Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

Gorgar posted:

Demon Cleaner in particular, but the whole album really, does sound like fuzz to me. Fuzz will get more aggressive if you run it through an aggressive amp, but that doesn't sound like what's happening here. I guess he was using a JCM900, according to some quick internet research. Never played one, but based on my experience with other Marshalls, I'd be surprised if they could be gotten to sound like that, even with the downtuning and bass cab, without some sort of fuzz, to take away some of the crispness and give it that sort of lazy underachiever sound I hear all over the album.

Fun fact about JCM900s: There are actually like 3-4 almost completely different amps that go by that name. I can't remember the model numbers, but I think the SLX ones are *really* close to a hotrod Plexi a la Friedman (they have an additional gain stage). One of the other models is, bizarrely, only really good for cleans, but apparently has like Jazz Chorus style sterile cleans. And there are two that are just unimaginably awful sounding.

The SLX is on my "buy eventually" list since people don't really know that they're significantly better sounding than the other, very lovely JCM900s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

At its core a JCM 900 is an 800 with an extra gain stage and diode clipping.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 15, 2019

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

massive spider posted:

I played an orange dark terror in the store (with a sales clerk who drew me in with the promise that for 30 seconds they'd step outside the store and I could turn it up to 10) and I might be prepared to renounce digital now.

I seriously loved the original tiny terror I had. They're fantastic sounding amps and not just "for the size" the ability to wind it up to power tube distortion is part of the fun.

The only issue I had with my old one was a few gig where we weren't given any PA reinforcement and I couldnt get any clean headroom, but gently caress clean headroom.

It's really fun and clean headroom doesn't even matter when the amp is high gain anyway :black101:

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

At its core a JCM 900 is an 800 with an extra gain stage and diode clipping.

I could be wrong about this but I think only some models have diode clipping, whereas some of the models have two tube gain stages. I think the double reverb one doesn't use tubes for distortion at all.

Edit: According to some nerd on the Marshall forums:

some nerd posted:

All 900's sell used for about $500 depending on where you are, although the Mk III's usually go for a little more. The Mk III and SL-X get their distortion via a tube preamp, while the 4100 uses clipping diodes for preamp gain and tubes only for the clean tones.

The Mk III is the rarest of the models and seems to be the most liked. It sounds like a late model JCM 800 but with an extra preamp stage. The SL-X is very similar to the DSL red channel, meaning more gain than most people need (but it's good to have!). It's a great metal amp.

The 4100 is by far my least loved Marshall ever for tone, so let the owners who love them chime in on what's good about it. Many people like them but I'm not one of them. If you like the SL-X you won't like the 4100.

I'd buy the Mk III of the three models but that's just me. The SL-X is also an excellent amp.

Gnumonic fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 15, 2019

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Gorgar posted:

Demon Cleaner in particular, but the whole album really, does sound like fuzz to me. Fuzz will get more aggressive if you run it through an aggressive amp, but that doesn't sound like what's happening here. I guess he was using a JCM900, according to some quick internet research. Never played one, but based on my experience with other Marshalls, I'd be surprised if they could be gotten to sound like that, even with the downtuning and bass cab, without some sort of fuzz, to take away some of the crispness and give it that sort of lazy underachiever sound I hear all over the album.

it's a mix of neck pickup, bass cabs, and a mosfet bass head along with the jcm900

it doesn't take much to get a darker, fuzzier tone from marshalls

this is a jcm800 with everything dimed and a tubescreamer boost, with the guitar tone knob all the way off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTy4Yxbhnu8

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000
Yeah that's what I mean, why are we buying fuzz pedals to get that sound if it was originally done with an OD pedal and an amp? It's just weird because that Dunwich pedal sounds great, I think Sarcophagus sounds great, I think the LSTR sounds great, these pedals are all in the realm of tones I like, but they're kind of an approximation, right? I mean if it works it works, but something isn't adding up here.

Like those Electric amp demos, man they sound just about perfect and I wish I had bought one back before whatever is going on now with that company started. They're better fuzz than any fuzz pedal, but they aren't a fuzz circuit, know what I mean? If they're based on old Matamp designs they can't be the only company doing them though, right? Anyone else make a great stoner metal amp these days? Or maybe there's not so much to it, plug into a great metal amp and tune to C?

