Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Bob Morales posted:

Apple 'officially' pulled the LG 4K from their stores....new Apple display coming?

Typical, we've just had 4 delivered to my workplace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

spookygonk posted:

Typical, we've just had 4 delivered to my workplace.

I love mine.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

I heard the Airs were the budget ones which is why I was looking at them. Ill look into 2015 models or maybe just something capable of emulating ios lol

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

StabMasterArson posted:

I heard the Airs were the budget ones which is why I was looking at them. Ill look into 2015 models or maybe just something capable of emulating ios lol

An Air from like 2011 onward will definitely do that. It’s just that the pricing on a used model in good shape tends to plateau a bit after a while. Why spend $150 on an eight year old computer when you can get double the performance from a six or seven year old computer for often like $100 more?

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!
I tried some streaming yesterday running the games on an oldish PC and directing the stream through the network (NDI and OBS to OBS) to a pimped Mac Mini 2018. The Mini's job was to stream the content to twitch. The stream itself seemed nice enough, but the CPU temp on the Mac reach 90-95 celcius and stayed there the whole time. I'm uncertain if that's very optimal? Will it damage the Mini to have such a load going for what could easily be hours? Anything I could try to remedy it?

eames
May 9, 2009

100°C CPU temperature is technically not optimal but (sadly) most macs are designed that way. Apple optimizes devices for typical workloads and the people who render videos for hours are a tiny fraction compared to those who just browse Safari and Mail.app and want a thin and quiet computer.
There's not much you can do about it. It won't be damaged, Intel specced their CPUs to work at 100°C for prolonged periods of time.

Anecdotally most of the Macbooks I used with high load over years eventually died and required a logic board replacement but that was probably just bad luck. :shobon:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's funny how the Intel NUC 8 runs to about 55 C temperature while it's a fraction of the size of the Mac Mini.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
OBS is broken on macOS and ridiculously CPU intensive. Idk what the fan system is like in the Mini or if there are any 3rd party controllers for it but you could try that, although I'd imagine if you were at 90 they'd already be at max.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

eames posted:

100°C CPU temperature is technically not optimal but (sadly) most macs are designed that way. Apple optimizes devices for typical workloads and the people who render videos for hours are a tiny fraction compared to those who just browse Safari and Mail.app and want a thin and quiet computer.
There's not much you can do about it. It won't be damaged, Intel specced their CPUs to work at 100°C for prolonged periods of time.

Anecdotally most of the Macbooks I used with high load over years eventually died and required a logic board replacement but that was probably just bad luck. :shobon:
Anecdotally my Mac minis have been fine...I think I’ve had seven off the top of my head, but yeah they run warm. Well one died a little while ago, my semi frankensteined 2006 one, but that might’ve been the PSU brick for all I know (too old to be worth troubleshooting).

Better anecdotal evidence would be something like Mac mini colo that has thousands in their data centers, or the various companies that also have big rear end arrays as testing machines. Course they have dedicated cooling and whatnot for their server rooms.

Mu Zeta posted:

It's funny how the Intel NUC 8 runs to about 55 C temperature while it's a fraction of the size of the Mac Mini.
Outside of the [angry logo] Canyon ones they’re much cooler CPUs than the new mini's.

American McGay posted:

OBS is broken on macOS and ridiculously CPU intensive. Idk what the fan system is like in the Mini or if there are any 3rd party controllers for it but you could try that, although I'd imagine if you were at 90 they'd already be at max.
Fan controller stuff works on the new one, at least the one that’s a part of iStat Menus.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yeah I use iStat to monitor on my iMac. Streaming with OBS + Gaming I've never seen it get above 60 though.

eames
May 9, 2009

Lower end or baseline CPUs also tend to run much cooler than the top-end CTO ones. IIRC my 2018 i5 Mac mini runs around 70 Celsius with handbrake once the fans have ramped up.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

iSimian posted:

I tried some streaming yesterday running the games on an oldish PC and directing the stream through the network (NDI and OBS to OBS) to a pimped Mac Mini 2018. The Mini's job was to stream the content to twitch. The stream itself seemed nice enough, but the CPU temp on the Mac reach 90-95 celcius and stayed there the whole time. I'm uncertain if that's very optimal? Will it damage the Mini to have such a load going for what could easily be hours? Anything I could try to remedy it?

It is an engineering decision by Apple. Forced air cooling works more efficiently as the difference in temperature between the device being cooled and the ultimate heat sink (the atmosphere) rises. The higher the change in temperature, the less airflow you need to remove a given amount of heat energy per unit time (heat per time = power aka watts). Apple designs their systems with fan controllers which allow CPU temps to get close to their maximum rating so that fan speeds can be kept lower.

