Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Gripweed posted:

it is really annoying when you've got all your strong Pokemon for fights and then you run across a low level Pokemon you want and you have to figure out which of your Pokemon can do damage to them without one-hit KOing them

That's when you stop caring, flare up Rotomdex for a Roto Catch, then throw a Quick Ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

And what engaging timing it is.

E: Not that catching in general is engaging or whatever. But tossing pokeballs with a flick and a timing element isn't any more fun than tossing pokeballs with a button press.

I'm not going to say it's great game play, but compared to mainline games it's god damned innovative.

The main thing is it wastes less of your time. In the time it took me to catch absol, I could've chained and gotten a Hitmonchan in Let's Go.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I never found catching easier in Let's Go honestly. Sure you skip having to weaken the pokemon but since you get pokeballs from doing just about anything in game it felt to me like the game was balanced around tossing a lot more balls than you usually would. And then you throw in a a lame timing element as well as having to wait for the pokemon to stop growling or attacking before you can throw your next ball, and there's also a chance for the pokemon to just leave. It never really felt any quicker.

Edit: Like the worst part of catching isn't having to weaken the pokemon first, it's that pokemon with low encounter rates also have low catch rates and just letting you get straight to throwing balls doesn't actually fix that.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 5, 2019

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Ime it takes more time to throw a single ball in Omega Ruby than it takes to throw two in Let's Go. And in catching all the non exclusives, I had 3 Pokemon flee. Vs the 5 that roared out in UM before I even finished the island challenge.

I will admit that maybe my experience with Let's Go was better than most due to luck and/or intuition with the controls. And I'm not saying it's the solution. But I still think it's a step in the right direction for the single game play element of Pokemon that has otherwise gone unchanged since Red/Blue.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The act of catching in lets go is fun to my girlfriend who only beat Crystal before. Therefore it's good.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I've probably had more pokemon run from me in Let's go than having a pokemon Roar or Whirlwind me over every other pokemon game i've played.

E: Not that catching in Let's Go is that bad I just don't find it any better than regular catching mechanics. They're both only ok.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
At least there aren’t any Roaming Pokémon anymore, those were such an awful mechanic. Game Freak was even dickish enough to give the beast trio Roar.

EDIT: As a bonus, in FR/LG if one of the beast trio used Roar they would permanently disappear due to a bug.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 5, 2019

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

RatHat posted:

At least there aren’t any Roaming Pokémon anymore, those were such an awful mechanic. Game Freak was even dickish enough to give the beast trio Roar.

EDIT: As a bonus, in FR/LG if one of the beast trio used Roar they would permanently disappear due to a bug.

As another bonus, roaming Pokemon in Ruby, Sapphire, Fire Red and Leaf Green also had a bug where their IVs would low (HP is unaffected, but attack would be a max of 7 while everything else is 0). So they weren't even worth using from those games.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

all monsters are worth using in my opinion, unless they're one of the ones i've shunned

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
It dawned on me tonight that I have Y and a second DS so I can finally use Machamp. He is cool and my friend, and surprisingly tanky.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

I actually think the first generation games had the best implementation of catching mechanics, if you excuse them being made entirely of quirks and bugs due to the games being written in LR35902 assembly by amateurs. You didn't need to try and whittle anything down to 1 HP - getting a Pokemon down to one third of its max HP got you the maximum possible benefit. Gen 2 completely revised the mechanics of capturing a Pokemon to make what they did more accurately match what people expected. (The same thing happened with Shedinja - in Gen 3 it just required a free space in the party, but enough people thought you also needed a Poke Ball in your bag that in Gen 4 they made it that way.)

A catch rate of 3 was and is a mistake. (It seems to be related to the catch multiplier of Poke Balls - 3 is the lowest catch rate where a ball with a multiplier of 255 still catches without fail.) You could easily raise that to 15 and still have a decent challenge for catching legendaries without it being monstrous. I have a hard time justifying anything below 45 for anything that isn't a legendary.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Zore posted:

No it doesn't. When you overwrite a move it keeps whatever pp it had or lowers it to the new maximum. So if you had 15 Headbutt pp and overwrote it with Fire Blast you'd be down to 5/5 Fire Blast. If you decided to go back to Headbutt in that slot you'd only be at 5/15 Headbutt PP.

