Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah one of the strats you can use against kite and small shield users is to crouch and slap them in the legs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Orv posted:

You can swing over shields unlike most games, it's just the shield not a magic hitbox, depending on the elevations involved you can totally behead somebody over their shield.

Ah, that may be what happened. I was at a slight elevation.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

VulgarandStupid posted:

The people who do it consistently have been playing Mordhau EA for 2 years and however many years of Mount and Blade before that. At the beginning you should really on focus on parrying and stab chambers.

i can already do those fine

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Stokes posted:

If you pick the peasant perk does it give a damage bonus to the weapons you can use as a peasant or is it a straight RP style debuff.

The peasant perk actually unlocks access to a lot of peasant-only weapons like frying pans, sticks, shovels, pitchforks, and hoes. There's no special damage bonus but non-peasants can't start with them at all.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

I've tried a majority of the weapons so far, and the only one I've bounced off of is the halberd, which is strange because I love the bardiche and spear, and I like the pole axe, but the halberd just feels so slow, and the point cost is huge.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i picked this up for friday night drunk time fun and honestly the most confusing part of the game so far is the unlock system. i get gold from playing but i need to level up before i can use stuff? and stuff is different depending on what game mode i'm playing? or does it not matter? do i need to make a custom class for every loadout i want to try? why didn't the tutorial tell me which one's the yell button? please help me mordhau thread

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Every weapon should be unlocked by about level 5 or 6. After that, it's a small gold cost to unlock a weapon and a big gold cost to make it look real fancy. Armor is cosmetic except for your head, chest, or legs being Tier 0/1/2/3. All heavy helmets are the same stat-wise, for example.

You have different loadouts between the normal game modes and Battle Royale/Horde, but that's because you don't get to start with armor and weapons in the latter two game modes. Unlocks are shared between both. The only other modifier to loadouts/unlocking is taking the Peasant perk, which restricts your armor and weapon choices and gives you some more options for a bunch of lovely peasant weapons.

If you want to try new things, you gotta' make a custom loadout, yeah.

The tutorial didn't mention yelling because it doesn't want to just tell you how to use the most powerful techniques the in game.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Cowcaster posted:

i picked this up for friday night drunk time fun and honestly the most confusing part of the game so far is the unlock system. i get gold from playing but i need to level up before i can use stuff? and stuff is different depending on what game mode i'm playing? or does it not matter? do i need to make a custom class for every loadout i want to try? why didn't the tutorial tell me which one's the yell button? please help me mordhau thread

You can edit the loadout of an existing class too if you just wanna tweak it slightly.
Extremely Pro Tip: create a "base" loadout with all the colors and voice and face and other cosmetic crap set up the way you like (but no armor/weapons) and then you can hit the button to copy that class whenever you want to make a new loadout.

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The fact that you can chamber a stab chamber and rub swords together until one of you gets tuckered out is endlessly entertaining

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Orv posted:

You can swing over shields unlike most games, it's just the shield not a magic hitbox, depending on the elevations involved you can totally behead somebody over their shield.

I actually was going to ask about hitboxes. How much larger is the shield hitbox than the shield? It seems like there must be some difference because I've hit the shield when only close to it.

Also, what spread does the parry have? Full front of the body?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i'm just using matchmaking with both horde and frontline checked because i don't want to do battle royale, should i just be using a server browser like it's 2012

Orv
May 4, 2011

CuddleCryptid posted:

I actually was going to ask about hitboxes. How much larger is the shield hitbox than the shield? It seems like there must be some difference because I've hit the shield when only close to it.

Also, what spread does the parry have? Full front of the body?

The shield hitboxes wrap a little around to the sides to prevent you from just completely no selling every block they make but above and below (seem to be) perfectly in the model.

Parry is a cone from the center of your vision, you have to look at the weapon to some degree unless it's coming right at you.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

is chambering any more effective than parrying or is it just an alternative way to do it?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

is chambering any more effective than parrying or is it just an alternative way to do it?

Chambering recovers faster, so if you're exclusively on the defense against a faster weapon you can get back on the attack.

