Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Hask and co weigh in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ8_DRTSPak

And quite a few people in the comments still don't understand 'free speech'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

SunWolves being axed is a travesty.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

The Rabbi T. White posted:

They're playing better this year, but if it's dominated by cast-off NZ/SA/AUS players with barely any prominent Japanese players then what's the point?

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
You know you've made it as a rugby fan when arch-bellend and Billy V apologist, Stephen Jones (Times "journalist", not the ex-Wales fly-half) has blocked you on twitter for suggesting he might be wrong.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Vaders Jester posted:

You know you've made it as a rugby fan when arch-bellend and Billy V apologist, Stephen Jones (Times "journalist", not the ex-Wales fly-half) has blocked you on twitter for suggesting he might be wrong.

The fact that this man has a job as a journalist shows that this world is not a meritocracy. And he is wrong, all the time, about everything.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Yeah, basically if you want to be right about anything, just do or say the opposite of whatever he does. Honestly, it takes talent to be so wrong about literally everything all the time, he's not even as reliable as a broken clock.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
I thought it was just us Kiwis who disliked him; he makes the sports news here a couple of times a year when he bashes an All Black or the entire team. Beyond that I don't know much about his opinions.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

He's basically the Piers Morgan of rugby journalism. Says anything, no matter how nuts, to get a reaction then has a cry when people don't agree with him.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

The Rabbi T. White posted:

what was the main reason they failed, i've heard things from "Japan wasn't ready" to them not getting any buy-in from the actual Japanese domestic players who already get good money in domestic Japanese rugby

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

what was the main reason they failed, i've heard things from "Japan wasn't ready" to them not getting any buy-in from the actual Japanese domestic players who already get good money in domestic Japanese rugby

I'm guessing SANZAR were hoping for something between "basically Japan, but in a different jersey" like they get with the Jaguares basically being Argentina in a different jersey, or a Top League All Stars team. That said, they've done well building it out of the odds and sods of SANZAR teams and the occasional Top League guy.

Looking at the number of Kiwis and PI players in there, I think it has done 2 things though: prove that there probably is enough talent there to support a 6th NZ franchise at the moment, albeit one buttressed with Pasifika players, and show just how much the NZ franchises missed the boat on guys like Michael Little, Will Tupou and Hayden Parker.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

ElectroMagneticJosh posted:

I thought it was just us Kiwis who disliked him; he makes the sports news here a couple of times a year when he bashes an All Black or the entire team. Beyond that I don't know much about his opinions.

Everyone with an active brain dislikes him.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Vagabundo posted:

I'm guessing SANZAR were hoping for something between "basically Japan, but in a different jersey" like they get with the Jaguares basically being Argentina in a different jersey, or a Top League All Stars team. That said, they've done well building it out of the odds and sods of SANZAR teams and the occasional Top League guy.

Looking at the number of Kiwis and PI players in there, I think it has done 2 things though: prove that there probably is enough talent there to support a 6th NZ franchise at the moment, albeit one buttressed with Pasifika players, and show just how much the NZ franchises missed the boat on guys like Michael Little, Will Tupou and Hayden Parker.

Obviously money is a serious factor but is it worth the Pasifika nations banding together to form a SR team? I imagine it would be comprised of mainly Tongan, Fijian, and Samoan players or those with heritage to give those players quality game time against good opposition that bolsters their national sides without being hoovered up by the bigger nations?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Vaders Jester posted:

Obviously money is a serious factor but is it worth the Pasifika nations banding together to form a SR team? I imagine it would be comprised of mainly Tongan, Fijian, and Samoan players or those with heritage to give those players quality game time against good opposition that bolsters their national sides without being hoovered up by the bigger nations?

I think SR is going to sit at it's current team number for a while.
SARU is looking at the exits, god knows wtf the ARUsorry, Rugby Australia is doing and the NZRU is a hapless passenger in all this.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 26, 2019

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
is there any chance at all Pro14 pick up the sunwolves like they did Southern Kings?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

is there any chance at all Pro14 pick up the sunwolves like they did Southern Kings?

