Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
There are at least two island configurations I can recall off hand where they have a beach in a little protective bay or cove, but even with them being relatively open they are still hell on ship pathing. It's even worse if the shape of the island and its position on the map requires ships to hug the coast or make a tight turn. Sometimes they phase through each other but other times they'll bounce of each other or somehow get caught on terrain. The easiest place to watch this in action is if you ever try to trade at Anne's dock and have to manually guide the ship in. God help you if anyone else is trying to get in or out at the same time.

I've also tried few different configurations to squeeze in more piers and find if I set them up in a row perpendicular to the island ships have a tendency to get stuck or slow to a crawl. They'll also some how force ships already docked away from the pier they're at as they attempt to sail between the edge of the dock and the ship docked at it - looks weird more than anything else but if they happen to drift into the path of another ship it causes more traffic chaos.

More than anything else right now I want them to focus on and fix ship behaviour and pathing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

The worst island for pathing is the New World island that basically is a thin strip of beach between two thicker halves like an island barbell.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I love this game but I have some beef with it right now.

I got to engineers and that's really it in a sandbox game. The tier is my endgame. Organizing beyond that is just... meh. Too much effort.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Alkydere posted:

The worst island for pathing is the New World island that basically is a thin strip of beach between two thicker halves like an island barbell.

I love building my town on the isthmus and making it look all scenic, but otherwise yes that island is easily one of the worst in the game - there is very little arable land and if there are oil reserves on it they're usually on opposite ends of the island, forcing you to import several shiploads of steel and take up even more space to place tracks. And unless you want extremely inefficient trains you'll probably have to twin the tracks part of the way, taking up even more space. Not my first choice when settling the New World.

When it comes to protected harbours one of the larger ones is:

Looks nice but is hell on ships trying to get in or out if the have to make a turn. In the game this was taken from this is my main industry island and the bay was a harbour, but in order to get back to my main island all ships had to cut towards that outcropping of rocks on the left of the picture then immediately turn right, except every ship would try to cut as close to the land as possible and they'd bunch up there. Sometimes having to turn around to get out of the way, or bounce off each other until they cleared the mess. Some ships even became airborne as they bounced off the island. Eventually had to move the piers elsewhere to help speed things up even though the other beach was much, much smaller.

Also, ships and harbour defense guns can fire through land so trying to force your opponents to funnel into one tight little space like that isn't very effective.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I thought about buying Anno 1800 but changed my mind when I remembered that I had Anno 2205 with all its DLC and hadn't played more than a few minutes of it. Well, 20-30 hours later I've completed the lunar program and have one last goal to get a large amount of the top tier citizens so I can build a stadium. My time in the game has turned into a pretty tedious balancing of tiny amounts of resources between my regions along with a lot of demolishing and rebuilding so I can slowly grow (every time I try to get +1 of an advanced product I need to spend like an hour making new fruit plantations and other poo poo all the way up the chain). Should I push through? Does Anno 1800 feel better than this when you're late in the game? Help me goons.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 3, 2019

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The only Anno gave I ever really played was 2070, back before the ocean floor expansion. I liked it a lot apparently, steam says I dumped 258 hours into it. I was looking at buying this game, and then saw that I apparently have 2205 in my steam library with all the DLC? I must've bought it on sale at some point and then completely forgot about it. I'm almost certainly gonna buy 1800 at some point and play through it, but is 2205 worth spending some time on if I'm really into the future setting? Opinions on it seem pretty divided from what I've been able to tell through a quick glance through the earlier pages of the thread.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Fallom posted:

I thought about buying Anno 1800 but changed my mind when I remembered that I had Anno 2205 with all its DLC and hadn't played more than a few minutes of it. Well, 20-30 hours later I've completed the lunar program and have one last goal to get a large amount of the top tier citizens so I can build a stadium. My time in the game has turned into a pretty tedious balancing of tiny amounts of resources between my regions along with a lot of demolishing and rebuilding so I can slowly grow (every time I try to get +1 of an advanced product I need to spend like an hour making new fruit plantations and other poo poo all the way up the chain). Should I push through? Does Anno 1800 feel better than this when you're late in the game? Help me goons.

