Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
It's me, I'm the sad nerd who prefers the Japanese voice acting. To be honest the dub for this is really good and complete in comparison to most, I just can't stand adults trying to sound like children. Millieum, Fie, Towa and Emma's voices in particular bother me because the sound like someone pushing 40 doing an agressive falsetto.

That and the heated yelling never comes across as heated or sincere in the dub. Also, Takehito Koyasu is perfect as Olivert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

You know the Japanese track also features adults trying to sound like children

Also what the gently caress, Fie does not sound like any kind of falsetto

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Yeah, but it doesn't sound quite so forced in Japanese. People playing cross gender or age is pretty normal in anime. Like Goku, Gohan and Goten are all voiced by a woman in her 80s. They all sound unique and distinctly not like an old woman. Well Goku occasionally.

True Fie isn't falsetto, but still doesn't sound right. Unconcerned and unimpressed is how I hear Fie in Japanese. Dub sounds like someone barely coping with depression.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Zushio posted:

Yeah, but it doesn't sound quite so forced in Japanese. People playing cross gender or age is pretty normal in anime. Like Goku, Gohan and Goten are all voiced by a woman in her 80s. They all sound unique and distinctly not like an old woman. Well Goku occasionally.

True Fie isn't falsetto, but still doesn't sound right. Unconcerned and unimpressed is how I hear Fie in Japanese. Dub sounds like someone barely coping with depression.

You are welcome to like what you wish, but everything Goku related sounds like an old, old woman. It has only gotten worse with age.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

You are welcome to like what you wish, but everything Goku related sounds like an old, old woman. It has only gotten worse with age.

Not sure, being only 50ish episodes in to Super and having watched all of the orginal, Z, movies and GT, but I don't think Goku sounds like this beyond a vague similarity. The speech pattern and intonation are entirely different when she's speaking as Goku, not to mention the usage of personal pronouns and other intricacies that define the Japanese old person dialect which are entirely absent when in character. Having heard pretty much every Dub version of Goku and the Japanese voice over the years I feel that the orginal voice work suits the character best. It comes across as a simple minded but good natured with a serious edge when needed. Dub Goku has always had too much of that RADICAL DUDE 90s TMNT vibe and usually comes off a a totally clueless surfer dude. Or any angry surfer dude.

Here is an example of what I am talking about in Cold Steel though.

So this highlights a number of issues I have with the dub work. Let's get it out of the way and say the dialogue is cheesy no matter how you look at it, both versions are pretty corny and overly sincere. It works to a degree because Rean has a documented history of saying really corny and overly sincere things though. Nothing at all is out of character.

My first issue is Alisa's voice. She does a fairly convincing job of coming across as a young person in the dub, but she actually comes across as too young. If you asked me the characters age just from hearing the voice I would put her around 13 or 14. No real issues with Alisa otherwise, everything else comes across fairly well and it is certainly a solid performance given the material.

The next issue has to be with Rean. Other than his voice being way too old sounding there is something really... off about the way he is speaking. It's just too breathy and a little too eager/smug sounding. Like I know most of you will stop reading here, but in the Japanese track he sounds like someone comforting a close friend. Whereas in the Dub track you get the sense that Rean is extremely erect for the length of the conversation.

This last issue is a little nitpicky for sure, but there is a real clash in the tonality between the two characters in the scene. Alisa's actress is actually doing a better job than Rean's I think in this case and her voice stress patterns and emotional level should have been the baseline for the scene. When responding to her dialogue though Rean comes in like a wrecking ball. He starts off way too far below where she left off, and sorta wavers all over the place around the appropriate tonality, finally settling on a somewhat romantic tone. The issue only magnifies when more characters are present. I largely attribute this to a difference in how the two tracks were made. From my understanding a lot of Japanese media will get all the voice actors for a scene together so they can play off each other and get a more authentic interaction. Most Dubs don't really take the time to do this and everyone records their lines solo. Western media in general is a mixture of the two techniques mostly based on the budget of the production. For the most part I think most Western productions have voice acting ranging from excellent to amazing. Part of me also wonders if when Western media gets dubbed in Japanese do some Japanese fans find it cringey?

