Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you want to be the 2020 Democratic Nominee?
This poll is closed.
Joe "the liberal who fights busing" Biden 27 1.40%
Bernie "please don't die" Sanders 1017 52.69%
Cory "charter schools" Booker 12 0.62%
Kirsten "wall street" Gillibrand 24 1.24%
Kamala "truancy queen" Harris 59 3.06%
Julian "who?" Castro 7 0.36%
Tulsi "gay panic" Gabbard 25 1.30%
Michael "crimes crimes crimes" Avenatti 22 1.14%
Sherrod "discount bernie" Brown 21 1.09%
Amy "horrible boss" Klobuchar 12 0.62%
Tammy "stands for america" Duckworth 48 2.49%
Beto "whataburger" O'Rourke 32 1.66%
Elizabeth "instagram beer" Warren 284 14.72%
Tom "impeach please" Steyer 4 0.21%
Michael "soda is the devil" Bloomberg 9 0.47%
Joseph Stalin 287 14.87%
Howard "coffee republican" Schultz 10 0.52%
Jay "nobody cares about climate change :(" Inslee 13 0.67%
Pete "gently caress the homeless" Butt Man 17 0.88%
Total: 1930 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

YaketySass posted:

Are we officially in Increasingly Nervous Man territory now?

No one can say anything worth anything until like near super tuesday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

KingNastidon posted:

Sanders is supporting free point of service everything. A pack of antibiotics won't cost insured patients $5 according to his plan.

Where does Sanders plan actually say that?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

YaketySass posted:

Are we officially in Increasingly Nervous Man territory now?

A lot of people seem to have been stranded in that territory for a while.

We haven't even have the first debate yet and Biden officially announced last week. Every single second is not the make or break point. Relax, donate, volunteer, drink a beer. There's still more time than a pregnancy left before Iowa.

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

I'm starting to feel like this "pharma revenue -> r&d spending -> new treatments, ergo anything that isn't good for pharma companies is bad because it will harm ~innovation~" logic is like the pharma version of the "it hurts liquidity" arguments used to defend against any new financial regulation.

You're right in that if Sanders or whoever said there'd be a 1% cut to pharmaceutical prices they'd spend $100M fear mongering to current seniors on Medicare that they are going to die because it'll harm innovation or their access to drugs. But for as much as I whine about lack of specifics, the 50% metric that Wampa cited is actually a useful benchmark to work from for a couple reasons.

1) No one actually knows what it means -- see discussion in this thread. Is that out of pocket costs like copays and coinsurance? Reduction in premiums? WAC or discounted rate? Reduction in aggregate spend on pharmaceuticals and therefore taxation under a zero cost sharing system? It shows that no one actually has a good understanding of M4A plans nor how the provider/insurer/patient dynamics work

2) 50% is really, really steep! You don't have to be a paid pharma shill like myself to understand about how cutting 50% of revenue in the country that contributes the most revenue would affect them. US revenue forecasts drive investment decisions to the point where rest of world (ROW) is often applied as a bulk-up after the fact because of the uncertainty around price in Europe, local trials that need to be run in Japan, uncertainty around access/price in China, etc. Therapies are always approved first in the US such that their sales have a much more meaningful impact to NPV given time value of money relative to potential ex-US approval. I can't tell you whether X% reduction in price is the "right" number, but it's easy enough for the industry to calculate what X may be to break even given the increase in insured US patient population given everyone is insured. The perception won't be that pharma must break even relative to status quo given the high profit margins of highly visible big pharma [ignoring the countless biotechs that fail to ever launch a product and lose hundreds of millions], but 50% is a hell of a change.

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

Where does Sanders plan actually say that?

By expanding coverage to the uninsured, adding new benefits and wiping out cost sharing, Medicare for all would encourage more Americans to seek health care services.

The plan Sanders proposes has no analog among the single-payer systems that currently exist. By covering a more comprehensive set of benefits and asking no cost sharing

Sanders' plan would also prohibit private plans from competing with Medicare and would eliminate cost-sharing

Mr Sanders' proposal would see an end to the "cost sharing" that makes up the current system: No deductibles, no premiums, no co-payments for care. The only out-of-pocket expense under Mr Sanders' plan would be for some non-generic prescription drugs, but any cost to the patient would be capped at $200 annually.

I guess some sources say there could be some cost sharing for certain drugs, but a $200 annual cap might as well be nothing. The vast majority of pharmaceutical spend is concentrated in older patients with multiple prescriptions with deductibles, coinsurance, copays, etc that exceed $200 a year. For younger patients with a serious condition like diabetes, cancer, or other condition that require a biologic/novel oral the $17/month out of pocket is inconsequential.

KingNastidon fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 5, 2019

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
These loving questions...

edit: The list in the box is poo poo I wrote down and didn't remove for the screenshot.

The most substantial question on this "Survey" is "So... Joe was a great veep, eh?!?!"

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 5, 2019

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Chilichimp posted:

These loving questions...

edit: The list in the box is poo poo I wrote down and didn't remove for the screenshot.

The most substantial question on this "Survey" is "So... Joe was a great veep, eh?!?!"