Tier 4 in Anno 1800 is pretty tough really. I almost wish I could just go back and play the beta, that was less trying on my brain cells.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah, Tier 4 is weird in 1800.

On the one hand, the new access to oil and the ability of electricity to double production when laid out well pushes you to really re-think and re-arrange layouts to make it the most effective. And commuter docks allowin population to work across islands means you can take much better advantage of smaller islands or reworking cities into mega locations, so there’s lot of reasons to completely upend and rework everything.

On the other hand... commuter docks making population global makes everything a lot easier because you don’t have to think about keeping pops on islands supplied, you just pull everyone into one big home city and suddenly a lot of the logistical challenge vanishes. That’s really what kills my interest; all of a sudden there’s a lot less thinking as you just move all your housing to one or two islands and all your industry to a different island and then the Old World is pretty much solved.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Here's my thoughts on 2205 after 331 hours in it:

It's a very good game, but it's not a very Anno game. If you're going to play it, do it with all the expansions, on the hardest difficulty, and if you want an extra challenge try not to involve yourself in the World Market. It's punishing but anything less is really, really easy. All the combat is optional. There's a phone app/game you can play to earn ingame resources. Nothing is very well explained, for example there are massive MASSIVE bonuses if you push space station development that are just...not really explained. Ever.

The main complaint is that it's dumbed down. This did, however, result in one of the best 'what do my citizens want me to make and how much of it' interfaces in an Anno game, ever. My main complaint (this occurred AGAIN when I pulled out 2205 to tide me over to 1800) is that even with 331 hours of experience stuff will happen that'll make you gnash your teeth because of the design decisions they made when tacking on expansions and trying to not make combat as esoteric. You can encounter two events at the same time that can bring down a corp you've spent 40 hours building that you just can't prepare for.

It's an utterly gorgeous game, though. Some of the sound bites when you zoom in close are hilarious. I would play it until you are starting to sense you hate it, and then stop playing it, don't try to push through. If you feel yourself not liking it, just stop.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

"You're tying the knot, never!"
Game saved.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Black Griffon posted:

Game saved.

"Are those...mountains...moving?"

The Anno games have always had inane chatter when you zoom in.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
"What a PERFECT day!"

The inane chatter is the best part. The Farmer chatter in this one is I think overrepresented because some lines also show up in the New World for some reason, and much larger numbers of farmhouses on average overall.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Restarted my campaign game because I was unhappy with pretty much everything and spent more time playing custom games rather than finishing the main game, and it's so fun to realize how much poo poo you automate the more you play the game. Spent like a tenth of of the time I spent the first time putting together this. Less time spent on beautification, apart from the main avenue, but mostly because I'm constantly moving onto the next step of a chain.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

boar guy posted:

Here's my thoughts on 2205 after 331 hours in it:

I agree with a lot of this except invasions system. The sector invasions are kinds half assed and don't really ad anything, it's basically just "the moon terrorists show up, your income and production goes down until you call in your fleet to blow up a couple dozen ships" which is just busy work since theirs no way to prevent it or put an end to them.

Yeah the first time it happens it's neat, maybe the second.
Then the third time it's a distraction because youre busy in another sector and ughhh just let me get the last thing set up.

Then you switch over, fix it, and another sector gets invaded 15 minutes later because of the rng and I'm starting to think that starting over and turning this poo poo off is a good idea ahhhh just let me finish optimizing my space station

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Agean90 posted:

I agree with a lot of this except invasions system. The sector invasions are kinds half assed and don't really ad anything, it's basically just "the moon terrorists show up, your income and production goes down until you call in your fleet to blow up a couple dozen ships" which is just busy work since theirs no way to prevent it or put an end to them.

Yeah the first time it happens it's neat, maybe the second.
Then the third time it's a distraction because youre busy in another sector and ughhh just let me get the last thing set up.

