Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I like how Edgeworth is like "I've had an epiphany Wright, and I'm going to teach it to you" at the start of Justice for All's last case, and then he just spends the whole trial loving with Phoenix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

SardonicTyrant posted:

I like how Edgeworth is like "I've had an epiphany Wright, and I'm going to teach it to you" at the start of Justice for All's last case, and then he just spends the whole trial loving with Phoenix.

It’s rude to judge what foreplay works for other people.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Just finished the first game in the trilogy, The Rise from Ashes is probably the best case. Turnabout Goodbyes felt like mini Rise from the Ashes with a past case being relevant.
Way less comedy in this case during the trial but Ema(Poor mans Mia) was still funny during investigations. Also this case felt more "serious" than the others. Damon Gant and Lana Sky were both really unlikeable for different reasons.

Hopefully the 2nd game is as good, I did have to give up on some testimonies cause I couldn't figure out which evidence to present even though I knew what had happened. The last case was pretty obvious after you figure out there was no double murder after that point it felt very obvious even the switchback surprise that happens at the end wasn't that surprising from the midway point. Still great case though.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Fair warning, the third case of JFA is one of the most divisive in the entire series.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

Fair warning, the third case of JFA is one of the most divisive in the entire series.

I don't think there's anything divisive about it. I'm pretty sure everyone hates it.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
it's good though

e: definitely better than anything in the 3ds games

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

that's the fastest demonstration of something being divisive i've ever seen

while we're at it, here's my take: the first day is bad and the second day is ok. first day only consists of every character repeating their gimmick to you both in and out of court and none of the characters are good enough for that to work. You learn nothing interesting about anything until the second day where the mystery actually gets going.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
moe the clown is one of the best one-off characters in the series

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I agree but that case still sucks.

E: Though i'm not sure if that's just because he is surrounded by some of the worst characters in the series. So he just comes off a lot better.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

On the other hand, it starts the Magicians are Assholes theme of later games.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Everyone in that case except for Moe sucks. The murder is also really dumb.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Speaking of which (DGS spoilers): The fourth case (e: to be clear, of DGS) was reaaally dumb. It's like Acro's plan except it happens entirely by chance. Cases 2 and 5 had elements of this too, and it's just less satisfying to unveil a bunch of coincidences rather than some crazy plan.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 5, 2019

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Never seen a post be more wrong in my life

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I feel like 2-4 is trying to impart an important lesson about how finding the truth is more important than protecting your client or punishing the guilty, but at no other point in the series do you defend a guilty client, so it feels like the lesson's kinda forgotten since you can safely assume all of Phoenix's clients are innocent. Hell, it's almost impossible to lie and say you're innocent to Apollo and Athena with their special powers.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Well in AJ all your clients are guilty.

Just not for the crimes they're being defended for

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

somepartsareme posted:

e: definitely better than anything in the 3ds games

What in the world

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Regy Rusty posted:

What in the world

the 3ds games can be fun but they do not have good writing. the ones written by shu takumi, do have good writing. when i say "3ds games" that doesn't include dgs cause those own

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

somepartsareme posted:

the 3ds games can be fun but they do not have good writing. the ones written by shu takumi, do have good writing. when i say "3ds games" that doesn't include dgs cause those own

I disagree, SoJ stands up with any of the original trilogy.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Takumi is a good writer, but he is not the only good writer

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
i do not think takeshi yamazaki is a good writer based on his work in DD and SoJ, but that is just me

derra
Dec 29, 2012
2-3 is not great but it's better than 1-3

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

1-3's main flaw is it's too long, it's the one case that suffers most from the first game's 3 day trials. Otherwise it's still pretty good and has some great parts.

Like the Cody Hackins testimony and the reveal at the end of it is one of the series' best moments.