The CPU in your Mini is rated by Intel to run at up to 100 degrees C. Apple's thermal systems will usually try to keep the CPU at least 5 degrees below Intel's rating. If, by some failure of Apple's cooling system, your CPU ever exceeds the 100C limit, Intel engineers in a shitload of self protection to prevent the CPU's temperature from running away and actually damaging itself. (Basically it slows itself down, all the way up to total shutdown, in order to keep temperature under control.)

Apple has been designing their thermal systems this way for a decade plus, they haven't had a scandal about Macs dying en masse because Intel isn't joking about their operating temperature ratings. Enjoy your computer.

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Thanks for all the inputs, that was great! I will hook the Mac up again with the NDI and try some more. It's and i7 with 6 cores, so I have trouble seeing how running an OBS stream should be too much hard work.
Very nice to know it has features to guard itself, and if the worst comes to show I got that sweet five year warranty.

I also wonder a bit wether enabling Hardware encoding on my GPU will help the CPU on the streaming Mac, or if that maybe doesn't matter much when running everything through the network?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

BobHoward posted:

Apple has been designing their thermal systems this way for a decade plus, they haven't had a scandal about Macs dying en masse because Intel isn't joking about their operating temperature ratings. Enjoy your computer.

The Core2Duo iMac I had whose GPU died because of heat would disagree. But that was Nvidia and not Intel.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Krispy Wafer posted:

The Core2Duo iMac I had whose GPU died because of heat would disagree. But that was Nvidia and not Intel.

I’ve experienced that too. This is just my theory but I think it’s because AMD and NVidia have been designing discrete GPUs as disposable items for gamers so long that they frequently do die young. Why bother putting in the work to make it reliable when most of the market is just going to run it hard for a year or two and then buy a new one?

Intel does a massively better job at making sure all their chips have long lifespans when run at rated temps. Maybe they’d fall down the same hole if they made decent discrete GPUs too, but they don’t and the products they do make have been very solid (with a couple notable exceptions).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
What vintage was the C2D iMac?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Electric Bugaloo posted:

What vintage was the C2D iMac?

Started in 2008 and Apple used those chips in one model or another for the next 3 years or so.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

Started in 2008 and Apple used those chips in one model or another for the next 3 years or so.

Yeah a lot of Macs from those years have problems with their NVidia chips dying from “heat exhaustion”.

To be fair, in 2008 the concept of buying an aftermarket GPU for PC gaming, specifically, had only been around for a few years. NVidia was founded in the early 90s and only became a serious deal around the end of that decade. The entire concept of “gamers swapping out and upgrading their cards” en masse wasn’t even a thing until the Windows 98 era.

Before some 50 year old chimes in with how they got a Graphics Expander or whatever for their Commodore in ‘87, I wanna reiterate that I’m talking about the way GPUs have been used in modern x86 systems (ie stuff that’s pertinent to the conversation). But more generally it’s sometimes easy to lose sight of the fact that compared to the development of something like cars or phones or TVs it’s still super early days for personal computing. Like, if we were discussing cars we’d still be firmly in the Model T era.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yes, but I’m still salty about my iMac becoming unusable after 3 years. It’s my one Apple bad experience.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

eames posted:

Lower end or baseline CPUs also tend to run much cooler than the top-end CTO ones. IIRC my 2018 i5 Mac mini runs around 70 Celsius with handbrake once the fans have ramped up.
Yeah I remember from early reviews that the i7 ran hotter than the i5.

iSimian posted:

Thanks for all the inputs, that was great! I will hook the Mac up again with the NDI and try some more. It's and i7 with 6 cores, so I have trouble seeing how running an OBS stream should be too much hard work.
Very nice to know it has features to guard itself, and if the worst comes to show I got that sweet five year warranty.

I also wonder a bit wether enabling Hardware encoding on my GPU will help the CPU on the streaming Mac, or if that maybe doesn't matter much when running everything through the network?
Five year warranty? AppleCare plus credit card extended coverage or something?

Otherwise about the settings, who knows. Ultimately if it’s just horribly optimized as mentioned I’m not sure what would really help. Some magic set of random settings could be the trick. Or something to manually throttle the CPU or disable hyperthreading if that’s possible.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

japtor posted:

Otherwise about the settings, who knows. Ultimately if it’s just horribly optimized as mentioned I’m not sure what would really help. Some magic set of random settings could be the trick. Or something to manually throttle the CPU or disable hyperthreading if that’s possible.

Try running OBS through a Windows vm?

I pretty much keep a copy of Windows 10 on my MBP so I can load up Office.

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

japtor posted:

Norwegian consumer rights , no AppleCare. I believe it's five years of warranty on anything that is supposed to last five year (including mobile phones).

Gay Retard posted:

Try running OBS through a Windows vm?

