Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burnt Poffin
Oct 10, 2012
I bought the GOTY version of Fallout 3 and they didn't fix the installation problem for the DLC on that, either. After screwing around with it for a while, I looked it up online and had to do the copy-paste BS off the disc... which made me wonder if the DLC even had any keys attached to it, or if you could just pass those around friends.

Edit: Ah, new page... should mention Anthem...

I never bought it, just subbed to Origin for a couple of months in order to play, and that's only because I forgot to cancel my sub after the first few weeks. Basically, I got a much-hyped game for "free", since I doubt any sub money goes to Bioware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Burnt Poffin posted:

I bought the GOTY version of Fallout 3 and they didn't fix the installation problem for the DLC on that, either. After screwing around with it for a while, I looked it up online and had to do the copy-paste BS off the disc... which made me wonder if the DLC even had any keys attached to it, or if you could just pass those around friends.

I never bought it, just subbed to Origin for a couple of months in order to play, and that's only because I forgot to cancel my sub after the first few weeks. Basically, I got a much-hyped game for "free", since I doubt any sub money goes to Bioware.

No keys attached. I reinstalled FO3 on a laptop at the time and simply copied and pasted the DLC across from my desktop (also at the time).

(edit - if I recall you got ESM files and some other crap, you ignored the other crap and only wanted the ESM files then loaded them like any other Fallout mod)

GFWL had really bad security for a Microsoft product.

Oh yeah Anthem *shits pants* there we go. Looking forward to DA4 so we can *shits bed*

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 13:37 on May 3, 2019

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Vermain posted:

I'm trying to think if this is genuinely the biggest high budget live service/MMO flop of all time. At this rate, I think even Tabula Rasa is gonna have outlived Anthem.

How soon we all forget Hellgate: London, the last easiest game to make fun of on the internet.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

exquisite tea posted:

How soon we all forget Hellgate: London, the last easiest game to make fun of on the internet.

Hellgate: London still refuses to die and is back on steam in single player form. Out of all of its sins and misadventures into Korea, at least it knew it was better off as a single player game in the end.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I played through Hellgate London when it first came out and I can't remember much other than being very bored the entire time. It was a real struggle to finish and I don't mean because it was difficult or anything.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ashpanash posted:

Sony and Nintendo seem to realize "Games as a service" should mean literally make games (plural) and then offer them through a service. So there are bright spots out there.

Being platform owners helps a lot in that regard. Games like God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, and Splatoon 2 don't have microtransactions because they serve as system-sellers, and because Sony and Nintendo own their platforms, they get a sizable cut of any game sales for that platform. The more consoles they move, the more games people buy for their consoles, and the more money they make.

The practical upshot of that, of course, is that those games end up being pretty great deals for people who buy games, assuming you already own the console.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Burnt Poffin posted:

Back before Microsoft et al. had DLC fully figured out, you could buy actual, physical discs containing the first two and second two Fallout 3 expansions for the 360. You could, in fact, buy them used from Gamestop, install them, and then return them immediately afterwards for a full refund.

For some reason, they stopped doing it like that. I can't imagine why.

edit: anthem bad, bioware dead, etc.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 3, 2019

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Hellgaye London has a bug where if you typed % in chat the entire server (not your client) would crash

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Moola posted:

Hellgaye London has a bug where if you typed % in chat the entire server (not your client) would crash

I wonder if this is where the idea for The Division came from.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Moola posted:

That is the most amazing bug.

Right up there with the Myth uninstaller that deleted everything on your C: drive.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
If anyone feels bad about anthem's death, well don't worry, they'll port this game in a decade there's still a society to do it. :)

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Yeah, but I'm getting a shitload more entertainment watching Anthem die a fast and noisy death than I ever did actually playing the game.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

grack posted:

Yeah, but I'm getting a shitload more entertainment watching Anthem die a fast and noisy death than I ever did actually playing the game.

It's me, the guy who skipped DA2, SWKOTR, Andromeda, and Anthem.

I feel like I dodged the BioWare bullet.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Knights of the Old Republic is fine. Decent storytelling makes up for a lame and easily broken combat system. It's also a good preface for Kotor 2 which is a much better game.

It's the MMO that is loving dire.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Hizawk posted:

It's me, the guy who skipped DA2, SWTOR, Andromeda, and Anthem.

I feel like I dodged the BioWare bullet.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

:bioware: sounds like the slot where you put your medical waste

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Knights of the Old Republic is fine. Decent storytelling makes up for a lame and easily broken combat system. It's also a good preface for Kotor 2 which is a much better game.

It's the MMO that is loving dire.

Kotor is legitimately one of the best games ever made, for a game based on movies it had no right being as good as it was. It was its own story that was much better than the movies, and that Revan scene is unforgettable. Bioware has fallen a long way since those invincible days.

Everyone says Halo carried the xbox - which it did - but they always forget the impact of kotor's presence on the console. It was a killer app.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Kotor is legitimately one of the best games ever made, for a game based on movies it had no right being as good as it was. It was its own story that was much better than the movies, and that Revan scene is unforgettable. Bioware has fallen a long way since those invincible days.

Everyone says Halo carried the xbox - which it did - but they always forget the impact of kotor's presence on the console. It was a killer app.

Yeah it was, at the time it was the best Star Wars game ever made. Have there been better since? I have no idea since I stopped playing Star Wars games with the original Star Wars Battlefront.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I don't know if i'd call Kotor one of the best ever. Certainly one of the most influential RPGs of all time, since it pretty much codified the Bioware storytelling format they'd started with back in Baldur's Gate and set the standard for roleplaying games throughout the early 2000s. It has its fair share of problems (which only got worse with Bioware games as time went on), but it's a rock solid game. It also had the benefit of being a direct contrast to the prequels to show "how Star Wars should be done."