That said I'm starting to notice some ugly cheese with rapiers. It's fast enough on the stab that if someone is face hugging you you're basically not going to be able to parry it without super low ping/high framerate so people are just going around with rapiers stabbing repeatedly with no consequence. Footwork is the answer but it's not always the easiest to get away in the bigger modes.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

quote:

New patch! Make sure to restart Steam so the update is downloaded.
- Supporter Pack DLC items should now show up
- Matchmaking improvements
- Server browser improvements
- Fixed a certain duping exploit on Horde
- Added 64p variant Skirmish maps for custom servers: SKM_Taiga_64, SKM_MountainPeak_64, SKM_Grad_64, SKM_Camp_64
- Exposed some parameters for server owners (these go into game.ini), see https://pastebin.com/raw/CbDANhzr for details (server owners only)

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

It's really just another tool in your fencing kit. A chamber can be parried or counter-chambered and it costs quite a bit of stamina so it's not just a free attack. Chambering can be really tricky to pull off consistently in my experience, especially if your opponent is accelerating or dragging their attacks. I'm terrible at Mordhau but I think it's probably a bit better to focus on getting parry timing down early on. It's a very foundational part of the combat and at least at lower skill levels it seems like most fights end because of one of the participants whiffing their parry.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Cowcaster posted:

Chambering is kind of worse than normal parry-riposte in most situations because it costs a whopping 20 stamina so if you do it more than a few times you'll be dropping your weapon from exhaustion.
However unlike parrying it doesn't "lose" to getting fooled by feints. If someone feints and you try to chamber it you'll just hit them for free whereas if you parry the feint you'll be wide open to get hit yourself.
So mostly chambering is a counter to feinting.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

This game is really fun!

I made a dude in full heavy armor with an executioner's sword and it's really satisfying to run around beheading people. Sometimes more than one at once! I'll also run in the middle of a big group of enemies and swing wildly while strafing. Sometimes the group will panic enough that I'll get 4 or 5 kills before falling. Yeah, I'm that guy with no skill who just spam swings a max damage weapon.

Halberd on a horse is also stupidly powerful when you hit. I was just just in a game where an enemy and I were riding right at each other, me with a halberd and him with some sword. Easily killed him in one shot while being just out of range of his sword. Though tbh, most of the time on a horse I'll just end up getting stuck in some corner where I will be stabbed to death by several enemies.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Hey Triternion where the gently caress my Frogmouth helmet, thanks

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Glenn Quebec posted:

I STRONGLY recommend that you rebind your right click to feint or parry. I infact recommend that everyone do this.

Can someone explain what "feint or parry" means? As is, what is gained / lost by binding it to a different button from regular parry?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

They put a maximillian chestpiece in and no bellows armet, wait in line you drat tourney jouster.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Midgetskydiver posted:

Can someone explain what "feint or parry" means? As is, what is gained / lost by binding it to a different button from regular parry?

It means it will contextually feint if you’re attacking or parry otherwise instead of only doing exactly what you tell it. This means you can more easily have all of your sword controls exclusively bound to the mouse and will be more able to muscle-memory/intuitively do melee moves, the downside is that you need to learn to double click RMB when you want to abort to a parry while attacking or else you’ll just cancel your attack into eating big damage.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Post sword barbies itt

I keep spending all my money on unlocking weapons to try out lol

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 4, 2019

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Of course the moment I decide, "hey maybe I'll equip a crossbow and go counter-archery for a change of pace" I wind up in a server where there is literally no archers at all :mad:

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

LGD posted:

It means it will contextually feint if you’re attacking or parry otherwise instead of only doing exactly what you tell it. This means you can more easily have all of your sword controls exclusively bound to the mouse and will be more able to muscle-memory/intuitively do melee moves, the downside is that you need to learn to double click RMB when you want to abort to a parry while attacking or else you’ll just cancel your attack into eating big damage.

Perfect. Thanks.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I dunno what the point of doing counter archery damage is, the longbow usually one shots lights which is what archers are running around with anyway

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the crossbow is so you can kill everyone else, too. Shooting heavily armed shieldmen in the back while they swing at your allies is being a friend.

pus I just like the crossbow more

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Midgetskydiver posted:

Some people find it more intuitive to control that way.
As for downsides, it you can't hit the feint-or-parry button to cancel directly from the beginning of your attack into a parry, which is possible with the regular parry button. Instead you'll feint first, so you have to double-tap it and pay a little extra stamina for the feint. Depending on how often you do that it may or may not be a big deal.