I dunno, the time difference with Japan may be a problem for that.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

comming soon: indoor five a side rugby!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/48063021

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
This must be a boom time for launching weirdly restrictive versions of sports in the UK.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Feels Villeneuve posted:

That would own, heading to Japan to see Munster.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Probably not, the time difference would be bonkers even though the travel time is relatively similar.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Lots of drama this judgement day.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

goatface posted:

Lots of drama this judgement day.

Good guys won is the best bit of drama.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

bessantj posted:

Good guys won is the best bit of drama.

Glasgow not won yet.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

HappyCamperGL posted:

Glasgow not won yet.

It would be freaky to see Glasgow/Edinburgh playing in Cardiff.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Good game. I am very happy.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Well done Treviso first Italian club to get into the Pro 14 play off.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Munster's season summed up in that first half of rugby against Treviso. Dominating possession and territory through the most simplistic, boring rugby completely lacking in any spark and invention. They can't huff and puff their way over the try line. Then the opposition with just a little bit of innovation score a try with the smallest bit of possession.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

As a Bristol fan I'm extremely happy to see Exeter getting a good pumping

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Benetton just got fuuuuuuuuuucked out of the finals by Nigel Owen's bizarro refereeing, leading to two desperate drop goal attempts to win back the lead. Rough result for them but hopefully this is the beginning of a trend for the Italian side.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Vaders Jester posted:

Benetton just got fuuuuuuuuuucked out of the finals by Nigel Owen's bizarro refereeing, leading to two desperate drop goal attempts to win back the lead. Rough result for them but hopefully this is the beginning of a trend for the Italian side.

They were terrible drop goal attempts and they butchered two tries. They could have and probably should have still won it. Good to see them at that level though, with Ian Keatley and Eli Snyman on the team next year they could have another crack.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Yeah, the missed tries came back to bite them but gently caress me, John Ryan being allowed to lift the ball out of a ruck 2m from the Munster line was awful reffing. Led to Munster getting a clearance then the penalty which put them ahead.

That said, good to see Benetton improve year after year and finally look like a serious side this year. Hope it all keeps going.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Vaders Jester posted:

Yeah, the missed tries came back to bite them but gently caress me, John Ryan being allowed to lift the ball out of a ruck 2m from the Munster line was awful reffing. Led to Munster getting a clearance then the penalty which put them ahead.

That said, good to see Benetton improve year after year and finally look like a serious side this year. Hope it all keeps going.

I thought the Ryan one was alright as the clearout ended as there were no more Treviso players engaged on their feet. Ryan then got to the ball from an onside position before Duvenage did. Stander off his feet was pretty bad though.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

:rip: Newcastle Falcons.

Should have no trouble getting promoted again next year.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Gavin Henson is opening a boozer.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Very rural.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

bessantj posted:

I thought the Ryan one was alright as the clearout ended as there were no more Treviso players engaged on their feet. Ryan then got to the ball from an onside position before Duvenage did. Stander off his feet was pretty bad though.

I thought the ball was still in the ruck as there were certainly Treviso lads still engaged though not standing, even the Muster lad (Donncha O' Callaghan?) on commentary were wondering why Nige allowed it to happen.

The Stander one was pretty poor,it's the problem with the modern ruck in a nutshell. Player off their feet, so clear out has to be mental and likely illegal just to shift them, leads to first player getting away with it.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

I drive past it every week, so expect a Trip Report!

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Scotland's RWC training squad has been announced with two slots still to be filled (one forward, one back). The 44 will eventually be cut to 31 and while some big names like Richie Gray and Duncan Weir have missed out on a spot, I'm sure Scotland's injury curse will ensure them a place in the near future. Good to see Blade Thomson getting another crack at making the squad, he was unlucky to miss out on the 6N with a bad concussion right before the tournament started.

