, quickly-moving Gentleman Bastard series surpasses even the standard set by the Kingkiller Chronicle.

You guys could seriously be talking about Dean Koontz here.

I dunno, this really sounds like you're intentionally misunderstanding them for a dumb dunk.

Since like, the comparison is to Rothfuss, who is absolutely up his own rear end with prose.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Of course I was going for a dumb dunk. You could have bolded "even the standard set by the Kingkiller Chronicle" too. But I do think that the compliments people are giving Lynch here are surprisingly tepid for the enthusiasm of their delivery.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Of course I was going for a dumb dunk. You could have bolded "even the standard set by the Kingkiller Chronicle" too. But I do think that the compliments people are giving Lynch here are surprisingly tepid for the enthusiasm of their delivery.

Maybe they like it a lot even though they know it's not some amazing wonderbook of Pure Literature.

And also there's someone in the thread who goes for dumb dunks on even the slightest amount of "like book".

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Abercrombie vs. Lynch deathfight, go!

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Scott Lynch, Rothfuss and Neil Gaiman all live in Wisconsin. Must be the cold weather and heavy drinking.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I got about a third of the way into Lies of Locke Lamora before realising that there was one female character in the book, and she dies to motivate the male main characters.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Gluten Freeman posted:

I got about a third of the way into Lies of Locke Lamora before realising that there was one female character in the book, and she dies to motivate the male main characters.

That's funny, Lynch caught flak from the chuds for making a pirate captain a woman in the 2nd book

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Gluten Freeman posted:

As much as I enjoy the series, this happens again in the second book.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

Subvisual Haze posted:

Scott Lynch, Rothfuss and Neil Gaiman all live in Wisconsin. Must be the cold weather and heavy drinking.

Lynch moved a couple of years ago to Massachusetts or somewhere nearby.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Subvisual Haze posted:

It's either write fantasy novels or be a serial killer. Those are the only two occupations available in Wisconsin.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Benson Cunningham posted:

Random series on Kindle Unlimited own compared to Rothfuss so you aren't really saying much there.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Random Series is a brilliant trilogy though. The PoV narrators in Stochastic Sequence are delightfully unpredictable while the tangled web of deceit in Deterministic Parallels is a joy to unravel due to - and not despite - the unusual narration explaining each twist before it happens.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Random series on Kindle Unlimited own compared to Rothfuss so you aren't really saying much there.

Turns out fantasy has an embarrassingly low bar to measure up against.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Dienes posted:

As much as I enjoy the series, this happens again in the second book.

Then the third book had what was supposed to be a high stakes, cutthroat cat and mouse game of political intrigue come off as a tepid fraternity prank war.

I wish Lynch the best as a person but I really don't get the praise he gets. Being better than Rothfuss isn't a bar worth celebrating

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Lynch has admitted he has done bad with regards to fridging Nazca and Ezri which is something that writers like, uh, Rothfuss won't even do. And has tried to do better in each successive book, which I think he has; Zamira loving owns, and the way he wrote Sabetha is probably the best way he possibly could have written her after two books of buildup. The next book has promised to have lots and lots of queer people in it, so that's something to look forward to as well. As for the third book, it's a transparent bridge novel, but the real story was the Esparra poo poo anyway.

Also there's nothing wrong with YA. :shrug:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Reene posted:

Also there's nothing wrong with YA. :shrug:
I love plenty of books written for adolescents – hell, I love Dr. Seuss – but there's a lot of a specific kind of pulpiness that The Lies of Locke Lamora reminded me of. Artemis Fowl: The Eternity Code might be a fun read, but it's not nearly as interesting now as it was when I was a kid. Alex Rider was dull even then.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 28, 2019

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Lynch is good for exactly one time with one book when you were doing mindless fantasy skim reading and didn't know any better and then once you do, you try re-reading it or reading the second book and you realize your terrible mistake

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Funny, I had a similar experience with Rothfuss.

Which may've ruined my patience for the Lies of Locke Lamora. Started off right up my alley, but felt too childish to finish.

And I still answer Guess What with Chicken Butt.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Also, Lynch is fine in audiobook format. He got me through a couple of unwanted road trips.

