Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I vaguely recall a real time game that involved fantasy characters in a mall, but don't remember the name. Did that game end up being good? I don't really hear it much in discussions here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Jedit posted:

Yamatai is good.

But is it “must own it before it’s gone” good? Because otherwise I think the sentiment stands: there’s a reason they aren’t being reprinted.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

GrandpaPants posted:

I vaguely recall a real time game that involved fantasy characters in a mall, but don't remember the name. Did that game end up being good? I don't really hear it much in discussions here.

It was probably Magic Maze. It got a decent reception overall, not sure what the hivemind thinks of it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

GrandpaPants posted:

That's Magic Maze, probably?

And I don't know about "must own it" good, but Yamatai is at least worth playing. I think DoW wanted it to be another Five Tribes and we're disappointed.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It was probably Magic Maze. It got a decent reception overall, not sure what the hivemind thinks of it.

It's good, fairly light but still can be difficult until you get the hang of it. There's some good ramping up to the challenge as well, by adding one or two things each game. My group was really into it early on but has kind of cooled on it since, I think because once you've beaten it with all the obstacles it feels like you're just done. I haven't gotten to use the expansion much though, so maybe that'll reinvigorate it. Worth noting: at some player counts, some players will end up with boring actions, but once you get to the point where you're passing actions it's less of a big deal. Also make sure everyone is on board with slamming the reminder pawn, or else explicitly tell them not to - because it can get REALLY annoying.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Prairie Bus posted:

Anyone have experience with Pax Renaissance? Mark Bigney’s recent talk about it has me interested, but I’d love to hear some other thoughts before I drop $90 on it on Amazon.

Id get pax Pamir 2.0

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

GrandpaPants posted:

Yep, it's the incredibly generically named Magic Maze.

I like this Rahdo Runs Through that shows the game in action, if only because the game forbids people to talk so Rahdo finally actually plays something instead of triple guessing himself for 25 minutes.

It's frantic, interesting and a pretty unique experience that I can recommend.

Its downside is that once you've played it 3 or 4 times, you've played it. There's not much there. The expansion adds more stuff but I'm yet to play it.

I'm a mathematics teacher and found it great for situations where you can introduce new people to it regularly though.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Merauder posted:

But is it “must own it before it’s gone” good? Because otherwise I think the sentiment stands: there’s a reason they aren’t being reprinted.

If you're into mid-weight euros for two, I'd say yes. Yamatai's big mistake was claiming to be a four player game. It's an awful four player game, decent at three (as long as no one has AP), and best at two. If the game's development was solely focused around the two player game, and the game's price reflected just needing 2 players worth of fancy wooden bits, I think it would have been much better received.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Just played the opening scenario of 1st ed Claustrophobia and won as the evil, self righteous, clearly bad guys.

It was fun! I think I got a bit lucky, but also played well, and it's definitely a quick dice romp that works really well.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

silvergoose posted:

Just played the opening scenario of 1st ed Claustrophobia and won as the evil, self righteous, clearly bad guys.

It was fun! I think I got a bit lucky, but also played well, and it's definitely a quick dice romp that works really well.

That reminds me, must sell my NIS copy.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I texted this as a joke to a friend whose board game experience, as far as I'm aware, doesn't get heavier than Ticket To Ride:

She said sincerely it looked like a lot of fun and demanded to know what it's all about, I think I may have sealed my fate because I loving suck at it. This is easily the meanest 18xx game I've played and you spend 90% of it with your companies in crippling debt, trying your damned hardest to stave off the government from just taking your poo poo. First impression I didn't quite care for how much the game front loads in the early portions where you have like 10 minor companies operating in the hopes of merging them into a major company at which point the game becomes pretty deterministic. But there were some nuanced moments such as when I managed to hold a minor until the 8 trains appeared resulting in a massive payout that helped close the gap but we all lost pretty handily to the 18xx guru who teaches us these games and I'm pretty sure is either clearclaw or his estranged brother.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
The last time we played ‘61 it took nine hours. In that amount of time I’m playing ‘22, ‘61 was not worth it.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
61 is like a 3 to 4 hour game when my group plays, and it's generally considered pretty friendly.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

taser rates posted:

61 is like a 3 to 4 hour game when my group plays, and it's generally considered pretty friendly.

I don't know how it's possible to be friendly what with instant rusts usually leading to nationalization early game which stunts the growth of major companies late game.

We ended up dumping like 12 loans on Russia so the game stalled majorly when nobody could buy a 6 and Russia needed at least 2 more rounds to get the money to buy it.

18xx games have interesting pacing and while I'm just going by first impressions this feels like it could suffer the most from massive fluctuations depending on where the AI is late game.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Wait they did an 18xx that goes through the Russian Revolution? How does that work?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I don't know '61 but 1880 China freezes stock prices for a phase because all stockbrokers get re-educated in the cultural revolution.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

Wait they did an 18xx that goes through the Russian Revolution? How does that work?

