Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Glad she's doing better! Those pics are tough to look at :smith:

Just curious how much did all this emergency care cost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Abby update

Also I think there's been some improvement with Dasuquin, but she still struggles a bit to lay down at times. I'm holding off on an xray for now.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

I have been wondering how sweetie Abby is but a little afraid to ask for an update. I’m glad she has improved a little bit!

Meanwhile poor Josie’s nails have not regrown at all in 6 months. The vet is baffled. She is getting me some referrals.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

actionjackson posted:

Glad she's doing better! Those pics are tough to look at :smith:

Just curious how much did all this emergency care cost?
emergency call out fee was £150, and then idk how much the treatments were on top because we only paid the excess on our insurance

the two days of IV were about £90 and £60, the former more expensive because it included blood tests. so yeah it could have been a lot worse.

Also update: she’s been actually hungry all day, lively on walks, even played with her favourite toy for a second, AND we finally got a real nice solid poop out of her this evening :D

She looks hilarious now. She had a lump removed from her head a couple of weeks ago so she has half her face buzzed. She has a patch on her neck buzzed from when they took blood tests. Her front left shin is buzzed from her anaesthetic for the lump removal. Her front right shin is buzzed from the IV. She’s a wee Frankenbeast.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

The idea of Carrie poo is horrifying. Glad she's doing better.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Tess passed away last night. She had been sick for a long time, and it finally got to be too much for her.

She contracted valley fever when we first got her, in October 2012. She had a cough and some weakness. She went on anti-fungal medication and got better. Last year, around April, it came back. This time, the infection was in her brain. It was scary, but more anti-fungals, and some steroids to control the swelling, and she was back to herself in a couple weeks.

In November, she had another recurrence. This time it was in her spine. The swelling caused her to lose motor control in her back legs. We tried several anti-fungal treatments, and got the valley fever under control, but her vet said that the nerve damage was likely permanent.

Despite all of that, the past two weeks had actually been very good. She seemed happy. She was wiggling and eating, and letting us know her opinions on everything.

Yesterday, she vomited after breakfast. Dogs barf sometimes, no cause for alarm on its own. She also had some diarrhea. We figured she had an upset stomach. We planned for bland meals and to keep an eye on her. Then, about as I was leaving work, Genovera let me know Tess had bloody diarrhea. Genovera took her to the emergency vet, and I met them there from work.
By the time I arrived, the vets were performing CPR. We told them that they could stop. Tess had fought hard for five months, and it was time for her to rest.

It's gonna be a lot of pictures from here on.

I decided to get a greyhound from reading the old archived thread her on SA, and I am so glad that I did. Thank you everyone, for sharing your weird dogs with us in the good and bad times. Tess was a good dog, a good friend, and we'll miss her a lot.

I wouldn't normally post a picture of myself, but I'm gonna make an exception this time. Of all of the pictures we have, this one is my favorite.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

God loving damnit

I’m so sorry, Tess seemed like the sweetest pupper

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I am so sorry about Tess!!!

I'm sure she appreciated everything you did for her, and that you gave her the best life possible.

Great pictures btw!

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tess baby :sigh: that sounds like it was a rough way to go.

I’m so sorry. I’m glad you gave her such a good life full of love and hot dogs. I know you must have cherished every fart.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that! Tess seemed like such a good doggo and companion, from your posts :(

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Thank you so much for sharing Tess with us! She's such a gorgeous girl and looks like such a diva in all her pictures. :kimchi:

If you want, I'd love to hear more stories about her.