Try listening to Rothfuss on audio book. You'll be screaming "WHO GIVES A gently caress!!!" in traffic. You'll feel ashamed at the sex ninjas. And you'll be begging for vehicular death any time Deena comes around.

mewse
May 2, 2006

ElGroucho posted:

Also, Lynch is fine in audiobook format. He got me through a couple of unwanted road trips.

Try listening to Rothfuss on audio book. You'll be screaming "WHO GIVES A gently caress!!!" in traffic. You'll feel ashamed at the sex ninjas. And you'll be begging for vehicular death any time Deena comes around.

:lol:

I audiobooked lynch as well, most annoying part was not knowing how Camorr etc was spelled.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

idiotsavant posted:

to be fair rothfuss only comes across as a creepy weirdo whereas whedon is at the very least an actual abuser

So uh I’m quoting this 2 month old post to say that Rothfuss is indeed a creepy weirdo. I was at a convention and a recent acquaintance, a woman half his age, geeked out upon meeting him and invited him to sit and talk at a table with other fans. He offered her a private chat in his hotel room with the promise of ice cream. She says no at which point he promptly about faces leaving a trail of dust and beard hair behind him, just total cold shoulder.

I got loads of inside baseball on his dealings and I can’t speak about it without giving away peoples’ identity but let’s just say that the only professional thing this guy runs correctly is his charity which is the only nice thing I can say about the dude. If you’re in a business deal with him he will forget your name, blow you off, and waste your time and money.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 09:16 on May 4, 2019

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

al-azad posted:

So uh I’m quoting this 2 month old post to say that Rothfuss is indeed a creepy weirdo. I was at a convention and a recent acquaintance, a woman half his age, geeked out upon meeting him and invited him to sit and talk at a table with other fans. He offered her a private chat in his hotel room with the promise of ice cream. She says no at which point he promptly about faces leaving a trail of dust and beard hair behind him, just total cold shoulder.

Drawing right from the pedophile's play book, that one. Surprised he didn't tell the grown-rear end woman that if she came up she could have a puppy, too.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

:yiikes:

I don't even know, but I'm surprised he approached a woman after writing Kvothe.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

al-azad posted:

I got loads of inside baseball on his dealings and I can’t speak about it without giving away peoples’ identity but let’s just say that the only professional thing this guy runs correctly is his charity which is the only nice thing I can say about the dude. If you’re in a business deal with him he will forget your name, blow you off, and waste your time and money.

Dude, his charity is like the scummiest possible version of a charity while still being legal. It takes contributions, pays its employees, and forwards the remaining contributions to real charities. After everyone gets a cut, how much money do you think actually reaches the intended needy?

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

I demand more tea, sis

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

BananaNutkins posted:

Dude, his charity is like the scummiest possible version of a charity while still being legal. It takes contributions, pays its employees, and forwards the remaining contributions to real charities. After everyone gets a cut, how much money do you think actually reaches the intended needy?

Lol I was actually about to come here to post the same thing. It's about as much of a scam as you can get while still being legal.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

al-azad posted:

Again, not surprising.

I figure the only reason he hasn't had accusers come forward is because he's probably hobo Jeffrey Dahmer or the fact that even his fans are repulsed by him.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

BananaNutkins posted:

That's not scummy at all, nonprofits are allowed to pay employees a salary. The tax forms are publicly available, you can see exactly how much money is left.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Can't believe this shithead does fundraising for charity.

You guys really need to settle down.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Can't believe this shithead does fundraising for charity.

You guys really need to settle down.

I see he's paying himself 6 figures and has been giving himself a 10-20K raise each year. No wonder he isn't writing.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

al-azad posted:

That's not scummy at all, nonprofits are allowed to pay employees a salary. The tax forms are publicly available, you can see exactly how much money is left.

The point is that he's acting as a funnel to other charities that are actually doing things. He's a glorified middle man that collects money because a certain class of nerds love endorsing nerd venues over venues that get poo poo done.

I don't think he's horrible for doing so, but let's call a spade a spade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

al-azad posted:

hahahaha yessss