Lol at the top 5 VP rankings. Most people probably can't name more than two or three, if that.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The greatest VPs in American History:
1. Oh, that's easy, LBJ, right? Or maybe Teddy Roosevelt?
2. Wait, what did they even do when they were VP?
3. Does stuff they did after becoming Prez count? No?
4. Uh
5. poo poo

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Be skeptical of the Harvard-Harris CNN poll

https://twitter.com/geoffgarin/status/1124749440382918656?s=21

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

You realize those "surveys" are just donation emails with a few questions thrown in there? After you submit your answers, all they do is hit you up for money.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

You said he wanted free point of sale everything and your linked quote says Sanders plan would have point of sale costs for some prescriptions. You contradicted yourself faster than most.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

WampaLord posted:

You realize those "surveys" are just donation emails with a few questions thrown in there? After you submit your answers, all they do is hit you up for money.

Yeah, I'm just bringing it here so we can laugh at it, friend.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Chilichimp posted:

Yeah, I'm just bringing it here so we can laugh at it, friend.

Okay, fair enough, lol. I honestly have no idea if the candidates even bother looking at the data those things generate or just use them as a fundraising technique.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Libertine posted:

It's hard for me to process people talking about which candidate is proposing the best basket of new social services when all the polls posted so far seem to show that the largest voting constituency in the Democratic party is FYGM moderate/conservative senior citizens. Welcome to the helldome.

the average Democratic voter is your grandma and not your fellow posters on dnd

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

KingNastidon posted:

... a $200 annual cap might as well be nothing. ... inconsequential...

Is this.. criticism?

e: lol, even better

KingNastidon posted:

Insurers lose the profit margin and fail to have a reason to exist.

Unoriginal Name fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 5, 2019

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

WampaLord posted:

Okay, fair enough, lol. I honestly have no idea if the candidates even bother looking at the data those things generate or just use them as a fundraising technique.

It's so, so, so loving sleazy. Every question is just "how great is that joe guy?" and the only real substantive question is a free-answer box that they will 100% ignore even if it came with money attached.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Chilichimp posted:

It's so, so, so loving sleazy. Every question is just "how great is that joe guy?" and the only real substantive question is a free-answer box that they will 100% ignore even if it came with money attached.

Let's be honest, there's also "I'm a big poopiehead who wants to let Trump win."

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Here's Ro Khanna clearly and succinctly explaining the "But what about the jobs of people who work in healthcare under M4A?" question

https://twitter.com/TweetingYarnie/status/1124676652624166912

Typo posted:

the average Democratic voter is your grandma and not your fellow posters on dnd

https://twitter.com/mistyrebik/status/1124775768511397893

Looks like a fair number of grandpa/grandmas there, I don't think Joe Biden has exclusive claim on every single old person like some of this thread assumes.

Chilichimp posted:

Haha, welcome to campaigning! Even Bernie is not clean, I had to unsubscribe from the donation emails because even I find them tiresome.

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

You said he wanted free point of sale everything and your linked quote says Sanders plan would have point of sale costs for some prescriptions. You contradicted yourself faster than most.

Yes, I apologize that I wasn't 100% precise. On the 10% of healthcare spend associated with pharmaceuticals, cost sharing rules per the the plan

quote:

SEC. 202. NO COST-SHARING.
(a) IN GENERAL.—The Secretary shall ensure that no cost-sharing, including deductibles, coinsurance, copayments, or similar charges, be imposed on an individual for any benefits provided under this Act, except as described in subsection (b).
(b) EXCEPTIONS.—The Secretary may set a cost sharing schedule for prescription drugs and biological products
(1) provided that—
(A) such schedule is evidence-based and encourages the use of generic drugs;
(B) such cost-sharing does not apply to preventive drugs;
(C) such cost-sharing does not exceed $200 annually per individual, adjusted annually for inflation; and
(D) such cost-sharing is not imposed on individuals with a household income equal to or below 200 percent of the poverty line for a family of the size involved; and
(2) under which the Secretary may exempt brand-name drugs from consideration in determining whether an individual has reached any out-of-pocket limit if a generic version of such drug is available.

(A)The vast majority of common used antibiotics are generic (B) They could be categorized as exempt if classified as preventative eg lack of treatment leads to further complications (D) Nearly 1/3 the population is below 200% FPL

KingNastidon fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 5, 2019

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Typo posted:

remember when trump went before the national audience on the debate stage shat his pants and everybody just cheered

Trump 100% kicked rear end during the debates.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Honestly, I'm kind of looking forward to the stock market rising and falling on Bernie's polling. Just massive sell offs every time he's looking good. When he becomes the nominee another black day for the stock market.

And the whole time normal people are as unaffected as they are when the stock market is soaring and the rich are making money hand over fist. I'd love it if the economy keeps going as it is and the stock market is low, just on the off chance we finally stop pretending the stock market is the economy.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://twitter.com/lnaturale/status/1124853643063304193

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/mviser/status/1124859712548290561

Reset the Gaffe Clock!

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Gyges posted:

Honestly, I'm kind of looking forward to the stock market rising and falling on Bernie's polling. Just massive sell offs every time he's looking good. When he becomes the nominee another black day for the stock market.