At the start there are a bunch of minor companies, which are basically private companies wholly owned by the players which pay a 50/50 split on runs. Eventually you can merge minors or grow them to become a major company which is your standard publicly traded company. There are very few major cities and trains are expensive, so money is super tight. You can take out loans if you have to buy a train if the company can't afford it but there's a hard limit and interest accrues every operating round. In this game you can buy trains from any companies you own for any amount of money and "sharing" trains often becomes necessary because the economy sucks.

When the 4 trains come out so does the Russian government. If any company loses its last train due to rust (rust is instant in this game) or can't pay interest or can't buy a train, it's immediately nationalized by the government which absorbs any money, loans, and trains it had while giving a payout to the owner of the company. The government acts as a timer: it runs all of its trains for the most profitable route, after paying any loans it buys as many trains as it can afford until game end is triggered. There isn't a lot of blocking in the game or route fuckery, and putting down a token is absurdly expensive (something like $40 per hex from another token).

I was impressed that it's pretty accurate to history. There's a pre-built route from Moscow to St. Petersberg representing early construction efforts in the 40s and 50s, and you get a lot of money if you build a path from Moscow to Siberia. Historically until the 1880s private companies dominated but the market grew too large for them and they couldn't pay their debts which naturally happens in this game because there's like 4 trains per phase spread out over like 12 minor companies and I think 6 major companies. The game is very strategic in the early game where you're incentivized to dump flailing companies on the government for a nice payout, but the game becomes really deterministic in the long run once the major companies come out and I don't really like playing with in-game AIs which the government pushes towards endgame.

e: It's insane to me how thematic 18xx games are despite being built on a familiar set of rules. I think a lot of designers get hung up on chrome to evoke a theme but 18xx evokes entirely different economic eras and philosophies simply by changing the map and how you play with your money.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 4, 2019

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
The 18xx talk reminded me: I recently played Empire Builder (aka the crayon train track game). It was very interesting. Fairly luck based insofar as you are completely beholden to your cards. The game also has many artifacts from the 80s of losing turns, which are bummers. Also, it takes freaking forever, though we were playing with the full six, and BGG seems to suggest 3. Still, that freedom to do basically whatever you want is really something. I doubt I would play again due to the time investment, but I can see why some people really like it.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

al-azad posted:

I don't know how it's possible to be friendly what with instant rusts usually leading to nationalization early game which stunts the growth of major companies late game.

A lot of strategies can bank on having your companies get nationalized at the right time since you get compensated for most of the value back. Also all the trains are good, there aren't any bad ones, so you're aiming to run train right pretty much all the time if you can. 61 is largely just a game of timing your mergers correctly, the game is pretty boring once the majors come out.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I have a chance to pick up some games in trade at a local game store are any of the below worth picking up, my normal count is two maybe four.

Warhammer Quest the card game
Mombasa
Deus
Imhotep
Dice Forge
Fresco
Mage Knight - I love solo games but after all I have heard I wonder if this would ever make it to the table.
The lost expedition
Sword and Sorcery
BattleCON: Devastation of Indines (2013), bundled with some expansion material
Dinosaur Island

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Ropes4u posted:

I have a chance to pick up some games in trade at a local game store are any of the below worth picking up, my normal count is two maybe four.

Mombasa
Deus
Imhotep
Dice Forge
Fresco
Mage Knight - I love solo games but after all I have heard I wonder if this would ever make it to the table.
The lost expedition
Sword and Sorcery
Dinosaur Island

The Lost Expedition: a good light game that only really works at 1-3 players. It's an interesting little race and resource management game, but it can grow stale without the expansion.

Imhotep: an good interactive euro that can be played in under an hour. It's not the most thematic game, but it is cool to see pyramids physically rise as you put cubes on them.

Fresco: like Scoville, make sure your players understand color mixing. This game can take forever if people constantly need to look up the recipe for orange (red + yellow, duh).

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

BattleCon and mage Knight

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ropes4u posted:

Mombasa
Deus
Imhotep
Dice Forge
Fresco
The lost expedition
Sword and Sorcery
Dinosaur Island

Fresco is good. Mixing recipes are printed inside the player screens so nobody should have any excuse for needing the rulebook.

Deus is not awful. Mombasa I like but it tries a bit too hard to say it's not about colonialism when it is.

I keep hearing about Imhotep. I like Barenpark and Gingerbread House, how is this one?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

golden bubble posted:

The Lost Expedition: a good light game that only really works at 1-3 players. It's an interesting little race and resource management game, but it can grow stale without the expansion.

Imhotep: an good interactive euro that can be played in under an hour. It's not the most thematic game, but it is cool to see pyramids physically rise as you put cubes on them.

Fresco: like Scoville, make sure your players understand color mixing. This game can take forever if people constantly need to look up the recipe for orange (red + yellow, duh).

Thank you for the help.

Chill la Chill posted:

BattleCon and mage Knight

I worry Mage Knight will sit on the shelf and never get played, but it has been on and off my list a hundred times.

Jedit posted:

Fresco is good. Mixing recipes are printed inside the player screens so nobody should have any excuse for needing the rulebook.

Deus is not awful. Mombasa I like but it tries a bit too hard to say it's not about colonialism when it is.

