Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Some of what moves can do is already covered by abilities though, which have the added benefit of acting automatically. Intimidate would be functionally be the same as Growl, but the fact that it activates as soon as the Pokémon is sent out rather then taking up a moveslot and having to use it manually. Same goes for Sturdy vs Endure, Weather abilities vs weather moves and Terrain moves vs Terrain abilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Adding more moves sounds like the "why don't they get rid of motions" fighting game discussion, as in it probably fucks up competitive for reasons that aren't very clear to the laymen, while also just kinda making everything...blander.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Dias posted:

Adding more moves sounds like the "why don't they get rid of motions" fighting game discussion, as in it probably fucks up competitive for reasons that aren't very clear to the laymen, while also just kinda making everything...blander.

As somebody who can't 6-3-2-1-4-6 consistently to save his life, I hate your argument on a personal level. However, the restriction to 4 moves definitely feels like it adds a layer of planning and party building. I have a feeling they'd have to abandon the entire past franchise and reboot to balance 5+ moves properly.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

At this point, some Pokemon have movepools that would make them much more versatile if they weren't limited by the 4 move limit. Part of Pokémon's success relies on how diverse suggested movesets are. With a large enough number of moves to learn, two Pokémon that are identical in every other aspect can function differently from each other. More variations invites more strategies, which is better for gameplay overall.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I'd be down with a fifth slot just for field moves but it's not strictly needed.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

YaketySass posted:

I'd be down with a fifth slot just for field moves but it's not strictly needed.

:hmmyes:

We kinda had this in SuMo, but having a slot for Sweet Scent and the like would be rad.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
give them six moves but you can still only use four per battle

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

give them four moves but limit their use with "power points"

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
If the moveset is expanded past four into a six or eight-move moveset, one idea might be to put a cap on moves based on the pokemon's type.

For instance, at least half of a Pokemon's moves must share its typing, with Normal being the only unrestricted type. So a Water/Flying Pokemon (in a six-move moveset) must have at least three Water, Flying, or Normal moves.

Or, like someone earlier suggested, the cap is based on damage or support moves, with a Pokemon only being able to take up to four damaging moves, with the remaining slots devoted to support.

The benefits of an expanded moveset would be that buffs/debuffs become more useful since they're not competing with damage moves as much, and it would help solve the issue of HMs taking up space on Pokemon movesets (though replacing HMs with riding Pokemon or field moves seems to have solved that issue).

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I don’t actually want more moves but it’d be cool if you could use five or even more moves

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Maybe there could be held items that granted the Pokemon a (usually relatively weak) fifth move? They could be called A-Crystals.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Stick with four moveslots, but outside of battles, let your pokemon freely switch between any moves they've ever learned without having to haul your rear end to the move relearner and hawk over a bunch of heart scales.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Cattail Prophet posted:

Stick with four moveslots, but outside of battles, let your pokemon freely switch between any moves they've ever learned without having to haul your rear end to the move relearner and hawk over a bunch of heart scales.

This feels like the best possible choice really. The only issue I can see with it is that it'd grant you essentially infinite PP but it could make it so you can never recover PP from it and then it's fine.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Blaze Dragon posted:

This feels like the best possible choice really. The only issue I can see with it is that it'd grant you essentially infinite PP but it could make it so you can never recover PP from it and then it's fine.

Essentially infinite PP already kinda exists with unlimited use TMs.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Or heck, if you absolutely must have some kind of restriction, make it a function of pokemon centers. I actually kind of like this idea because it introduces an extra layer of strategic planning. Delving into a cave or exploring a new route? Load up on high PP moves so your team has some extra staying power for the journey. About to challenge a gym? Swap in your heavy hitting moves to give yourself the edge.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Or you just use repel and avoid wild Pokémon and just save your ethers and elixers for dungeons.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Later games have incorporated more uses for berries. Have the player rely on them more. Especially Lum, Leppa and Sitrus berries.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I truly don’t understand why all the Pokémon back catalogue games aren’t available on the 3DS store

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i only feed my pokemon berries and real food and drinks. potions are mass produced garbage

indigi posted:

I truly don’t understand why all the Pokémon back catalogue games aren’t available on the 3DS store

rse isn't on the 3ds store because they made oras. never compete against your own product.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I want to play Black/Black 2

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

indigi posted:

I want to play Black/Black 2

the 3ds can play ds games already

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Cattail Prophet posted:

I vote for this option. Except, maybe toned down a bit so you have, say a pool of ten or so moves that you have to manually swap out for the usual four battle moves on the field between fights.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
You can't control your Pokemon anymore, you just let it and the opponent fight it out on their own. Also a realistic physics and biology simulator for battles has been added for enhanced game-play

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

mandatory lesbian posted:

the 3ds can play ds games already

yes and you can buy used copies for fifty dollars and new ones for a hundred and forty

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Farecoal posted:

You can't control your Pokemon anymore, you just let it and the opponent fight it out on their own.
They did this in one of the battle frontiers and it kind of sucked really bad.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Are the any SA or thread rules to worry about if I want to offload a get stack of codes?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I need a Shyngarde pls

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

indigi posted:

I need a Shyngarde pls

If I don't find any rules to the contrary, I'll do a few code dumps starting Monday.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

theres no rules

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

d3lness posted:

If I don't find any rules to the contrary, I'll do a few code dumps starting Monday.

There’s no rules. They are, in fact, encouraged

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

There’s no rules. They are, in fact, encouraged

gently caress yeah Seaking. I have 13 Xerneas/Yvelal and 30 Shiny Zygarde codes. I'll get the up Monday when I have time to punch up all the codes.

Edit: I'm a douche. Apparently the codes expired. Really sorry for getting people's hopes up. :/

d3lness fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 5, 2019

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Tir McDohl posted:

Essentially infinite PP already kinda exists with unlimited use TMs.

No it doesn't. When you overwrite a move it keeps whatever pp it had or lowers it to the new maximum. So if you had 15 Headbutt pp and overwrote it with Fire Blast you'd be down to 5/5 Fire Blast. If you decided to go back to Headbutt in that slot you'd only be at 5/15 Headbutt PP.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I already have a toothpaste monster myself, but I wouldn’t say no to more minty freshness.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Cannot stress enough how loving awful Pokemon catching mechanics are.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Nasgate posted:

play a real pokemon game instead of let's go then

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Nasgate posted:

Elaborate? Some Pokémon having arbitrarily low catch rates is annoying but I think the overall mechanic is fine.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

RatHat posted:

Elaborate? Some Pokémon having arbitrarily low catch rates is annoying but I think the overall mechanic is fine.

Sitting around hitting the same button over and over again waiting for the inevitable is loving awful. It's not like there's any thought or skill involved in catching Pokemon. It wastes the players time for zero reason whatsoever.

Dabir posted:

play a real pokemon game instead of let's go then

Let's Go lets you skip the false swipe/spore time sink and skip straight to throwing pokeballs. And it adds a timing component that at least gives a modicum of engaging gameplay.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

And what engaging timing it is.

E: Not that catching in general is engaging or whatever. But tossing pokeballs with a flick and a timing element isn't any more fun than tossing pokeballs with a button press.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 5, 2019

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
it is really annoying when you've got all your strong Pokemon for fights and then you run across a low level Pokemon you want and you have to figure out which of your Pokemon can do damage to them without one-hit KOing them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
The situational balls made capturing Pokemon way easier. You just throw Quick Balls at them and then whatever ball fits your need. If you only play at night you just Dusk Ball everything into your boxes.