Regardless, she seems a drat Fine Dog and she was lucky to have you for as long as she did. I'm incredibly sorry for your loss.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

I love you Tess

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

a slime posted:

Abby likes to lord over her treasures like a tiny dragon

Wowie Abby has lived with me for two whole years and she is the love of my life.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

excuse me there can only be one Abby :colbert:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

So sorry to hear about Tess, our thoughts are with you. Some of my favorite pics in this thread are Tess and Casey getting the birthday burgers. A good girl for sure, echoing the thanks for sharing her with us. Hugs for you both.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
Reading your post about Tess made me tear up. You have my heartfelt goon-dolences. I will echo that while this thread has a few Tess stories and pics, if you wanted to share your favorite ones I'd love to hear them.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 13, 2019

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

I'm really sorry to hear about Tess. She was lucky to have you, and you were lucky to have her for the time that you did. Please post more photos and stories, she looks like an excellent noodle dog.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

So a lot of retired racers take a little time to grow into being house dogs. Sometime in the first year, you look back and you realize that your dog came out of its shell. For Tess it was a pretty sudden change.

When we first got her in October, she was skittish, shy, and quiet. The valley fever made her lethargic. We treated the valley fever, and she got her energy back, but she still didn't know how to be a house dog. That lasted until the summer.

The summer after we got Tess, a monsoon knocked a tree onto our apartment. Luckily, I had the number for someone from the rescue, who got me in contact with someone who did boarding. The boarder was a huge help. She took care of the dogs for a few days while we moved to a new unit.

When we went to pick up the dogs, the boarder mentioned that Tess was very talkative. I didn't know what she meant, since Tess had always been quiet before, but I was happy to have my dogs back, so I didn't think too much about it. When we got home, it turned out that everything finally clicked for Tess, and she had figured how how to be a house dog. The boarder had several other dogs, so maybe she finally had an example to work off of.

The biggest change was that Tess found her voice. She had a lovely voice, and she had a lot to say.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrIdpR3t_wQ

But also meant that she figured out how to whine. And she whined whenever she felt like she was being ignored. She would just lie in the other room and pout. I would remind her that the door was open, and she would come wiggling out to get pets.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I would listen to many TessTalks :kimchi:

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Tess was always a little clumsy when she tried to scratch behind her ear with her back foot. Sometimes I'd see her trying and go help her out, and she quickly learned to beg for scritches by staring at me, whining, and making a few halfhearted attempts herself.
https://i.imgur.com/el0u9CT.mp4

One time I caught a video of her actually scratching behind her ear successfully! Well, mostly...
https://i.imgur.com/n7ebE70.mp4

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Genovera posted:

Tess was always a little clumsy when she tried to scratch behind her ear with her back foot. Sometimes I'd see her trying and go help her out, and she quickly learned to beg for scritches by staring at me, whining, and making a few halfhearted attempts herself.

I love these! :D First one's like "your hand needs to scratch here! (points)" while in the second one Tess has discovered how tasty her paw is. (Luckily she left it intact!)

Taz hasn't done anything like that, although he does often try to get me to give him belly-rubs and the like. If I don't oblige after he twists onto his side/back and looks expectantly at me while we're on the couch, he'll generally get restless and make little moans, and shuffle on the spot/fidget...then if that doesn't work, he simply starts poking my arm/elbow (and neck, if he can reach it) until I give him the rub he desires

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bonnie’s routine for belly rubs is: moan, boop human with nose, bat human with paw, wriggle on back and snap at the air

Long doggos are weird

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Genovera posted:

This is the best thing I've seen all day. I'm amazed by how similar Gello acts to Tess. She's also got the really deep bark and bad ear-scratching mojo going on. She does get frustrated when we try to help since apparently, we're doing it wrong.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Hah! I too take pitty on my long dogs and scratch their itches when I see them flailing oversized legs in the air a foot away from their bodies.

They mostly seem to enjoy it although still kinda make that "what is happening" face.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So, asking a few questions for the benefit of family members who barely know what the internet is, and this thread seems to be a decent source of info on greyhound ownership that's not generic stuff from websites.

My grandparents' current dog is on her last legs, and my grandparents are looking at getting a new dog after their current one passes. They overheard me talking about this thread at some point, my expressing surprise that retired racing greyhounds are surprisingly good pets, and they're interested in the idea but have a few questions before they start talking to an adoption agency.

