Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Coffee And Pie posted:

Says the poster with “crunk” in their username

Assigned to me by an admin circa 2007 yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

TwystNeko posted:

I just bought what is possibly the greatest t-shirt ever to come through my store.

I present to you "raptor with shades riding a shark with laser eyes".

This is loving rad.

I bought my husband a similar one, galaxy background, with a cat on it. The cat is eating a taco as well as a pizza. It is the finest of shirts, but you can't wear it if it's warm out because it's straight-up just a sheet of plastic, as far as I can tell.

I'm not allowed to use Wish when I'm drunk anymore.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

This is loving rad.

I bought my husband a similar one, galaxy background, with a cat on it. The cat is eating a taco as well as a pizza. It is the finest of shirts, but you can't wear it if it's warm out because it's straight-up just a sheet of plastic, as far as I can tell.

I'm not allowed to use Wish when I'm drunk anymore.

If it's wrong to love plastic shirts covered tip to tip in goofy poo poo then I am happy to be bad at fashion. I bought a shirt that sounds extremely similar to that at Target for entirely too much money. Also while drunk, but I wear it sober so

I'm so sorry y'alls Goodwills suck. I get banging good stuff at mine weekly because it's in a small town full of rich old folks. Also I'm a weird size and wear size 10 women's shoes so I never want for cool poo poo and it rules for finding stuff no one else sees. I love my unicorn Goodwill :3:

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

trickybiscuits posted:

Oh drat, I've been wondering for ages why Goodwill stopped being so good as it used to be. There used to be a lot more cool vintage stuff and now it's all modern boring poo poo. I did get a really nice pair of jeans for $4 there last week though so I'm not too bothered at the moment.

eta that I get cds of classical music secondhand- I spend a lot of time commuting and like having stuff to listen to- but this weekend I also found the soundtrack for Hairspray the musical and have been listening to it nonstop.
Follow-up: I went to play the classical music cds and both of the cases were missing the cds. fucccck

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Sometimes you just drive out to the country and browse the weirdness.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

queserasera posted:

Sometimes you just drive out to the country and browse the weirdness.

Please explain.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Slimy Hog posted:

Please explain.

Camerapedia posted:

The model 100 was one of Kodak's first Instamatic camera released in the USA.

It used the 126 film (Kodapak) cartridge.

The button on the front released a pop-up flash holder for a single AG-1 peanut flashbulb. Elevating the flash holder changes the shutter to 1/40th of a second whether there is a flashbulb in the holder or not.

Specifications

Type: viewfinder film camera
Manufacturer: Kodak
Production Dates: March 1963 - 1966
Film: 126 film cartridge
Lens: 43mm f/11
Image: nominal 26×26mm (hence 126), actual 29×28mm, masked to 26½×26½mm for printing
Shutter: mechanical leaf, 1/90 sec. and 1/40 sec. with flash popped up
Price: $15.95
Designer: Frank A. Zagara
Power: 2×AAA batteries for flash
Tripod Mount: none

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I also know how to use google, what I don't understand is why this is "weirdness"?

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

One is pristine and the other one looks like it was dragged out of a cesspit. Did they come from the same estate sale?

I was also trying to resuscitate the thread and well

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I love looking at old cameras! Something about the design really clicks with me.

ooooh it thicc
(not my pic or my camera)

I would love to see more thrifted technology!

1-600-DOCTORB
Nov 29, 2004

Side effects may include gopherism, multi-brow, and tracheal meerkat colonies
Pillbug
I collect old cameras, so I go thrifting a lot. This is one of my favorite finds. I spotted it in a glass case with a bunch of Christmas ornaments and stuff.

Japanese, from the 1950s. It still works! Theoretically. I just need to find some 17.5mm film.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

1-600-DOCTORB posted:

I collect old cameras, so I go thrifting a lot. This is one of my favorite finds. I spotted it in a glass case with a bunch of Christmas ornaments and stuff.

Japanese, from the 1950s. It still works! Theoretically. I just need to find some 17.5mm film.

That is so small! It looks kind of cute, like it was a toy or something. Presumably it wasn't for like secret agents or something?

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

A Strange Aeon posted:

That is so small! It looks kind of cute, like it was a toy or something. Presumably it wasn't for like secret agents or something?

They were a real working toy camera that was marketed as a spy camera.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I love everything about this!

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker
I have a bad case of GAS so I'm kind of itching to find some cool old cameras. But, I live in a college town so thrift store inventory is usually cheap junk and anything good will likely disappear pretty quickly. I need to find some nice relatively close antique stores to lurk for fun stuff.