Then you switch over, fix it, and another sector gets invaded 15 minutes later because of the rng and I'm starting to think that starting over and turning this poo poo off is a good idea ahhhh just let me finish optimizing my space station

the invasions are what i was talking about, when stuff is broken. like, they dont allow you to build in the arctic sector for 45 minutes because of an 'its extra cold' event, but then you can't expand and send more stuff back to your temperate zone, and then the temperate zone has a requirement out of nowhere to plant 150 trees but you dont have any cash because you cant build anything in the arctic zone because the two stupid events fired at the same time and then you get hit with an invasion that would normally not be an issue but because of the timing your 40 hour game is now ruined.

a game that fucks you over even after you know what's coming is just garbage design.

edit: lol I even wrote it up here, when i gave up 2205 for good :)

pulled out 2205 for a little while just to whet my appetite for the new game and even after 300+ hours its still fun but i remember why i stopped playing. Veteran difficulty, a million bucks in the bank and 6k+ cash flow positive, i get hit with two events at the same time- a raid in the arctic zone intercepting all incominc and outgoing shipments- and the 'not enough parks in the temperate region' event (the game didn't recognize that i had already placed more than half the number of required parks and trees). So, there's negative money coming in from the attack, and massive amounts of people leaving in the temperate zone, so even after i stopped the invasion i had zero cash left to place the parks and the game was over. Such bullshit, such a bad design decision that those two events firing concurrently can take down a well planned, well funded and perfectly running corp.

boar guy fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 3, 2019

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I was just about to make a post about how I'm really enjoying the game, having just opened up the arctic sector and seeing how different and brutally utilitarian everything looks, and having to deal with appropriate things like heat. That invasion stuff you're describing sounds like absolute crap though, especially as someone who hates dealing with combat in these games. Is the "calamities" setting in difficulty options what turns those off? And am I missing out on anything cool or major by doing so?

I majorly hosed up my arctic sector pretty much immediately by not setting up canneries right off the bat, so I don't mind starting over and applying what I've learned to a new game if that will stop me from having to deal with these bad mechanics you guys are describing.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Peachy Poo posted:

I was just about to make a post about how I'm really enjoying the game, having just opened up the arctic sector and seeing how different and brutally utilitarian everything looks, and having to deal with appropriate things like heat. That invasion stuff you're describing sounds like absolute crap though, especially as someone who hates dealing with combat in these games. Is the "calamities" setting in difficulty options what turns those off? And am I missing out on anything cool or major by doing so?

I majorly hosed up my arctic sector pretty much immediately by not setting up canneries right off the bat, so I don't mind starting over and applying what I've learned to a new game if that will stop me from having to deal with these bad mechanics you guys are describing.

nope. calamaties are like, smog drives half the residents in a sector away. also unfun

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Peachy Poo posted:

Yep. Invasions and calamities are bad. Turn those off and you only ever need to do combat when you feel like it and your sectors income won't randomly half. It's the chillest Anno game otherwise

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i've currently restarted anno 1800 probably 40 times because i cant not get the veteran difficulty cheevo but its just so gamey and unfun to do and sandbox feels lame without a direction to go in :(

still haven't seen electricity

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Lmao christ, that sounds awful too. Thanks for the help, I would've hated to discover these things for myself deep into a playthrough. Hearing it described as the chillest with those turned off excites me though, I basically come to these games to just do some zen citybuilding stuff. I think I'll wind up having a pretty good time with it now.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Peachy Poo posted:

There's one combat you basically are supposed to do, and then no combat. I think combat is a bit better in 1800 but there's certainly a ship pathing issue and that makes it frustrating.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

boar guy posted:

nope. calamaties are like, smog drives half the residents in a sector away. also unfun

Yeah they just might be what drives me to quit. You can’t disable the random attacks that completely gently caress over your economy. People said there were ways around the combat in this game but waiting 45 minutes while your cash gets wiped out wasn’t the workaround I expected. The calamities are worse.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

does anyone know, if i modify the settings to have just 2-star opponents- which leaves the bar above the 'Expert' level little shield-thingy, do I still get the Expert cheevo? or do i have to play it on standard Expert settings