Anyway one thing I remember about Kyuss is an old interview that went basically "we did everything you're supposed to do that people don't, like we put the guitar cabs at the end of a hallway and the mics at the other end". I don't remember the details, but seems like a big part of Sky Valley sound might have been a far mic setup.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

A classic fuzz circuit is basically a tiny broken transistor amp being overdriven straight to gently caress. :shrug:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

fuzz tends to work with powerful high headroom amps which gives you a lot more low end and tends to sound better in the room; it's popular with a lot of doom bands because it's an excuse to get MORE POWER

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

So should I really buy a reactive load box/attenuator? Is it really that useful as a low volume player? If it would really open my OR15 up and get it sounding even better somehow then I may as well. I am massively into the idea of being able to see if I like recording my amp direct since I dislike software but love the thought of being able to record straight into a DAW when necessary.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I've gotten usable direct recordings with a Rivera Rockcrusher Recording, including at low volume. There's too much street noise where I live for mics to be practical, plus I'm in an apartment. I did fool around with isolation cabinets, but the Riveras sounded better. and I'd rather gently caress with an eq than keep opening the isocabs and adjusting mic placement.

Also have a couple Hot Plates, but the direct sound on those is not great.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

What's everyone's favorite all-tube combo with about 12-15 watts of power, an effects loop, and fantastic cleans? Bonus for a master volume (or equivalent, like a wattage switch) to get nice breakup without ear damage. Budget is open, would love to be in the 6-700 range or maybe a bit more.

I have a VHT Special 6 Ultra and it's just kinda boxy and closed. Tone-wise, probably the best sounding to me amp I've heard is my buddy's Dr Z MAZ 18 (maybe I should just get one of those). I play a strat primarily.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Look... a lot of people misunderstand what driving an amp means. A boost will overdrive your preamp just fine at any volume. When people talk about making an amp scream they are, essentially, talking about pushing the power section so hard it becomes, in effect, a compressor with a slow rise and drop off. Someone else can explain why but a clever use of compression after your preamp but before your interface can simulate power amp and rectifier sag to a shocking degree.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Rincey posted:

What's everyone's favorite all-tube combo with about 12-15 watts of power, an effects loop, and fantastic cleans? Bonus for a master volume (or equivalent, like a wattage switch) to get nice breakup without ear damage. Budget is open, would love to be in the 6-700 range or maybe a bit more.

I have a VHT Special 6 Ultra and it's just kinda boxy and closed. Tone-wise, probably the best sounding to me amp I've heard is my buddy's Dr Z MAZ 18 (maybe I should just get one of those). I play a strat primarily.
Since you like that Dr Z I am guessing that what you want in "fantastic cleans" is just not out there sans ear damage. Ear damage seems to be a prerequisite for all tube fantastic cleans. Describe "fantastic cleans" in more detail, please (so that we can better answer the question, I mean.)

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

I generally like Fender style chimy cleans with a decent amount of low end (I'm a bass player that occasionally plays guitar). I've tried the DRRI and PRRI and didn't find either of them that great at first blush, but didn't spend a ton of time with them and am willing to give them a longer look.

I like Supros as well, both in sound and look, and have been checking out their line. There's a good local dealer here so I might go play their stuff.

I remember really liking the clean channel on my buddy's Triple Rectifier head, but that was a long time ago.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Rincey posted:

I generally like Fender style chimy cleans with a decent amount of low end (I'm a bass player that occasionally plays guitar). I've tried the DRRI and PRRI and didn't find either of them that great at first blush, but didn't spend a ton of time with them and am willing to give them a longer look.

I like Supros as well, both in sound and look, and have been checking out their line. There's a good local dealer here so I might go play their stuff.