In hindsight it's kind of quaint, especially given how subversive its direct sequel was, but it deserves its place. Important, groudbreaking, solid game, but it has been outstripped as time marches on.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

PC Gamer posted:

'We just wanted to make dick lasers and big bouncy anime titties,' says creator of latest Kickstarter hit

lmao

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.twitchmetrics.net/g/460696-anthem

174 viewers. Had to hold my mouse over the horizontal bar because it wasn't high enough to create any vertical pixels on the viewership history chart.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

DancingShade posted:

https://www.twitchmetrics.net/g/460696-anthem

174 viewers. Had to hold my mouse over the horizontal bar because it wasn't high enough to create any vertical pixels on the viewership history chart.

I mean what is there to even watch. Can you actually be GOOD at Anthem in a way that’s obvious to a twitch viewer?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Outside of world first progression raiding I’m not sure why you’d ever want to watch an online pve game on twitch. Variety streamers usually do single player and bounce stuff off their audience for engagement.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
idk people still watch poo poo like PoE, but I think it's because the loot is exciting and the build game huge. Two things you'd put in the "massive weaknesses" -column of Loot-based Action RPG Anthem.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
Anthem is a gift that keeps on giving. The "positive" subreddit for the game had its own separate Discord but got infected with the alt-right and people who loved the game TOO much.

quote:

As the title of this post says, the official LowSodiumAnthem Discord is shutting down TONIGHT at 12 AM Eastern Standard Time. This is not a decision we reached easily nor one we like having to do, allow me to explain our position however.

Our entire purpose for creating and the continued operation of LowSodiumAnthem is to have a community, be it large or small, where people who enjoyed Anthem could come to discuss the game and its highlights and flaws in a constructive manner without being bombarded by internet trolls or those who felt personally attacked by Anthem's non-perfect launch. As such, we have set out to do this by the fans for that fans. Along the way, it was requested that a Discord be made and we did as such as a gift to our growing community. Thats the thing though, the official Discord was a gift, a bonus to the community early on because of how positive it was. It was not owed. We do not have to have to have it. We have warned this community countless times to follow the common sense and common decency rules we have set up. For the most part, the subreddit section of our community here have listen to us, the Discord section of our community has not. In fact we have watched the Discord get progressively worse, so this is where we are at, you lose the Discord.

Now it is not my intention to paint all our Discord members in the same light, there were many good members who followed the rules. However, there was a significant number of members who evidently thought the rules did not apply to them. The old saying is true, a few bad apples do spoil the whole bunch. Specifically, we have seen two alarming things on our Discord over the last month:

1.) The Alt-Right. Our Discord somehow, someway began to attract an alt-right presence. Things were said at times that could land us in legal issues with various government agencies should they have been acted upon. While we worked towards silently removing these people, the number of them present increased over time. Let me make this clear plainly right now, LowSodiumAnthem is not and will not be involved or subject to any alt-right politics. While we do not want any political discussion in this subreddit on a day to day basis, the inclusion of any alt-right sensibilities will not be tolerated. FULL STOP. If you hold allegiance or sympathy to the alt-right, leave now. You are not welcome or wanted here. Your presence will not be tolerated. You are not good people. You do not have valid points. Your points shouldn't be heard anywhere, let alone here. Kindly, piss off.

2.) Anti-Salt Trolls. This is an issue that we have addressed recently and while it has been more or less handled for now in the subreddit, its gotten progressively worse on the Discord. As, I have said recently, there is a subsection of this community that thinks because they love Anthem more than anything else on God's green earth that they can troll, harass, and personally attack anyone at all who does not hold an overly glowing opinion of the game. They incorrectly feel that we Mods are behind them in this, we are not. This was the larger and more easier to spot issue in the LSA Discord and it progressed to the point where as volunteers it became impossible to maintain the Discord, subreddit, our personal hobbies, and our adult lives.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Disargeria posted:

Anthem is a gift that keeps on giving. The "positive" subreddit for the game had its own separate Discord but got infected with the alt-right and people who loved the game TOO much.

lmao

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

perhaps the real low-sodium Anthem was the alt-right friends we made along the way

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm assuming the Venn diagram of alt-right and Anthem fan is basically two balls touching, but the Anthem community must be so small that a couple of radical chuds popping in must've freaked them out.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Everyone is sparticus alt-right now.

^^^ That and the strain of cognitive dissonance required to wholeheartedly defend Anthem from the evil trolls means they're popping head gaskets.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Blaming the alt right seems like a cover to #2 being the real reason everyone melting down in the discord.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
god drat Ess Jay Double-yahs ruined..

*checks notes*

Anthem!

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Xarbala posted:

I'm assuming the Venn diagram of alt-right and Anthem fan is basically two balls touching, but the Anthem community must be so small that a couple of radical chuds popping in must've freaked them out.

"He only showed up because he heard there was a player wrap with nazi imagery, but he's very positive about the game sooo... "

Kudos to whoever had enough foresight to scuttle the discord.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Now where will the last 3 players hang out.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So much for the tolerant left*

*Boots the game goes to kill alien lifeforms

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
It is real easy for a discord to get racist, especially when you make a loving swastika skin and then not really apologize for its existence - but hey, I'm sure that was all Discord's fault.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
owning the libs by playing a lovely dead game

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
The future of marketing is to make people politically motivated to give all their money to a video game even if its still remains dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

West007
Apr 21, 2013

I don't think this game is worth investing in by EA/Bioware. Just cut your losses and abandon ship.