Gamerofthegame posted:

I dunno what the point of doing counter archery damage is, the longbow usually one shots lights which is what archers are running around with anyway

The crossbow doesn't though, and the crossbow is much nicer for popping out of cover to take a shot at an enemy archer and then hiding in safety again. For bonus points take a pavise and build your own arrow-cover wherever you want!

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 05:31 on May 4, 2019

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Babe Magnet posted:

Or a loving bascinet with the visor down, instead of up.

Edit: wait, apparently that is an option that I have not seen.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
just grabbed this tonight. They are fixing the server lag? Its pretty bad. Pretty nice upgrade from chivalry. Needs more servers.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Watching heads explode from maul smashes is a joy I didn't know I needed in my life.

Also, to an earlier discussion: if you check out the advanced stats for your weapons you'll see that the game sets maximum mouselook speed while swinging melee weapons, making Chivalry-style helicoptering impossible.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

McSpanky posted:

Watching heads explode from maul smashes is a joy I didn't know I needed in my life.

Also, to an earlier discussion: if you check out the advanced stats for your weapons you'll see that the game sets maximum mouselook speed while swinging melee weapons, making Chivalry-style helicoptering impossible.
"gently caress archers? But you just sneak up on them with a big hammer and their head explodes!"

Seriously, I'm a filthy casual but going on a ninja murder spree with a giant hammer where you don't botch a single swing makes it all worth it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Orv posted:

Chambering recovers faster, so if you're exclusively on the defense against a faster weapon you can get back on the attack.

That said I'm starting to notice some ugly cheese with rapiers. It's fast enough on the stab that if someone is face hugging you you're basically not going to be able to parry it without super low ping/high framerate so people are just going around with rapiers stabbing repeatedly with no consequence. Footwork is the answer but it's not always the easiest to get away in the bigger modes.

Yeah, I've ran into the same thing. Met a guy who'd just hold W and spam stabs, and there was pretty little I could do. Even when I got the timing down to chamber the thrust, his next attack auto-chambered my own chamber, and I couldn't recover in time to do anything about that one and got hit. Couldn't get back out of reach, either, since we had similar armour and going forwards is faster than backwards.

On that note, I kinda wish there was a slightly larger collision radisu between player characters. Sometimes dudes get in so close you can't even see their weapon anymore, though it can still damage you.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Remember the kick

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Jst0rm posted:

just grabbed this tonight. They are fixing the server lag? Its pretty bad. Pretty nice upgrade from chivalry. Needs more servers.

They have already fixed the server lag on official servers, and I imagine unofficial servers should have the update and forced a restart by now.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Chambering is good but it’s not a necessarily a free hit. It is, however, awesome when you chamber one enemy but hit another with the actual counter attack.

Elerion
May 31, 2011

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, I've ran into the same thing. Met a guy who'd just hold W and spam stabs, and there was pretty little I could do. Even when I got the timing down to chamber the thrust, his next attack auto-chambered my own chamber, and I couldn't recover in time to do anything about that one and got hit. Couldn't get back out of reach, either, since we had similar armour and going forwards is faster than backwards.

On that note, I kinda wish there was a slightly larger collision radisu between player characters. Sometimes dudes get in so close you can't even see their weapon anymore, though it can still damage you.

Try turning FOV to max and see if that helps with the latter issue.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I can never play without Flesh Wound again. It's so satisfying punching several people to death with your remaining arm as you gargle-scream through blood. The sound design of this game is incredible. I also like how positively demonic some of the voices sound with a helmet on.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Is there a detailed list of weapon stats ANYWHERE besides looking at the weapons one at a time in game, so I can compare them and figure out strategies? I can't find a single website or forum post anywhere with the info.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappers
Jun 16, 2012
This game is so great. Been using a combination of the bastard sword and short spear with pretty good results (mainly I just find the short spear fun to throw at people). But then I discovered the maul and it's slow rear end timing seems to have clicked with me even more. So many exploding heads.