I pretty much keep a copy of Windows 10 on my MBP so I can load up Office.

Yeah, I think I might add a Bootcamp Windows on it and see if that is better optimized. I just hate the thought of booting into things.

Thanks for advices, tho, much appriciated!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

iSimian posted:

Norwegian consumer rights , no AppleCare. I believe it's five years of warranty on anything that is supposed to last five year (including mobile phones).

Yeah, I think I might add a Bootcamp Windows on it and see if that is better optimized. I just hate the thought of booting into things.

Thanks for advices, tho, much appriciated!

I just use VMWare for anytime I need to use Windows. Unless you want to game on it, a VM is plenty fast.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Sanity check here, but a Thunderbolt Display wouldn’t work with 99% of PCs, right? No just tricking them with a cable?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

nitsuga posted:

Sanity check here, but a Thunderbolt Display wouldn’t work with 99% of PCs, right? No just tricking them with a cable?

It will work if they have a Thunderbolt port. Even Thunderbolt 3 will work (the USB-C type connector) if you get the Thunderbolt 2 to 3 converter cable.

Even though they use the same connector, you cannot connect a Thunderbolt monitor to a MiniDisplayport output on a PC.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I still got until April 2020 on this 2016 15mbp with OG tb keyboard. Works fine for me except that I noticed lately a metallic sound when I tap on the sides of the touchpad. like a loose clanking lol

Can I take it to an apple store and tell them to check it my entire laptop or will they just gently caress it up and persuade me to buy a new one? Been a while since I dealt with "geniuses"

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
No idea about MacBook Pro's, but I just came back from the Genius Bar with a weird problem on my iPad that's never been reported by anyone and can't be accurately replicated which makes me look like I'm a crazy person. I walked out with a replacement 30 minutes later.

If you have AppleCare they tend to give you benefit of the doubt. Also that metallic sound could be the haptic engine coming loose which would be a bad thing.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
Not sure if this is a software or hardware "thing"

Audio out from my Mac Mini via a Behringer UMC202HD is super bass heavy regardless of what I do ? don't know how I did not notice this before now but whatever ..

Even with something like Boom 3d installed and the EQ preset set to Treble booster its still too much ?

No such issues with the Behringer on the PC ..

This has pretty huge effects for me as my main thing on the Mac is music production.. is the audio out known to be Bass heavy on Macs even with a USB interface used or what ?

EDIT:

I think the issue is with the Behringer not the internal audio, that sounds fine...

EDIT 2:

Nope, its on internal audio to ..

Is to much bass a know thing with Mac's or am I going insane ?

mfny fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 28, 2019

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Mac users! bwahaha
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC_ykJd8yDw

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Please don't post that turds awful videos in this thread lest the dreaded algorithm assumes I want to see more of that content.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
One mans turd is another mans lunch. It is hilarious after all.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

mfny posted:

Not sure if this is a software or hardware "thing"

Audio out from my Mac Mini via a Behringer UMC202HD is super bass heavy regardless of what I do ? don't know how I did not notice this before now but whatever ..

Even with something like Boom 3d installed and the EQ preset set to Treble booster its still too much ?

No such issues with the Behringer on the PC ..

This has pretty huge effects for me as my main thing on the Mac is music production.. is the audio out known to be Bass heavy on Macs even with a USB interface used or what ?

EDIT:

I think the issue is with the Behringer not the internal audio, that sounds fine...

EDIT 2:

Nope, its on internal audio to ..

Is to much bass a know thing with Mac's or am I going insane ?
Not happening on mine so I’d assume software. Have you tried without Boom 3D? Or any other audio things like that.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Foof, when was the last loving post in here? It's really gonna be the dog days until WWDC..

Anyway, here's a very detailed investigation by an Apple tech on reddit regarding our favorite shitchunk keyboard:

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/bjtyaw/macbook_pro_keyboard_failures_why_apples_dust/

tl;dr: it ain't dust, more bad design and poor choice of metals used for domes

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I was going to buy the latest gen MBA as Couchputer and occasional travel companion, is it worth to get AC+ because of the keeb issues or is the fruit stand still helping out when they don’t work?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hed posted:

I was going to buy the latest gen MBA as Couchputer and occasional travel companion, is it worth to get AC+ because of the keeb issues or is the fruit stand still helping out when they don’t work?

How much is it on the new airs?

I’m not totally sure it would be worth it if you are just going to use it like you said.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Have you considered an iPad?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Hed posted:

IMHO if it's going anywhere outside the house, like to work or something, get AC+.

Fruit Stand will only help out if it's still in warranty. AppleCare + extends the warranty from 1 to 3 years.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

My Visa credit card adds one year of warranty to computers. You should check if your card does the same.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Or get it from Costco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

Or get it from Costco.

But muh gigabytes