I remember really liking the clean channel on my buddy's Triple Rectifier head, but that was a long time ago.
Same. I was afraid you'd say something like this. Because I really meant what I said. For the kind of awesome (singing, sustaining, insistent) clean sounds you like (as a Strat player) you probably need to build a bunker and put a Super, a Twin, or if you can find one, a Pearce rig in there and put ear muffs on. None of that is going to happen IMO at low volume. A Fender Rampart or a Champ will do this stuff, but it will still be so very very loud and forget about channels, effects loops, or anything a civilized society cares about.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Rincey posted:

I generally like Fender style chimy cleans with a decent amount of low end (I'm a bass player that occasionally plays guitar).

I don’t know how exactly chimey it gets, but if you run across a used Bassman 100T it might be worth looking at. I used the recording out for guitar and was happy enough with it. Makes a decent bass amp too if it’s loud enough for you.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Rincey posted:

rectoverb 25 combos usually go for just under a grand used on reverb. they pretty much hit all your criteria including switchable wattage

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Gorgar posted:

I've gotten usable direct recordings with a Rivera Rockcrusher Recording, including at low volume. There's too much street noise where I live for mics to be practical, plus I'm in an apartment. I did fool around with isolation cabinets, but the Riveras sounded better. and I'd rather gently caress with an eq than keep opening the isocabs and adjusting mic placement.

Also have a couple Hot Plates, but the direct sound on those is not great.

An iso cab IS tempting but that’s also a bit of pain in its own way yeah. The direct option adds the bonus of monitoring via headphones too allowing me to effectively add a silent headphone option to my Orange head.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Look... a lot of people misunderstand what driving an amp means. A boost will overdrive your preamp just fine at any volume. When people talk about making an amp scream they are, essentially, talking about pushing the power section so hard it becomes, in effect, a compressor with a slow rise and drop off. Someone else can explain why but a clever use of compression after your preamp but before your interface can simulate power amp and rectifier sag to a shocking degree.

Yeah preamp is no issue. This amp has tons of gain and I like to use a boost sometimes to “shape” it. That’s pretty well covered. As for the compressor after the pre, wouldn’t I be better off just going with an attenuator like the Captor Reactive Loadbox I’m looking at? That would be a more direct option in getting what I want + free up a pedalboard spot. I know that if I approximate being able to crank the power stage that I’ll end up just wanting the real thing.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Muppets On PCP posted:

rectoverb 25 combos usually go for just under a grand used on reverb. they pretty much hit all your criteria including switchable wattage
This. loving THIS.

(Source: have the head version. Combine it with any half-decent cab and it'll loving sing for you)

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis posted:

An iso cab IS tempting but that’s also a bit of pain in its own way yeah. The direct option adds the bonus of monitoring via headphones too allowing me to effectively add a silent headphone option to my Orange head.

Yeah preamp is no issue. This amp has tons of gain and I like to use a boost sometimes to “shape” it. That’s pretty well covered. As for the compressor after the pre, wouldn’t I be better off just going with an attenuator like the Captor Reactive Loadbox I’m looking at? That would be a more direct option in getting what I want + free up a pedalboard spot. I know that if I approximate being able to crank the power stage that I’ll end up just wanting the real thing.

Yea I guess my suggestion is just cheaper.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yeah the captor isn’t all that pricey and I’d rather pay a bit extra to get the full thing. Thanks for the info though, I had no idea about the compressor thing.

You can’t put a price tag on TONE :banjo:

That strange guy
Dec 14, 2014

It's not strange if we never mention it again.

Hollis Brownsound posted:

So I've got an opportunity to pick up, what I think, is an early 80's Peavey Deuce VT series for $200. I just got done playing around on it and I like the way it sounds a lot actually. A lot of you guys know I play a lot of country and this amp can be really spanky, I also think it's gonna sound good with my pedal steel.

My gut says buy it, and so does my brain. What do you guys say?

I hope you bought this.

I just picked up my second Peavy Deuce and need to get the footswitch. The first one I bought had two melted tubes and mismatched speakers (Celestion Seventy 80 and a unmarked speaker). The guy that sold it to me said he was running it on two tubes so I put it in the repair pile and didn't mess with it.
The new one is in good working condition and has matched number Fender speakers in it , but I have a pair of scorpions out of a Peavey Renown that I might swap in. Did not know about the phaser until the seller showed me.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

So should I really buy a reactive load box/attenuator? Is it really that useful as a low volume player? If it would really open my OR15 up and get it sounding even better somehow then I may as well. I am massively into the idea of being able to see if I like recording my amp direct since I dislike software but love the thought of being able to record straight into a DAW when necessary.