Hm, my only experience is using Psychic, switching to some other move, then switching back to Psychic when I was done and having a 10/10 Psychic. I don't remember what other move I was using, False Swipe maybe?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Oh, once you transfer a Pokemon to Gen 7 you can't send it back to Gen 6 anymore. That sucks.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Gripweed posted:

it is really annoying when you've got all your strong Pokemon for fights and then you run across a low level Pokemon you want and you have to figure out which of your Pokemon can do damage to them without one-hit KOing them

yeah why the gently caress did they get rid of level balls

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

The problem with Gen 2's catching mechanics is that no matter what you did there was, however miniscule, always a chance for the ball to not work.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It’s really dumb that they put so many hidden items underwater without letting you use the Dowsing machine.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Catching is a RNG fest and it'd be nice if it wasn't. I can think of an incredibly simple fix to it too: have something set the catch rate to 100%. It can even be a variable thing: early-game mons would just need a slight amount of damage, while Legendaries and whatnot would need red HP and paralysis or sleep. But at that point, even if you throw the most basic of Poke Ball, you get a catch, because you put the effort and that should be rewarded.

Different tiers of Poke Balls would still work the same as always and be good if you want to skip the whole process by throwing a Quick Ball turn one or whatever, but you'd have that extra step if you don't want to deal with RNG.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Not sure about Lets Go but Pokemon Go catching is much better: you can improve your chances with the circle size, the circle lock trick, throwing curveballs, and using berries and different balls, and also get better XP for throwing better. And you have to time the throws around their movements and attacks. Much more engaging than spore+false swipe+pray.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
idea from a dream: Army-type Pokemon

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

I can think of an incredibly simple fix to it too: have something set the catch rate to 100%. It can even be a variable thing: early-game mons would just need a slight amount of damage,

SuMo does this exact thing I believe on route 1?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Farecoal posted:

so beta Octillery

RME posted:

SM does this exact thing I believe on route 1?

Yeah, both gens VI and VII do.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

RME posted:

SuMo does this exact thing I believe on route 1?

less laughter posted:

Yeah, both gens VI and VII do.

The point of the suggestion was that in every encounter you can, somehow, after an appropriate amount of effort, raise the catch chance to 100%, to remove the unfun endgame of throwing balls and praying.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Farecoal posted:

Would Blastoise be water/army?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Alxprit posted:

The problem with Gen 2's catching mechanics is that no matter what you did there was, however miniscule, always a chance for the ball to not work.

Or the fact Apricorn Balls either don't work, or worse, outright do the opposite of their intended effect. Like Love Balls that work best against the same gender or Moon Balls that improve catch rates against pokemon that evolve using burn heal.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Entropist posted:

Not sure about Lets Go but Pokemon Go catching is much better: you can improve your chances with the circle size, the circle lock trick, throwing curveballs, and using berries and different balls, and also get better XP for throwing better. And you have to time the throws around their movements and attacks. Much more engaging than spore+false swipe+pray.

Let's Go essentially does the same thing as GO, but without curveballs. But using the joycons in docked mode is not great, and undocked it's just point and click.

galagazombie posted:

Or the fact Apricorn Balls either don't work, or worse, outright do the opposite of their intended effect. Like Love Balls that work best against the same gender or Moon Balls that improve catch rates against pokemon that evolve using burn heal.

Imo, they should really let you switch pokeballs after catching so we can avoid dumb things like that, but still use the few good pokeballs to catch with.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

AlphaKretin posted:

The point of the suggestion was that in every encounter you can, somehow, after an appropriate amount of effort, raise the catch chance to 100%, to remove the unfun endgame of throwing balls and praying.

Yeah, exactly. Making it a fixed chance at all times removes any incentive to actually battle, but as it is right now it's too RNG-dependent and adds nothing but tedium and annoyance. I feel my idea would be a perfect fix for both sides: it still keeps actual gameplay while removing that annoying random chance.