As I said earlier compared to a lot of anime dubs the work present in Cold Steel is extremely well done. Every character has a distinct voice and personality that carries though. Outside of some stuff regarding the voices themselves everyone gives excellent or at least consistent performances considering the script. Part of what sells an older person playing a younger person in Japanese is the change in usage of personal pronouns and level of speech formality/complexity. Just changing your voice isn't quite enough, it's an entire manner of speaking. It's hard to achieve this in English because outside of slang usage and how extensive and/or specialized your vocabulary is young people and adults don't tend speak significantly differently. Cold Steel certainly does an admirable job of addressing this issue, but it isn't quite right still.

At least some of the cast I recognize from their work in anime dubs over the years, and a glance at IMDB confirms my suspicions. Many of the names are unfamiliar though which is good. Anime dubbing gets in to this situation where there basically 5 potential voices for male character and 3 for female. Then you get to pick which of the 15 people you want to make that voice and get 1 or maybe 2 other people to supply every ancillary voice in the show. Unless of course you're talking about a Studio Ghibli movie where usually someone actually took the time to do proper voice casting and will use something other than the first take where no one actively screws up.

Any method that removes Takehito Koyasu from the game seems like the wrong one though. I can see prefering the dub, but changing back to Japanese whenever Olivert is going to show up is the right move no matter your preference.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 10:59 on May 4, 2019

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Millium is the worst.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Millium owns

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Millium cannot be the worst while Elise exists

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Hwurmp posted:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hwurmp posted:

Millium gains points for being, I believe, the only female class member who is not in love with Rean.

Elise is definitely bad. One of the reasons Lloyd is better than Rean is that Lloyd has an older sister who is a normal person who is not in love with her brother.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

The problem is not Elise. She's aware her crush on Rean is not healthy.
The problem is everyone else, in primis her royal trolljesty Alfin, hearing "Rean's adopted" and immediately unironically responding "shoot for the moon girl".

Random aside: wtf autocorrect, why do you recognize trolljesty?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Why in the gently caress is this god awful turret game in the middle of my turn based RPG? It sucked dick when it was in KotOR, but at least then the section lasted for all of thirty seconds and was nearly impossible to lose. Gilbert can get absolutely hosed.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Yeah, Easy is really the right difficulty to play that one on.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

Why in the gently caress is this god awful turret game in the middle of my turn based RPG? It sucked dick when it was in KotOR, but at least then the section lasted for all of thirty seconds and was nearly impossible to lose. Gilbert can get absolutely hosed.

If you're using a controller, switch to the mouse temporarily for that section if you can. I found that way easier.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Omobono posted:

The problem is not Elise. She's aware her crush on Rean is not healthy.
The problem is everyone else, in primis her royal trolljesty Alfin, hearing "Rean's adopted" and immediately unironically responding "shoot for the moon girl".

Random aside: wtf autocorrect, why do you recognize trolljesty?

Elise doesn't know it's not healthy in the right way though.

The right way would be, 'this is sickening, I need heavy therapy'.

The way she thinks it's wrong is in the, "Oh it can never be," kind of way. Similar to a widow developing feelings for her deceased husband's brother or something.

Elise's version of "it's wrong to have these feelings" does not help how creepy it is.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Elise (bad character): has a crush on her step-brother but knows better than to pursue it

Estelle (good character): has a crush on her step-brother and pursues it and eventually hooks up with him

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m pretty sure the only character trait she has is wants to gently caress Rean.

At least in the first two, maybe the later ones gave her something to do.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’m pretty sure the only character trait she has is wants to gently caress Rean.

At least in the first two, maybe the later ones gave her something to do.