And the whole time normal people are as unaffected as they are when the stock market is soaring and the rich are making money hand over fist. I'd love it if the economy keeps going as it is and the stock market is low, just on the off chance we finally stop pretending the stock market is the economy.
Well it's more like, if the stock market is doing well the working class is unaffected, and if the stock market does poorly the working class is in some deep poo poo for a while.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Old man is sundowning so hard he thinks it's the 80's.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Finally, a Liberal Trump approaches and he's also someone the media wants to pretend he knows what century this is, let alone run the country.

Awful CompSloth
Dec 15, 2018

To be fair Thatcher was quite sexual

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ofjSdEk-jeM

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Wicked Them Beats posted:

the fact he speaks like a mental patient is honestly his greatest asset. it's catnip to all the equally lead-addled boomer brains

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

The good news is that a bunch of his voters won't survive long enough to see the primaries. Will ten months of mortality be enough to save the republic from itself?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Bernie is better than we deserve.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

KingNastidon posted:

These are fundamental questions that influence how medicine is developed, commercialized, and provided to patients as well as what it'll cost to do so in terms of aggregate spend and taxation. We could eliminate formularies and make reimbursement rates $0 such that every current medicine is "free." That would have some uh minor ramifications on the number of companies willing to manufacture existing drugs and willingness to invest in the clinical development and commercialization of future drugs. On the other end of the spectrum you could have something like Part D expansion but ban negotiation or the ACA where you expand coverage with nothing to encourage negotiation.

The answer is somewhere in the middle and is pretty important in determining who thinks the proposal is good/bad and the feasibility of its passage. If you want to lower uncertainty then you should demand democrats provide slightly more guidance than "we will have a formulary" on their #1 issue that touches every single voter. Otherwise they're opening themselves up to endless speculation and fear mongering that opponents will exploit. Such speculation and skepticism increases the further your proposal is from the status quo, which is why there are seemingly higher standards for Sanders than say Biden.

The Pharmas spend far more on marketing than research.

nine out of 10 big pharmaceutical companies spend more on marketing than on research. ... The biggest spender, Johnson & Johnson, shelled out $17.5 billion on sales and marketing in 2013, compared with $8.2 billion for R&D. In the top 10, only Roche spent more on R&D than on sales and marketing.Feb 11, 2015

I don’t know why I bother posting this info over and over again.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And we thought 'Sleepy Joe' wasn't appropriate. It's been said before, the one thing about Trump that still functions is his ability to identify and exploit people's weaknesses.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Except he can't recognize or call out alzheimer's because that's the last cognizant thought he'll ever have.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Crabtree posted:

Except he can't recognize or call out alzheimer's because that's the last cognizant thought he'll ever have.

Hypocrisy has yet to stop him, and it's not like he hasn't already called out people for brain issues he clearly exhibits.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

Man. Reminds me of the Sopranos when they’re giving Junior the Alzheimer’s test.

“Who is the President of the United States?”
“George Bush”
“And who was the President before George Bush?”
“John Kennedy. You know where I was when he was shot? I was getting a haircut...”

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I think there’s a number of people running for President who are actually running for VP but aren’t going to admit it. One thing I think is very likely is that the “no two white men, this party has changed and you gotta have a woman or a POC on the ticket from now on” talk is entirely an Online phenomenon with no actual pull among people in power. If the primary ends tonight and Biden is the candidate, it’s stupidly likely that Beto is the VP and the party will go for it like they learned nothing, because at the end of the day they have to do something about EVs and what gets the biggest popular vote turnout in blue coastal states is just gonna result in another soft Trump victory.

If Abrams decides to get involved, I’d see her as another of these VPs in waiting, because while I think the party will still run two white guys if they think electoral math works, it’s still better if they don’t.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Biden is making me yearn for the days of Hillary. That’s saying something.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

theblackw0lf posted:

Biden is making me yearn for the days of Hillary. That’s saying something.

I feel like Hillary has a strong grasp of policy and could go on about all kinds of technical details like any good policy wonk (when her consultants who are constantly weighing the political calculus of every single move she makes say it would be advantageous for her to do so), whereas Biden is an empty suit who's good at spouting platitudes and will do anything to avoid having a detailed discussion of policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Is this the inverse of the Trump Tweets rule?
Y'know, how for any horrible thing you can think of, Trump has tweeted support of it, and for anything Trump has said, there's a tweet of him saying the opposite?

Except it's "for every good and decent thing, there is evidence that Bernie supported it?"

Pakled posted:

I feel like Hillary has a strong grasp of policy and could go on about all kinds of technical details like any good policy wonk (when her consultants who are constantly weighing the political calculus of every single move she makes say it would be advantageous for her to do so), whereas Biden is an empty suit who's good at spouting platitudes and will do anything to avoid having a detailed discussion of policy.

If Biden gets nominated (hell, even if he doesn't from the looks of things), he is going to dedicate the next 4 years to rehabilitating the Republican party's image and paving the way for "We Literally Invented a Time Machine and Rescued Hitler" to sweep the 2024 elections.