I use a reactive load with my Mesa Dual Rec and it's amazing. Recording direct and using cabinet IRs is my new go-to, even when volume isn't a concern. A good IR sounds indistinguishable from a real mic'd cab to me and it takes a lot of the variance and headache out of recording.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Iucounu posted:

I use a reactive load with my Mesa Dual Rec and it's amazing. Recording direct and using cabinet IRs is my new go-to, even when volume isn't a concern. A good IR sounds indistinguishable from a real mic'd cab to me and it takes a lot of the variance and headache out of recording.
Yeah. While I still use mic'd up cabs, trying the Two Notes stuff recently at a friend's studio made me realize that just maybe I should cut that poo poo out.

Waldstein Sonata
Feb 19, 2013
I'm rolling in on two years of using a Two Notes Torpedo Live and they have been the most fun guitar years since I was a teenager. Being able to crank a 5150 III or a Splawn Quickrod at any time of day or night just feels good, even if your hair isn't getting blown back. It made me realize that it was the feel that made me meh on modelers/amp sims, regardless of how good they sounded.

Plus if I'm ever in the red, I'll be able to sell the EVH or Splawn for actual money instead of being like those dudes with AxeFX IIs crying about "oh my god, why won't anyone give me what I paid for this 10 year old digital modeler!?"

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yeah I guess I’ll have to buy one. Modelers are boring and uninspiring. Amps are LOUD and sometimes hard to record, even more so when I decide I’m feeling creative at 3am.

Silly question but with my orange head + pedalboard plugged into my computer interface via the captor I could basically monitor it just like if I was using amp sims right? My entire “real” setup funneled into my headphones? That would be awesome.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Waldstein Sonata posted:

I'm rolling in on two years of using a Two Notes Torpedo Live and they have been the most fun guitar years since I was a teenager. Being able to crank a 5150 III or a Splawn Quickrod at any time of day or night just feels good, even if your hair isn't getting blown back. It made me realize that it was the feel that made me meh on modelers/amp sims, regardless of how good they sounded.

Plus if I'm ever in the red, I'll be able to sell the EVH or Splawn for actual money instead of being like those dudes with AxeFX IIs crying about "oh my god, why won't anyone give me what I paid for this 10 year old digital modeler!?"

Too right, bruh. You can't get the power tube compression/output transformer *WHOMP* effect with a preamp out -> audio interface. You can't get it with dsp and impulse responses. You have to physically kick your tubes and transformer in their dick and rear end and it is good.

That said, I've been trying out this thing:

https://kazrog.com/products/true-iron/

and it's pretty fuckin' sweet. :banjo:

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

I’ve got a Fryette Power Station 2 and what’s really cool about it is that it has a 50 watt tube power amp built in so I can run a real cab to get feedback and feel while recording direct through the reactive load. You can also use it to beef up small tube amps if you want to use them with a live band. Really nice piece of kit.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

Yeah I guess I’ll have to buy one. Modelers are boring and uninspiring. Amps are LOUD and sometimes hard to record, even more so when I decide I’m feeling creative at 3am.

Silly question but with my orange head + pedalboard plugged into my computer interface via the captor I could basically monitor it just like if I was using amp sims right? My entire “real” setup funneled into my headphones? That would be awesome.

Yeah you can run everything into headphones. I'm not 100% sure if the line out works when you're in thru or attenuator mode, but I thiiiiink it does.

Oh also, though you might need a DI box to knock the signal down to instrument level, you can run time based effects after the "power amp" by placing them after the captor. I don't know that it makes a huge difference in sound, but it's a neat way to add some loop functionality to an amp that lacks it. (I love my ceriatone but the FX loop sucks so I run everything after the captor.)