1. They know some (many?) greyhounds have serious prey drive issues, but there's a local dog park that has a fenced off area specifically for big dogs to run around in. They say they mostly see grown retrievers, german shepherds, and the like there. Is this appropriate for a greyhound? My grandparents have a big yard, but it's not fenced in and a lot of neighborhood dogs come by.

2. Related, how much exercise do they typically need/want? My grandparents are retired, but my grandfather especially loves dogs as a good reason to get out and walking around the neighborhood a bunch. Is this practical for greyhounds?

3. How do greyhounds typically do with other dogs around their size? My grandparents love to host our extended family for events and holidays, and my relatives typically bring their dogs with them - all of them decently large, the smallest is a bog standard lab.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I would never let a greyhound off leash in an unfenced area. Dog park should be fine.

Greyhounds require very little exercise and mainly just sleep all day. Walks are fine but they don't need particularly long ones. Mine will tire out after a mile if we jog.

Mine generally has no issue with big dogs. He also doesn't really play with other dogs except for the occasional chasing. At the park he's usually awkwardly hanging out in the periphery of the other dogs and follows them around for a bit before going up to every single person to get pets.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

bamhand posted:

I would never let a greyhound off leash in an unfenced area.

Greyhounds require very little exercise and mainly just sleep all day.

Mine generally has no issue with big dogs. He also doesn't really play with other dogs except for the occasional chasing. At the park he's usually awkwardly hanging out in the periphery of the other dogs and follows them around for a bit before going up to every single person to get pets.

That matches what I knew, thanks.

I think my grandparents don't intend to let a greyhound off leash in an unfenced area, I know that's specifically why they were looking at the local (fenced in) dog park.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Cythereal posted:

So, asking a few questions for the benefit of family members who barely know what the internet is, and this thread seems to be a decent source of info on greyhound ownership that's not generic stuff from websites.

My grandparents' current dog is on her last legs, and my grandparents are looking at getting a new dog after their current one passes. They overheard me talking about this thread at some point, my expressing surprise that retired racing greyhounds are surprisingly good pets, and they're interested in the idea but have a few questions before they start talking to an adoption agency.

1. They know some (many?) greyhounds have serious prey drive issues, but there's a local dog park that has a fenced off area specifically for big dogs to run around in. They say they mostly see grown retrievers, german shepherds, and the like there. Is this appropriate for a greyhound? My grandparents have a big yard, but it's not fenced in and a lot of neighborhood dogs come by.

2. Related, how much exercise do they typically need/want? My grandparents are retired, but my grandfather especially loves dogs as a good reason to get out and walking around the neighborhood a bunch. Is this practical for greyhounds?

3. How do greyhounds typically do with other dogs around their size? My grandparents love to host our extended family for events and holidays, and my relatives typically bring their dogs with them - all of them decently large, the smallest is a bog standard lab.

The prey drive should only be for something terrier sized or smaller, and only if it acts like prey (fleeing or startling). Even then there's no guarantee; Spartacus mostly ignores squirrels on walks, ignores our cat, and is far more interested in yelling at other dogs.

Energy level, they're great for occasional walks but otherwise are very lazy. Again Spartacus is a bit of a weirdo in that my spouse takes him on multi-mike runs, but that's both an anomaly and also not at all required. A daily 10-15 minute walk is usually enough and they'll spend the rest of the time zonked out.

How they interact with other dogs comes down to personality. At the dog park, Sparty kind of runs around if there's a big chase going on, but otherwise mostly ignores the other dogs. When new dogs come to visit the house, he has a tendency to leer awkwardly from the stairwell like a goon. As he gets comfortable he goes back to ignoring them and lounging on his chair. He did play with my friend's golden puppy a little the second time she came over. (The first time he did his goon wallflower thing). He's fine with our other dog, playing and rough housing with her and they get along great. More often, it's other breeds that are weirded out by greyhounds' weird proportions and aren't sure if they're dogs or aliens.