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Looking at Tier 4 as unlocking the second side in 2070 makes it much more manageable mentally.
You rejig what you have to make space, fill in holes with the new tools and then start building up as usual much like 2070.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

boar guy posted:

does anyone know, if i modify the settings to have just 2-star opponents- which leaves the bar above the 'Expert' level little shield-thingy, do I still get the Expert cheevo? or do i have to play it on standard Expert settings

It still grands achievements.

If you turn quests to rare and fiddle with some others you can actually do all one star AI and still get expert.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Omnicarus posted:

It still grands achievements.

If you turn quests to rare and fiddle with some others you can actually do all one star AI and still get expert.

:tipshat: that's excellent to know. time to get the expert cheevo and then put the game down 'til all the dlc are out and balanahahahahahaaa

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Found out last night that Bente Jorgenson will actually declare war on you if you antagonize her enough. Her handful of gunboats and two frigates didn't stand up to a dozen ships of the line for long though. :rip: Gonna turn her island into an industrial hellscape now.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
That so mean. What did poor Bente ever do to you?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

People hate the Jorgensens? :( I like them. Good neighbors.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Leif was the best punching bag. :3:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

The only Jorgenson I didn't like was the first one in 1404. But that was because he was so obnoxious with how much he wanted to buddy-buddy up with the player. The 2070 one was cool (especially if you did her missions), 2205 one actually ignored his boss's orders to ask you to fix something he didn't have the resources to stop...and Bente likes to give me free zoo animals.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Psychotic Weasel posted:

She drew first blood, not me!

After I refused to let her ever take a second island, polluted the hell out of my main island, and consistently used propaganda. I also failed one of her quests but that was actually an accident, I was going to add to my museum I swear! Once her gunboats started plinking at my cargo ships I had no choice but to raze her entire island to the ground :shrug:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Genuinely curious what Bente's war declaration would sound like.

Edit. Do you get anything for completing collections in the Zoo?

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 3, 2019

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

Genuinely curious what Bente's war declaration would sound like.

Edit. Do you get anything for completing collections in the Zoo?

Yup! Each collection has a unique bonus

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

zoos are fun

Edit: annoying that all enclosures must be connected though.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 3, 2019

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Agreed, if I could make one change I'd make it so you could have a one tile gap between them. That would make it easier to make nice-looking pathways and also let me separate the collections, satisfying my terrifying OCD.

Omnicarus posted:

Yup! Each collection has a unique bonus

Some of them are REALLY strong, too. You can get a general sense of what the bonuses do from the collection's description, which will appear as soon as you get one piece of it. Museum collections also get bonuses!

As a result, it can actually be beneficial to build multiple Zoos to put the bonuses where you need them, since they are per-island instead of global. For instance--the Domestic Animals collection is trash for attractiveness, they're all worth like 10 each. But if you have the whole collection together, the whole island gets a small production boost to animal farms! So that can definitely be worth getting a Zoo set up on your animal production island.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

I love the zoo. My current freeplay goal is to get as many animals as possible (all?) but through expeditions rather than buying them.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

The modular collectathon buildings are a great addition. The Botanical Garden sounds like it's going to be another one to complete the set, and I cannot WAIT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Peachy Poo posted:

Lmao christ, that sounds awful too. Thanks for the help, I would've hated to discover these things for myself deep into a playthrough. Hearing it described as the chillest with those turned off excites me though, I basically come to these games to just do some zen citybuilding stuff. I think I'll wind up having a pretty good time with it now.

Those events and invasions only come if you buy the Frontiers DLC, though. Skip that like I did, and you never have to worry about them.

My biggest complaint about 2205 is simply that you spend far and away the most time in the temperate zone, which I found the most boring to look at and play in. The arctic and the Moon really just exist to support the temperate zone which is where all your money comes from.