Gnumonic fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 5, 2019

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

My OR15’s loop is great so I shouldn’t run into any issues. Appreciate the advice though, that’s good to know and I hadn’t really considered that option. I can see it being useful for recording with non fx loop amps too.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I've had a Runt-20's for a number of years and it's been an excellent amplifier, but while I was playing today, the volume cut down significantly - I turned the amp off and let it cool down/etc. for a while and turned it back on, but it's the same.

The sound coming out of either channel is very quiet. I can turn it up so it's louder, but nowhere near what it was before - and it's a little distorted. I imagine it needs some kind of service/etc. but I wouldn't know where to start - any ideas? I gave all five tubes a tap with the end of a plectrum and no giant bonging or ringing comes out of the amp.

EDIT: it is absolutely typical that this happened within a few days of me getting my musical mojo back :smith:

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 8, 2019

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Obvious starting point, but have you started with changing out the cable and instrument?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

After The War posted:

Obvious starting point, but have you started with changing out the cable and instrument?

Tried:

Guitar > Cable 1 -> pedalboard -> cable 2 > amp
Guitar (and smacking the cable against a metal surface) > cable 2 > amp
Guitar (and smacking the cable against a metal surface) > cable1 > amp

New development, now it just makes loud rushing static sounds when it turns on, which temporarily get louder when it gets turned off.

EDIT: Plugging into the FX return gives me sound from the guitar, so must be something in the preamp?
EDIT2: I had an ECC83 squirreled away somewhere so I swapped that for the one in the amp and by happy coincidence it was the one that was dodgy, and it's perfect again :)

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jun 9, 2019

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Another success story for the Amplifier thread! :woop:

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained
Would I be able to power these (100w RMS / 400 peak 8" passive 4ohm)

https://www.amazon.com/Rockville-SP...way&sr=8-3&th=1

With something like this (listed at 160w but I can't tell if that's RMS or peak...)

https://www.amazon.com/TDA7498E-Aud...&sr=1-1-catcorr

For live vocals?

Context: I have jam sessions in my living room. Vocals get lost in the instruments. I want to amplify voices over the acoustic guitars and hand drums. Sometimes a backing track played as well, quasi-karaoke style.) It's a small room, 20x10, and we are talking 15 people MAXIMUM.

More context: I'd be running a mic or two through this:
https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-Q502USB-Premium-5-Input-Interface/dp/B008O516JW

or maybe this:
https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-4-Cha...QP2DML5W&sr=1-2

And last bit of context and another question:

Any reason this exact setup wouldn't also work for audio from movies in the backyard on a projector?

edit: Or stop being such a pedant and just get a fender passport?

r.y.f.s.o. fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 10, 2019

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
I wouldn't use those speakers or amp. You could find a cheap powered PA on craigslist all day every day. Those little mixers will be fine. You might want a mixer with a little bit of eq, to control some feedback issues you're bound to have. Also yes the same PA for movies. The Fender Passport is nice, but I'm sure you can find a better deal on craiglist.

Here's some stuff I would buy for the same amount as the Fender after a quick search on my local CL.

Way more power, and stands for movie night.
https://austin.craigslist.org/msg/d/manor-pa-with-speakers-and-stands/6908707028.html

These powered speakers have been workhorses for years, get a little mixer and you're set.
https://austin.craigslist.org/msg/d/austin-jbl-eon-10-g1-powered-monitor/6890516992.html

Same basic PA.
https://austin.craigslist.org/msg/d/austin-harbinger-pa-system/6906097345.html

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Those Class D amps are fine for using with a preamp.

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained
https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/msg/d/decatur-kustom-pa-profile-system-one/6899603011.html

Something like that perhaps?

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
That's perfect. Grab an RCA to 1/8th inch, you'll be able to plug just about anything into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained
I reached out so now we will see.

Its CL so theres a decent chance they reply sorry it's been sold and they can't be arsed to click delete post, a smaller but still significant chance they want to trade it for meth and / or oral sex, and remaining outcomes an equal mix of them ghosting me, misrepresenting its condition, jerking me around until I rage quit, and actually selling it as promised in a reasonable time.