The adoption agency will work to get a good match for them regardless. They'll test the dogs for all kinds of temperament properties and make sure the dog matches their lifestyle.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

DarkHorse posted:

The adoption agency will work to get a good match for them regardless. They'll test the dogs for all kinds of temperament properties and make sure the dog matches their lifestyle.

This is the key. Your grandparents should talk to the rescue group and describe their lifestyle and desired activities(like the dog park) and a good rescue group will work with them to get a dog that matches their needs. Good luck!

edit: to avoid double post. Those pics of Tess are great! Thanks for sharing

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

spoon daddy posted:

This is the key. Your grandparents should talk to the rescue group and describe their lifestyle and desired activities(like the dog park) and a good rescue group will work with them to get a dog that matches their needs. Good luck!

Alrighty, thanks goons. Just wanted to check with some folks used to owning greyhounds. :)

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Most greyhounds are much more interested in hanging out with people and getting pets than with other dogs.

If your grandad wants to do lots of walking, that is great too. Greys seem to do well on a wide range of activity, as long as it’s consistent. Union would get 20 minute walks on weekdays but on weekends we would be out for up to 3 hours in the local nature reserve park.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

skoolmunkee posted:

Most greyhounds are much more interested in hanging out with people and getting pets than with other dogs.

If your grandad wants to do lots of walking, that is great too. Greys seem to do well on a wide range of activity, as long as it’s consistent. Union would get 20 minute walks on weekdays but on weekends we would be out for up to 3 hours in the local nature reserve park.

That's fair, I think the thing with other dogs is my grandparents being used to dogs who want more consistent exercise and having an idea of greyhounds as super high energy, which is why they asked me about the dog park. And I think they want to make sure the greyhound would be okay with other dogs regularly visiting the house for family stuff - they've almost always had golden retrievers for as long as I've been alive, and those of course are super social dogs.

I'll pass all this along and tell them the adoption agency should match them with a dog that's right for them. They've always gotten dogs as puppies as far as I know, but my grandparents straight up told the family they don't want to put up with the puppy phase again, and they've never done adoption of a grown dog before.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Tennyson is sleeping in my office right now, face down in his bed, which Casey did all the time. A couple days ago I looked through my photos of both of them and found some similar ones, and this has reminded me to post them:

I'm not sure if we ever mentioned, but they're actually first cousins (one shared grandsire).

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
God I love longdogs :allears: yours are very cute

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

We trained our goofy-rear end longdog to sit:

"I don't know how pillows work"

"I smell peanut butter but I don't have any peanut butter" face

And this is her "why won't you let me up on the couch" face:

xsf421 fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 26, 2019

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Abby had her yearly exam and is doing well. I am wondering if she has some kidney dysfunction as she's been drinking quite a bit more water lately. We'll see what the panel says.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Hopefully Abby is ok! :ohdear: Probiotics and a little water in the kibble seems to have settled Spartacus' stomach down so he doesn't have to pee all the time.

We've been taking Spartacus to the dog park but it's been apparently too hot and humid to do much running, just 30 seconds of a halfhearted trot and then lots of awkward standing around. Yesterday was relatively nice, so we thought he might do more.

Nope still too hot

Turn my back for one second and he finds a nice place to take a mud bath

Two-tone color scheme

He perked up after getting hosed down

Hideous

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
I tend to walk Gannon down to a nearby beach in the summer and he just lies down and soaks in the lake like that and takes a drink or two. I'd tried just giving him a hose down to cool off but he decided that the hose is evil and wants nothing to do with it.

I also tried getting him a kiddie pool to soak in for the yard but he saw me filling it so he knows it's tainted with hose water and won't go near it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Sparty is a free spirit and a special boy.

Gannon just sounds too clever for his own good.