Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Pennywise the Frown posted:

American's don't omit the "L".

Do you mean soldiering? Like being a soldier?

Soddering is how my father in law says it, unless it’s a regional thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Torquemada posted:

Soddering is how my father in law says it, unless it’s a regional thing.

That's how everyone says it.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
this derail is loving weird no one says the l.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Aliens? Hell, Lumbergh hosed her

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Biplane posted:

Aliens? Hell, Lumbergh hosed her
im gonna need you to not use any explosives or guns. yeah we're gonna have to go flamers only and do a little catch-up. mmmk? greeaat

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
From the weird magazine thread:

https://archive.org/details/Warren_Presents_Alien_Magazine_1979_c2c_Carbunkle-DREGS

https://archive.org/details/Warren_Presents_Aliens_II_The_Official_Movie_Magazine_1986

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.

I had this when I was 12 and read it until it disintegrated.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

givepatajob posted:

I had this when I was 12 and read it until it disintegrated.

There seems to be plenty on eBay if you want to relive it in physical form.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I’ve been meaning to ask, did everyone get their copy of Labyrinth? If so, what did you think of it? :ohdear:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
It was great. Really good animation, and the high-detail stills at the beginning of each issue are especially fantastic. I definitely remember reading this as a kid. The diseased alien hive stuff is really unsettling.

The way the main character (Crespi?) Is drawn, he really reminds me of some actor but I can't put my finger on who.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I remember it being decent but I was drunk when I read it. I'll have to read it again.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

i like aliem. now we've got alien vs predator :cool:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

its weird how "aliens vs predator" and its tagline have kind of entered the general vernacular as a touchstone for "dilemma where either option is catastrophic"

but the actual alien vs predator scenario theres a obvious choice to root for

Hmmm do i want the facerape body horror monsters who would kill every living thing on earth if they got loose to win?

or the honor-bound trophy hunters who stop by every now and then to kill a dozen or so macho gunhavers?

hmm...

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
arnold schwarzennegger is a treasure and ill see the human race burn before i let some fishnet wearing alien try to take him down

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

gary oldmans diary posted:

arnold schwarzennegger is a treasure and ill see the human race burn before i let some fishnet wearing alien try to take him down

I actually watched predators last night on HBO and lol.

Adrain Brody is no Arnie lol.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I want to see a live-action Spy vs. Spy film where Adrian Brody plays both roles.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Splicer posted:

Something hilarious has happened to the Alien: Colonial Marines steam page

One of those is literally just a shotgun

so what is that? Like $36? American

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

I want to see a live-action Spy vs. Spy film where Adrian Brody plays both roles.

you should watch Giallo by Dario Argento. it’s literal dogshit but it’s really really close to what you described.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

I've been reading this thread and working my way through movies 1, 2 and 3. I had seen 1 and 2 but never 3... I wish I had kept it that way.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Ghostnuke posted:

I've been reading this thread and working my way through movies 1, 2 and 3. I had seen 1 and 2 but never 3... I wish I had kept it that way.

Yeah it's something else. Once you get over the shock and rewatch it, it isn't as bad. It's good to watch the assembly cut. Way better.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

I really can't imagine ever watching this turd again.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Harsh, but fair.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ghostnuke posted:

I really can't imagine ever watching this turd again.
The assembly cut overhauls the movie and adds in like 40 minutes.

Alien3 is radically different from the movie before it, and yeah it takes the happy ending from 'Alien' and shoots it in the back of the head with a shotgun, but it's still got a lot going for it.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

What does it add? The writing is just so goddamn lazy...

Ripley seems way different for no reason.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Just finished it. Holy poo poo is it bad. Maybe I'll type up my thoughts later.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Ghostnuke posted:

Just finished it. Holy poo poo is it bad. Maybe I'll type up my thoughts later.

cannot wait to see your thoughts on Resurrection

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

cannot wait to see your thoughts on Resurrection

What is Resurrection? Indie Christian rock band??

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ghostnuke posted:

What does it add? The writing is just so goddamn lazy...

Ripley seems way different for no reason.

Well I mean, she just woke up to all of her friends being dead and she's trapped on a prison planet with an Alien running around and she's got no weapons.

The assembly cut adds in character bits for most of the generic nameless bald guys, including a subplot where they literally successfully capture the Alien and one of the psychotic prisoners lets it go free because he's a crazy person. It also has an alternate opening (which I don't prefer) and an alternate ending (which I prefer parts of), the Alien comes out of a different host (an ox instead of a dog), and a bunch of other little things.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Warbadger posted:

What is Resurrection? Indie Christian rock band??

Its the Joss Whedon Alien movie. Got Sigourney Weaver and Ron Pearlman. I think it's ok

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Resurrection is a goddamn stain on the franchise. Just find like, a supercut of all the scenes Brad Dourif is in and just watch that instead.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
The human alien hybrid got a raw deal in Resurrection. Dude didn’t ask to be born, and was dealt a bad hand.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF44YvDVP8Y

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Kuato posted:

The human alien hybrid got a raw deal in Resurrection. Dude didn’t ask to be born, and was dealt a bad hand.

same

Actually now that you mention it, some of those scenes between the hybrid and Ripley are pretty hard to watch, and not because it's a horrifying grotesque abomination, because some of the 'emoting' was done well.

... Also because it's a horrifying grotesque abomination. And the scene with all the failed hybrids is pretty on-the-mark as far as franchise body horror goes.

OK, Resurrection was alright. I'll leave the room for some of that atrocious CG though. Even 3's graphics were more tasteful than that poo poo.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah, Resurrection was genuinely horrifying. Though I haven't seen it since it came out... over twenty years ago?!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Aliens 4 is Alien vs Firefly

It's like they watched Aliens for character direction but stopped taking notes after Hudson says "Sharp sticks".

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I heard there's a bit with a powerloader that people like, let's do that but instead of a powerloader it's a wheelchair and instead of Ripley it's the comic relief dwarf and instead of fighting a giant alien at the climax of the film it's several minutes of assembling a gun from wheelchair parts.

Also everyone is the comic relief.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:30 on May 5, 2019

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
"OK so there's a bit where they're underground and they've had their guns taken away but someone smuggled in some ammo and they shoot the walls and-"

"...and the bullets ricochet all over the place and kill all the aliens I love it!"

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
"Buddy doesn't see it but there's an alien behind him, and it does the head-biting thing to him... BUT we want to have like a comedic relief aspect to this scene because the character is kind of a dunderhead so he's got time to use his hand to examine the gaping wound in the back of his skull before he makes a silly face and expires, falling comedically into the abyss."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Splicer posted:

"OK so there's a bit where they're underground and they've had their guns taken away but someone smuggled in some ammo and they shoot the walls and-"

"...and the bullets ricochet all over the place and kill all the aliens I love it!"

This describes Warframe when using Mesa. "No guns allowed!" *uses loophole character with guns as an ability*