Apparently not, according to someone answering the same question on the Steam forums.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

U-DO Burger posted:

Elise (bad character): has a crush on her step-brother but knows better than to pursue it

Estelle (good character): has a crush on her step-brother and pursues it and eventually hooks up with him

I will always maintain that Joshua is a terrible character that makes other characters worse.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Joshua is great, he serves as a great contrast to Estelle’s character to balance it out. I think I would like Rean more if he had someone who served a similar function

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Joshua cons: boring, lame, not cool, stupid
Joshua pros: harmonica, his dumb scarf in second chapter, his cool jacket in the 3rd

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

who the gently caress follows a cat into the depths of a haunted building, seriously

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Hwurmp posted:

who the gently caress follows a cat into the depths of a haunted building, seriously

An idiot. Especially in a world full of human-eating monsters everywhere off the highways and sometimes on the highways.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Joshua sucks Estelle is ok Rean is good.

Elise is bad and Estelle x Joshua was bad.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

thanks for your very detailed opinions that contributed a lot to the conversation

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I still think it's weirder that this world is largely populated by literal super children who make effective secret agents, spies, assassins, and mercenaries. Trails in the Sky 1 seems so grounded in the beginning with the protagonists starting at 16 and being only junior Bracers with advisers and mentors. The fact that everyone is a Lannister just means that Falcom was ahead of the curve.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Estelle is good, Joshua is okay

Their pairing is a reminder to maybe double/triple/quadruple check your writing and make sure everyone is fine with the backstory you give your characters before having em smooch.

Rean tries really hard. I gotta give him that much.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
He deserves a pat on the head.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
https://twitter.com/NISAmerica/status/1126471886437736448

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Everyone sounds good, no complaints here.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Yeah, the new Class VII all sound good. I think they even got Altina's voice actress back from Cold Steel 2, or they got someone who's doing a very good impression.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
From the looks of it, the game's site received a rather significant update including a character section though that one seems to be a copy of the Japanese character profiles on Falcom's original site, including the same Japanese screenshots.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Erika Harlacher as Juna is interesting and not quite what I expected but I think she'll make it work. Alexis Tipton is Musse and I think that's just on the nose casting. Don't recognize Kurt's VA though.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Logicblade posted:

Erika Harlacher as Juna is interesting and not quite what I expected but I think she'll make it work. Alexis Tipton is Musse and I think that's just on the nose casting. Don't recognize Kurt's VA though.

Hatsuu talked about how she really really wanted Laura Bailey as Musse, so Alexis Tipton was my #1 pick for her, lol

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I lost a bet so I'm playing ToCS for the first time on Nightmare difficulty.
Thank you Boston Celtics.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Ah yes Rean as a teacher and also still being the protagonist means that he will be holding back 75% of the game. A bold move being able to let your students all die painful deaths to the first hard boss because you held back.

Unless every student you have is also holding back

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm holding back my gamer level when I start all these games. Then, when the final boss appears, I show them what they're really messing with.

My gamer level is 0.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

IceBorg posted:

Ah yes Rean as a teacher and also still being the protagonist means that he will be holding back 75% of the game. A bold move being able to let your students all die painful deaths to the first hard boss because you held back.

The impression I got from CS3 with regards to Rean is that he was actually relying almost entirely on his oni strength power to fight at the level of his stronger classmates (like Laura or Fie) and that without the ability to freely use it he's actually legitimately struggling with his opponents (the scene where him and new Class VII are struggling with some mechs and then Laura appears and instantly wipes them all out comes to mind).

Though the series in general has an issue where it's often not clear how strong characters are "canonically." Like, it's obvious that someone like Machias, Elliot, or Alisa is not actually a huge badass on a similar level to that of an Ouroboros enforcer, whereas someone like Laura or Fie (or CS3 Gaius) probably is.

U-DO Burger posted:

My issue with Elise is less the "sister" thing (though that's still pretty bad, and is also an issue with Estelle/Joshua), and more her whole fawning attitude towards Rean, where she basically worships the guy.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 10, 2019

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
While she is a tremendous bro-con, he saved her from a monster, a traumatic memory they both deal with for at least the course of the first game, I forget CS2.

But, what did Joshua and Estelle do? Wiki synposis doesn't clue me in much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Joshua and Estelle don’t have that kind of fawning relationship.

Estelle was friendly and forced JOSHUA to be more personable but that never became the same worship like state.

Though they were closer in age and not as young as Elise was so that might have changed things.

Why did autocorrect caps lock Joshua