2-3 is only outdone by 4-3 as the worst full length case in the series.

busysignal
Nov 28, 2013

SardonicTyrant posted:

I feel like 2-4 is trying to impart an important lesson about how finding the truth is more important than protecting your client or punishing the guilty, but at no other point in the series do you defend a guilty client, so it feels like the lesson's kinda forgotten since you can safely assume all of Phoenix's clients are innocent. Hell, it's almost impossible to lie and say you're innocent to Apollo and Athena with their special powers.

In DGS, you do

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

1-3 stretches out too long but it serves Edgeworth's arc well and I think the underlying mystery is cool.

SardonicTyrant posted:

To be clear I was talking about DGS-4 rather than 2-4.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

^^ Hey that's not a good way to mark that spoiler at all!

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Cody's breakdown was a really good moment. Everything else about that case was obnoxious.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

1-3 features the exact moment Edgeworth's life goes downhill (when Oldbag testifies) and I can't hate it because of that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sal Manella.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
2-3 truly was bad, it doesn't help that there were two grown men wanting to marry a child? What was up with that.

1-3 had Sal and, honestly, he alone could ruin an entire case, but I still like it for the mystery itself and for the character progression of Edgeworrh and Maya. I had a good time when I was playing through it, especially during the court segments.

I also liked Spirit of Justice and liked the seances as a one-off mechanic for that game. I felt that one would be as good as anything in the original triology, if the other 2 games previously had constructed towards it. It does at least make me think the team has found their style and makes me hopeful for the next AA to come.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Yeah, I just played through 2-3 again, and basically every interaction with Regina is awful. Wright & Maya's writing feel really off in all of their conversations with Regina by having them constantly fall over themselves to praise her.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I'm always confused when people complain about the moe pressing gimmick. Just don't press when he's doing his goofy clown animation.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I hate 2-3, but mostly because the translation never got around to giving it a second editing pass and it’s riddled with grammar errors and typos. Every original character but Moe being awful and/or shallow doesn’t exactly help, either. Plus the other two full cases are pretty tightly linked and follow a clear arc for the main characters, while they’re just sort of there for this one. It’s the only case where Nick and Maya are investigating together, and they just sort of annoy each other.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Well in AJ all your clients are guilty.

Just not for the crimes they're being defended for

Yeah, which I think serves as a good contrast between Apollo and Phoenix. In his last game, Phoenix gets one guy off for the crimes he did commit and ends another by straight up lying to the killer and tricking him into confessing, which leads naturally into the poo poo he pulls in 4-1 to take down an admittedly very guilty man. Apollo does not sugar coat his clients’ actual guilt, but also believes in their innocence when it comes to the murder and appeals to them rather than throwing them under the bus. He’s the most idealistic of the defense attorneys, in spite of being the only one without a tragic backstory for how he became one to save someone.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Waffleman_ posted:

Sal Manella.

I thought it was so weird that he wasn't called to testify again, wasn't he an accomplice?

derra
Dec 29, 2012
None of the AJ cases actually let you have a meaningful conversation with your defendant prior to the trial starting. It felt like such a cheap way to add difficulty.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

derra posted:

None of the AJ cases actually let you have a meaningful conversation with your defendant prior to the trial starting. It felt like such a cheap way to add difficulty.

It's pretty true to the public defender experience at least.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I can't believe how bad I am at JFA now. I'm pretty sure I beat it the first time without a walkthrough but now I need a guide every so often because I can't figure out the game's logic.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

SardonicTyrant posted:

I can't believe how bad I am at JFA now. I'm pretty sure I beat it the first time without a walkthrough but now I need a guide every so often because I can't figure out the game's logic.

i was the exact opposite, the solutions were :psyduck: as hell to me a decade ago but now it's like "huh it's pretty obvious what part they want you to present evidence on"

except for anything involving victor kudo

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

2-4 could have been immediately resolved if Shelly De Killer wasn't the dumbest assassin and was the least bit suspicious about all the recording equipment and the video tape he was specifically told not to watch.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
look, he's an assassin but he has a code of honor dammit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I just finished re-beating the original trilogy, and I forgot how bad the games sometimes are about when you need to press and when you can just present the clue. I hope the rest of the games get a PC port.