I keep hearing about Imhotep. I like Barenpark and Gingerbread House, how is this one?

Thank you for the input I will see what happens.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Battlecon is an incredible game for two players to dig into, if the concept grabs you.

Mage Knight is still best in class and unique but it is getting an app sometime in the future and may be worth holding out on if you see something else worth grabbing and worry about not getting it played.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Battlecon is an incredible game for two players to dig into, if the concept grabs you.

Mage Knight is still best in class and unique but it is getting an app sometime in the future and may be worth holding out on if you see something else worth grabbing and worry about not getting it played.

An app would be perfect. With my wife and I having ran netrunner to the end I will try to grab Battlecon.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Ropes4u posted:

An app would be perfect. With my wife and I having ran netrunner to the end I will try to grab Battlecon.

The first fan-run NISEI set of Netrunner cards, Downfall, is super good in case you weren’t aware.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

food court bailiff posted:

The first fan-run NISEI set of Netrunner cards, Downfall, is super good in case you weren’t aware.

I keep meaning to take a look at those.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Pulled out the Forgotten Folk expansion to Caverna again. Humans, silicoids, and me as the pale ones, feat. Dark Elf buildings. Completely different game, completely different set of challenges. ...unfortunately our silicoid player decided to grab the office and start competing with me for cave overhangs, giving the human unabated access to the outside. I got a pretty respectable 95, and if I'd sniped the food chamber out from under them they would have won by about 5 or 6 points instead of 30, but either way I didn't think I could stop them at that point.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mage Knight is only a solo game so it should be easy to get to the table.

What's that? It says 1-4 on the side of the box? Yeah, that's a typo.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Never really posted in the trad games subforum. I don't really play a lot of board games, but I really got into Mansions of Madness recently. Once I had a full set of all expansions for this game, I wanted to build something to hold it all. I wanted something that fit with the theme of the game though, so I set out building a full set of storage boxes that would fit inside a themed vintage trunk.

The trunk is a faux vintage trunk off of Amazon. All the travel stickers were modified versions of existing antique travel stickers from different eras, altered in photoshop. The inner trays and dividers are all foamcore. There's even room for more expansions, as there's a section under the tile holder that I'm just using to hold the unused bases and monster tiles.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
Amazing work. Started googling introductory tips to formcore as now I want to do more of this myself for my favourite games!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
If you're planning to do a lot of foamcore work, you can certainly do well with a straight edge and boxcutter, but one thing that saved me a ton of time and headaches were the Foamwerks tools by Logan. Specifically the Straight Cutter and Channel Rail. The cutter fits into a groove on the channel rail, so it makes perfectly straight cuts, and only needs one pass. It often takes more than a single pass with a boxcutter, and straight cuts are down to your ability to get the boxcutter to follow the edge of a ruler perfectly. I probably did half the project with a boxcutter and ruler before the Foamwerks tools arrived, but once they arrived I flew through the rest of the work.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

Mage Knight is still best in class...

I don't know how anyone can believe this in a world where Gloomhaven exists.

Also, Imhotep is a great light half hour game that is equal parts maximizing your points and screwing people out of theirs.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

CaptainRightful posted:

Also, Imhotep is a great light half hour game that is equal parts maximizing your points and screwing people out of theirs.

Aside from the running time, the same can be said of Fresco, so add me to the votes for those two. They're both about struggling to make your plans actually work, but go about it in wildly different ways, so you can absolutely own both of them.

They also both go heavy on the modular expansions.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Never really posted in the trad games subforum. I don't really play a lot of board games, but I really got into Mansions of Madness recently. Once I had a full set of all expansions for this game, I wanted to build something to hold it all. I wanted something that fit with the theme of the game though, so I set out building a full set of storage boxes that would fit inside a themed vintage trunk.

The trunk is a faux vintage trunk off of Amazon. All the travel stickers were modified versions of existing antique travel stickers from different eras, altered in photoshop. The inner trays and dividers are all foamcore. There's even room for more expansions, as there's a section under the tile holder that I'm just using to hold the unused bases and monster tiles.

Beautiful box. Are all those unpainted minis twitching your brush finger, though?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

CaptainRightful posted:

I don't know how anyone can believe this in a world where Gloomhaven exists.

Totally different games aside from similar card play. Single play session vs long campaign for one, and variable overland exploration vs tactical static setup scenario puzzles as well.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Beffer posted:

Beautiful box. Are all those unpainted minis twitching your brush finger, though?

Definitely! I've already swapped out the ungainly square bases for some nice clear acrylic discs. I wanted to get the storage done first too before I started painting, so finished minis are safe from scuffs.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Bottom Liner posted:

Totally different games aside from similar card play. Single play session vs long campaign for one, and variable overland exploration vs tactical static setup scenario puzzles as well.

Mage knight has input variance vs GH’s output variance. There’s a lot of stuff you can do to manage the output variance (which is good) but it’s one of the key differences I always used to describe euro vs Ameritrash.

But otherwise I think it’s fair to compare them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Heading to Philly for a bit, any open game nights or stores or anything worth checking out?