Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

IPCRESS posted:

Not directed at you, but your post raises an interesting question: how much overengineering has been taken out of planes since slide rules gave way to supercomputer finite element analysis? How much of the margin of safety been shrunk by virtue of better design and notionally more repeatable manufacture? Would this sort of thing not be an issue in a 727 but kill 787s?

It should just result in reducing inefficiency due to over designing. You still test to the same levels. Occasionally it may cause you to under design the system due to poor models but again, should be caught at test.

This really is the difference between having a design and having a qualified design. The latter has gone through a qualification regime where the factors of safety, often 2x, have been rigorously demonstrated.

The next step is continuous screening to show that process issues have not resulted in altering the design away from what was qualified during manufacturing. This is often supplemented by an acceptance test where you test to (but typically do not exceed) mission levels for each piece of flight hardware.

And now you know why flight hardware costs an order of magnitude more than you would expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

IPCRESS posted:

Not directed at you, but your post raises an interesting question: how much overengineering has been taken out of planes since slide rules gave way to supercomputer finite element analysis? How much of the margin of safety been shrunk by virtue of better design and notionally more repeatable manufacture? Would this sort of thing not be an issue in a 727 but kill 787s?

Safety factors exist because engineers know they don’t have a perfect understanding of the world.

You imagine that big margin saving the day when atrocious alloys strike, but it’s just as likely that the margin will have been eaten up by something like “the rocket is vibrating like a pogo stick and we didn’t know that would happen”. If the metal is deficient on top of that, the rocket will fail.

When the conditions are more fully understood, engineers can see where danger had been overestimated and where it had been underestimated. Good models give engineers confidence to economise overbuilt areas so as to reinforces areas where the safety factor was the only thing holding the ship together.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

mlmp08 posted:

Defense Journos are plane nerds who found a way to make it pay.

Yes. Same goes for car journalists/car nerds. And space journalists/space nerds.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mlmp08 posted:

There’s a lot of bad posting in D&D (and everywhere tbh), but when TFR poster go full gulag bogeyman about D&D, I’m left wondering if it’s scar tissue from the McCain Mod years or something.

There are anti-Islam serial shitposters and chickenhawk, pro-capitalist intervention warmongers galore in D&D, but they tend to only get sixers or the occasional 3 days for real bad posts unless threatening others with death.

Pretty sure the majority of D&D probates are for basic “gently caress you” ad homs and posting about posting, not failure to sing the Internationale at daybreak.

Fun thing: peeping the leper’s colony to see the stuff that actually gets people probated in various subforums. It’s very much a sign of things like slapfights and racism being probated rather than an ideological purity.

Plus utter loving meltdowns.

Wish that was true, but it's not. Random example from the last few days:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3885224&pagenumber=631&perpage=40#post494677543

To some extent you can get away with being a not liberal in cspam/forums other than D&D as long as you cuck out of any argument and ignore when people insult you without any moderation to speak of.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

soy posted:

as long as you cuck out of any argument and ignore when people insult you without any moderation to speak of.

I really, really hate to act all sensitive about people's diction, but there are a dozen words that would have been better choices than "cuck" here. If you're trying to be persuasive, talking like that is kind of an own goal. Like, I am inclined to believe you anyway, but when you talk like that it actually makes me more skeptical of your claim than I was before I read your post.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This is a forum that banned a member for using WebTV.

Why are political opinions sacrosanct?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your-air-force/2019/05/02/afghan-pilot-training-ends-after-almost-half-went-awol-in-america/

quote:

A program to train Afghan attack pilots has been ended after the airmen kept going absent without leave, or AWOL, while training in the United States.

More than 40 percent of the Afghan Air Force students enrolled in the U.S.-based training program to fly the AC-208 Combat Caravan, a light attack combat aircraft, went AWOL, according to a quarterly report by the Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction, or SIGAR.

SIGAR said they did not have data on whether the AWOL pilots were recovered. U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

“We found that nearly half of all foreign military trainees that went AWOL while training in the United States since 2005 were from Afghanistan (152 of 320),” SIGAR reported in October 2017. “Of the 152 AWOL Afghan trainees, 83 either fled the United States after going AWOL or remain unaccounted for.”

:ughh:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

soy posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3885224&pagenumber=631&perpage=40#post494677543

To some extent you can get away with being a not liberal in cspam/forums other than D&D as long as you cuck out of any argument and ignore when people insult you without any moderation to speak of.

That guy was a straight up nazi though. It isn't like, he had soft libertarian positions or was some sort of "moderate" Republican, but a full on Trump supporter who supports concentration camps.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Raenir Salazar posted:

That guy was a straight up nazi though. It isn't like, he had soft libertarian positions or was some sort of "moderate" Republican, but a full on Trump supporter who supports concentration camps.

This is another post that could have been very convincing right up until the last moment.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

soy posted:

Oh no, not serial shitposter and troll Mnoba! Also laughing at your unironic use of “cuck out”

People who scream and troll impotently in QCS as a pastime tend to be on a short leash when posting.

If the people upset about SA mods are invoking cuckoldry and championing the likes of Mnoba as the poor downtrodden, I dunno, maybe the mods are alright.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

soy posted:

gently caress off nobody cares about a poster who uses "soy" and "cuck" go away

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

soy posted:

D&D's particular crowd aren't exactly "liberal" insofar as they are way, way down the rabbit hole w/r/t authoritarians.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I'm not going to lie, for a minute I thought you guys were have a weird conversation about Dungeons & Dragons.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Back Hack posted:

I'm not going to lie, for a minute I thought you guys were have a weird conversation about Dungeons & Dragons.