At least I have ebay to throw my money at.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I love looking at old cameras! Something about the design really clicks with me.

ooooh it thicc
(not my pic or my camera)

I would love to see more thrifted technology!

It's weird seeing an inanimate object fall into the uncanny valley but this looks like a CGI rendering.

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Something about the design really clicks with me.

I appreciated that.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Yay camera chat! I thrifted up a Deltax No. 1 over the summer:

The bellows and rails are all in great shape and I'm very excited for my partner to teach me how to use it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

pseudorandom posted:

It's weird seeing an inanimate object fall into the uncanny valley but this looks like a CGI rendering.

I think it's just because it's completely clean.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

pseudorandom posted:

I have a bad case of GAS so I'm kind of itching to find some cool old cameras. But, I live in a college town so thrift store inventory is usually cheap junk and anything good will likely disappear pretty quickly. I need to find some nice relatively close antique stores to lurk for fun stuff.

Estate sales. I can find random cameras in just about any antique shop around here, but only estate sales can satisfy my passion for old strange books. Maybe you will have similar luck.

I wish I could find more cameras like the instamatic and fewer point-and-shoots.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

nothing to see here.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

I found some hipster toys at two different Goodwills on Saturday.

The lantern is dated as 1986 and just needed the nut around the valve stem tightened and some new mantles. It even had some old fuel in it. I swapped the LED conversion bulb out of an old Maglite into the flashlight and it works just as well.

Now I want to go back and get the other lantern they had that was probably from the '40s. The only reason I passed it up was this one held air when I pumped it, the older one probably needs some new seals.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

My mom seen some gas lanterns on FB and made me go get them (I'm in the city) and turned out the guy was loaded, huge rear end house and detached garage. With a couple hundred bucks I could have walked off with just about every power tool you could think of that I also wouldn't have used

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

GWBBQ posted:

A small selection of uranium glass jewelry I've found at local thrift stores.

So I took a much closer look at the chunky earrings at top and they're Swarovski. Nice find for I think $4

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Are you sure that one on the left is glass? Jewellery glass is usually clearer than that, it could be legit peridot

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Not thrift store. More of a dumpster dive. Found these two old school receivers in the trash behind my apartment. My buddy has been looking for something to play his vinyl through. He got the JVC. I'm keeping the Sony for a garage rig.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Its so great that people dont know poo poo about audio

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

codo27 posted:

Its so great that people dont know poo poo about audio

This but with a lot of things. So many people don’t think to just do a quick google/ebay search

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

RandomFerret posted:

Are you sure that one on the left is glass? Jewellery glass is usually clearer than that, it could be legit peridot
It glows green under UV like the rest

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Coffee And Pie posted:

This but with a lot of things. So many people don’t think to just do a quick google/ebay search

I hope it stays that way forever. The worst thing in Goodwill is the dingus holding something you want while they stand around blocking the aisle trying to look it up on their phone

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

GWBBQ posted:

It glows green under UV like the rest

Any tips on finding this stuff in the wild other than the flashlight? I'm in love with the look and story of uranium glass but I'm hesitant to pull the trigger on random stuff I see on Etsy.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Not thrift store. More of a dumpster dive. Found these two old school receivers in the trash behind my apartment. My buddy has been looking for something to play his vinyl through. He got the JVC. I'm keeping the Sony for a garage rig.

That Sony is really great. I've had one of the same model for years. A fun thing about them is if you have the remote for it and adjust the volume, the knob on the receiver has a motor attached and will turn as it changes. Totally over the top unnecessary feature, I love it.

edit: the remotes are as ridiculous as the receivers too. Such a sharp contrast to modern "Maybe one button on a neutral background is too many..." design trends.

super nailgun has a new favorite as of 08:55 on Apr 30, 2019

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Buddy of mine has an old Fisher I think it is that has the same volume knob trick. You should always spend on audio first before TVs or any other electronics. Its what lasts. I picked up my Klipsch towers for 275 CDN on Kijiji for the pair, I cant tell you the pleasure I get every time I watch pretty much anything with them. The THX intro that you can feel without even a dedicated sub is something else.

I actually haven't even gone thrifting in so long. I used to go once a week or two. I feel like too many people are in on it around here now.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Coffee And Pie posted:

I found a Yaesu FT-897D on craigslist listed as a "shortwave" radio with zero awareness of what it was. $75. I thought maybe he meant $750 and just typo'd, but nope. 75 bucks.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
From the fishing thread. Found a bunch of fly fishing gear at a garage sale. Here's a portion:

Guy selling it was selling his dad's estate stuff and was the biggest fuckin neckbeard I've ever personally seen. He said 500 and I said I have to go talk to my wife. He literally said, no you need to go tell your wife. I'm not making that up. I offered him 3 and he took it.