Go catching is by no means good. It's as luck dependent as the main games are, only with repetitive attempts at gameplay instead of clicking two buttons. You can do little to nothing to improve your chances, much less make certain a catch will succeed, and at any point your target may just decide it doesn't feel like it and run away or become invincible.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Nasgate posted:

Imo, they should really let you switch pokeballs after catching so we can avoid dumb things like that, but still use the few good pokeballs to catch with.

You can inherit Pokeballs from parents when breeding now, so that's close enough.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Quick Balls and Time Balls

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

RatHat posted:

You can inherit Pokeballs from parents when breeding now, so that's close enough.

If I catch a Pokemon I like I don't want to spend however long it takes at that point in the game to breed a ball onto it. Not to mention all the groups like genderless or gift-only's that can't get bred balls on them.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

What would be nice is if you can manually choose the ball a newborn pokemon goes into, provided you have one in your inventory

Give the parents Love and Heal Balls, then give their child a Dusk Ball because they're a moody edgelord

Also, give pokemon unique interaction animations based on their Nature/Characteristic you cowards

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

Go catching is by no means good. It's as luck dependent as the main games are, only with repetitive attempts at gameplay instead of clicking two buttons. You can do little to nothing to improve your chances, much less make certain a catch will succeed, and at any point your target may just decide it doesn't feel like it and run away or become invincible.

Uhhhh. Great catches, combined catches, berries, in addition to better balls. All of which can have huge effects on catch rate and can nearly guarantee a catch when combining two, let alone 3.

Not you specifically, but I'm convinced most people that hate on Let's Go rolled their eyes into the back of their heads whenever berries were introduced. They stop Pokemon from moving/attacking, increase capture rate, and prevent fleeing.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The catching mechanic in Let's PoGo is pretty much the same as the Safari Zone

You either catch them, stall them, or they run away because they remembered they had to be anywhere else

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
My big issue with the catching in Let’s Go is that they made the berries absurdly uncommon for some reason, and other than hitting a good or excellent there’s no other way to increase the odds of catching. Even that barely feels like it’s helping at times.

I don’t find catching in the main series games particularly fun either, but at least I feel like I have more control over it with weakening and status effects.

If they’d added even just the curveballs and permanent catch bonuses for catching X amount of a type from Go, I think that would have made a big difference. That being said, Pokémon spawning on the overworld is amazing and I really hope that eventually carries over to Gen 9 or Gen 4 remakes or something.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
The best way to revise moves and add depth would probably be something like six moves but with a cool down timer on a move post-use. I'm thinking particularly of the card game BattleCON, where you assemble moves on the fly with cards from your hand and the used cards go in to a cool down cycle to prevent spamming of the highest damage and speed options. Board and card games about 1v1 combat like BattleCON and Yomi and many others offer a wealth of ideas on how Pokémon could improve.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I'm playing HG and trying to beat the Kimono Girls, but my Pokemon are a bit under-leveled. Are there any place with wild Pokemon in Johto that are about lvl 35?

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Haha, good joke

Mount Silver?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I don't mind the traditional catching mechanics but for gently caress's sake give me a Move Reminder that takes an easier to farm currency than Heart Scales.

Preferably one that just takes, y'know, money and doesn't require going on a wild Luvdisc hunt.

Farecoal posted:

I'm playing HG and trying to beat the Kimono Girls, but my Pokemon are a bit under-leveled. Are there any place with wild Pokemon in Johto that are about lvl 35?

I'm so sorry.

The level curve in Gen II is hosed and they didn't fix it for the remakes. They're arguably the worst games in the series as far as grinding goes.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Vandar posted:

I don't mind the traditional catching mechanics but for gently caress's sake give me a Move Reminder that takes an easier to farm currency than Heart Scales.

Preferably one that just takes, y'know, money and doesn't require going on a wild Luvdisc hunt.

I'm so sorry.

The level curve in Gen II is hosed and they didn't fix it for the remakes. They're arguably the worst games in the series as far as grinding goes.

jesus. i might just cheat me some rare candies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Farecoal posted:

jesus. i might just cheat me some rare candies

To give you an idea of how bad it is, the Pokemon in Victory Road cap out at level 33.