Actually works very well there, too.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
there is an active thread on Fascists in Trad Games if you want to complete the crossover

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3887733

mostly about people who get way to into playing ze germans

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
We've all seen that type at gun shows

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

Oh no, not serial shitposter and troll Mnoba! Also laughing at your unironic use of “cuck out”

People who scream and troll impotently in QCS as a pastime tend to be on a short leash when posting.

If the people upset about SA mods are invoking cuckoldry and championing the likes of Mnoba as the poor downtrodden, I dunno, maybe the mods are alright.
"Cuckin out!" is my new brevity call for ditching in DCS.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Has anyone in this thread read Jeffrey Lewis’s novel The 2020 Commission Report on the North Korean Nuclear Attacks Against the United States?

Would you recommend it?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

It's okay. Author goes a little bit overboard on the Trump Dumb thing (this is coming from someone who thinks Trump is dumb) but it's pretty well written otherwise.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

If you think liberals are welcome in cspam you haven't read much cspam lol

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

goatsestretchgoals posted:

It's okay. Author goes a little bit overboard on the Trump Dumb thing (this is coming from someone who thinks Trump is dumb) but it's pretty well written otherwise.

It is hardly possible to overstate how dumb Trump is.

However, I don’t want to read about him being dumb, so that’s a hard pass from me.

I would have written Forty Five out of the picture by having him choke on a pretzel or letting his advisors run the show—which I believe is more realistic anyway.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Platystemon posted:

However, I don’t want to read about him being dumb, so that’s a hard pass from me.

I would have written Forty Five out of the picture by having him choke on a pretzel or letting his advisors run the show—which I believe is more realistic anyway.
A lot of the Trump Dumb in the book focuses on how the advisors handle him through the scenario, and how the (very well researched) logistics of his travel could complicate that. It doesn’t work if you write him out entirely, because one of the main points of the book is to remind the public that an inept president can start a nuclear war with nothing in the system to stop them. (The other is that messaging via action to adversaries in a crisis is very difficult and could easily be misinterpreted.)

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Platystemon posted:

He gets stuck in a bunker out of reach fairly early on.

It’s a good book and a fast read.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Mortabis posted:

I really, really hate to act all sensitive about people's diction, but there are a dozen words that would have been better choices than "cuck" here. If you're trying to be persuasive, talking like that is kind of an own goal. Like, I am inclined to believe you anyway, but when you talk like that it actually makes me more skeptical of your claim than I was before I read your post.

1000% agree with Mortabis and that never happens.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Tyndall still really hosed up. Something like 1.2+ billion dollars for hurricane/flood repairs.

The fact that most of Tyndall's ~30,000 acres of trees looks like this is also expensive, as you kind of have to deal with it lest it become a big festering fire hazard.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

Platystemon posted:

Has anyone in this thread read Jeffrey Lewis’s novel The 2020 Commission Report on the North Korean Nuclear Attacks Against the United States?

Would you recommend it?

I use it as one of the textbooks for my nuclear weapons class. There's a reason why so many nuclear scholars and foreign policy wonks called it one of the scariest books of the year. It's really well done and accessible. I'd recommend it.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
The Insinna interview linked on the last page was both great and lead me to this interesting thing:

https://www.defensenews.com/air/2018/08/27/us-air-force-tests-base-in-a-box-in-poland-to-prep-for-future-wars/

Defense News posted:

KRZESINY, Poland — If the U.S. Air Force finds itself in a conflict with Russia, it won’t be able to simply rely on its major operating hubs in Germany, Italy and the United Kingdom. So it’s getting more expeditionary thanks to a new “air base in a box” that will enable the service to rapidly move to a partner nation’s airfield, set up a squadron and begin flying combat missions.

Defense News traveled to Poland’s 31st Air Base near Krzesiny this July for an exclusive look at the first-ever trial of the U.S. Air Force’s new deployable air base system, or DABS — a series of humble-looking shipping containers filled with everything needed to stand up air operations, including temporary billeting and mess facilities, vehicles, airfield repair resources, and power and electrical equipment.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Kesper North posted:

The Insinna interview linked on the last page was both great and lead me to this interesting thing:

https://www.defensenews.com/air/2018/08/27/us-air-force-tests-base-in-a-box-in-poland-to-prep-for-future-wars/

The only thing to look forward to about a shooting war with Russia is the headline US AIR FORCE DABS ON POLAND.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Hope it gets nicknamed “dick in a box”

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

boxen posted:

The only thing to look forward to about a shooting war with Russia is the headline US AIR FORCE DABS ON POLAND.

dabber dabber DEW!

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

ManifunkDestiny posted:

I use it as one of the textbooks for my nuclear weapons class. There's a reason why so many nuclear scholars and foreign policy wonks called it one of the scariest books of the year. It's really well done and accessible. I'd recommend it.

Just finished reading it... Its a decent book for sure.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Alternate history A-10

(YA-9)

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Kesper North posted:

Dahiir Insat is real

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kesper North posted:

what the gently caress is this?!

not that I wouldn't eat that, but it looks like maybe 400 calories on a good day... How are you supposed to run an airbase on that?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That’s more than four hundred.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

That’s probably pushing 1000 due to that cake.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

That’s probably pushing 1000 due to that cake.

Replace that cake with an equivalent amount of pemmican and you probably can get a full day's nutrition from that one tray.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Oh salty summer child.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Platystemon posted:

Alternate history A-10

(YA-9)

How this plan was designed:
Requirement #1: The CAS aircraft shall be as vulnerable to IR missiles as possible.

EDIT: Started reading the wiki on this plane:

quote:

The A-9 was a shoulder-wing monoplane of all-riveted aluminum alloy construction, with honeycomb structures and chemically milled skins.

Apparently requirement #2: The CAS aircraft structure shall be as labor hour intensive to build as possible

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wkarma
Jul 16, 2010
Requirement #3 was to make sure the engines ingested as much gun gas as possible.