From that I cherry picked a few things and sold the rest for 1500. Best score yet.

King of Bees has a new favorite as of 00:32 on May 1, 2019

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Coffee And Pie posted:

Dang it Bobby

Hank Hill's masterpiece The Hwhat

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I recently picked up a fully working Samsung DVD recorder/VHS recorder at an indoor yard sale for $12. I paid just as much for a knockoff Chinese remote on eBay to go with it.

It's easily the best deal I've ever gotten. My Panasonic DVD recorder is pretty much fried at this point and I never could re-figure out how to connect it to a VCR to copy old tapes. I had considered buying myself a DVD recorder/VHS combo for Christmas but decent ones are at least $150, usually more.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I picked up an old Core 2 Duo desktop last year for like 15 bucks. 4gb of RAM, quickly put W10 on it and sold it for like 75 or something. A local real estate company closed a few years back and they had an office across from my street. I got 2 small form factor Dells for 5 bucks a pop. Too bad they had loving SiS graphics that just would not work with W10 beyond 1024x768. I think I ended up flipping them at 40 or 50 a pop.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
today was my old school's annual rummage sale, and, for being an alumni(and the new director of the school being my old homeroom teacher), donating lots of stuff, and helping them set stuff up/price stuff, they let me browse before they open the gates. Sometimes I get some really incredible finds, like when I was still actually attending the school in 2002 and got 180 pounds of mostly star wars legos for 60 bucks, or last year when I found a genuine, original Jolly Chimp, or when I bought a rock collection someone had donated that had rocks from all over the world. This year wasn't on that level, but I did get a pretty nice haul of other things, and the crown jewel of this particular trip wasn't antiquities or anything, but...something else.

first off, lots of appliances. last year I got a literally brand new $250 microwave there for $10, timely since my previous one had just conked out. The person had apparently donated it because the door has a very slight stick to it when opening it, but it's totally fine otherwise, had been used maybe once from the looks of it. I have a sous vide thing I got during an amazon sale, so finding a shitload of sous vide stuff there was nice, as well as an unopened drying rack, an unopened box of brita filters, an unopened ronco ready-grill, rice cooker, etc. I guess someone was doing some kitchen stuff and just decided gently caress it and donated everything they had just bought and didn't even open???

also this sweet kitchenaid hand-mixer!

hahahahaha just kidding I got a kitchenaid box full of lovely(and even rusty!) silverware, I even opened the drying rack box beforehand to make sure it was actually in there because I've bought poo poo there before that wasn't the same thing as the box was, but not this one, whoops!

being a school, smoking or drug-related paraphernalia is not allowed, and as I was helping out someone found what appears to be an antique hookah in a paper bag. Not knowing anything about it since my lungs kinda die when exposed to smoke of any kind, I don't know if it's garbage or worth trying to sell. They were going to toss it in the trash since they couldn't sell it, so I took it instead. Dunno if anyone in this thread would know anything about this, if it's busted, etc.

this book is pretty good

but here, here is the aforementioned "treasure" of this trip...there was this big pile of what seem to be mostly marvel cinematic universe fanart prints/lithographs in protective plastic cases. they are great. there's a few genuinely good ones, but most of them fit the "glance at it and it's fine, but actually look at it and ohhhhh noooooo", in particular almost every single instance of trying to replicate a real life person like robert downey jr. also the multiple examples of a character doing something intense like, say, getting socked in the face by vision wielding thor's hammer and just having a :geno: face, is the bessssst

remember that part of thor ragnarok when thor transformed into some sort of horrifying horse-demon(maybe it's a comic-only thing idk)

and this jurassic world one :discourse:

I also got a half dozen large tupperware bins I can use as recycle bins until they break and get tossed in with the recycling themselves. And a couple of upright fans I'll take to work and leave in the offices for people to use during the summer. They wanted $40 for everything but I talked them down to $100. Hey, it's a charity thing!

Captain Invictus has a new favorite as of 22:57 on May 4, 2019

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
That's Beta Ray Bill who is basically Horse Thor, yes.

An alien being who is "worthy"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hah, apparently he was supposed to show up in Thor ragnarok, but they cut his appearance because it was so quick and they didn't want him to just be a throwaway cameo. So maybe that print is in reference to that.