FORWARDS (23)

John Barclay (Edinburgh) – 71 caps; Rugby World Cup 2007 and 2011
Simon Berghan (Edinburgh) – 19 caps
Jamie Bhatti (Glasgow Warriors) – 13 caps
Magnus Bradbury (Edinburgh) – 7 caps
Fraser Brown (Glasgow Warriors) – 42 caps; Rugby World Cup 2015
Allan Dell (Edinburgh) – 22 caps
Matt Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors) – 3 caps
Zander Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors) – 19 caps
Grant Gilchrist (Edinburgh) – 33 caps; Rugby World Cup 2015
Gary Graham (Newcastle Falcons) – 2 caps
Jonny Gray (Glasgow Warriors) – 51 caps; Rugby World Cup 2015
Stuart McInally (Edinburgh) – 27 caps
Willem Nel (Edinburgh) – 29 caps; Rugby World Cup 2015
Gordon Reid (London Irish) – 34 caps; Rugby World Cup 2015
Jamie Ritchie (Edinburgh) – 10 caps
Sam Skinner (Exeter Chiefs) – 5 caps
Grant Stewart (Glasgow Warriors) – uncapped
Josh Strauss (Sale Sharks) – 22 caps; Rugby World Cup 2015
Blade Thomson (Scarlets) – uncapped
Ben Toolis (Edinburgh) – 18 caps
George Turner (Glasgow Warriors) – 5 caps
Hamish Watson (Edinburgh) – 25 caps
Ryan Wilson (Glasgow Warriors) – 43 caps; Rugby World Cup 2015

BACKS (19)

Darcy Graham (Edinburgh) – 4 caps
Nick Grigg (Glasgow Warriors) – 9 caps
Chris Harris (Newcastle Falcons) – 8 caps
Adam Hastings (Glasgow Warriors) – 11 caps
Stuart Hogg (Glasgow Warriors) – 67 caps; Rugby World Cup 2015
George Horne (Glasgow Warriors) – 4 caps
Pete Horne (Glasgow Warriors) – 41 caps; Rugby World Cup 2015
Rory Hutchinson (Northampton Saints) – uncapped
Huw Jones (Glasgow Warriors) – 21 caps
Sam Johnson (Glasgow Warriors) – 4 caps
Blair Kinghorn (Edinburgh) – 11 caps
Greig Laidlaw (Clermont Auvergne) – 71 caps; Rugby World Cup 2015
Sean Maitland (Saracens) – 40 caps; Rugby World Cup 2015
Byron McGuigan (Sale Sharks) – 8 caps
Ali Price (Glasgow Warriors) – 24 caps
Henry Pyrgos (Edinburgh) – 27 caps; Rugby World Cup 2015
Finn Russell (Racing 92) – 44 caps; Rugby World Cup 2015
Tommy Seymour (Glasgow Warriors) – 50 caps; Rugby World Cup 2015
Duncan Taylor (Saracens) – 21 caps

Vaders Jester fucked around with this message at 14:05 on May 7, 2019

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

With Richie Gray do you think they're waiting for the end of the Top 14 season? Strange decision otherwise. I did wonder if McDowall had done enough to get selected.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Yeah, I reckon that's the case with Gray. I did wonder about McDowall and/or Steyn so potentially seeing how they get on in the Pro14 finals before making a decision. I was hoping it was Cameron Redpath but he seems set on England now after his call up to the U20 squad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
Hell Awaits Rugby World Cup Referees

Nic Berry (Australia)
Angus Gardner (Australia)
Wayne Barnes (England)
Luke Pearce (England)
Jιrτme Garcθs (France)
Romain Poite (France)
Pascal Gaόzθre (France)
Mathieu Raynal (France)
Ben O’Keeffe (New Zealand)
Paul Williams (New Zealand)
Jaco Peyper (South Africa)